Newlywed Game Calling Sir Ewen

Plans, operations, and intentions

Moderator: Imarë

Newlywed Game Calling Sir Ewen

Postby Imarë » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:07 am

Well he has done it. Landed the most eligible bachelorette in Kaldor. So what is the next move? When and how will the Earl be informed of this treachery? What countermoves on his part (if any)? Living arrangements must now be done for the people who will now come into the town house. If Sir Baris follows through on getting involved with the new inn, I believe there are rooms. Certainly any discussions will have to take place away from these new inhabitants as our goals are kind of against the present order. I am sure there are a huge number of other issues that people wish to bring up also. Let's see if everybody can come up with at least one question for discussion.
"Hello Sir Baris. Come and play with us. Come and play with us, Sir Baris. Forever... and ever... and ever."
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:29 pm

Oooh, maybe I missed some discussion after I signed off. Is Thilisa to live in Raven Hall? Is Sir Baris retiring to run an inn? This conjures to the mind something along the lines of Fawlty Towers, with John Cleese playing Sir Baris. What fun! :shock:
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:40 pm

It was discussed that Thilisa's current city residence would probably no longer be available and that when she came into the city it would be natural for her to live in her husband's house. This would also include her followers, which would make Raven Hall rather crowded. Sir Baris has indicated in the past he would like to invest to invest in real estate, specifically the Elf and Dwarf Inn, hiring a member of the guild to run it. As the accommodations will be tight at the house, the higher ranked would get the rooms (Sir Rollard et al). A subsidiary location to operate from with all of Sir Ewen's varied interests would probably be a good idea (sorry dear, could you leave your bedroom so that we can plot against the government" would probably not go over well). I have already indicated that Imare would be willing to give up her room as she does not sleep anyway. with the additions, Kaelyn would also be looked at for her room (Lady in Waiting ?). The added furor of persons would probably not help her concentration any either. Sir Ewen has just moved up quite a bit in the social hierarchy and while he (and we) feel more his peers, he must conform to the social patterns of Kaldor, where we are his retinue. I don't think a parcel of us would be welcome to take up residence with Rahel, leaving us with finding a different residence for part of the group.
"Hello Sir Baris. Come and play with us. Come and play with us, Sir Baris. Forever... and ever... and ever."
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Re: Newlywed Game Calling Sir Ewen

Postby Matt » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:09 pm

Imarë wrote:When and how will the Earl be informed of this treachery? What countermoves on his part (if any)?

Thilisa will no doubt decide when and how to tell her father. As to the second half ... :twisted:
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:41 pm

Interesting tidbit from Session 40, which detailed the tournament:

"Lady Tora of Sordel, a Laranian priestess, is disqualified in the third joust of the day after striking her opponent’s steed, a rare enough event..."

Wonder if she got drummed out of the order for that faux pas? Any way, Sir Baris, she must be half decent in the saddle as well. :wink:
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:04 pm

Kind of poor armor for even a prior Lady. That combined with a courtesan as a relative seems a bit off. Stranger things have happened however so I will not dismiss it. Did our Tora ever give an "of" name?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:38 pm

Recall Tora told Cekiya she was a former member of the Lady of Paladins. Gotta be the same person. We were all avid observers at the tournament, and there were few females involved. Perhaps the GM might adjudicate whether any of us recollect her, if not here on the forum then at the outset of next session.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:28 pm

BTW, I was combing through session 40 in hopes of illuminating the interesting mystery regarding Sir Lyndar Bastune's paternity, in light of Lady Bastune's remark, to the effect that her son lost the tournament his father was killed in. So here is a complete list, I think, of the tournament deaths, though not in order.

Sir Charl Haurnal - killed by Lady Afaewynn
Sir Jak Kisl
Sir Cyzor Rathval
Sir Arlin Alsar - great-grandson of King Torastra, nephew of Lady Cheselyne. Interesting, but too young to be Lyndar's dad?
Sir Prendon Tallarm
Lord Urien Caldeth - killed by Ewen
Sir Koris Harabor
Sir Lanas Wyant
Sir Denyl Arwat - killed by Ewen
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:10 pm

Sir Ewen wrote:Interesting tidbit from Session 40, which detailed the tournament:

"Lady Tora of Sordel, a Laranian priestess, is disqualified in the third joust of the day after striking her opponent’s steed, a rare enough event..."

Wonder if she got drummed out of the order for that faux pas? Any way, Sir Baris, she must be half decent in the saddle as well. :wink:

Not the same person - a coincidence. Might be a relative, however.

