Face Time

Plans, operations, and intentions

Moderator: Imarë

Postby Imarë » Sun May 02, 2010 5:21 pm

Especially with the sub-par iPhone you plan on foisting on your wife :lol: (sorry, had to do it).

The message from Matt tells me there is a difference between planting an idea and a feeling? He could plant the thought but not the emotion to actually calm down?
"Hello Sir Baris. Come and play with us. Come and play with us, Sir Baris. Forever... and ever... and ever."
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Sun May 02, 2010 6:42 pm

Hey now, this here is a top of the line iPhone, at least for a couple more months. Even if I have kinda run the battery into the ground. Ah well, caveat emptor and all that. :wink:

As for the suggestion, I guess my ability does not extend to instant psychotherapy skills. I can suggest he sit down, or shut up, but not dictate how he feels. More adept practitioners might, however. Recall that the men under Dickon Parketh have been "tampered with" to help them deal with the long and tedious foreign service. :twisted:

But I imagine even experienced Deryni would find doing that kind of thing on the fly in the midst of a heated conversation quite challenging.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Sir Baris » Fri May 07, 2010 7:23 am

Just FYI, I'm reading through the posts- I haven't gotten to the end yet, but Dave warned me about your plan, so don't make any hasty decisions about blaming things on Baris yet. :oops: There's still a few weeks left until the game, yes? 8)
Vemion delenda est.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Imarë » Fri May 07, 2010 8:55 am

"Bravely bold Sir Baris rode forth from Tashal. He was not afraid to die, oh brave Sir Baris. He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways, brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Baris. He was not in the least bit scared to be mashed into a pulp, or to have his eyes gouged out, and his elbows broken. To have his kneecaps split, and his body burned away, and his limbs all hacked and mangled, brave Sir Baris. His head smashed in and heart cut out, and his liver removed, and his bowels unplugged, and his nostrils raped and his bottom burned off and his penis... "

I know I am tempting wrath, but I just could not help it in this case.
"Hello Sir Baris. Come and play with us. Come and play with us, Sir Baris. Forever... and ever... and ever."
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Fri May 07, 2010 10:18 am

You know I can delete and edit posts at my whim right? I mean, I've said this before, and not so very long ago. :evil:

And yes Teddy, there's still some time left ...
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Fri May 07, 2010 11:52 am

Sorry but when I read Teddy's post this just popped into my head. I have been very good lately about this kind of stuff so I figured one would do little harm :roll:
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri May 07, 2010 3:55 pm

Thanks for tuning in, Teddy. The gratuitous threat was a shameless ploy to get you to read the posts. :wink: Any thoughts, or just hunches, regarding the posted theories would be awesome, though. Also, any idea about the stance we should take with Caldeth would be great, since I think the session will begin abruptly with our riposte to Caldeth's question.

Come to think of it, "Where's my daughter, you sunuvabitch?" is slightly akin to "When did you stop beating your wife?", no? I mean, even "Gee, I dunno" sounds either flippant or disingenuous. That's why I was leaning toward an acerbic comeback. If you guys think we should dial it back, then perhaps a stiff, forebearing "I don't know. Which daughter is missing, my lord?" through slightly gritted teeth would be more patiently banal than "Which daughter have you misplaced?"

As for Dave, an occasional prohibited reference might yield a posted GM wrist-slapping, but I would think an entire paragraph of pastische risks the forum equivalent of the bastinado. :twisted:
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Sir Baris » Wed May 12, 2010 8:38 pm

I vote for an an aggressive stance. "Which daughter have you misplaced?" is a little too flippant for the situation, though- the man's daughter is missing, so it's not super polite, and also, he's an Earl.

"I don't know. Which daughter is missing, my lord?" is much better, I think, although as it stands it implies that you do know where one of them is. 8) Thus you should start with something that more immediately denies your knowledge of *either* daughter's whereabouts. Perhaps you could say something like, "I have no idea where either of your daughters is, although of course Sir Baris and I will do anything to help you in your time of need. Which daughter is missing?"

