Directions

Plans, operations, and intentions

Moderator: Imarë

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:40 pm

Thilisa's kidnapper is named Sir Lyndar; "Lydel" is the surname of Sir Ewen's eldest half-brother, and is an entirely distinct can of worms. Note that this does not qualify as a spelling error, to my mind :lol:

I think spreading a scurrility and then going out of town is rank cowardice, so I rule that out entirely. Let's try to let the concept of honor do its work; that's what it is there for. I think the plan we discussed in session is a good one.

I think most in Kaldor have no concept that, by Thardan standards, they are soft and complacent. Dave's description of a Tolkienesque ramp-up to war seems more suitable to preparations for war with another kingdom, say Mordor. Viking-style raids on the northern shires are, in my opinion, more likely to be miscontrued as a glorious opportunity for Kaldoric chivalry to dash up north and vanquish some barbarians. I do expect Kaldor to underestimate the scale of the problem at first, and for the King to call upon his nobles to quickly raise the troops and march north, Sir Ewen included. As I believe I have mentioned in a previous thread, the best scenario in my mind would be for word of the invasion to hit Olokand around tournament time, with the flower of Kaldoric chivalry dashing gloriously into the maw of the Harbaal marauders, but I suppose that would be too late in the season to work, alas. At any rate, my guess is that initial incursions will be assumed to be displaced vikings from the war in Orbaal, and that Haldan III will not realize until after the initial wave that he needs "a bigger boat".

Sir Ewen could put his manorial troops on the road with a couple of days warning, I would guess. I can't send the Tashal company without risk of blowing their cover; I doubt the King would tolerate Ewen having that many troops in the city if he found out. We could start migrating some of them to Varayne, I suppose, but should start that process soon if that's what we should do. Our assets (especially Thilisa) need to be covered while we march north, and best to utilize the company that the King is unaware of, and appear like we are "all in" when the call comes.

My inclination, given the geography, is to delay the gargun adventure in favor of readiness when the hammer strikes Gardiren's anvil. That wouldn't rule out returning to the vlasta lair, as Teddy suggested, if we need something to do, because a messanger could reach Ewen with the king's summons quickly, and Ewen could clairvoy as in last session to detect the wire when it is metaphorically tripped.

We should discuss what, precisely, the king is likely to expect when he calls Sir Ewen up on his feudal obligation. For instance, does Lady Aefewynn march as well, or is a bailiff expected to remain behind at her post?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:13 pm

In the case of all four manors, Sir Ewen is expected to pay scutage, which he has done, and that covers his feudal obligation.

However, in the event of a national emergency, niceties like that go out the window, and vassals are expected to answer the call. Sir Ewen would be expected to arrive with a minimum of four knights, and seven men-at-arms. (Selepan is too small to send more than one.) These men-at-arms could be any mix of light foot, medium foot, or bowmen. Of course, he could bring more troops, and there would likely be an expectation that he would do so amongst the grandees of his acquaintance.

That having been said, showing up with the whole lot (save Dickon's company) would put Sir E up there with a baron, and that might raise questions and/or eyebrows. I count seven knights, 15 LF, 3 MF, 6 LB, 11 LH plus 23 MF for Rolloch's company. This does not include Thilisa's people (3), Dickon's (23), any squires (2), or a peasant levy (?).

Something like four knights, ten foot, the LB, and 10 LH is in line. Which leaves Rolloch and Dickon, basically, for some of the yeomanry ought to remain behind to protect the manors.

(Thanks for the Lyndar notation - I've been correcting.)
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:09 pm

Thanks for those specifics, that helps greatly.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:15 pm

We do remember that thelan explained was not guaranteed? Even Lord Morgan was unsure whether the enticement would work (Vikings can be so unpredictable). The rest of the party has outlets, we don't have to navigate between two pregnant women. Are you sure you would not like to face the gargun (single handed even)?

After what you reputedly did to your sibling, maybe it was a natural mistake or maybe a Freudian slip. He seems the bully type and may never put himself in a position where you can do something about it knowingly. As long as you are not the one to be seen starting the rumor, your not being there would not seem cowardly. A shorter sojourn would be fine, a hidden retreat with all you have planned might be a smart idea so let's try to finish off the "eaters of eyes". Replace the dining table with a pool table, set up a barrel of ale and voilà, you have your "man cave" (this one nearly literally).
"Hello Sir Baris. Come and play with us. Come and play with us, Sir Baris. Forever... and ever... and ever."
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:51 pm

What?!?

