Red

Plans, operations, and intentions

Moderator: Imarë

Red

Postby Imarë » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:37 pm

This is just to open a topic in case anybody wants to talk about what we have seen in Tashal so far. The Baron seems an interesting person, but I don't know if he is as well informed as his companion Para. Some of her cryptic comments are due some pondering (or, knowing our group, pandering). Hopefully the knights will be able to do as he asks in humiliating the son of the bastard (sorry at work, no notes). We also need to delve into the relationship between the Morganettes and Rahel. From her actions (or lack of them), she seems to be something different than they are, but there is a connection.

Our other main contact, the "First Lady of Tashal" I don't know what to make of. Do we feel she is a harmless eccentric or do we feel she is shrewd in acting the way she does (I vote for the second). The same can be said of Astarock, is he in his dotage or is he using this as a cover. Bevan would know better (having met him before) but exactly where does he fit on the spectrum.

Anybody mulling over anything else they want to share or to make points on what I have brought up?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Re: Red

Postby Matt » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:01 pm

Imarë wrote:Hopefully the knights will be able to do as he asks in humiliating the son of the bastard.

Maldan Harabor and his two sons.

Imarë wrote:The same can be said of Astarock, is he in his dotage or is he using this as a cover. Bevan would know better (having met him before) but exactly where does he fit on the spectrum.

Nope, he's always been a curmudgeonly pain.
Matt
The GM

Re: Red

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:23 pm

Imarë wrote:Our other main contact, the "First Lady of Tashal" I don't know what to make of. Do we feel she is a harmless eccentric or do we feel she is shrewd in acting the way she does (I vote for the second).

Based upon pretty explicit warnings from both Rhonna and Para, as well as our own observation of her manipulations on the evening of the dinner, she is far from harmless. And Para's indication that assasination may be called for catapults the Lady Cheselyne, in my mind, up to the very highest category of threat. Para was quite clear as well that we were in grave peril during the party should any of us prove unguarded in our comments or behavior, which seems no trivial warning.

The fact that she manipulated a potential tryst between Sir Baris and the Baron of Kolorn's wife should give us pause, as I suspect there may be much more than eccentric fun in this. One thing we should consider in depth on the forum is how Baris should proceed at this point.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:32 pm

I am thinking the question about removing the Lady Cheselyne could have been to see how far you would be willing to go. The Morganettes are very intense people devoted to a cause and a person. They may want to see how far you will go in that direction. She could be either an overt problem (active in the behind the scenes machinations) or just be an impediment which would be safer to remove than allow to, perhaps, start something (Evil Erol, the entire Rethemi royal family, etc.). I get the impression she is not idly waiting for events to unfold however. She has arranced a couple of very interesting marriages for her daughters. I expect much depends on how she sees her and their roles in any upheaval. I think, however, problems with her may be further away than current events. The tournament and the humiliation of Maldan Harabor et fils will give the Knights respect in society and with both official and unofficial Thardan powers.

Sir Baris has to make sure that his mount if fully trained and both have to polish up their martial skills (they have not been in great demand as of late except in certain nocturnal jaunts which would, according to the rules of the tournament, ban them from participation).
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:16 pm

Well at any rate, I concur with the notion of Lady Cheselyne being more diabolical than dotty, and agree that Para was testing the limits of Ewen's willingness to go the extra league. But I also think she was serious, in that the death of the lady may well be called for at some point. It would be helpful for us to deepen our understanding of why this might be so.

The lady's motives for setting up Sir Baris with the Baron of Kolorn's philandering wife are, to my mind, unlikely to be innocent. If she suspects that there is more to our presence in Tashal than the amusements of travel, she may wish to hamstring us early on with a very public social imbroglio. While a new boy-toy for the baroness (is that the term in use?) is hardly fresh news, a foreign knight might give a fresh twist to an old story, and the attention might cast perhaps too bright a spotlight on our other activities. Not that we can't turn the situation to our favor, though, making it worth taking her bait, but we definitely need to examine the angles on this.

As for humiliating the Harabors, whether it gains us respect in Kaldoric society will depend upon its execution, I suspect.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Return to I Dare Do all that May Become ...