The Return

Plans, operations, and intentions

Moderator: Imarë

The Return

Postby Matt » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:02 pm

Any thoughts on how you plan to return to Golotha? Via the Corani Road seems the most obvious choice, especially as it allows for a detour to Coranan which I'm sure Sir Auram would appreciate. This is even more true given the alterations made to your mission. However, a sea voyage from Aleath to Golotha is also possible. Either route means braving the elements, just in different ways.
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:18 pm

My vote would be for the route which gets us to Coranan first, which I assume would be the land route from Aleath to the capitol. As we discussed, I think it would behoove us to get our account of things to Sir Auram sooner rather than later. Anyway, barring unforeseen complications :roll: , I should imagine we'll still get back to Golotha earlier than we had anticipated when we departed.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Bevan » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:07 pm

Absolutely agree! Get to Coranan as soon as possible.

I wonder if Iblis Milaka will survive the Laranian killing spree long enough to get out of Dodge? Although that would certainly simplify matters. :twisted:
Bevan
Squire
Squire

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:21 pm

Somehow, I think the wily ole gal will survive the situation in Chendy. For myself, I hope she does, because I'd like to see how our gambit plays out. If she's smart and throws her lot in with the crown as agreed, preaching in support of Arren II with the cache of her old Kandaysian blood behind her rhetoric, I think the crown of Tharda stands to gain a bit more than her simple death would otherwise yield. That, at least, is our rationale for diverging from Sir Auram's clear instructions, and as such we had better hope it works... 8)
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:47 pm

I also believe the land route would be quicker (we have done it before so we should have some idea). The weather will probably cause more delays on a sailing vessel then on foot (or even horse).
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:23 pm

Grand, this gives me some idea so I can plan. Horses are certainly a possibility as the travel will be largely on the Corani Road, which you will recall is paved. Of course, you would have to acquire the mounts ...
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:21 pm

Sounds like a plan, although I'm not sure Ewen brought along enough of the ready to purchase anything but an indifferent mount.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:05 am

If we were to buy anything, it would be for short term only, as we have a full compliment of horses at the house in Golotha. Is there some kind of transport we can hire to take us or would the use of our feet be too horrible to consider?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:53 am

The stagecoach is a few centuries away. :wink:

Riding halves the time to Coranan over walking. Horses tend to cost on average 360d for a decent riding palfrey. That's the cost/benefit analysis you'll need to do. 8)
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:36 am

Well, Imare has the remains of the 500d which she brought and a bauble (which she would not like to part with if at all possible thank you). I believe that Bevan brought a similar amount of pence and several crowns. I suppose we could buy horses and then sell them in Coranan and take ship back to Golotha (although winter may make convenient barges unavailable).
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:16 pm

Ewen has 330d, so he may need to mooch off somebody (novel predicament) :oops:
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:36 pm

Hey! This could be like Sir Arlen. I believe that Bevan loaned money but then charged interest. What kind of userous rate would you be willing to pay? (I am sure that I would be able to help provide for you and at the same rate I charged Sir Arlen, 0%)
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:12 pm

Hard to carp at 0% :D

While it seems pretty predicable we'll buy at retail and sell at wholesale, I'm figuring the expense is worth the need to get to Sir Auram without dallying.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:42 pm

The speed may indeed be worthwhile. We need to think what to do with the rest of the winter. Imare has some questions in (have not checked home e-mail yet) which may occupy her. I might also suggest getting to Selvos before Baya (if still there) becomes some peasants pot luck supper one night. Does anybody have any other ideas (presuming that Sir Auram accepts our work and does not have us summarily executed)?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:28 pm

An excellent idea. We should consider perhaps whether any loose ends can be tied up, or how we might occupy the winter in a way that can reap dividends come Spring. The main issue remaining on the table, certainly, is Valgari, which Sir Auram pointed out rather tartly during his last meeting with Bevan. We might wish to brainstorm here whether we can generally do any watching or research over the Winter to further the assignment in this quarter. Certainly, barring complications, Arnys will continue to settle into Golotha and perhaps begin, as he gets more familiar with the city, bringing in more information. It seems to me that it would behoove us to cultivate more nodes in an information network in the city we plan to use as our base, but I confess that Ewen can't feasibly shoulder the burden of multiple employees himself at this point. He may, however, be able to pick up a few more contacts if Nicola ever manages to scare up some weddings for him to play in, or something.