Did half the words of that post get lost?
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:00 pm

Probably not, I was just thinking shorthand. The typo in the beginning was "the plan" and has to do with maybe we are sitting in Tashal waiting for something which will never happen. Lord Morgan did not guarantee his plan would work, he just thought it would. This is my way of questioning sitting on Tashal waiting for the horde, we could be out doing something. Does this help explain my comment or are there other specifics I have left out (I know what I mean, not what you understood of what I meant).
"Hello Sir Baris. Come and play with us. Come and play with us, Sir Baris. Forever... and ever... and ever."
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:29 pm

Calling it a rumor is probably inexact, which I mention not to quibble but to clarify what we are about to do. Sir Baris wondering aloud in a public fashion whether Sir Lyndar will have the stones to take Sir Ewen up on his open invitation places Sir Lyndar's honor in jeopardy if it is done right. It can't sound like rumor-mongering, because then Sir Lyndar could play the upright one and call out the rumor spreaders. We want to keep him on the defensive, and not let him play the aggrieved party, which would be a victory of sorts for him in the honor stakes. We want to give him as little wiggle room as possible, either fighting Sir Ewen or suffering ignominy. Sir Baris will need to be pitch perfect on this. (Like, he probably shouldn't say "stones")

To my mind, Sir Ewen can not leave town during this little drama. To do so would be all wrong. You may be correct about Lyndar not responding. In that case, Sir Ewen may let it be known that he has business out of town to attend to shortly, wait an interval to give the craven Sir Lyndar a final chance to redeem his manhood, and then depart if silence from that quarter prevails. I believe at that point a contemptuous remark from Sir Ewen about his foe would not be considered amiss. :wink:
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:37 pm

That explains some. I had the rumor was to be spread but not that it would be Sir Baris, just that he could. Relying on one of us to get something pitch perfect. You do like to live dangerously don't you? If it is to fall to Sir Baris you had better not leave the city. Is there something mental you could do to place the correct words into his mouth for dissemination? You do know how well we ad-lib right?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:38 pm

My wry verbiage above may have belied my point. I think Sir Baris needs to basically say, "Surely Sir Lyndar will respond to Sir Ewen's challenge! How could he not?" Or, alternatively, "If that was me, I could never let that stand!". Best to keep it simple
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:43 pm

Imarë wrote:Is there something mental you could do to place the correct words into his mouth for dissemination? You do know how well we ad-lib right?

Come, come, the man is an experienced actor. He has been on the stage!
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:58 pm

Sir Ewen wrote:(Like, he probably shouldn't say "stones")

:lol:

Probably not.

Dave - thanks for the clarification. The initial typo did mystify me, and the shorthand had me spiraling into complete incomprehension.

One thing on my part, I don't recall Morgan ever speaking to any of you directly about this invasion. I believe it came from Para? In any event, worry not about the quality of the intelligence - it will never get better and it will rarely be this good. :wink:
Matt
The GM

Postby Matt » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:59 pm

Sir Ewen wrote:He has been on the stage!

Was he stoned on the stage? Well, very nearly ... :roll:
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:48 pm

I do believe he also had a "wardrobe misfunction" of the first magnitude (his "bra" became vertical as I remember...). He had not improved his skill in the subject either. Help would be nice, especially if ale is involved.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Imarë » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:26 pm

Would it be possible to look in on the Laranian knight turned into the undead. Having a living corpse thinking badly about you loose is not a pleasant prospect. Maybe we could do something about him.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Imarë » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:52 pm

Several bagels still hang in the balance here...
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Tora » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:20 pm

Tora has one personal goal for the next session: acquire a badge with Sir Baris' arms, similar to what the other retainers had at the party.

Hey Dave, if I chip in $10, can we get lox again?

-D*
Tora
Man-at-Arms
Man-at-Arms

Postby Imarë » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:06 pm

Lox are supplied gratis. The only reason I did not get last time was by request.

I see a smily face with a sword through it for Sir Baris...
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Previous

Return to I Dare Do all that May Become ...