Relative of Fatal Bout at Tournament
No votes
One of the Other Suitors
20%
Damn, Sir Ewen should take the "How to Win Friends" Class
40%

Total votes : 5

Postby Matt » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:38 pm

Sir Baris wrote:Matt won't have to spend so much time correcting my misspellings of names. :)

I approve and endorse this sentiment. :D
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:43 pm

Sir Baris wrote:So far, I think we've only decided that Imare should attend the archery contest, and anything else we could do is fraught with peril.

:lol:

Teddy, your idea of Kaelyn scrying potential enemies for clues to which camp sent the assassin is excellent, although perhaps a long shot (everything seems that way). I'll post that list of characters this evening, and then perhaps we can figure out who Kaelyn has met. The more time she's scrying, the less time she is out spending Sir Ewen's money. 8)

I think your notion of complaining to prod a meeting with Thilisa is still on the table, but I do worry that she'll see it as a refusal to take No for an answer, and send Sir Rollard again to upbraid me in his drawl. On the other hand, it at least sends the message that Sir Ewen is not so easily put off. What do others think?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:45 pm

Matt wrote:
Sir Baris wrote:Matt won't have to spend so much time correcting my misspellings of names. :)

I approve and endorse this sentiment. :D

Granted, your humble volunteer has already confessed to auditory incomprehension, but he shall do his best :wink:
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:04 pm

It enables me to correct spelling in one place.

You are all aware I can edit any post, right? :wink:
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:24 pm

Completely aware. I've noticed you tinkering with all of our posts, don't think I haven't :wink:
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:37 pm

Mostly spelling corrections. Mostly. :roll:
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:38 pm

I have posted my list of attendees, with apologies for any errors.

I find that I do not know the Baron of Kolorn's given name.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:15 pm

I should correct Sir Ewen bit. I am in favor of the Serolan idea. I just want to know what the suggestion would be to fine tune it.

The other I do disagree with. We have no idea what the Earl's thoughts on "the cause" are. I would think that many of the nobles (at least those with lands) are in favor or keeping the serfs in their places. I just don't see it as a cause that would stand him apart from the others.

Maybe using an intermediary to get the word to Thilisa would be in order, the aforementioned Sir Rollard for instance. He is the captain of her guard and the murder of her guest would reflect poorly on him also. If Sir Ewen were to slip on a banana peel and die he would rejoice but not murdered in the town of the Earl. The question would be would he tell Thilisa about the attempt. I don't see him keeping important information like this to himself, too easy to backfire if something does happen. It would also give a chance to truthread him to see if he already has knowledge.

While I do believe Thilisa has made her decision, that is no reason to sit back and do nothing. I don't believe it will make her change her mind whatever it is but waiting is bad for us and good for whomever is attacking Sir Ewen (and I quote a John Wayne movie here). I just want to be sure that we are making rational choices. I will not hamper in any way Sir Ewen's desire to do whatever he wants to do but I will pick at it if I think it is either unwise or of little value. Imare can just slip away and come back and dance on their grandchildren's graves...
"Hello Sir Baris. Come and play with us. Come and play with us, Sir Baris. Forever... and ever... and ever."
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:53 pm

Sir Ewen wrote:I have posted my list of attendees, with apologies for any errors.

I find that I do not know the Baron of Kolorn's given name.

Damn few as it happens. I've added Kolorn's name, and made (very) minor corrections.

Of course, I did let Sir Rollard's position of 'lapdog' stand, but that isn't his official title one understands.
Matt
The GM

Postby Matt » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:58 pm

Imarë wrote: Imare can just slip away and come back and dance on their grandchildren's graves...

That would rather imply that Thilisa chooses Sir Ewen, does it not?

And it's T-H-I-L-I-S-A.
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:11 am

I do find the idea of complaining through Sir Rollard an interesting variation on Teddy's idea. I'll post later today my thoughts on it...
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:24 am

I really should identify who I am talking about. I was indicating if everything went bad and Sir Ewen were killed. I will dance on the killers grandchildren's graves.
"Hello Sir Baris. Come and play with us. Come and play with us, Sir Baris. Forever... and ever... and ever."
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:35 am

Imarë wrote:I really should identify who I am talking about. I was indicating if everything went bad and Sir Ewen were killed. I will dance on the killers grandchildren's graves.

Jeez, it's getting bad. Even my friends enjoy imagining me dead. :cry:
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:24 pm

OK, as promised. Dave's idea, building on Teddy's concept, yielded the following missive, sprung full-blown into my head this morning as I brewed coffee. So here's the letter:

Sir Rollard D'Audrieu
Minarsas Castle

Nuzyael 23, 732

My dear Sir Rollard,

Thank you again for the care you took yesterday in conveying the Lady Thilisa's wishes regarding our invitation, previously tendered, that she might honor our table at the Green Dragon Inn.

