Tashal

Plans, operations, and intentions

Moderator: Imarë

Tashal

Postby Imarë » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:08 am

Now that we have reached the future eastern capital, we need to decide our course of action.

I think Sir Baris and Sir Ewen are positioning themselves well, entering the tournament and fitting in with the knight-errant scene. I am sure that if Sir Ewen were to show his horse in these quarters Iblis would cause quite a stir (they do seem to enjoy horseflesh here).

The introduction through Rhonna I believe will be most useful. I think this connection will at least bring us into the sphere of Lord Morgans followers in helping to subvert the government of Kaldor. I think this is where Lord Graver wants us but, for the sake of plausable deniability, has left the mission open to what we want to do (just as he said that Rahel was "a friend")

It is more difficult to see a place for Bevan and Imare yet, I am sure there are things for us to do that has not struck us yet. Bevan can at least tap the friends she has and aquaintances of her father in Kaldor and she does have connections with the Fenlanders, who are not exactly happy with the present government. I am sure that when Imare is finished with "Brokeback Tashal" there will be something for her to do also.

Ideas/comments?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Re: Tashal

Postby Matt » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:09 pm

Imarë wrote:The introduction through Rhonna I believe will be most useful. I think this connection will at least bring us into the sphere of Lord Morgans followers in helping to subvert the government of Kaldor.

Always good to run with the big kids, but maintaining indepedence will be key.

Imarë wrote:I think this is where Lord Graver wants us but, for the sake of plausable deniability, has left the mission open to what we want to do (just as he said that Rahel was "a friend")

Lord Graver dissemble? I'm shocked. :shock:

Imarë wrote:It is more difficult to see a place for Bevan and Imare yet, I am sure there are things for us to do that has not struck us yet. Bevan can at least tap the friends she has and aquaintances of her father in Kaldor

And her own as well. I see no impediment to the ladies developing 'intrigues' which are separate from the knights or part and parcel. There's also the merchant class, which should not be ignored, and, it goes without saying, underworld. You learned quite a bit in Golotha about how the coup was not the work of one day nor one thing. It was an intricate plan involving many aspects of society. So it would be in Kaldor as well.

Imarë wrote:she does have connections with the Fenlanders, who are not exactly happy with the present government.

True, but they're not a very large or very strong group. Not to be forgotten, but they would play only a minor role at best.

Imarë wrote:I am sure that when Imare is finished with "Brokeback Tashal" there will be something for her to do also.

Well, it will be over in the morning. Rhonna has a taste for the exotic, and an elf certainly fits that bill. She's probably sampled a midget in her time as well ... :wink:
Last edited by Matt on Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:45 pm

Just to be clear on this, I indicated Bevan should "at least tap the friends she has and". I never left off her friends, I just don't know how many she has and who they are.

Point one: we are always loose cannons liable to get anybody in our way. We are trying to avoid pissing off a certain group who have a certain tendency toward violence.

Point two: Lord Graver is the formost proponent of real politique on Harn. I think Machiavelli would have pulled out a notebook.

Point three: We just don't have a plan yet and we need to work on one. I am sure both Bevan and Imare will be able to hold their own. At least now Imare does not have to worry about drunken Agrikan riots to spoil the evening.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:28 pm

Imarë wrote:At least now Imare does not have to worry about drunken Agrikan riots to spoil the evening.

No, but there are the Laranians ... :wink:
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:49 pm

Funny, they seem much more tame... As long as I stay away from destroyed Morgathian temples and don't as impertinent questions I fear nothing because my heart is pure (ok, even I choked over this one).
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:31 pm

Imarë wrote:Point one: we are always loose cannons liable to get anybody in our way. We are trying to avoid pissing off a certain group who have a certain tendency toward violence.

Sorry, I'm always a little slow on the day after game day, so perhaps you'll explain this one a little better?

FWIW, Ewen prefers to think of himself as a tight cannon :rock:
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:48 pm

Sorry, since I know what I am talking about I sometimes write in short hand. I am refering to Matts point about running with the big kids but maintaining independence. I was simply indicating that we are sometimes independent to a fault but we should coordinate with other groups in Tashal doing similar things.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:51 pm

Sir Ewen wrote:FWIW, Ewen prefers to think of himself as a tight cannon :rock:

Gun control means hitting what you aim at. :wink:
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:11 pm

OK, thanks Dave.

I think Rhonna is ample evidence that the coordination aspect has not been overlooked by others, so I doubt we'll have to sweat the issue too much. I would expect a little nudge from certain quarters if we stray into unhelpful terrain. Meanwhile, as you say, the introduction Rhonna referred to should help get the ball rolling nicely, and we can be particularly alert for how Bevan and Imarë can interface with wherever that leads.

We're on the front end of a potentially long-term relationship with the kingdom presently known as Kaldor, and I think our best plan is to network like crazy for a bit. As there is much to learn about the various levels of Kaldoric society, as Matt points out, and most of it is presently unfamiliar to us, I think the most fruitful way for us to plan things at this point is to identify key avenues for said networking, so we have some more ideas to pursue next session.

