No votes
One of the Other Suitors
20%
Damn, Sir Ewen should take the "How to Win Friends" Class
40%

Total votes : 5

So, who has decided to kill Sir Ewen...

Postby Imarë » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:45 am

My first thought is an exclusionary list (who does not want to kill Sir Ewen) as it would probably be shorter. But I jest...

Is the location of the attack (the Earl of Vemion's seat) a factor?

I don't think that this is a professional hit man, Ewen is known to them and has the protection of his ancestry (or they would at least send somebody skilled enough to do the job effectively).

So, who might the leading contenders be?

Earl of Vemion: His daughter might be leaning toward Sir Ewen and this is a candidate he does not want.

Dowager Countess of Osel: Not a likely probability, she just has to say "no" and he is out of there. She did, however, make the housing arrangements. Could the new Earl have somehow informed her of the part that Sir Ewen played in making her a widow and losing her an Earldom?

The Earl of Neph: He hates Sir Ewen due to the issue with the sword. We know from Kaelyn's forays into the gluttons lair that he is not averse to the topic. He probably favors a union between one of his sons and the heir to the Earldom of Vemion. This would feed into his regal ambitions.

The Earl of Neph's seventh son: I am sure he would like to become somebody in his own right. He is not likely to get land or a title out of his father and marrying the heir of the Earl of Vemion would put him in position to gain title and land. I am sure that he feels he has an inside track with her father but might be trying to eliminate strong competitors. It will be interesting to see if any other suitor has a night time "accident". With due deference to Teddy's profession, this attack sounds more of the lawyer than knight.

I am sure I can come up with reasons that the King, Archbishop, the Earl of Osel, or the Earl of Balim might wish Sir Ewen eliminated but I see most of these people having a better class of killer (probably Cekeya knows the good ones personally)

There is Thilisa's guard who hates Sir Ewen. I don't think that this would improve his chances in that department and he has never operated in an underhanded way.

I don't think that this has followed him from Tharda, his foes there were dealt with in a much more permanent manner or co-opted to his side.

Since this is not a session, I can indulge in banter not allowed at the session. Could it be the six fingered man?

Anybody wish to add someone to the list? Anyone that should be eliminated from the list?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:15 am

Firstly, thanks for providing an option I could vote on.

Secondly, don't you want to take a stand? :wink:
Matt
The GM

Postby Sir Baris » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:41 pm

I think the Earl of Vemion should be removed from the list. If he does not want Ewen to marry his daughter, he has much better options to achieve that goal- forbidding her from doing so, or not sanctioning the union. Maybe he can't get her to choose who he wants, but he can certainly prevent her from choosing who he *doesn't* want, right Matt?

If we're going to find out who sent the assassin, I think asking "who wants to kill Sir Ewen" is not going to get us very far. As Dave mentioned, there are simply too many people on that list. :twisted: We need to look at other factors to narrow down the list.

I think the location is a factor. There are many people who would like to see our fearless leader in a box who have had ample opportunity to arrange such an attempt in the past. Why now, in Minarsas? Perhaps the attempt is being made here because this is the first time our foe has had had the opportunity.

I don't think we've met Uldiel before, and is it a coincidence that just the day after he arrives, an attempt is made on Ewen's life? Remember that scowl.

Along this same line of thought, an unknown relative upset about Ewen's several slayings during the tournament also may have had his/her first opportunity to kill Ewen at Minarsas. Death is a possibility in jousting, it seems ungentlemanly to hold a grudge against Sir Ewen for such an accident. But the fact that he is an upstart foreign knight may have caused someone to go over the edge. I think this is an unlikely possibility, and if an unknown relative wants to kill Sir Ewen, given our track record we are not going to find them.

I also think, contrary to Dave's belief, that this was a professional hit-man, or at least not an unskilled one. The assassin managed to get into Ewen's room cat burglar style, and was just a few feet away from him when Ewen happened to wake up. If Ewen hadn't had his Deryni abilities, he probably would have been killed, awake or no- he was unarmed and unarmored (not even clothing) against a killer with a knife, and had just waken up to boot.

Finally, there is a possibility that has not been mentioned. What if Sir Ewen wasn't the target at all? Baron Kalorn expected to be in the suite. What if the assassin (or whoever hired him) did as well?
Vemion delenda est.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:35 pm

Sir Baris wrote:Maybe he can't get her to choose who he wants, but he can certainly prevent her from choosing who he *doesn't* want, right Matt?

Theoretically. In reality, Thilisa may be able to act on her own. There isn't enough data to answer the question, in her case, definitively.

