Koltho is dead...now what?

Plans, operations, and intentions

Moderator: Imarë

Postby Imarë » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:14 pm

Good idea Sir Ewen as Bevan will have to beard the lion in its den. I am not trying to go against this, I just want to be sure we are ready and willing to pay the price that it might be (and to use it as little as possible). I also wanted to go into this with our eyes open (that he might be protecting Sir Peten whether or not he is a member of the LK, bribes can be a wonderful thing).

Interesting that an attained noble has no reward on his capture (especially as the IG of Tharda is on his butt). It is also interesting that Lord Graver has sent a non-deryni party to deal with a deryni, either he is not terribly powerful or maybe there are other considerations going on behind the scenes :twisted:
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:06 pm

I hope Bevan's meeting with Jarop won't add up to a bearding, as it seems probable, based upon our experience with Jarop before, that the worst that might happen during the meeting is that Jarop declines to make the deal and warns us off. I can't see him getting overtly bent out of shape or anything, unless we do something stupid. On the other hand, if Dave's concerns prove valid, and he declines to sell Valgari out, the meeting could trigger some spectacular problems afterward, if he chooses to tip Valgari off for instance.

Hard to guess the odds on this prior to committing ourselves. It's just a course of action more direct than the other ideas, and it benefits from the advantage of one single factor over which we have considerable control: the amount of silver we offer Jarop 8)
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:49 pm

Imarë wrote:Interesting that an attained noble has no reward on his capture

He's not a noble - he's a knight. That makes him gentle, but to be noble one must be at least a baron.

As to the reward, you're not really aware of that many 'bounties' being paid for various heads, at least at the Crown level. 8)
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:53 am

Well, if the collective wisdom is to go to Jarop, we should probably start planning it. There are a few questions we should get organized before Bevan seeks an audience:

1) How much of what we are doing do we confide to him (i.e. the mission to kill him, do we use a name or a description of him, do we take credit for the unfortunate accident which befell his son)

2) How much are we willing to pay for information? The last time we wanted info he did not wish coin, he wanted the layout of Rahels home (the money was a fee to be able to kill Erol). Do we give information or just money? If money, what is our outside budget?

3) Do we leave that this is a directed mission from Lord Graver out of this or do we not care if he knows?

4) What should be said (not specific dialoge, the high points).

Any other things we should think about before a meeting?

BTW, thanks Matt for clarifying his position. I still tend to think medieval Europe where the two are the same.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:38 pm

I looked back at the official account of Bevan's previous visit to Jarop (Session 23 notes) and saw no indication that she revealed her affiliation with the crown, but my private notes (albeit a bit cryptic) seem to suggest that she strongly intimated it. Jarop's response to Bevan's numerous questions seems unlikely without her having established some bona fides along those lines. Does anyone recall specifically?

At any rate, I certainly don't see the need to provide more information about ourselves; simply present to Jarop along the lines of: we're back for a similar interview as last time. Which is true enough, although Dave's reference to our last interview recalls to the mind Jarop's emphasis last time about gaining information about Rahel: I strongly suspect that he'll bring this up, as we never came across with any info and he's likely to use this against us in any bartering now.

As for your other questions, I should think using Sir Peten's name is alright, although I'm uncertain whether we want to come clean about the son. While it might be wholly unnecessary to vouchsafe such information, we tend to agree that, as far as Golotha is concerned, Jarop has a fairly sophisticated web of intelligence. A frank, straight-forward approach accompanied by significant silver worked the first time with Jarop, so I would vote for proceeding along those lines. This would suggest a few rules of thumb: don't lie to the man (he's got enough info that he'll eventually detect this, and any working relationship between him and us will be soured), but don't volunteer anything unless asked (he would hardly respect us if we did otherwise). And, use any information we have (which he doesn't already know) as a commodity in the bargaining, because that's the nature of the game. Finally, don't tread upon his LK turf without nodding to his right to exact a fee or other toll.

Which is a long way of suggesting that we don't mention Koltho at all, but come clean if he probes about it. But remember, he clearly had significant gaps in his knowledge when Bevan met him last time: Among other things, he didn't know about the Baron being ambushed, didn't know who killed Sir Felkar, didn't know who knifed Slakka, didn't connect Rahel's men riding out with the Baron, and didn't know what he wanted to know about Rahel's operation in general. So I wouldn't expect sudden omniscience, in spite of the warranted respect we give him. Who knows, he might not know about Valgari either.

Come to think of it, we may also need to consider: he might revisit those above topics, and wish to know what we have found out. We should consider how we would handle that as well.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:54 pm

Imarë wrote:BTW, thanks Matt for clarifying his position. I still tend to think medieval Europe where the two are the same.

Actually, I follow the historical precedent where there were peasants, gentry (knights), and nobles (those with titles). Oddly enough, Harn canon has it that knights are nobles, but as I find that ahistorical and unwieldy (given that a knight can be created by any knight and thus the nobility can easily get out of hand) so I use the medieval precedent.

This has led to some interesting discussions on the Harn Forum when the subject of nobility comes up as it frequently does. 8)
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:11 am

Does anybody want to bring up anything else before we meet for discussion? Would Bevan like to try out a couple of different lines to Jarop before sitting in front of him? Now would seem the time to do this.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:35 am

Sir Ewen wrote:I looked back at the official account of Bevan's previous visit to Jarop (Session 23 notes) and saw no indication that she revealed her affiliation with the crown, but my private notes (albeit a bit cryptic) seem to suggest that she strongly intimated it. Jarop's response to Bevan's numerous questions seems unlikely without her having established some bona fides along those lines.

To address this now in the light of Imarë's question, neither side in that discussion came out and said it, but both sides strongly intimated, a la 'finger to the side of the nose' that they were on the same team in that way.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:28 pm

As I recall, he did little more than say that we could kill a guy who was not one of his men. He was willing to trade information for information about Rahel's house. The information we got was an unguarded exclamation (or he was giving us information without giving us information). We are now asking him to inform on someone who seems well established in the city and has power (unlike Erol) to hurt him personally. Is it worth a try? Yes. Should we expect miracles (aka information)? Not as sure. Hopefully the stableboy will not come into the house muttering "redrum" over and over.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Previous

Return to I Dare Do all that May Become ...