On the point of using mental powers, I think that's good so long as failure doesn't lead to the Earl knowing Ewen was trying to screw with his mind. (Is there anyone in the room who could detect that, if the Earl can't- is that possible?) If you do use your mental powers, I suggest the subtle persuasion suggestions that were mentioned before. On a related note, I've playing a mind-controlling vampire in a weekly World of Darkness game, and I find subtle mind altering effects to be more effective. It's less likely I'll suggest something too direct and get myself into trouble (as I have many times :-D)
Vemion delenda est.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Thu May 13, 2010 10:22 am

Sir Baris wrote:(Is there anyone in the room who could detect that, if the Earl can't- is that possible?)

There are others in the room, but they will have to await identification for the session. In the 'shock' of he moment, neither Sir B nor Sir E has taken in the full tableau.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Thu May 13, 2010 12:02 pm

Though you should remember that this ability seems woefully lacking in Kaldoric nobility. There were only two people in the kingdom who Sir Ewen has found to be deryni (I believe the only ones who could spot it), the lady from Melderyn and the innkeeper from his manor (an illegitimate unknown cousin). I would probably rate the chances as low for someone to detect any even attempted mind use here in the boonies (as I believe this area is). There inability (or dislike) to distinguish actual magic use seems prevalent (no blanket statements, just odds).
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Thu May 13, 2010 7:27 pm

My understanding is that an adept Deryni in the room might detect me engaging in certain activities. Recall Rahel glanced in my direction when I extended senses at a dinner party. It seems a long shot that one of the guards is a Deryni spy, though. I don't have sufficient experience to say how critical failures are handled when using Rapport to suggest. Sir Eadril might have been the first occasion, when I induced a headache with my failure. That might have been influenced by my suggestion ("spend the wedding getting beastly drunk"), as a cracking headache might be antithetical to carousing. I imagine failing at a bold suggestion, or one alien to the natural inclinations of the target, could be quite adverse or spectacular, but I guess I will only find out by trying.

Having said that, I agree that subtler suggestions risk less severe backfires.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Lord Ewen » Thu May 13, 2010 8:07 pm

BTW, I had not considered that the "full tableau" might include more than just Caldeth and the arresting guards. As we have already pointed out, the first ten seconds of the session will make perhaps 90% of this thread moot (and that's probably crediting ourselves with approximately 10% too much :wink:)

If Sir Rollard is there, then he evidently has not dashed off with Thilisa for the coast. If one of the daughters is there, then logic may cause certain questions to be somewhat superfluous. If one of the suitors is present, Sir Rollard might have spoken true and a choice has been made. If we have been framed, an Iago-like whisperer into the Earl's ear might be present.

We could probably go on for a while in this vein.

Bottom line question, though. If parley avails naught, and it's down into the dungeon we go, do we go quietly, or attempt a desperate escape? The latter would involve, I suppose, a mental blast and lunge for the target's weapon as the likely first round. Or do we resign ourselves to the rack, and hope that the ladies can effect our release?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Fri May 14, 2010 10:31 am

I'd only really worry if there is a guy with a black hood and an axe standing there.

As Sir Ewen is a direct vassal of the King and the First Knight of Kaldor, I think it is unlikely that he will do something to you outright. Not to mean that it might not be very unpleasant but I think unlikely to kill. He wants his daughter back (whichever one) and is also not likely to strike before he knows what (if anything) has happened to her. I would say aggressive yet deferential to him would be the way to go. An "explain yourself" hint might not be a bad idea here.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri May 14, 2010 4:18 pm

OK, right, I don't expect he'll kill us outright. And yeah, the degree of unpleasantness will likely relate to whether he thinks the clock is ticking on his daughter's life and whether he believes he can get crucial info out of Ewen and Baris to save her. I guess I'm just not being clear enough.

To Teddy, I'm asking: if verbal debate fails, is Baris willing to go down into another cell and be at the mercy of his latest captor, or would he prefer to attempt an escape? Which one?