This current Tora is a commoner, and her rank in the OLP was equivalent to a sergeant.

Apologies for the confusion.
Matt
The GM

Postby Matt » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:15 pm

BTW, to clarify the use of "of" in names, it usually denotes non-gentle birth. However, there are occasional exceptions where the individual is gentle. Ewen is one, though he could drop the of at any time.
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:10 pm

Thanks for clarifying Tora. Still, never know when relatives might come in handy. And we don't know why she's no longer with the LoPs, which might be interesting to find out.

As for "of". Ewen's already infamous names issue has just gotten more complicated. Not to mention poor Sir Rohn's job, once the cat is out of the bag. :twisted:
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:10 pm

How so? Do you plan to take the name Caldeth? :D

Under formal circumstances, Thilisa's previous style would be: Her Ladyship, Thilisa Meleken, Dowager Countess of Osel.

Her new style (once announced) will be: Lady Thilisa of Ravinargh. Bit of a comedown. :wink:

Her arms will also change. They will end up being Sir Ewen's arms impaled with the Vemion arms. Typically, husband is on the left, but since the Vemion arms are comital, they will be on the left, and Ewen's the right.
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:49 pm

No, I think taking the name Caldeth at this point would be rubbing salt in the wound once Thilisa breaks the news to her father. But the present timing might be propitious for at least dropping the "of", so Thilisa at least does not have to suffer that added indignity. A small thing, alas. Does one simply begin to style oneself without the "of", or is a more formal modification in order?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:34 pm

I can just see the meeting with Sir Rohn. I think he would be happier with Sir Ewen dropping some of his fathers. I think your herald would be the place one would go for an answer. Perhaps he can handle the paperwork himself.

Dropping the "of" seems a good idea. I would really love to see some faces if you added "Parkhurst" instead. Maybe an anagram?

Have you given the lovely bride her Laranian statue yet? The rest of us are going to have to go shopping for wedding gifts now. Did she register anywhere?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:07 am

Sir Ewen wrote:Does one simply begin to style oneself without the "of", or is a more formal modification in order?

No, it's simply a matter of style. Ewen will just begin to refer to himself as "Sir Ewen Ravinargh."

Thilisa's style would now be "Lady Thilisa Ravinargh." Informally, she would still be either Lady Thilisa or Lady Ravinargh.

Her arms will change, of course, and traditionally what happens there is her personal arms would be impaled with Sir Ewen's arms. This would replace the Meleken arms in her achievement.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:20 pm

Maybe Sir Baris could give the happy couple a stuffed vlasta? I know how fond of them he is.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Imarë » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:58 pm

We really should discuss our immediate actions. I cannot think that the Earl, once he finds out about his daughters wedding, will be in a good mood. I don't believe he would do something to his daughter or her now husband. I don't know if that would apply to Sir Ewen's retinue. Since attendance will only be taken for principals (the knights), I might suggest that the underlings "get out of dodge". I would suggest, further, they not go far but be in the area with the means of a quick escape for Sirs Ewen, Baris, and the new Mrs. Ravinargh. Her priest will also need to be spirited away from the environs of the castle. I don't think he would hang the priest since it was not a forced marriage but one never knows. What are Sie Ewen's thoughts (since the possibility of a reply from any other principal is remote)?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:42 am

Why would you think Ewen's companions would be in some danger from the Earl?
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:46 pm

In the event the Earl just lashes out. Also, the more people the slower bugging out may be.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:43 pm

Wouldn't the scruples which might prompt the Earl to not "do something to his daughter or her now (sic) husband", also militate against his kicking Sir Ewen's dog, razing Sir Ewen's crops, or unduly discommoding Sir Ewen's slender elven friend?

My inclination is to reverse your implied probabilites: If anyone has earned a thrashing, it's Sir Ewen.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:28 pm

As my question may have telegraphed, I tend to think Van has the right of the argument. Only a churl retaliates against a man's dog. Caldeth is no churl. :wink:
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:57 am

I will accept the reasoning. However, in the words of a Harry Potter book, "if we die, I'm going to kill you".
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:56 am

Tut. How about, If we are mark'd to die, we are enough to do our party loss? Courage, my friend...
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:06 pm

It goes without saying I'll take Shakespeare over Rowling any day ... :lol:
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:16 pm

Well, had Shakespeare written anything in the same vein that I could have used I would have used it. I am just still worried that we are once more going into the breach (without a paddle). Imare just stll remembers the brutality of the response to the play and has no wish to be in a similar situation herself.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Next

Return to I Dare Do all that May Become ...