Specifics for Our Trip East:

Plans, operations, and intentions

Moderator: Imarë

Specifics for Our Trip East:

Postby Imarë » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:24 pm

I would suggest that people review notes 3-5 (which deal with the partys last trip to Kaldor). It suggests that a Thardic knight can live in Tashal openly but I don't know how welcome they would be as the situation becomes more edgy. As I see it, there are two possibilities. First is to find residence in a city. We could also try for a place in the country, which would allow us greater flexibility of movement. Much of this depends on what our specific mission is. We also need to find out if we are just intelligence gathering or will we be involved in sabotage. If we will be doing something like this, a couple of "helpers" might be nice to arrange (some archers maybe?).

On another note, if Sir Ewen is still interested in trying to get Stavron, I would suggest that we were the closest in Coranan (that is where Palissa was murdered, the only time when we can be sure that it was somebody from Sir Ewens past (or himself). One wonders whether Stavron has the same desire for retribution against the Palliser clan? I do not believe that we have spent any time looking in Coranan since we have known the truth. Sir Baris now needs also to determine if he is going to arrange to aquire a squire now that we are heading cross island.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Sir Baris » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:24 pm

Personally, I like the idea of living out in the country, for several rasons. First, it allows us more freedom of movement, as you say. Second, it would be more defensible. Third, it should be easier to escape the authorities should our true mission become known. If we live in a walled city, it is harder to escape, because all the enemy needs to do is close the gates and patrol the walls to make it very difficult for us to escape without bloodshed, and the accompanying risk of our own demise. Escaping in such a situation would be more difficult than avoiding patrols out in the countryside on our way to the border (or to a ship that can take us back into our kingdom).
Vemion delenda est.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Imarë » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:40 am

As I think I mentioned above, the final determination should be after we get specifics of what Lord Graver wants. For some reason I see the party living in the countryside trying to be lobbyists, spreading silver around trying to get our way while throwing lavish parties. Odd notion... Imare does prefer the concept of living in a less urban environment herself.

On the topic of going in under different identities, it might not be possible. While not as famous (infamous?) as her father, Bevan is known by a number of people in Tashal and the environs (Sir Ilken and his staff, Rathbar of Marby and his staff, the mercantiler who cashed Sir Therons note, the inn staff and probably more that we are not aware of). I think it would cause more attention to be drawn to us if Bevan goes under another name and is then recognized as who she is. She was not with the party when summoned by the Earl of Balim, though Imare was. While an unimportant member of the party, we did cause some mayham with what we assume were agents of the Spider Earl. I would not write him off, he seems to be the Kaldoran version of Lord Graver and seems to be looking for Thardic knights to spy for him (his primary interest was Sir Arlen). If we are going to do violence, it might pay to remember the Fens. Bevan made friends there and they are disaffected with the way things currently are. These might be potential allies if we are going to cause problems for people or maybe a base to operate out of. The only problem would be the Peonians and their pacifist ways (might inform or try to disuade cooperation if it involves mayhem).
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:41 am

Imarë wrote:On the topic of going in under different identities, it might not be possible. While not as famous (infamous?) as her father, Bevan is known by a number of people in Tashal and the environs (Sir Ilken and his staff, Rathbar of Marby and his staff, the mercantiler who cashed Sir Therons note, the inn staff and probably more that we are not aware of). I think it would cause more attention to be drawn to us if Bevan goes under another name and is then recognized as who she is.

Bevan has several been in Kaldor several times and is moderately well-known. She almost certainly could not go in incognito. However, neither is she known as a Thardan agent there (except by Sir Ilken). Kaldor and Tharda have been at peace for many years, and knights errant are not uncommon. You saw one from Kaldor in Selvos if you will recall, and no one thought it odd at all.

Discretion is called for to be sure, but using different identities is impossible in Bevan's case and unnecessary in anyone else's.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:51 am

The fact that Bevan is known may help us. This is as far as she can get from daddy and still be in a civilized setting. I was also worried what the Earl of Balim would do if more Thardic knights wandered onto his web.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:14 pm

Imarë wrote:I was also worried what the Earl of Balim would do if more Thardic knights wandered onto his web.

Well he might. I didn't address your points regarding him. :wink:
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:39 pm

This is also probably last chance to go and look for Baya. Once we head to Kaldor we won't have an opportunity for awhile.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:57 pm

My own inclination would be to travel under our own identities, although I should be surprised if Karl, Turpin, etc don't engage in the occasional foray or binge :twisted:

One reason for this is quite simple: it strikes me as potentially more entertaining. Certainly Ewen would like to enjoy the benefits and risks inherent in his new status, and I should imagine Sir Baris would like to strut that plate mail a bit. And I think that the possibilities in Kaldor are much more interesting if tackled from a social standing somewhat more elevated than, say, erstwhile ratcatcher :roll:

And, as the GM points out, the incognito artiface is unlikely to work for very long in Bevan's case anyway.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Lord Ewen » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:32 pm

And my inclination, as well, is to bring Arnys along with us. Especially if we travel as knights and such; an agent who can function as Arnys has been to date should be quite handy. As for Elsa, let me know what you guys think about bringing her as well. The same logic may apply as for Arnys, but I'm certainly open to feedback.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:35 pm

Possible topics of interest to the party:

1) garrisons and their strength in various places of Kaldor

2) regular patrols that check for trouble

3) upsetting these patrols (death and mayhem come to mind)

4) places where rivers and other obsacles can be forded or avoided

5) places to hide troops/raiders within Kaldor

6) general sabotage (see #3)

7) disruption of trade (as I recall, Kaldor is landlocked and we should be able, with some help, make transport dangerous and expensive.

