Relative of Fatal Bout at Tournament
No votes
One of the Other Suitors
20%
Damn, Sir Ewen should take the "How to Win Friends" Class
40%

Total votes : 5

Postby Matt » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:51 pm

Sir Ewen wrote:It's partly what led him to kill a fellow named Sir Felkar Uldseth a long time ago. Remember that other people are at their best when a situation is going along as they planned, meeting their expectations. Stir the pot, change the equation, and they are confronted by the unexpected. That's when an advantage might be forthcoming.

Killing Sir Felkar IMO shifted the direction of this campaign more in one unexpected stroke than anything any PC has done since 1983.

L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace. 8)
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:12 am

Thanks! 8)

So, I think we are agreed that a meeting with Thilisa, Sir Rollard, the Earl, or somebody in Minarsas Castle would be good. Should we perhaps bullet-point some priorities or goals for such a meeting? What do we want to convey to these folks? Any ideas?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:02 pm

- Ewen would really like to be Mr. Thilisa

On a different note (to give the GM some lead time), I think Imare will participate in the archery contest if she would not be out of place. Maybe Sir Baris could stand at the target with an apple on his head...
"Hello Sir Baris. Come and play with us. Come and play with us, Sir Baris. Forever... and ever... and ever."
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:12 pm

Imarë wrote:- Ewen would really like to be Mr. Thalisa

T-H-I-L-I-S-A!!!!!!! FOR GOD'S SAKE, IT'S T-H-I-L-I-S-A! Please, I've had to edit it in every frickin' post!

Imarë wrote:On a different note (to give the GM some lead time), I think Imare will participate in the archery contest if she would not be out of place. .

No prep necessary. It's almost as if the GM planned it just for Imarë ...
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:47 am

Somebody's getting testy... I think decaf would be in order. I will just use T. from now on so please note this.
"Hello Sir Baris. Come and play with us. Come and play with us, Sir Baris. Forever... and ever... and ever."
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:05 pm

Imarë wrote:- Ewen would really like to be Mr. Thilisa

Is that where we're at? Just wing it?

At least Dave is consistent, I guess. He has said all along that Thilisa's mind is made up, that we just need to avoid queering the deal. Sir Ewen should do as he likes, and Imarë will cavort on the graves of his enemies a century later if things go south. I guess that's a good approximation of elven detachment, as far as it goes, but it doesn't leave us much to talk about here... :(
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:33 pm

Imarë wrote:Somebody's getting testy... I think decaf would be in order. I will just use T. from now on so please note this.

No, we're on page 4. I would have thought the corrections would have been noticed by now. And I will still have to correct it. Can you just spell the name please? It really isn't that hard. It's like it was with Trilime ... :roll:
Matt
The GM

Postby Matt » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:35 pm

Sir Ewen wrote:At least Dave is consistent, I guess. He has said all along that Thilisa's mind is made up, that we just need to avoid queering the deal. Sir Ewen should do as he likes, and Imarë will cavort on the graves of his enemies a century later if things go south. I guess that's a good approximation of elven detachment, as far as it goes, but it doesn't leave us much to talk about here... :(

Alas, no. Let me just say for the record I have yet to meet the woman who makes up her mind immutably. Thilisa is no exception. :wink:
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:55 pm

Matt wrote:Alas, no. Let me just say for the record I have yet to meet the woman who makes up her mind immutably. Thilisa is no exception. :wink:

Just so. And, by gum, we men-folk PCs in this campaign know just how to handle fickle-minded women. Do it all the time in real life, just comes natural. So I'll just wing it, thank you very much, show her who's boss, and that's -

- wait, is this thing on? :shock:
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Cekiya » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:10 pm

Sir Ewen speaks out of turn, he is a bad example, and will have no cakes today.
"My mummy used to sing me to sleep at night. Run and catch, the lamb is caught in the blackberry patch ... She had the sweetest voice.
What will your mummy sing when they find your body?"
Cekiya
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Lord Ewen » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:37 am

Nuts, I thought this was an all-male thread! Who was watching the door?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Lord Ewen » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:31 pm

“… I am the son of a king, and you correctly understand that I have the bloodline to be an earl. But what is it that you really want?”
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:42 pm

Sir Ewen wrote:“… I am the son of a king, and you correctly understand that I have the bloodline to be an earl. But what is it that you really want?”