Sir Baris wrote:if an unknown relative wants to kill Sir Ewen, given our track record we are not going to find them.

:roll:
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:42 pm

On the last point, the Baron has made it abundantly (and publicly) clear that he did not get the quarters he desired. I am sure even a part time assassin would know that it was not the Baron in the suite.

I also did not state that it was not a professional who went after Sir Ewen, just not a professional assassin. Remember, we know the head of that particular order in Tashal (the closest place it could have been arranged for in I think). The one in charge seems to be a devotee of Sir Ewen's father, Lord Morgan for short. I believe that Rahel (though maybe not a member herself), has very good connections there (she arranged for Cekeya through them) and would have either warned Sir Ewen of the contract or squashed it herself. While not a marriage prospect for her, there is a certain fondness (shall we say) between them and she seems to have her own ambitions which probably run through Sir Ewen's drive for the gold. From what I understand, a real professional would not have stopped even though he had been hit by mental powers (which if it had been through the guild they would have known about and sent someone capable of dealing with it).

I don't think the Earl of Vemion thinks he can really tell his daughter what she can or cannot do. She had years to tuck away funds and only has to wait for his death (he cannot cut her out of the Earldom, she now being the eldest and no other males thanks to Sir Ewen). I believe you are right that it does not seem to be his way, a stab in the dark, having many other ways to go about it. He would probably prefer one of the others it is true but an accident could be arranged after the succession of the Earldom is assured and he would not have to deal with Sir Ewen anymore.

My leading candidate is really the Neph family (son or father). I really think the son wants this for his own ambitions and the non-knightly attack seems better suited to the lawyer than one of the knights (it just would not be manly to them to have others do it in the middle of the night). Remember what we have found out about the father, he used intermediaries who do not follow the code of chivalry (the attack on the house, sneak attack on Sir Baris etc.). He also has a tendency to use people with proficiency but laking some of the fined skills needed for their jobs.

If I had not gone for the cheap laugh, my poll choice would have been the son. I can see him doing something like this since the odds have him in the lead for Thalisa's hand. I also don't think it would hurt to have Sir Ewen not piss off everybody he meets (four out of 5 Earls and the King and probably the last Earl also since Sir Ewen does not seem to be one of his fathers favorites).

The new Earl of Osel does not really seem viable at this point either since there is nothing more that Sir Ewen can really do to him. He has the title he wanted, Sir Ewen has no proof of his treason and would have to expose himself in order to make the accusation in any event. Do we really want Sir Ewen to exposse himself anymore?? Maybe we could find the good knight a leather nightshirt somewhere...
"Hello Sir Baris. Come and play with us. Come and play with us, Sir Baris. Forever... and ever... and ever."
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Sir Baris » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:34 pm

I'm leaning toward's Neph's son, as well. If Ewen were dead, Thalissa would not be able to choose him, raising Toren's prospects higher.

[edited to make it clear that Ewen is still alive... for now 8) ]
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:34 pm

My money, as well, is on the Curos, pater et filius.

As both Teddy and Dave point out, an assassination by moonlight is similar in gravity and severity to other attempts on our group positively traced to the Earl of Neph in the past. Arson, slaughter of retainers, kidnapping and torture. We know of no other enemy in Kaldor who has taken animosity toward Sir Ewen to that level, I believe, and it is hard to see what recent offense by Sir Ewen would garner such similar attention from a non-Curo enemy. Not that this reasoning is dispositive, but the present attack is consistent with Curo's previous behavior, and inconsistent to date with the behavior of the other worthies mentioned up top (even, one reluctantly notes, the Earl of Osel).

As indicated above, I see Earl Curo and son Toren as a unit here. I doubt Toren is simply emulating his dear old Dad here; my guess is that my would-be assassin is one of the Earl's blokes. To that extent, I suppose I agree with Dave, who seems to be coyly arguing that the hatchetman is not Lia Kavair, without naming the guild. (Are such references verboten in this thread?) Anyway, I lean toward Teddy's take on things: the guy sure seemed skilled enough. Yeah, Ewen hit him with an odd weapon, which made the guy flee, but his acrobatics with the rope and subsequent escape seemed worthy of Cekiya's hijinks. Was there a level of ineptitude involved that I perhaps missed?

Teddy's remark about the Baron of Uldien, whose surname is confusingly Ubael, recalled to my mind the exchanged sneer between father and son. The Ubael cousins seemed to be friendly enough, but we have no present explanation for the nasty look from the main trunk of the tree. Ewen's perusal of Rahel's library included reading the fact that Uldien is brother-in-law to Sir Prehil's father, so I doubt the sneer was directed at Prehil. Uldien's leige, though, is the Earl of Balim, who likely thinks Sir Ewen is already too big for his own breeches. Could the Spider Earl have decided that Sir Ewen should, under no account, be allowed to marry the Lady Thilisa, thus making his social ascent stratospheric?