Can anybody else think of anything which we could do that we could suggest to Lord Graver (rule # 1, try not to let the GM let his immagination run wild. If possible, give him some direction)
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:58 pm

Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this, Dave. Here are some initial thoughts...

I would roughly divide up your initial list into three broad categories. First, we have activities which could properly be called scouting / spying (1, 2, 4, 5). Advantages include playing to an oft-underutilized party strength (two hunters), and the ability to pull this off while blithely seeing the sights in Kaldor. Disadvantage is that it seems like the kind of activity a jittery Kaldoric crown may become increasingly concerned with, unless there's a good cover story to offset that. Also, I refer you to my thoughts about the timing of the invasion on the other thread, which I continue to believe bears some discussion. Some of these scouting activities seem more apropos to a more imminent invasion (which I don't anticipate, if my reasoning holds any water).

Second would be the sabotage suggestions (3, 6). Ditto my concern about timing: such activity seems premature to me, and runs the high risk of our needing to eventually flee the kingdom, perhaps just when we might prefer to be present for all of the fun.

And finally, I group the last suggestion (7) by itself, as it touches upon an area Ewen finds particularly intriguing, albeit not quite in the form you describe. Call it instead a plan for the gradual subversion of trade throughout the kingdom, enacted in discrete stages and in a manner which might be conducted with aplomb right under the noses of the Kaldoric ruling class. The key, in fact, would be to structure the plan in such a way as to make it seem a godsend to the Kaldoric crown as it becomes increasingly concerned with an invasion by Tharda, and then to pull the rug out from under the kingdom's financial web in an abrupt manner on the eve of invasion. Disadvantages of such a scheme include, obviously, the amount of time it would necessitate to develop and bring it to fruition prior to the invasion, and the scale and cost of the venture. And we would have to become extremely knowlegable about how the wealth of the crown and the wealth of the merchant class in Kaldor function and inter-relate. Advantages, though, include that it plays upon another party strength: our connections with Palliser, and perhaps Aerth, trade interests. And that it would optimally involve those trade interests (and us, of course) sitting pretty in Kaldor after the invasion.

Another objection to such a scheme seems universal to anything we may generate ourselves: it may prove redundant to what other parties are already embarked upon in Kaldor. But, as we have discussed, that problem needs to resolve itself via Lords Graver and/or Morgan, I suppose, whatever we decide we would like to do.

Thoughts?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Sir Baris » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:50 pm

Sir Ewen wrote:And my inclination, as well, is to bring Arnys along with us. Especially if we travel as knights and such; an agent who can function as Arnys has been to date should be quite handy. As for Elsa, let me know what you guys think about bringing her as well. The same logic may apply as for Arnys, but I'm certainly open to feedback.

Much as Sir Baris likes Elsa, what could she do for us when we are in Kaldor? If she is just going to be a camp girl, I don't think we should bring her along. Moreover, Baris was hoping to get her away from that type of work after her mission was done (although I get the impression she is happy where she is right now). However, you did buy her, so do what you will. :p Just my two coppers.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Imarë » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:06 pm

I think that we have more of a chance of getting her out of this line of work keeping her with us than leaving her in a city (especially Golotha) with no skills other than she has. If she is with us (and we get other servants) maybe she could learn these type of skills. Besides, as we have learned, seducing a man can bring results!
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:52 pm

Imarë wrote:Besides, as we have learned, seducing a man can bring results!

And Imarë oughta know. Badoomboom. 8)
Matt
The GM

Postby Sir Baris » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:08 pm

Imarë wrote:I think that we have more of a chance of getting her out of this line of work keeping her with us than leaving her in a city (especially Golotha) with no skills other than she has. If she is with us (and we get other servants) maybe she could learn these type of skills. Besides, as we have learned, seducing a man can bring results!

That makes sense. And we'll need servants if we are going to be travelling openly. Conspicuous consumption and all.
Vemion delenda est.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Imarë » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:29 pm

Plus, as I indicated earlier, more safety in not having local servants. If is easier for the someone, lets say the spider Earl, to put a spy in our camp if we hire locally. If we bring at least the important parts of our staff this option is not open. They will probably aslo be less likely to be patriots who will run off to the local constabulary if they find our we are doing something against their country. If we are truly despicable (said like Sylvester the Cat), we would choose those with family who will be staying in Tharda to hold over their heads.

