What Items Should We Bring

Plans, operations, and intentions

Moderator: Imarë

What Items Should We Bring

Postby Imarë » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:38 am

Ewen makes a good point about how we should go. I think we should bring our normal items (armor etc) with some additions. It is also my belief that Sir Baris should not bring his new suit, there are just too few of them in existence and could be tracked back to him (I believe Matt said there are fewer than a dozen (though not the number he used) in the kingdom). My thoughts after this are:

1) sleeping draft in case we are able to spike something in the abbey

2) crowbar for pursuasion

3) rope with grappling hook

4) provisions and gear for camping and a road trip (either there or on the way away from there)

Do we wish to carry some of the nastier items we found in Slakka's chest (i.e. the poison)?

Bring some of the toys from the basement to repay the hospitality we received in Selvos?

Also, any concrete ideas on disguise? Changing of clothing would be a given, but armor is harder to disguise. Was hair coloring an option at this time, and what would it entail? Would wigs make a better option? Do we know how many groups we wish to arrive in (I think more than one is preferable) and how we should handle communications between them (different inns if possible and separate stories would be best to me). Imare does not think that arriving in port by ship is a great idea, she thinks that landing away from settlement is best (unless we decide to go to Aleath to gather information). We have places to go, people to kill here! Lets get on the ball.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Re: What Items Should We Bring

Postby Matt » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:46 am

Imarë wrote:(I believe Matt said there are fewer than a dozen (though not the number he used) in the kingdom).

What I said was that such a suit of armor is found only amongst the King and the great nobles - as in the earls. Perhaps some of the wealthier barons and sheriffs, but rarely amongst even the richest landed knights. A lowly knight bachelor like Sir Baris possessing such armor is unheard of.
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:25 pm

Dave's point about the armor, though, remains legit, although Sir Baris will need to weigh in :wink:

As for disguise, we need to assess how thorough we need to be. If we need to prepare for the eventuality of Palgren gazing upon us prior to the deed (like at a ceremony, or if we cross paths with him for some reason during the prep phase of things), then we need to be as thorough as possible.

To my mind, the most radical disguise would involve a gender switch, because it stacks the deck in one's favor. The eye takes in an individual dressed in the traditional garb of a given gender, and the mind efficiently leaps to conclusions and sort-of fills in impressions or information which isn't really there, and aids the deception. Ewen is 5'8", 138 lbs, and slight of build; it seems plausible that, given the need for winter wear, including head covering, wimple, whatever, that he could pass for a moderately tall, rather plain woman, suitably padded out. Bevan and Imarë, conversely, could feasibly crop their locks and pass with proper attire for young boys, taking a charming page from the Bard's book. Baris and Dascomb are likely lost causes, due to size, but such a scheme would give three of us, at least, and chance for surviving all but close-hand scrutiny, and the gender-distinct clothing distraction should decrease the chance that Palgren would bring such scrutiny to bear.

Is this ludicrous, do you think, or unlikely to prove convincing? Either way we go, I think that the winter weather will assist, given the fact that everyone will be wearing much more clothing, even in the drafty abbey.

And yes, I had forgotten the poison from the Lenesque loot. Do you have notes on what we have? What better time to use the stuff? (Well, maybe when we find Stavron and Valgari :twisted: )
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:46 pm

Speaking of the Bard, there's a new biography of the Earl of Oxford which takes the authorship debate a step further. Rather than the usual attempt to prove one way or the other, this one takes Edward de Vere's authorship of Shakespeare as a given with amazing results. It is, in fact the first literary biography of Shakespeare, and in my view, puts the final nail in the man from Stratford's coffin.

The section on Oxford's Italian progress, complete with references to plays and poems along the way, and the startling observation that saving Rome itself, the only places in Italy that appear in the Shakespeare canon are places Oxford visited, and the canon is silent on all other places. If the guy from Straford is the author, that is one incredible coincidence.

At Amazon here.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled Harn ...
Last edited by Matt on Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:03 am

On gender change, I think it would be needed to only change the balance of the group (one more male or female). If he has left word to look for us, it is as 3 men and 2 women. Making it the other would change some of the looks (if we even decide to stay as one group that is, a couple and a party of three would be even more difficult to find if we don't all gather together and chat every morning). Mass conversion would be hard to carry off. What if the one which is changing sex were to keep close to the room (if we are staying at an inn). They would then only be seen when entering (does not even have to take part in getting the rooms, only one trip up the stairs). If we are going with the waiting for more to our party, we could engage more rooms than we actually are using in preparation for our companions. We should decide what the story is, how many we are waiting for and how our group (s) will be made up. I think that the longer we all stay in the village the more likely that we are spotted is, so we should try to make our move as early as possible in the stay. We should have our plan for flight ready to be carried out immediately and be prepared to use it if we are found and unable to complete our task.

The only items we were able to discern from Slakka was fantosel and gaethipa. The primary item was not evident to us. The poison would have the benefit of killing the victim quickly, but any stray strike could effect a party member. It's use would implicate Nahvites as the killers, a complication we should consider carefully (I would hate to have them after us for the action), but they seem rather low key from what we have seen (unless we make the monthly lottery of death). If we are caught with this stuff on us it could go badly also, I believe it is quite illegal.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:21 am

Imarë wrote:If we are caught with this stuff on us it could go badly also, I believe it is quite illegal.

Gaethipa is an illegal poison.

Fanosel, as a hallucinogenic really doesn't matter one way or the other, but it tends to be 'restricted' rather than outright illegal. More or less frowned upon in the hinterland, tolerated within reason in the cities.
Matt
The GM

Return to I Dare Do all that May Become ...