From FKK to First Lapdog...

Plans, operations, and intentions

Moderator: Imarë

From FKK to First Lapdog...

Postby Imarë » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:25 am

Well, Sir Ewen has received his marching orders. I don't expect he will follow too closely (except for the heir part). There is Lady C's party, which will announce ten marriage. I am sure Thilisa would know how to announce to the right people she is off the market. How does our knight in chief plan to fill the rest of his days? I still smile to myself thinking of her reaction if she were to meet her new father-in-law, she thinks her daddy can be testy.

Are there any other thoughts from any quarter what to do?
"Hello Sir Baris. Come and play with us. Come and play with us, Sir Baris. Forever... and ever... and ever."
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:48 pm

I believe First Stud would be closer to the lady's stated requirements, but be that as it may, the arrangement does provide Sir Ewen with a vastly greater degree of latitude for participating in independent activities. If Sir Ewen was to settle down to domestic tranquility (now that would be a lapdog role), for example, I might be in a position of having to roll up a new character. And what might that yield me? A female PC of some sort, no doubt, leaving Teddy the last man in the group interested in playing a man. :lol:

A number of questions and ideas come to mind, so let me air them briefly. Please note I have not thought out any of these...

Thilisa's privacy, as well as her related conviction that her life is in no danger. Not sure I buy that, nor am I comfortable with us not knowing where she is by day. She must be kept alive for obvious reasons, at least until I sire an heir on her. Thilisa's calculation that she is safe does not take into account things she is ignorant of. Like our relationship with Neph and his man Drageld, for instance. Too much temptation for Neph to snatch Thilisa and exchange her for the sword. My current thinking is that we need, firstly, to spy on her and learn where she is staying. Good job for Cekiya, perhaps. Secondly, should we detail some of Dickon Parketh's men to guard her safety at that point? I know Sir Rollard will be trying to ensure her well-being, but his track record is spotty of late, and again he doesn't know some of the threats.

We have lost Arnys, and thus have need of a spy. Any ideas for developing an information network beyond the urchins?

I think Stimos had good points about cultivating Osel and Balim. From the latter, at the very least we would appreciate his blunting the king's wrath if the sovereign waxes homicidal about the marriage, but any other priorities? And with Osel, he is rather isolated and unliked among his peers. How should we position ourselves with him?

What should be the fate of Lyndar Bastune?

I don't recall this being mentioned in the session, but did the tent and Potelc get back in?

Should Sir Ewen update Lord Graver at some point regarding his present circumstances?

And a Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:56 pm

Sir Ewen wrote:And what might that yield me? A female PC of some sort, no doubt, leaving Teddy the last man in the group interested in playing a man. :lol:

Now that's funny! And tempting - Sir Baris and his traveling harem ...

Sir Ewen wrote:And with Osel, he is rather isolated and unliked among his peers. How should we position ourselves with him?

I should point out that you have reached a detente of sorts with Harabor. Converting him to an ally shouldn't be that hard, though he'll no doubt want something significant for his 'friendship.' Don't forget he has a son too.

Sir Ewen wrote:I don't recall this being mentioned in the session, but did the tent and Potelc get back in?

Not within the time frame. But then, you wouldn't expect them for another three days or so, weather depending.

Sir Ewen wrote:And a Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Same to you!
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:14 am

I would update your putative boss about this major development to be sure. I don't think the fate of the kidnapper was discussed other than to say we should not exact vengeance in the city. Perhaps a challenge to a duel, he did try to frame yup for kidnapping and killed your retainer. Other than this, I am at a loss what to do, which is why I have not been posting.

The lapdog comment, in case it was not clear, is what you new bride wishes you to be. In the immortal words of Bugs Bunny, "she don't know you very well".
"Hello Sir Baris. Come and play with us. Come and play with us, Sir Baris. Forever... and ever... and ever."
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Sir Baris » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:26 pm

I don't have much to comment on the above, except that protecting Thilisa sounds good. I don't know that spying on her is a good idea, though, because what if she catches the spies? Although, question for Matt- Given that Thilisa comes from such heights politically, how strange would it be to her that her husband is spying on her?

On a completely different topic. So now that Sir Baris has begun his business empire, what are his next steps? I imagine it will be a year or more game time before I start seeing returns, but what should I do in the meantime?

Matt, what types of duties/problems might come up? How much do I need to attend to my business affairs on a day to day, week to week basis? What types of things should Baris be doing to keep an eye on his investments?
Vemion delenda est.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:28 pm

Sir Baris wrote:Although, question for Matt- Given that Thilisa comes from such heights politically, how strange would it be to her that her husband is spying on her?

I'm not sure I should answer this. I wouldn't want to speak for Thilisa. ;)

Sir Baris wrote:what types of duties/problems might come up? How much do I need to attend to my business affairs on a day to day, week to week basis? What types of things should Baris be doing to keep an eye on his investments?

One of the beautiful things about being a member of the ruling class is that other people do the work for you. (Except fighting, which, of course, is the whole point of you.) You will likely want a man of business - a mercantyler - and you would then keep tabs only on that person. To the extent that you receive monies expected and on time, life is good. If you don't, well, you do have sharp toys.