Huh? Sorry, missing the context.

And where is Dave? Don't tell me I scared him off? :shock:
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:38 am

He might have taken umbrage at your remonstrations, although it must be said that, for someone whose name requires two diacritical marks... :wink:

Anyway, the quotation does indeed lack context, although I had hoped that obscurantism might revive the flagging discussion. :roll: The speaker is, of course, Sir Maldan Harabor, seated with Sir Ewen in his cousin's study in Tashal. The future earl is stating his sense of sanguinary entitlement to an earldom in spite of his bastardy, with the obvious point of interest being the parallel to Sir Ewen's status. The implied question for discussion being, under what circumstances or to what degree might Sir Ewen press such logic if presented with an opportunity to state his case in the sweepstakes for Thilisa's hand? Pace Dave, I think there is a whole continuum of possible stances that could be taken should Sir Ewen, of a sudden, be thrust next session into an interview with the Earl, or the Lady, from passive and pliant on the one hand, to aggressively self-promoting on the other. As the possibility exists that our letter might bring about such an interview, I am frankly asking for help in thinking these things through prior to Saturday.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:55 am

Right - it did sound familiar, though I couldn't recall you having said the earl part. And, of course, the obvious parallel of which Maldan was unaware, heightened the tension of the meeting.

I agree that it would be wise to think more through on the lines of 'what if Thilisa has not made her choice?' It might also be wise to think through another possibility, that she has made a choice at odds with her father. If the letter produces results, it will result in either a meeting with the lady, her father, or both of them at once.
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:57 am

Precisely.

I'll have time to mull it over this afternoon, as we are off to Winston-Salem to see Turandot. Perhaps I'll find inspiration, although we must hope that there will be no riddle games in Minarsas... :lol:
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:28 am

No, I have not been run off. Just have not had anything to say new. When I left school, I decided that spelling was not my strong suit and not to worry about it. I still don't and can't see myself being highly concerned. Sorry Matt but it's not my thing.

I will think about the recent posts on my drive to Amherst NH, I need to relax from 12 straight hours with a 7 year old who likes to do things.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:40 pm

Just think, you'll be stuck with us on Saturday. We like to do things too. :wink:
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:27 pm

Ooh, Turandot! Now that's easy listening. :wink:
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:57 pm

OK, for those of you who have just been dying for something like this, here is a Ewen & Thilisa timeline I have put together to help me review things. Just events where Ewen and Thilisa were together in any way. The parentheticals are session numbers, for those avid to check the context. :wink:

Nolus 27, 731 - Reception at Caldeth House. Thilisa only interacts with Imarë, and her father is rather rude to Bevan. (39)

Larane 17, 731 - Ewen wins the tournament, and Thilisa flirts with him, apparently directly after spurning the king. Rahel indicates that Thilisa loathes her father almost as much as she does the king, due to the injury Declaen inflicted upon her mother during an argument some time ago. (40)

Larane 30, 731 - Ewen visits Thilisa with a bottle of brandy; They talk lightly for a bit, she seems to find Ewen's manner charming, She asks him to deal with Viktam Arwat, who spread a scurrilous rumor about her in Olokand. (45)

Agrazhar 15, 731 - Ewen visits Thilisa, she chides him for having stayed away of late, and observes that her father tried to investigate Ewen's ancestry at the Heraldic College to no avail. Ewen invites her to dinner at Galopea's Feast that evening, she takes umbrage at the short notice and warns that she had better enjoy herself. Later, at Galopea's Feast, with Balim in attendance as well, Ewen produces Arwat and forces him to recant. Thilisa seems proud and vindicated, and states to Balim, “This knight, this puissant knight, has defended my honor, at great risk to himself... I would ask that ...this knight be granted the honor and position that he has earned.” (48 )

Agrazhar 18, 731 - Ewen buys a topaz brooch and delivers it to Thilisa, who teases him for trying to conceal the name of the jeweller. She says she enjoyed the evening at Galopea's Feast, is glad to be rid of Arwat, and extolls the virtues of Neph's rose bushes. She seems to like the brooch, stroking it twice during the conversation. She would like to see a rose of Neph up close to judge it herself. She notes that Neph and his wife fight like cats and dogs, then wonders if Ewen would be "the most solicitous of spouses. Ever interested in what pleased your spouse, never one to impose your will." She adds that her late husband spent too much time "chasing all over creation", with too much focus on men, and Ewen reassures her about his interest in women She then refers to their previous conversation about genealogy, and Ewen discloses the identify of his father. Thilisa responds poorly: she goes pale, calls Ewen mad, and demands that he prove his claim "in a charlatan, mountebank way". Ewen takes her hand and speaks within her mind. She seems convinces, yanks her hand away, and dismisses him, telling him to bring her a rose. (49)

