Directions

Plans, operations, and intentions

Moderator: Imarë

Directions

Postby Imarë » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:00 pm

Now that we have achieved our primary goals before the anticipated visit by the hordes from the north, what are we to do? I can't see us enjoying doing party after party (even with the splat of Lady C's soiree). Sir Ewen has proven that he did not just get deryni powers from his father and it sounds like the new Mrs. Ravinargh does not care for his attendance any longer. The new place of Sir Baris is off the ground with somebody to watch over it (the lawyer would probably be a good proxy too). A nice profitable expedition might be fun. Finishing clearing the mine might be good also. It looks like Sir Ewen could do with a "man cave" as well. Are there goals I am ignoring? Ideas that people have? Hopes/aspirations? Remember, your everything bagels are on the line with no participation. In a month everybody could contribute something in their spare time.
"Hello Sir Baris. Come and play with us. Come and play with us, Sir Baris. Forever... and ever... and ever."
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Re: Directions

Postby Sir Baris » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:17 pm

I still like to idea of going after the orcs. As Dave said, we have accomplished a lot of our goals, and our interests in town will attend to themselves for awhile. My business empire has people to run it, Thilisa will continue growing an heir, etc. Kaelyn could study more, but wouldn't it also be fun to put spells to practical effect? Say, against orcs? :-D Ewen can direct us in the killing of orcs. Cekiya could backstab orcs, and/or protect Ewen from orcs. Imare can shoot orcs, just not in my general direction. Tora can keep me from getting killed by orcs, or random arrows. And Baris can kill orcs! See, everyone wins.

I also like the idea of returning to the mine, if only to get vengeance on those darn lizard things. Next time I will bring my own shield... and maybe my plate. :-D
Vemion delenda est.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Imarë » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:31 pm

While I am not sure that going after gargun would not be fun, the numbers are a bit offsetting. You don't meet a dozen, you get hundreds. Certain individuals/parties can go after them (I.e. Lord Morgan has) but few survivors are around to tell the tale. If we can extrapolate, the mine in question with at least a couple dozen dwarves were totally obliterated. I don't think even plate would help. There must be a safer quest available, killing a dragon, serving papers on Lord Morgan, calling a Morganette an ugly cow, something in that vein.

Maybe we could seek our khuzan friend to get him to appear at a celebrity event at the inn...a grudge match as it were.
"Hello Sir Baris. Come and play with us. Come and play with us, Sir Baris. Forever... and ever... and ever."
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:19 pm

Well, I might point out that in terms of numbers, you do have a few troops you could bring along. The odds wouldn't be all that out of whack. Probably ...
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:56 pm

I think you are quoting Custer just before the Little Big Horn skirmish. We all know how well that turned out...
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Sir Baris » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:18 pm

Imarë wrote:I think you are quoting Custer just before the Little Big Horn skirmish. We all know how well that turned out...

I think what Matt, the GM, who controls the very gods, is telling us is that he wouldn't totally kill us all if we fought the orcs. :-D

Unless we were really dumb. And we never do anything dumb, like wandering around monster infested dungeons all by ourselves, right?
Vemion delenda est.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Imarë » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:14 pm

He would not preempt player activity. While a gargun swarm is no brain trust, if you are in it's path, you have a problem. I recall that once a PC decided to search a renegade Temple of Naveh. While not actively going after player, had he been discovered it would have ended badly. While Sir Baris survived his folly, it was close and the dice were waiting should a new character be needed. There are old gargun fighters and bold gargun fighters but no old, bold gargun fighters.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:36 am

Now, now, what is this talk of Custer? Let's remember he divided his command in the face of a superior enemy, and surely no one in this group would make such an elementary blunder?

Also, there is an enormous difference between a gargun swarm and a gargun lodge. Who's talking about a swarm?

This is pretty basic after all: scout the lodge and then formulate a plan of attack. Apple pie. :D
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:23 am

Let us look at this from the other end. What would doing this give us? As far as I know they do not have money or gems (nobody has been looting Moria here). Their pelts are not salable nor is there a bounty on their lives. If we did this no one would believe it (the fish that got away). So, what should make us (especially those of us with less armor) wish to go after a creature with the nickname "foulspawn"? Good reasons do not include "it would be fun" nor "it's on my bucket list". This is like playing with fire, especially from the knight who wandered off on his own to get a shield in a place he knew there were creepies (or in the GM's parlance, divided the command) prowling.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:03 pm

I seem to recall the was a reason for bothering the gargun, some item the magic types wanted. I don't object to the notion of attempting it, but might we not miss the festivities up in Gardiren if we get too deep in the weeds with the gargun?

For the short term, I believe instigating Sir Lyndar to call Sir Ewen out was on the agenda...
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:57 pm

That is a more noble endeavor to my mind. If there were a profit in going after gargun it would make sense. To get the information about the object, it would require getting in touch with the magical order at Sir Ewen's manor. How far do we trust Garth in telling the truth about how useless they are?

On the first topic, the new inn might be the place to start the "Sir Lyndar is a coward for not calling out Sir Ewen". What other ideas can we use to get him riled up enough to go into folly (we hope).
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:09 pm

I believe the initial interest was to gain access to the chantry for Kaelyn, and presumably there might be benefits accruing to the whole group from the contact.