I find it my regretful duty to apprise you that an attempt was made upon my life at that same inn, in the small hours of yesterday night. While you will be pleased to hear that I emerged from the ordeal unscathed, you will no doubt share my concern that such an underhanded assault upon my person bodes ill for the perfect tranquility of the upcoming happy occasion. I am distressed, as well, to contemplate the possibility that this ungallant behavior might be instigated by the esteem in which I hold the lady you serve, and directed by the hand of someone who considers my devotion to the lady less than convenient. I feel that I would be remiss in not acquainting the captain of my lady's guard with the possibility that an inclination toward manslaughter may reside within the breast of someone who might aspire to future intercourse with the lady.

While foremost in my mind is the necessity that the present festivities be in no way discommoded by my misadventure yesterday night, I must say that, should my inquiries into the matter bear fruit, I do intend to seek satisfaction to the fullest extent afforded by my present station and the dictates of honor. Any words of counsel regarding the matter from yourself would be, as always, greatly appreciated.

I remain, yours &c.

Sir Ewen of Ravinargh
Green Dragon Inn
Minarsas
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:07 pm

Sir Ewen wrote:
Imarë wrote:I really should identify who I am talking about. I was indicating if everything went bad and Sir Ewen were killed. I will dance on the killers grandchildren's graves.

Jeez, it's getting bad. Even my friends enjoy imagining me dead. :cry:

And yet, clearly envisioning surviving the debacle. There may be some loyalty issues ... :shock:
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:51 pm

Perhaps it's just anticipatory schadenfreude.

A particularly elven indulgence?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:59 pm

Since there seems little interest in those not of knightly rank by Kaldoric standards, we lesser minions would probably be able to scamper off once the primary deed were accomplished. Of lesser chance is surviving the attentions of daddy and sis...

I think the note (at least on first reading) is good. I might choose a different word than intercourse in the letter. You get enough barbs in the first paragraph and tht might be gilding the lily (as it were). It is not a whiny letter and strikes the proper knightly attitude toward a sneak attack on your person. If you managed to compose it before the coffee finished, I am truly impressed (after just merely impressed). Even if he only thinks it is a story, it will drive him insane trying to figure out what Sir Ewen is up to. This is the kind of thing I like, an idea borne by one and then improved after kicking it around.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:06 am

Although as GM I am loathe to step in on tactics, I must say I rather liked the double entendre of 'intercourse.' What else could incense Sir Rollard?
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:16 am

I could start another poll... Should Sir Ewen use the word "intercourse" with Sir Rollard. I just really wanted to discuss it and all agree what it might do to him. It might make it so that he could not show it to Thilisa or her father.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:37 am

On the other hand, it might make him even more likely to show them, expecting them to be equally incensed?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:49 am

Imarë wrote:I could start another poll... Should Sir Ewen use the word "intercourse" with Sir Rollard..

I think that would be gilding the poll lily. :wink:

And getting closer on Thilisa, I might add! :D
Matt
The GM

Postby Matt » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:52 am

Sir Ewen wrote:On the other hand, it might make him even more likely to show them, expecting them to be equally incensed?

Certainly the flowery language and courtly style would tend to the less incensing interpretation. Of course, Sir Rollard would have to play up any perceived forwardness or lese majeste.
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:41 pm

Matt wrote: ...Of course, Sir Rollard would have to play up any perceived forwardness or lese majeste.

...and in so doing risk appearing somewhat silly. Or, at least, that's how I hoped to position him with the letter. If my fellow players feel the letter as written is an affront to Thilisa's dignity, then I have miscalculated and the letter must be tweaked accordingly. Perhaps we should await our resident attorney's take on the epistle. :wink:

To state the obvious, of course, the letter tells Sir Rollard very little, such as what became of the assailant, how much of a description we have, etc. Placing the ball in his court, and perhaps making the stance of Minarsas Castle to date (letting Sir Ewen cool his heels at the inn, rebuffing his invitation to visit) a tad less comfortable for its denizens.

Any other thoughts on the potential effects of the letter, or other angles we should try for with a letter?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:02 pm

No, the letter is fine. The work mentioned was in an different context and the meaning is correct. I did not count on your really trying to get Sir Rollard's goat. He should be in a great mood once he gets this (he he).
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:27 pm

Well don't get me wrong, the primary reason for the letter is not to get Sir Rollard's goat. But I don't think that incensing Sir Rollard, as Matt termed it, necessarily works against the main function of the letter. 8)

As somebody pointed out above, "doing nothing" only helps those working against us, if only because it makes us a static target. And Teddy's idea of complaining has merit because it might get us face time with somebody (Sir Rollard? Thilisa? The Earl?), where Sir Ewen can attempt to Truth Read, and information might be learned and conveyed, and we become more than just bystanders. And I guess, pace Dave's concern about queering the deal, Sir Ewen is just more inclined to, when in doubt, stir the pot. It's partly what led him to kill a fellow named Sir Felkar Uldseth a long time ago. Remember that other people are at their best when a situation is going along as they planned, meeting their expectations. Stir the pot, change the equation, and they are confronted by the unexpected. That's when an advantage might be forthcoming.

Anyway, just musing aloud here. Anybody want to speculate what might happen once the letter arrives?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

PreviousNext

Return to I Dare Do all that May Become ...