Of course, training each other over three months should glean some nice rolls. Ewen can certainly continue drilling Bevan on swordplay, etc.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:28 pm

Imarë wrote:Imare has some questions in (have not checked home e-mail yet) which may occupy her.

I've not yet replied but you won't need to worry about being occupied.

Imarë wrote:I might also suggest getting to Selvos before Baya (if still there) becomes some peasants pot luck supper one night.

The peasants may be revolting but they aren't disgusting. 8)
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:08 am

My gut feeling about Baya is that the window of opportunity has closed by now. Having said that, should Ewen unexpectedly be asked by Allesa of Aerth to return his embassy to Selvos (unlikely: another closed window), he'd be happy to mooch around for the pooch.

But really. The monumental inattention which led to the mutt's disappearance has only been superceded by the palpable apathy and lassitude which has greeted any recovery plans. In short, people really should be certain that they can properly care for a pet before they adopt one. That's what I say.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:07 am

The problem, as I see it, is that Bevan did not go to the pound and adopt a pet, she paid cash money for her. If you love something, set it free. If it does not come back, hunt it down and kill it :twisted: I think we, at least, owe Baya to search for her. It might also do our egos and reputations some good, our Laranian friend has been removed (both from Selvos and Kethira) and we are still here.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:23 am

Imarë wrote:The problem, as I see it, is that Bevan did not go to the pound and adopt a pet, she paid cash money for her.

I don't recall this - I thought she was just 'acquired.' The notes from that period, are alas, silent on the matter. In any event, we'll assume for purposes of debate that Baya was purchased for a trifling sum.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:35 am

I would hate to see what the current replacement cost on an Ivian wolfhound would be. Bevan just does not seem to be Bevan without a dog to forget about...
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Imarë » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:12 am

The session is right on top of us. Are there any other actions which we should discuss here and not tie up game time with? I have been thinking of additions to staff which we (with Bevans approval of course) could think about. I remember we have a major domo, cook, errand boy, and stableman. Do we have a serving maid? In addition, I have noticed that most houses of affluence in Golotha seem to have a guard or twenty. Do we wish to follow the dictates of fashon here and add one or two for home security? If we wish to, I would rather spend a little time and try to find people in Coranan for either rather than depend on the local labor force of Golotha. If others think this a wise course, Imare would be willing to pay for one of them herself. Let me know what you think.

We, Ewen in particular, might want to spend a little time with Arva and see if he can't work on some way to change his appearance. His brother seems to be in and out of the city and knows what he looks like. A way to maybe let Ewen roam about without recognition might be nice (there is probably somebody watching us at least at times from Stavron or his master). We need to start figuring a way to gain some traction here and (may the gods help us), gain the initiative.

This is all I have to offer at this time. Please feel free to comment.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:32 am

There is a serving maid who also works as a scullery maid. The household staff from a servant POV is complete. You're already living at a very comfortable level there (didn't know there were rules to determine that didja?) and any additional staff would add little to the affluence of the household.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:34 am

This is just the house staff or would it encompass a guard staff?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:53 am

Servants as you have no guards at the moment. Nor would guards be considered servants. :wink:

However, more people might change the numbers a bit, and I'd have to recalculate. Not a problem.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:18 pm

And knowing the amount of rules etc that have come out, I would not be surprised to learn that there are rules for the number of potty breaks under all circumstances.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Next

Return to I Dare Do all that May Become ...