Back to old haunts...

Plans, operations, and intentions

Moderator: Imarë

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:43 pm

Regarding the locksmith, I suspect he is already inquisitive, and quite likely to retail his info about our inquiries to Stavron if given the slightest opportunity, albeit while eliding details about just how much he told us about Stavron's business. On the other hand, if we involve him in the plot, he can sponge further money off of both sides (cash from us to bait the hook, and cash from Stavron as a finder's fee for putting him on to a potential investor in his gadgets). Not wanting to suggest to the greasy locksmith that we intend to kill S, we might even imply to the locksmith that the scheme is a means of recouping our supposed lost money via a scam, all of which he can later feign ignorance about if confronted by an angry S.

Is this scheme worth fleshing out further, or have a dud? :wink:
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:56 pm

As for Sir Peten's actions in the wake of us murdering his follower, a few hints cast carefully upon the waters may well get us mind-blasted, but perhaps only if we choose our hints poorly and fail to prepare adequately.

Golotha is a dangerous town, and a colleague or friend being killed does not immediately equate with a plot to be murdered as well.

If I heard word that my colleague was possibly murdered the night before in Golotha, I'd go to Boraga's. :twisted:

So one plan we might consider: kill Stavron, ensure that his body is picked up by the barge, spread some rumors of a witnessed killing of a red-head, and then stake out Boraga's. Ambush when appropriate 8)

And just to make sure, we might want to contribute to our embalmer friend's retirement fund in order to get him to claim not having the body should Deryn attempt to claim it.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:02 pm

I think that Sir P. would be much more dangerous if Stavron were captured and not killed. Alive he might say things about Sir P. that he really does not want to have get around. If we want to make him "shoot from the hip" as it were, we either capture Stavron or make it seem like we have captured Stavron. If we kill him, Sir P. can take his lesure in revenge if he does anything at all (who knows, it may be a "thank the gods that the pest is dead").
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Imarë » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:03 pm

I thought Sir Ewens avitar had changed to his crest? What's going on here.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:04 pm

It's still my crest on my screen. What do you have? :?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:10 pm

Hard to know how Sir P will respond. Recall, he is a fugitive and attainted by the crown, so I would be concerned that anything suspicious will cause him to go to ground, likely leaving Golotha (assuming, of course, that he's in Golotha now). My thought about making the death seem a mundane Golothan death was partly with this in mind: if I was Sir P, and a follower died, I would need to make some rapid determination as to whether the guy's luck in Golotha had simply run out, or whether I was in danger myself. Considering our own pattern of behavior in the past, my thinking was that Sir P might wish to view the body.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:11 pm

I have the harp on my screen. I know it had changed (for at least awhile) but now it is the way it used to be. Bevans new shield is still there though.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:16 pm

'Zounds! Stripped of my arms already! I shall appeal to the College of Heralds!

Seriously, my avatar still bears a gentle aspect on this end. 8)

Perhaps you need to empty your browser cache?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:19 pm

Sir Ewen wrote:Perhaps you need to empty your browser cache?

This typically does the trick. 8)
Matt
The GM

Postby Matt » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:56 pm

It occurs to me that many things have been floated here, and some even, perhaps, just maybe, decided - in a tentative sort of way.

Perhaps it might be useful to summarize these decisions in short (as in one line) bullet points which can be considered action items. (I'll even print it for the session.)

Just a thought. 8)
Matt
The GM

Postby Bevan » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:09 pm

Sir Ewen wrote:Dave raises a good question: if we get an opportunity to strike Stavron with surprise, but have yet to ascertain sufficient info to lead us to Sir Peten, do we refrain or go ahead? The advantage of refraining would include the chance to follow his movements in hopes of his pointing the way to Sir P or his actually meeting with Sir P, thus helping us to draw a bead on Sir P.

Part of our job is to also deal with Sir P. Staron is our only lead at this point. We don't even know what Sir P looks like. It seems if we kill our only lead to quickly would be to shoot ourselves in the foot. I am concerned with not being ready to deal with the results of killing Staron without any information on Sir P. We also have not confirmed the man who has been going to the locksmith is Stavron. I know it seems likely as there are not many red-heads but I don't want to put the horse before the cart.
Bevan
Squire
Squire

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:33 pm

Well, I for one do not disagree with these points, although we have also enumerated some valid reasons for killing the red-head quickly as well. It's a tough call, from my view, and without sufficient information we may certainly live to regret taking either course of action. Dave's original point was, I think, a good one though. We should take our straw poll and decide in advance how we would handle a scenario wherein we have an opportunity shot at Stavron, because the GM is unlikely to let us freeze time and debate it then and there. Having made our decision, we can certainly modify or change it if new information or circumstances present themselves in the course of the session.

Your point about the uncertainty regarding the identity of "Koltho Valgari" is spot on as well. I would add that, should the red head turn out to not be Stavron, then he is likely to be a blood relative of Valgari. In that case, we may well have two Deryni on our hands, which is a sobering prospect should we take them both on at once.

I admit I would feel more sanguine about tailing the red head in hopes of gaining info about Sir P's whereabouts if one of us was more, shall we say, stealthy. But our two huntresses are more comfortable outside of town, and I fear that our ability to stealthily monitor the red-head for any extended period of time without being discerned will founder on the rocks of insufficient skill. Having said that, it sure would be nice to find out where the red-head lives, and to search his place while he is out on the town.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:05 pm

Well, here's my attempt at an outline, with apologies if I have missed or mischaracterized anything

Sir Peten Quest:

• Bevan purchases real estate near Deryn’s brothel
• Hire girl to spy within brothel as a serving maid, or as a prostitute
• Hire a john to spy within brothel as a frequent patron
• Arnys keeps watching locksmith’s place
• Investigate where else Stavron might attempt to sell his gadgets
• Set up Stavron by staging a potential buyer for his clockwork devices
• Develop surveillance on Stavron to determine where he lives, where he frequents, who he meets.
• Don’t kill Stavron until we agree we have sufficient leads on Sir Peten
• Kill Stavron and hide it: don’t let Sir Peten suspect anything
• Kill Stavron and attempt to lure Sir Peten to Boraga’s, where we ambush him

Sword quest:

• Question Piers Gavela about Egon of Hassler’s fate
• Consult Litigants Guild in Golotha re Egon
• Retrace land route backward from Golotha to Techen
• Try to find out where Egon’s family of origin is
• Pursue Sir Baris’ connections in Techen to learn about Egon’s fate
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:20 pm

Seems to cover everything, but I am at home and don't have much time to work on this (why yes, I am bored out of my skull at work, what makes you ask?).
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:25 pm

Thanks Van - printed for tomorrow.
Matt
The GM

Previous

Return to I Dare Do all that May Become ...