Other Business

Plans, operations, and intentions

Moderator: Imarë

Other Business

Postby Imarë » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:14 pm

Since the prior topic has raised such a clamor, I thought I would add some other stuff to it. I was wondering if anybody had long term goals now that the wedding of the year has occurred. I know Sir Ewen has it in his mind to subvert the current government of Kaldor but does he have any specific goals? What are the intentions of Sir Baris? Is he to remain Sir Ewen's right hand or does he have concrete goals of his own? What does Kaelen want out of life with the party? Imare is hoping to be able to have some woods to tend of her own, help them grow and flourish. She would not mind adding to her baubles collection either. There are many of her skills that she wants to develop also, her spell usage and jeweler are among them (along with hunting). She would probably be happy in the short run with being Sir Ewen's huntress. She does have (barring accident) all the time in the world to do whatever she wishes. Practice on musical instrument would also suit her, as would sitting under a tree for a couple of decades working on poetry. Any suggestions for her improvement? Please feel free to comment on what your ideas for others might be as well as for yourself, maybe there is a line that has not been considered before. This should be considered a fun topic and not one of group management. Personally I think Sir Baris should consider a life on the stage but he would need to work on it somewhat.
"Hello Sir Baris. Come and play with us. Come and play with us, Sir Baris. Forever... and ever... and ever."
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Re: Other Business

Postby Sir Baris » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:53 pm

I'm going to ramble a bit.

For Sir Baris, there is the subject of the "boon" from the Earl. We discussed how the fact that once the Earl learns about the recent wedding, he is going to be really ticked and not inclined to do nice things for us, thus any such boon we request should be a task that can be completed quickly (ie before the wedding), or an item.

Sir Baris's long term goals still include getting some land to call his own. Matt said that asking for land outright is a little bit above a boon. We discussed about the Earl arranging an auspicious marriage for Sir Baris (perhaps he can marry a woman with land :) ) However, this seems to be the type of long term task that will not be completed because the Earl will soon be disinclined to look upon us favorably. Are there reasons to think this boon would not disappear once the Earl finds out about Ewen and his elder daughter? Alternatively, is there a way to make a long term task like this public, so that the Earl would be somehow socially obligated to carry through, even though privately he is disinclined to do so?

Does anyone have other suggestions for a boon? Money seems rather gauche, and Sir Baris has money (although does he have enough to invest in the Dwarf & Elf?). Matt, can you give some examples of the types of favors/gifts I could ask for?

Speaking of that August establishment, Matt, what is the process for investing in the Dwarf & Elf? What should be my first steps? That's probably not something I can start next session (we are still at the wedding, which is more than a week hence), but I want to start making more concrete plans."
Vemion delenda est.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Re: Other Business

Postby Matt » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:31 pm

Sir Baris wrote:I'm going to ramble a bit.

I didn't think so.

Sir Baris wrote:For Sir Baris, there is the subject of the "boon" from the Earl.

I think this is where this conversation should go - the rest is premature.

Sir Baris wrote:Alternatively, is there a way to make a long term task like this public, so that the Earl would be somehow socially obligated to carry through, even though privately he is disinclined to do so?

This is possible, but he would do so only to the extent of the social obligation. Probably less than you'd want overall. Of course, if Sir Baris distanced himself from Sir Ewen then it would be different. Not that that's going to happen ... :twisted:

Sir Baris wrote:Does anyone have other suggestions for a boon? Money seems rather gauche, and Sir Baris has money (although does he have enough to invest in the Dwarf & Elf?). Matt, can you give some examples of the types of favors/gifts I could ask for?

Money is gauche, but realistically, you'll need something that can be handed over quickly and is movable. A horse, arms and armor, a letter of introduction to someone, etc.

Sir Baris wrote:Speaking of that August establishment, Matt, what is the process for investing in the Dwarf & Elf? What should be my first steps? That's probably not something I can start next session (we are still at the wedding, which is more than a week hence), but I want to start making more concrete plans."

Your need to retain the services of a master innkeeper. This person would be 'bonded' to you and would purchase the franchise for you. Legally, you can own the franchise (though this is discouraged) but not run it since you aren't a member of the innkeepers guild. It would be common for the bonded master to have some stake in the franchise, perhaps 20-25% so that he has some 'skin in the game' as the phrase goes. Since Worton Harabor, of your acquaintance, is the guildmaster for the innkeepers, your first step would be to approach him upon your return to Tashal.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:47 pm

Just because I am on vacation down here does not mean it is an excuse not to post. I am checking regularly for any new ideas or rehashing of the old ones. As there is no television down here, I am even more anxious to engage in stimulating diversion as I have already visited Barnes and Noble twice. Reception here is not as good as I had hoped, I evidently only get 2G in the house but a neighbor's wireless is not locked. When elsewhere, I get full 3G with all strength bars. I look forward to some communication.
"Hello Sir Baris. Come and play with us. Come and play with us, Sir Baris. Forever... and ever... and ever."
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:28 am

In general, things have been quiet. Is it perhaps because people don't feel there's much to discuss in the wake of the last session?
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:11 am

Not to be rude (I think this will be some), there is usually a lack of conversation. I wonder if there will be comments to counter this but I doubt it.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:59 pm

Just a couple of thoughts for the nonce.

One, I had generally assumed Sir Ewen will defer the proffered boon from the Earl, but there is no need for Sir Baris to do the same. For Ewen to accept a boon from the Earl, having just married the man's daughter against his explicit wishes and right in the shadow of his castle walls, would in retrospect seem crass and highly unseemly once the happy news is broached. At least, that's my take on it.

Two, we have no idea what will happen once the Earl is notified of the marriage, but we may not be lingering in Minarsis long afterwards, and Thilisa may be travelling with us when we depart. While we conservatively might just return to Tashal and take things from there, why not pay some visits along the way? Specifically, a detour to Gardiren to call upon the Earl of Neph would be very interesting, no? :twisted:
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Return to I Dare Do all that May Become ...