I don't think we should rule this out, although I still favor the Curos.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:49 pm

Sir Baris wrote:[edited to make it clear that Ewen is still alive... for now 8) ]

For one so recently in articulo mortis, a person should perhaps avoid gallows humor :twisted:
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:27 pm

It is not the Lia Kavair I refer to above. I think an assassin is a specific subset under a different (though connected) group. Cekiya if feared by the thieves guild but not of it. That is the area I am padding around because I don't know how much or any we would know about it. The one who could answer has not yet joined into the conversation (Matt, I don't have her email address so you might want to let her know). The unknown assassin seemed proficient in breaking and entering but not in the arts of killing per se. Our associate (known affectionately as "the little adder") is proficient in killing but her thieving skills are less developed (the lock picking in the late dungeon crawl for instance). Remember, the head of the Tashal thieves guild is afraid of Cekiya and she does not clear anything she does with him. Her boss is different.
"Hello Sir Baris. Come and play with us. Come and play with us, Sir Baris. Forever... and ever... and ever."
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Sir Baris » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:44 pm

Dave's point about the fact that Kolorn had made his complaints about not being in the room very vocal is well taken. That fact had crossed my mind, but I thought perhaps the assassin was from out of town, had arrived after dark, and didn't know about the "change". It's at least something to keep in the back of our minds, and perhaps investigate if we turn up nothing on other avenues.

So, putting Kolorn aside, we can narrow down the list to two probable groups of candidates: the Earl of Neph and son, or Balim and/or Uldien.

Assuming the assassin was definitely sent by one of these people, what do we do about it? Do we investigate, and if so, what should be our first step? If we find the assassin and he spills his guts, or we find other proof, what do we do- do we retaliate, go to the Earl?

Matt, I have a protocol question- in a situation like this, where a gentleman has been most dishonorably attacked in the Earl's own town (during his daughter's wedding, no less), what do we do? Do we go to him and request official assistance or justice? File a police report? :)
Vemion delenda est.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:03 pm

Note that we have no evidence to substantiate our claim of having been attacked, aside from a piece of rope. Not sure troubling the Earl at such a time without more evidence would be welcome.

It would help to sort out where the various parties are staying. Might the newly arrived Baron and his son be staying at the castle?

I wonder whether Arnys might have noticed anyone fitting the description of our intruder?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:05 pm

One other quick thought: during the session, I suggested that obvious foul play would be a turn-off to Thilisa. Somebody else, it appears, has made a different calculation, no?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Sir Baris » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:19 pm

Sir Ewen wrote:One other quick thought: during the session, I suggested that obvious foul play would be a turn-off to Thilisa. Somebody else, it appears, has made a different calculation, no?

Our foe may have assumed that the motive for your murder could be explained by reason's other than competition over her hand. As we've mentioned ad nauseam in this thread, you have many enemies.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:30 pm

Sir Baris wrote:Matt, I have a protocol question- in a situation like this, where a gentleman has been most dishonorably attacked in the Earl's own town (during his daughter's wedding, no less), what do we do? Do we go to him and request official assistance or justice? File a police report? :)

It's a good question. A host is responsible for the safety of his guests. In this case, since the party was invited by Thilisa, she's the host. You could lodge a complaint with her ... :wink:
Matt
The GM

Postby Matt » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:32 pm

Sir Ewen wrote:It would help to sort out where the various parties are staying. Might the newly arrived Baron and his son be staying at the castle?

That is where you saw them going.

Sir Ewen wrote:I wonder whether Arnys might have noticed anyone fitting the description of our intruder?

You could ask him the moment he surfaces. :D
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:38 am

"If we find the assassin and he spills his guts"

Interesting choice of words... especially if Cekiya gets hold of him
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:51 pm

Sir Baris wrote:Our foe may have assumed that the motive for your murder could be explained by reason's other than competition over her hand. As we've mentioned ad nauseam in this thread, you have many enemies.

This is true, and what is worse, the same logic does not apply to the others. If we retaliate or try to undercut the competition, I presume the immediate assumption will be that they were almost certainly killed or undermined by a competitor for Thilisa's attentions. And Sir Ewen being a foreign-born parvenue hedge knight, I imagine he will be the first suspect on everyone's mind.