I've been mulling over the concept, mentioned toward the end last night, of allowing oneself to become drawn more toward that most noble and gracious of deities, Larani. A knighthood does tend to change one's perspective on things, and Ewen perhaps feels strangely less drawn toward all that anonymous Halean sex of late. Strange how life takes its little turns. Bevan care to win over a convert? :twisted:
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:45 am

I am sure Sir Ewen was also swayed by the proselytizing by Barald Palgren. He was just so persuasive.

On the other hand, if you were just in it for the, er, fringe benefits, you can at least afford to replace them now :twisted: . From a pragmatic point of view, Larani would be the way for an up and coming knight to go either in Tharda or Kaldor. I prefer communing with a blue bowl...
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Imarë » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:28 am

I did have one thought, which would tie in to Matts admonition not to forget the merchant classes. It could be a good idea to invest in some merchants (either new or established). It could also give a nice return (at least for awhile, disruption in the future). This could give the party inroads into this area. A couple of us have at least some disposable income.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Bevan » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:23 pm

Sir Ewen wrote: Bevan care to win over a convert? :twisted:
I think it would be great fun to convert a Halean-adict into a Pious Laranian.

As for contributions and tasks for Bevan and Imare I am actually looking forward to the tournament as well. I think this will be a great chance for socializing, perhaps hear gossip about whatever else may be happening in the kingdom.

RE: merchants. Would this be something that Bevan could develop through her ties with the ship? I could look into real estate as well.
Bevan
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:52 pm

Bevan wrote:RE: merchants. Would this be something that Bevan could develop through her ties with the ship?

Not really, Kaldor is landlocked and the Selata's comings and goings are unpredictable anyway.

Bevan wrote:I could look into real estate as well.

This is certainly possible.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:43 am

I had not considered using the ship or Dwilith due to the landlocked state of Kaldor. What I had considered was someone like Dwilith, young and able but with a lack of financing. The main impediment to establishing oneself in business in this time would be the lack of capital, and the guild structure is such to keep those who have arrived in their positions and pass it along in their families (the Aerths for instance). The aristocracy by and large do not get involved in this area personally and there are not a lot of places to go for money (the Tashal Credit Union is a little in the future). We know (from the session) that four major caravans go to and from Tashal each year (I remember the Salt Route Caravan and the Fur Road Caravan but cannot remember the other two). This would be a good way to see what is going on without indiduals arriving alone in a settlement plus it would give access to the merchant class. As it also seems to be something which is lucrative is a plus considering some force in the universe seems to be trying to sweat out as many funds from the party as possible :o . Real estate is usually always a good bet (however, in a place we are sure will be undergoing an attack... Things get broken however careful you are. Be careful.)
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Imarë » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:57 pm

And from our experiences at the Iron Bell, being the booze importer would be a great way to go. Appricott Brandy???? Some Palithanian wine and other "stocks" would probably go over well.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:01 pm

Keep in mind that not being members of the Mercantyler's Guild you cannot act as a merchant in your own right. This doesn't mean you can't invest as a 'silent partner' of course.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:08 pm

Hence my earlier post where I advocate looking for somebody like Dwilith, young and able buy without finances.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Imarë » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:08 pm

re: doing something at the tournament. Any ideas? Could we host social functions (either at the contest itself or in the evening). Becoming more well known before hand would be important here.

Do any of the merchant class go to view the action (social climbers) or is this only for the aristocracy? We could combine the two ideas if they do go.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:06 pm

If I recall correctly, we were told that the tournament takes place at the same time as the fair in Tashal. We were led to believe that the nobles and merchants go separate ways at that point. I'm sure we can pursue other options re the merchants at a different time.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:30 pm

That's correct - the two are separate.

The notion of the social-climbing guildsman doesn't really work either. That sort of thing is more of a Rennaissance concept than Medieval. This is not to say it doesn't happen, but the class structure is too rigid for it to be a common occurance. Ne-er-do-wells such as yourselves sure, but the guidlsmen know their place in ways you never shall ... :wink:
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:38 am

The tournament should be fine for Sir Ewen and Sir Baris, their popularity should wax and wane with their feats on the field. Bevan is also a member of that set even if from a different country. I am also sure that the elevation of Sir Theron and his new governmental position has not slipped past unnoticed even if she does not play them up. She should be a sought out commodity by those who want to get information out of her. Imare, on the other hand, is not a member of this community (in fact she is neither fish nor fowl...) and would just fit in as, perhaps, an oddity. I will have to think more about what I want her to do but it does not look like the tournament will be fertile ground for her (and not that kind of fertile).
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:19 pm

Actually, I'm hoping that Sir Baris and myself can attain popularity regardless of how the tournament events go for us, although a strong showing would certainly help things along and mitigate embarassment. I see the tourney as a chance to network at the social level of knights and nobles, and hopefully strategically attach ourselves (non-officially) to some highly placed persons. For a specific (if theoretical) example, if one (or both) of us were to use the event to successfully become the carousing buddy of an Earl's eldest son, new boon companion and all that, get invited back to the old pile, do some hunting in the demesne woodland, this would be a very good thing, no? And certainly not entirely dependent upon our unseating all comers at the tilting. Think of Ewen with Sir Zaurial's Agrikans, only with a Laranian spin to it all; what's called for here is more panache and bonhomie than martial prowess (which means we can still succeed even if the dice play us foul).