To Dave (since the other ladies are MIA): if verbal debate fails, should Ewen and Baris go quietly to their appointed cell because Imarë, Kaelyn and Cekiya have the situation under control, they will rescue the missing daughter and get our asses out of prison without a single bit of assistance from Ewen and Baris? As in, like, you got it, right? Because if you don't got it, I kind of need to know that now. Is that clear enough? :?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Fri May 14, 2010 8:11 pm

Ok,ok. Imare will not head for the trees until she sees Sir Ewens head on a stake in the village green and will do all she can up until that point to get him out of trouble. For one, she is loyal to her friends. Second, she does not want Rahel pissed off at her. I am sure the other ladies will also do their best though I cannot speak for them.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Sat May 15, 2010 6:47 am

OK, I'll take that as a vote against any escape attempt.

FWIW, preliminary data suggests you won't need to rescue us at all. I draw this conclusion from Matt's comments to the effect that the scene with Caldeth will inaugurate the session. After all, he is not going to let you three players eavesdrop on the interrogation and then have you roleplay a rescue attempt while straining to "forget" what you just overheard. The GM would instead draw the curtain on the castle scene and run me and Teddy seperately.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Sat May 15, 2010 8:15 am

He could always banish us to the roof (at least the doorway for me).

On the escape attempt, that would tend to make you look guilty from the start. Add this to the fact that you seem to be on the second or third floor of one of the larger castles, complete with guards and knights and no weapons but Sir Ewen's mind (formidable as that can be), I would not bet on those odds.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Sat May 15, 2010 9:02 am

I think the fact that we have been arrested means we already look guilty from the start.

I would't bet on those odds either, but it might make for a more entertaining prospect than passively suffering through another session where we spend most of our time rolling against Endurance while some over-zealous fellow turns the winch another quarter turn. :roll:

Given the state of our strategizing here, I hold out little hope we'll be chatting our way out of this one.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Sat May 15, 2010 10:58 am

For the most part, the Cheshire Cat has remained impassive and not given many hints away, just sat there with a big grin on his face.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Imarë » Tue May 18, 2010 6:41 pm

I have been thinking about what the legal rights and obligations are vis-a-vis Sir Ewen and the Earl. Can Sir Ewen be legally treated in a cavalier way? Would the Earl be in some kind of trouble with the King for doing so to one of his vassals? A knight in general? If the Earl accused Sir Ewen outright of something against a daughter (kidnap, mayham etc), would Sir Ewen have recourse? Is trial by combat a possibility?

Sir Ewen, would it be appropriate, after the way you were summoned to the castle, to send a messenger back to Tashal or to report to other authorities?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue May 18, 2010 6:49 pm

I am sure the GM would clarify these excellent questions best, but I am assuming an Earl's perogative within his domain is extremely broad and near-absolute, especially if he has some pretext for his actions. If Sir Ewen were to protest, presumably to the king or archbishop, I assume that the outcome would mostly depend upon the relationship between each of those worthies and the Earl.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Wed May 19, 2010 12:39 pm

What Van said. It might be stretching things for Vemion to have Sirs E & B executed, but if they actually kidnapped his daughter ...

Trial by combat is only an option if the Earl agrees to it.
Matt
The GM

Postby Matt » Wed May 19, 2010 3:27 pm

I might also point out that it's unlikely the Earl will execute Sirs B & E before he recovers the misplaced daughter. :wink:
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Wed May 19, 2010 4:34 pm

As I have negected to directly answer Dave's last question, let me specify that Imarë and Kaelyn would understand that Sir Ewen would be highly opposed to any mayday being sent off to authorities anywhere based on his arrest. We have no reason to think the King or the Archbishop would be anything other than vastly relieved if they were to learn that the Earl of Vemion had discovered a pretext for chopping off Sir Ewen's uppermost extremity. If we had reason to believe either of those gentlemen had an itch to pick a fight with Vemion, then perhaps the idea would merit consideration, but we don't. So there is no sense adding insult to injury by whining to Sir Ewen's various liege-folk, as I suspect they would simply laugh and think Sir Ewen a coward for not dealing himself with whatever mess he's gotten himself into.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Lord Ewen » Wed May 19, 2010 8:22 pm

I promised on page one of this thread to return at some point to the topic of baronial war. Have we perhaps been unduly preoccupied with our immediate plight, and insufficiently attentive to the main chance here? After all, we are anticipating some excitement up in Neph's neck of the woods soon. Any thoughts on how such considerations should bear on Saturday's tactics will be considered... 8)
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

PreviousNext

Return to I Dare Do all that May Become ...