In fact, if one of these bozos was really clever, they would assassinate one of their competitors and frame Sir Ewen for the deed, thus knocking off two birds with one stone.

So back to Teddy's question: What do we do next? It would go against our grain not to look into the matter, if only in hopes of gathering sufficient intelligence to ward off the next attempt. But even if we have a confessing miscreant, do we better our position by unveiling the crime in the midst of the happy festivites?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:31 am

Sir Ewen wrote:In fact, if one of these bozos was really clever, they would assassinate one of their competitors and frame Sir Ewen for the deed, thus knocking off two birds with one stone.

Brilliant! If only I'd thought of it ...
Matt
The GM

Postby Sir Baris » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:48 am

Sir Ewen wrote:So back to Teddy's question: What do we do next? It would go against our grain not to look into the matter, if only in hopes of gathering sufficient intelligence to ward off the next attempt. But even if we have a confessing miscreant, do we better our position by unveiling the crime in the midst of the happy festivites?

Perhaps we could investigate first, and decide what to do with the information once we have it (assuming we are successful).

So what should be our first step in investigating? We can't go to the Earl, or Thilissa. We have no contacts with the Lea'Kavair here (not that they ever do us any good in Tashal :x ).

Who could we talk to to try and track down the assassin? Literally tracking them down is going to be difficult if not impossible, considering the number of tracks in a town.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Imarë » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:07 pm

I get the feeling that the "contractor" is not a local. If it is the Earl of Neph (father or son), they would probably have their own retainers to do such tasks. Thieves also do not tend toward murder, it kind of raises their profile too much. If cornered I am sure they will attack (theft is, after all, a hanging offense) but going beyond strong arm would be rare in my mind.

As to Sir Ewen's point about blame. Why do we assume that any funny business will come back to Sir Ewen? While the object of his attention does know who sired him, he has never shown any sign of being anything but above board and talented. He does not flaunt the connection and even does his best to keep away from it. I am also beginning to question our assumption that Thallisa would not approve if she suspected. From fairly close observation of the ruling class of Kaldor, I think that being underhanded comes with the territory. Intrigue seems to be one of the core classes at Kaldor High. While I don't think it is a good idea to tempt people too much with questionable acts, if there is not proof nobody is going to accuse (isn't questioning someone's honor and integrity cause for being called out to fight? With Sir Ewen's reputation would you want to do this?)

I have several thoughts about the attack itself. First, if it were someone socially superior to Sir Ewen, I don't think that they would hesitate to try to get rid of the interloping knight. I think the son of an Earl would be more equal than other pigs (not to mention his father). Second, if someone were desperate to eliminate a competitor. Why? Could one of the other suitors feel that Sir Ewen has a better chance and wants to secure a better position? It could also be that this is the first place that Sir Ewen has stayed for more than one night that is not either his home (with guards), or one of his manors (with guards). Our stops on the way here were for one night only, anyone following would have to find out room, conditions, sleeping arrangements etc. all in one evening, leaving little time to actually come in and try to fillet the knight.

It occurs to me that the Earl of Vemion would not want to dirty his own nest in this instance. While Sir Ewen is not of the highest rankings socially, he is prominent (First Knight and all). Plus, he is a direct vassal of the King (the three manors are held directly from the King now). I would think that killing someone such as this in your own town would not be the best thing. Plus, thinking about his belief on his daughters marriage, it has been pointed out that Sir Ewen has four manors that are exceedingly profitable, if Thallisa were to marry him and then he suffers an accident of some type (especially if there were a child then involved), the manors would pass to her control with the child.

If it were the Earl of Neph himself, it could only be because of the sword. If he has caught up with Sir Baris' girlfriend and knows she does not have it would be the only reason to really go after Sir Ewen. If this were true, murder without questioning would not be the main goal.

It should also be pointed out that someone else now knows of Sir Ewen's mental powers. Whether or not this person can identify the source or what really happened is another question.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:40 pm

A step we have mentioned is asking Arnys whether he recognizes the description of the intruder. That, in fact, seems the main line of questioning we can pursue at this point, as we know nothing else of the assailant aside from his vague description. I suppose we can try to make inquiries at the other inn, if we can get somebody inside, or set someone (Arnys or player character) to lurking at key spots to catch a glimpse of the suspect, assuming he's not completely holed-up somewhere in the daytime: the entrance to the other inn, the external precincts of the castle walls, the two commons when there is public activity there, the market square. Or we can put up a wanted poster with a description of the would-be assassin, or hand out fliers advertising our interest in talking to an individual of said description who is in the habit of assailing sleeping hedge knights. Any other ideas?