The only other question you might want to answer is if you are going to keep lodgings in your inn.
Matt
The GM

Postby Sir Baris » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:08 pm

Matt wrote:The only other question you might want to answer is if you are going to keep lodgings in your inn.

Well, things are getting a little cramped at HQ. And it would set the signal of a newer, more independent Sir Baris.
Vemion delenda est.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Imarë » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:38 am

There might even be a niche for Sir Baris to set up his really expensive armor.

Will plans of Sir B's new domain be forthcoming in the future?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:20 pm

The ground floor is in the Session 52 notes. I don't recall if I put the rest in or not, but they exist.
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:57 pm

It is heartening to see Sir Baris bankrolling the rehabilitation of one of the inns we have, in point of fact, been directly responsible for putting out of business. Freeing up space at Raven Hall is welcome as well, but I should stipulate that my blessings are contingent upon the fact that Tora of Sordel will be close by to see to the safety of our erstwhile entrepreneur. If she can keep him from drinking up all of the profits of the venture so much the better, lest the sauce get the better of Sir Baris:

I would die where I would dine
In a tavern to recline
Then would clerics pray the glibber
And the gods have mercy on this bibber

As for spying on my spouse. While reprehensible, it seems to me the only prudent course at this point. If Neph saw Sir Ewen as a threat before, how much so now? If Thilisa dies, Sir Ewen's claim to a Kaldoric earldom dies with her. By extension, Thilisa's safety and her bearing an heir sired by Sir Ewen ties a Kaldoric earldom to the the royal house of Tharda, no? Not an inconsiderable issue, albeit not one openly acknowledged at this time. It seems to me incumbent upon Sir Ewen to insure the safety of his latest coup, and grossly irresponsible for him not to do so. It seems to me that we, as a group, should debate whether we have the requisite resources to protect Thilisa, given that we are aware of some threats (namely Neph) whose magnitude Thilisa herself is unlikely to accurately estimate. Dickon Parketh, extending this into the NPC realm, should be consulted regarding Thilisa's safety in Tashal, with specal attention paid to whether Sir Ewen presently has sufficient manpower and resources to ensure her security while she enjoys her freedom of the city, so to speak. And should Sir Ewen brief Lord Graver and analyze the situation with him regarding manpower in light of the earldom at stake? It seems not to be a minor thing, and while Sir Ewen has no wish at this point to be perceived as scampering off to the Palace of the Red Domes with petitions for even more manpower, at the same time it would be a damnable tragedy if due consultation were not made and security proved inadequate, now that matters have reached the level they have.

If Thilisa becomes angry with Sir Ewen's interference, upon her inevitably detecting it, then we as a group should have already decided how much to tell her in explanation. But to let her go about her way while we take little in the way of daily precaution seems madness to me. And I am not convinced that she wouldn't be angry were she to learn that Sir Ewen had been indolent in the matter of her safety.

On the other hand, I suppose we should not neglect other possible ways of increasing Thilisa's safety. If we could only think of a way of indirectly fending Neph off. Via Balim, perhaps...?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:21 pm

I might point out here that the group does not necessarily have to do this ourselves. Only one could possibly have the requisite skill, Sir Ewen's little adder. We have the cooperation of the thieves guild which could possibly be tapped. There are also her fraternal brothers which maybe could help (they seem very friendly toward Sir Ewens father). In my mind overt force might even be counter productive in keeping watch. What are some thoughts on these ideas?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:35 pm

I think you are correct to break this down into at least two parts, Dave. First, we need to discover where Thilisa is staying, and what her daily movements are like. Then, we need to assess how we might improve her security, and whether we presently have the resources for doing this. I see the first task as time-limited and ideal for Cekiya - why farm it out when it's an ideal mini-adventure for the little adder? But I agree that Cekiya should not be detailed to any kind of regular keeping-of-tabs on Thilisa.

As for using Parketh's men to enhance Thilisa's security, I suspect his men are already adept with operating within the city, and the challenge of competently yet discreetly enhancing whatever security is already provided by Sir Rollard seems within their hypothetical purview, to be sure. Whether they can remain undetected for long is dubious, however, although I hate to underestimate them. Sir Ewen would be content to have Dickon Parketh's professional opinion on the matter. Having said that, we are faced with the question as to whether we just cut to the chase and let Sir Rollard know that Sir Ewen will be insisting upon providing additional security to his wife for his own reasons, and thereby allow Sir Rollard to coordinate overtly with Parketh. Any thoughts on this?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:47 pm

Without passing on the merits of the ideas, I'll point out that you do not presently know Sir Rollard's whereabouts.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:10 pm

I thought Sir Rollard had resurfaced. Has he dropped from sight again?

As to the actual protection, depending on where it is, a base of operation could be established. A rotating guard could follow loosely behind when she travels. Much depends on her activities. If it is only to a particular place and not floating it would be much easier. I don't believe any professional assassin would go after this particular family without a death wish so it would be others. It might be good to let the underbelly organizations know that Thilisa is now under your umbrella.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:21 am

Perhaps Sir Ewen should just cut to the chase and read Thilisa prior to arising from their bed in the morning. Anyone care to start a list of questions?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Return to I Dare Do all that May Become ...