Which isn't to say we shouldn't practice; I'd like to whittle away as much of the inevitable die-roll penalties Matt is likely to sic on us for various reasons (oh, hasn't picked up a lance in years, just got the horse a few weeks ago, etc.). But I think our goal should be some variant of my example above, and believe there's some precedent for the notion that slightly exotic, foreign knightly companions might be seen as a feather in some noble's cap, without our having to endure the encumbrance of officially joining a noble household like was briefly mentioned last session. Similarly, wouldn't some Kaldoric young lady of noble family perhaps enjoy the social edge gained over her friends/rivals by being seen about the tournament with Bevan Palliser and/or an exotic elven girl as her new particular friend? (Which isn't to overlook the more serious, business-like connections Bevan also has a knack of cultivating.) I strongly feel that a little industry should make the tournament an ideal launching pad for both of the ladies in the party, with the goal of getting us into the highest possible social circle as soon as possible.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:50 am

While it certainly is possible to gain advantages from loss, I still think that victory will bring many more friends. It would also help if, should loss be the result, to do so with grace. Both the knights can be certain to create some attention just due to being from elsewhere and being unknown.

Bevan I am sure will create some definite interest just due to her name (much as she hates that everybody seems to know daddy). Warning should be taken however, I am sure that she will be watched at least at some level (remember how Sir Klydis knew all about her, her mission, and her actions). I do not doubt that the Earl of Balim would be be caught flat footed and he or others will try to cultivate her.

As for Imare, many do not know what an elf is. The only recognition of her status as an elf has been a few individuals (King Arren II, Lord Morgan, Sir Theron). Others who are (were) smart have totally missed the fact that she is an elf (our friend the Serolon had her under his eye in toto and yet could not grasp the fact she was an elf when she told him). To most I believe I will be the tall thin chick with the two Rethemi knights and Theron Pallisers daughter. Elves seem to really keep to themselves and most cannot identify any differences. While she would gladly help with anything, the tournament and getting close to aristocrats (nobles & knights) is probably not her forte.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:06 am

Sir Ewen wrote:I'd like to whittle away as much of the inevitable die-roll penalties Matt is likely to sic on us for various reasons (oh, hasn't picked up a lance in years, just got the horse a few weeks ago, etc.).

Now would I do that? :shock:

Sir Ewen wrote:Similarly, wouldn't some Kaldoric young lady of noble family perhaps enjoy the social edge gained over her friends/rivals by being seen about the tournament with Bevan Palliser and/or an exotic elven girl as her new particular friend?

A lot depends on the ladies here ...

Imarë wrote:While it certainly is possible to gain advantages from loss, I still think that victory will bring many more friends. It would also help if, should loss be the result, to do so with grace.

Both good points.

Imarë wrote:I do not doubt that the Earl of Balim would be be caught flat footed and he or others will try to cultivate her.

He already knows her.

Imarë wrote:As for Imare, many do not know what an elf is. The only recognition of her status as an elf has been a few individuals (King Arren II, Lord Morgan, Sir Theron). Others who are (were) smart have totally missed the fact that she is an elf (our friend the Serolon had her under his eye in toto and yet could not grasp the fact she was an elf when she told him).

This is true. It's not a question of intelligence, but experience. To most, elves are a legend - possibly imaginary. Even to those who know about them, to know one on sight is very difficult. One might note that those who have have mostly been either Deryni and Shek Pvar.

Imarë wrote:the two Rethemi knights

Thardan please!

Imarë wrote:While she would gladly help with anything, the tournament and getting close to aristocrats (nobles & knights) is probably not her forte.

Why not? I see no impediment there. The most logical role, admittedly, is as a huntress in the retinue, but that's not the only option.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:12 am

We seem to have hit a lull in the conversation. Does anybody have any bright (or not so bright) ideas or thoughts they wish to share?

For the two knights, sorry. Thardans (happy now?)

We were not there when the Earl met with her, I only know he found out about Sir Arlen very quickly. Good thing he did not seem to want to work for either side.

I thought recognition might have something to do with familiarity with magic but I did not (and do not) have any evidence beyond those I have met. Did not wish to bite off too much with conjecture. I have some suspicion that is one of the reasons that Rhonna was interested. She seems to relate much better to magical things and Imare does have some of these qualities (different but still magical by birth, like deryni).
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Next

Return to I Dare Do all that May Become ...