If Sir Ewen makes the final decision to bring Elsa along (which I would agree with), Imare would be willing to buy her a suitable wardrobe for the trip and her new functions.

As for Arnys, out of the begger outfit he would probably fit right in at a tavern enjoying the evening. I think he has mastered the art of blending in and not drawing excesive attention to himself.

Sir Baris has not commented on the question about will he still endeavor to get a squire to bring on our travels. Does Sir Ewen have a desire on this front or does he think Arnys will be a good here? What are other thoughts on bringing others with us?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Sir Baris » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:02 pm

Imarë wrote:<SNIP>

Sir Baris has not commented on the question about will he still endeavor to get a squire to bring on our travels. Does Sir Ewen have a desire on this front or does he think Arnys will be a good here? What are other thoughts on bringing others with us?

Yeah, I would definetly like to "acquire" a squire. I wonder if enough time will have passed for me to have heard from my uncle?
Vemion delenda est.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:06 pm

Sir Baris wrote:I wonder if enough time will have passed for me to have heard from my uncle?

Probably during the timeframe of the next session. We'll likely chew up the rest of the winter.
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:15 pm

Sir Ewen is inclined toward bringing both Elsa and Arnys along to Kaldor. Elsa can function as a servant, while the occasional opportunity to use her, um, skills to further the party's aims should take some of the pressure off of Imarë, who has otherwise been our go-to sl*t on previous occasions. :wink:
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:48 pm

Not to mention spawning what seems to be the most popular song on Harn! It might take her decades to live this one down.

On a more personal level, we should be sure to watch our steps if operating in Kaldor. I have finished reading the Harn Player stuff and the penalties if we are caught being naughty (spying et. al.) seems a bit on the harsh side (Selvos all over again).
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:18 pm

Imarë wrote:the penalties if we are caught being naughty (spying et. al.) seems a bit on the harsh side (Selvos all over again).

That would be the light sentence. 8)
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:24 pm

But at least in this case it would probably be deserved, we would have done something.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Imarë » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:00 pm

With our game date rapidly approaching, now would be the time for any last second discussion to take place. Any last ideas? Maybe we could hire a back-up group to support our harper (before you get in a huff, please take stock of your recent performances. They have not been tours de force by any means. I think you can thank the gods that you were not the performer for your latest work, with some of these guys looks probably can kill :lol: ).
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:32 pm

No offense taken. I'm sure your exquisite elven musical sensibilities have been sorely tried by some of my latest performances. :(

Having achieved a knighthood does present one with a natural opportunity to change my emphasis with the character, and a trip to Kaldor enhances the temptation to change my image, as it were. And a history of execrable die rolls presents one with the unfortunate prospect of gaining fame only as Harn's most tone-deaf composer, which I certainly don't relish.

The question is, though, what would be most helpful as we head east? And I think the answer tends to depend on one of the other pertinent issues you have put your finger on in the forum of late: the level of risk that a jittery Kaldor will see us as spies when we get there. It seems to me that a hapless harper de-emphasizing his knighthood might relieve any sense of menace we may emanate in this regard, but I'm not sure whether that's necessary, as we don't yet know the climate of things in Kaldor in the wake of the Orbaal invasion.

I would suggest that we hold off on hiring any kind of troop in Tharda, certainly. And that we emphasize infomation gathering on the way to Kaldor (Trobridge, etc) and once we get there (past party contacts, a few of them former PCs of whom Ewen is only aware by reputation) regarding the likely response within various levels of Kaldoric society to our Thardic presence at this time. It occurs to me, for instance, that a group of wealthy Thardic expatriots interested in starting afresh in the east may attract attention in a manner which may pay us dividends, (attempts to recruit us, or milk us, for example), as opposed to our being summarily hauled off to the nearest block upon arrival. But I think we want to get a feel for which way the wind blows so we can adjust our stance appropriately, and don't just blunder in. Now, Ewen emphasizing his harper side may be the approach that proves helpful to the group, but it's equally possible that we'll get more done with Sir Baris and me mildly flaunting our knighthoods. My hunch is that we need to aim higher in society than pub gigs, though, if we're to accomplish big things in Kaldor.

Again, all of this is predicated on my guess that war is a few years off for Kaldor, minimum. Please advise if you think me off base. If I'm right, this is a long-term operation we're looking at here in Kaldor, and I certainly don't think we'll want to risk anything which might be remotely construed as espionage on the front end of the operation. Unless Kaldor is already in an extreme pitch of paranoia about Tharda, I doubt we'll need to worry about being hanged on the spot upon arrival.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:47 pm

I will point out that Imare, for the most part, is as deaf as a post. Her sensibilities have not been tried in the least 8) .

I suppose most of our cover will be made up once we know what is expected of us. The situation, according to what I have read and remember, is cordial if not friendly. I perceived little animosity toward Sir Arlen (except from the Earl of Balim). Bevan already has friends in Tashal. I think one of the more effective lines would be her trying to get away from Sir Theron. It ought to be fun!
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Next

Return to I Dare Do all that May Become ...