I post my thoughts on the other recent observations shortly - have to run for the nonce. :)
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Lord Ewen » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:26 pm

Teddy's concerns about our ability to find somebody are apt, I think. Sometimes the Melderyn Campaign is the Finding People campaign, and I think we all agree that we are generally dreadful at it. And we have less than one session to find this guy, if our expectation of the wedding being over before the close of next session is met.

So perhaps we need to start responding differently in these situations, since we are so bad at finding people. I mean, the GM doesn't make us chase them, does he?

So here's a cunning plan which doesn't necessarily rely on detective work, but instead on some play-acting. What if Sir Ewen, first thing in the morning, seeks out the Laranian Serolan at the temple to seek his pastoral guidance in the matter? Lay it all out for him: the dastardly underhanded attack, my righteous affront at the attempt, my pius and true-hearted impulse to identify and call out the instigator of the base assault, my countervailing, keen awareness of the unwelcome awkwardness of such publicity for the Earl of Vemion in the circumstances, my suspicion that my devotion to the Lady Thilisa has led to this cowardly attack by a rival, my determination above all to not jeopardize in my response to the attack the perfect happiness of the occasion of the wedding of the Lady Camissa, but my resolution to cleave as best as I can to the precepts of the Lady of Dolithor. You know, something like that. And then we see what we can learn from the Serolan's response, and see if we can manipulate the situation through the Serolan, in terms of jockeying for position visa vis Thilisa in an indirect but hard-to-impeach fashion.

Any thoughts on this kernel of an idea?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:54 pm

Interesting concept for us, telling the truth. I don't believe it has been tried before...

I don't believe that staking out anything would amount to much. We have such a vague description that it could be any of hundreds of men in the locale or retainers of the various personages assembled. The one clue is he might be holding his head from the headache you gave him (but I am sure Sir Baris does the same the morning after he has tied one on).

Does the penitent / preacher confidentiality hold with the Laranian faith? I do think that the reaction received from such a meeting would give an idea of what the story would do locally. I would suggest working out an alternate story of how the thug was driven off ("I blasted him with mental power" would not go over well to my way of thinking). I also don't see a down side to this course of action, a knight (even of the hedge variety) would take exception to being accosted while in bed (even alone). I do sense some underlying anger about being referred to as a hedge knight. It might be my imagination but Sir Ewen does not seem to like this moniker. I wonder if Imare could ask her horse if it likes some variant of this for a name...

On a different subject, does Sir Ewen think Imare should compete in the archery contest?

While I don't think a similar attack will be tried for quite some time, what precautions should we make to assure ourselves that our meal ticket, er, Sir Ewen is not gutted like a fish. Imare does not sleep anyway and could keep an eye on the exterior of the building while I think that he will find it hard to keep Cekiya from sleeping at the foot of his bed. Would Sir Ewen be able to cast a ward around his bed or at least over the window?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:30 pm

I could use Wards for the window, door, or an area of the room defined by four corners, such as around the bed. The window would be exceeding hard to use with the wards major matrix cubes.

I don't see why Imarë shouldn't enter the archery contest; it would be fun.

Dave's thought about Thilisa maybe not being put off by skullduggery from Sir Ewen triggers a new line of thinking on my part. We have been assuming Thilisa's interest in Sir Ewen is misguided, and that she thinks he is an option which doesn't involve her being tied down as second fiddle to a powerful or influential husband, so she would get to keep her autonomy. But what if that is no longer her idea, and instead she is waiting to see what kind of intrigue he will accomplish at the wedding, and has some glimmer of what Ewen truly is: a remarkably ambitious man who has come out of nowhere and is outmaneuvering some of the very peers of the kingdom. I mean, she knows his bloodline, and she can't have missed his rapid ascent. Her three tasks were designed to test Sir Ewen against three increasingly powerful figures. What if inaction, or playing it safe, at the wedding will hurt Sir Ewen's chances with her?

I know Dave has said a few times that Thilisa's mind is already made up. Maybe, I don't know. She undoubtedly had a plan, or a hope, which led her to invite Sir Ewen to the wedding, when her father had arranged four of his own choices for her. Does Thilisa have a plan, and Sir Ewen needs to trust her and not mess things up? Or did she invite Sir Ewen hoping that he would seize the reins and do something?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:59 pm

Sir Ewen wrote:And we have less than one session to find this guy, if our expectation of the wedding being over before the close of next session is met.

Without commenting on any other aspect of this fascinating discussion, let me just say that I doubt very much the wedding will be next session.
Matt
The GM

Next

Return to I Dare Do all that May Become ...