Agrazhar 20, 731 - Ewen delivers the rose to Thilisa late at night, she has already been to bed. She exclaims and marvels at the rose, asks how he managed it so quickly. Ewen modestly says Neph is not so hard to manage, but Thilisa is impressed he acquired one of his prize roses so quickly. She says, "I would almost think it was... You produced it very quickly..." She says she finds herself melting, then says she hears Ewen is a composer. She asks him to compose a ballad in her honor, proposes to make it a social event, and indicates the king's upcoming levee. Anticipating, she says, "it would be as if the taint..." and trails off. Before Ewen leaves, she indicates that she spoke with Sir Rohn and he is looking into the genealogical matter. The meeting ends thus: "'I trust next time we meet it shall be … glorious.' But the smile has faded entirely from her grave face..." (50)

That is the last time Ewen and Thilisa spoke.

Agrazhar 25, 731 - Ewen plays his song before the king and queen. The king is offended, the queen pleased, and Thilisa appears pleased as well. Ewen and Thilisa don't interact, however. (52)

Note that it has been a full seven months since Ewen and Thilisa have spoken. Much has happened, including Ewen inexplicably obtaining three of her former manors from Osel. The last conversation with Sir Rohn about the genealogy business (fifty-eight) suggests that Graver gave Sir Rohn confusing information, the herald quipping that Sir Ewen has at least five fathers and two mothers. It is unclear whether Sir Rohn would have cleared things up since then...
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:55 pm

Has it really been more than twenty sessions since Ewen and Thilisa spoke? Astounding.

I note it's also some six months or so in game time.
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:00 am

Yes, and if you discount the first and last entries, where they did not speak to each other, the whirlwind courtship comprised exactly thirty-three days. :shock:

I'll hope to post some thoughts later today...
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:55 am

It makes sense when you think about it. You left for Chybisa shortly after the levee, and by the time you returned to Tashal, Thilisa had left for Minarsas.

Of course, she did reserve the big dog suite for you, whatever that actually means ... :lol:
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:09 pm

Yes, and I think it does have a meaning. Here is my guess.

Giving Sir Ewen the superior suite over Kolorn indicates that Thilisa has reconciled herself to Sir Ewen's claim that he is Arren I's son. Or, at least, that he outranks Kolorn in terms of bloodline. I mean, it is all about rank in this sort of situation, right? And Kolorn was absolutely correct to react with umbrage, given what he knows. Yes, we can spin alternate hypotheses about what Thilisa might be up to here, but there is a bottom line in such things. Whatever her motive, giving a simple knight precedence over a Baron, no matter how much she likes the knight, would be a gross insult. The fact that Sir Ewen's status as son of a king is unknown to the Kaldoric nobility at large makes the whole situation awkward, and a peer-relations problem for the Caldeth family given the snub to Bastune. But think about it from the other direction: knowing Sir Ewen's claim, and presumably having gotten some awfully suspicious mixed signals from the Enclave of the Holy Oak and the Palace of Gules regarding Ewen's genealogy (the confusion itself perhaps screams royal bastard), Thilisa would be affronting Sir Ewen if she gave Kolorn precedence.

Taking this logic one step further, I think the reasoning suggests that the Earl knows about the Arren I thing as well, which I have been wondering about. Otherwise, would he have allowed his daughter to snub a baron by giving the baron the lesser suite at the Green Dragon Inn in favor of a knight whom Caldeth doesn't even approve?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:52 pm

The line of thought regarding the Earl's knowledge of Ewen's paternity is intriguing. There are some significant implications if he knows, and yet still disapproves. Yet, as you correctly point out, he allows for the perceived rank to be recognized.

One thing to keep in mind here is that the 'honor' being rendered (if indeed it is) may be more to Melderyn than to Tharda.
Matt
The GM

PreviousNext

Return to I Dare Do all that May Become ...