And there is a bounty on gargun - most sheriffs pay a bounty for each ear brought in. It differs, but averages about 3d per. This is just a correction, not an endorsement one way of the other.

Van's point on timing is apt, as the time to reduce a lodge (or simply obtain whatever it is the S-Ps want) could be substantial.

Nevertheless, I think it's clear that Dave is opposed. 8)
Matt
The GM

Postby Sir Baris » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:45 pm

Yeah, I had thought that going after the gargun might conflict with going up to Gardiren as well, I should have mentioned that. Obviously, a real war more relevant to our interests is something Baris is more interested in. :twisted:

If we could do both? That's still Baris's vote.
Vemion delenda est.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Imarë » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:06 pm

I am not wholly opposed, I just need a reason to go after such a target. For the fun of it is not a reason in my book. The object needed (a mission in other words) would be a valid reason. Hopefully an elf and an SP can hopefully get in to see them. With the ability to clairvoy and scry people in the north we could keep abrest of developments. As I recall, we don't wish the Viking attack to be easily beaten back so if Sir Ewen were "unavailable" on a valid task, he would not have to be involved in the opening stages (to our advantage to be away in other words).

I also see my mission as a devils advocate, make whatever proposal made be defended and discussed. If a majority of the party still wants to do something (attacking a gargun hive in this instance), we have all sides of the argument.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:22 pm

While I shan't dispute Sir Ewen' martial prowess, I hardly think adding him to the mix in Gardiren will necessary result in the Harbaalese hordes being easily beaten back. But Dave raises a good point, should we be first in the saddle, or dilatory? I lean toward the former, on the assumption that Sir Baris would be loath to miss any of the fun. And being present sooner leaves perhaps more opportunities for making mischief with other Kaldoric forces (can any one say, invisible mental blast knocking Neph off his horse?) while burnishing our own reputations by killing anonymous vikings. And maybe Imarë and Cekiya can slip across enemy lines and give away Kaldor's dispositions, who knows? So I say better to get there early, but feel free to dissent.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:00 pm

I would not want to be there at the beginning, it could look like you were waiting for it. If we keep abrest of the events with Neph and the others, we can probably get to the scene of action fairly quickly. It will take some time for the King and nobles to collect their army and be able to move north to intercept. This attack would probably entail a feudal levy, calling up everyone they can. Not just for a primary attack but to provide protection to the castles and manors left behind. A couple of weeks at least I think before a formidable Kaldoran army can take the field to effectively fight the Viking horde. If we are going after a gargun hive we will probably want some of the troops with us. You can arrange to have the others move to support us if a set of circumstances arises, bringing your whole force to bear. You don't want Thilisa left unprotected anyway so some of the troops need to stay in any event.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Sir Baris » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:57 pm

Good points.

About how far apart is the likely site of the viking attack and any gargan hive we might destroy?
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:32 pm

Generally speaking, the vikings are to the north and the gargun are to the south. In other words, nowhere near each other. :wink:

Also, I might point out that King Haldan is in Tashal. If he issues a call for troops, right now, it will be from the city.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:34 am

Just to know what we are discussing, the south (true south) would be Burzyn and the tribes of humans. This would be more south west? The areas near Lake Benath?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:39 am

Lake Benath? No, that would be due west.

We are talking south. As in straight down.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:56 am

Hmmm, I thought that was just Burzyn et. Al. Thanks for the clarification.

My reckoning with how long it will take to assemble forces is thus. Using Tolkien as a reference, the word must come south of an attack. Even on horseback that would probably take a day or more. Once the news hits Tashal, messages must be sent to the vassals, another day or two to get to the intended nobles. They in turn must summon their vassals and raise the troops (it's spring, people are busy planting etc). It will take at least a day or two to get the troops going assembled. Once they start moving, it is at a foot pace (not terribly fast in the best of conditions). Once they reach Tashal, they will have to be formed into units and ordered for movement. Most of an army would then move at the pace of the foot troops. The nobles and knights could arrive more quickly but they would be moving without support. Once the Viking horde reaches Kaldor, they also will probably slow. They will have to capture towns, fortified manors, and castles. They will also probably be busy plundering whatever they can get to (I think we have decided that they would not want to hold a landlocked country, just raid). The northern fiefs will probably be on their own for awhile to hold the raiders back as much as possible. Of course, the lovely weather of Harn in spring will not make transportation any easier (gotta love mud...). Please let me know of flaws in my reasoning?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:00 am

Imarë wrote:Hmmm, I thought that was just Burzyn et. Al. Thanks for the clarification.

There's a lot of land between Tashal and Burzyn. Half of Kaldor, the Pagaelin range, northern Chybisa - plenty of room for mischief.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:48 pm

If we were to head south, it would give us a chance to see if our spectral friend is limited by distance or if he is tuned into the sword. I can't imagine him getting a warm response from the Morganettes or whoever is the custodian now.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Imarë » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:02 pm

A thought on the Sir Lyndar front. Is he apt to come out if Sir Ewen is next door? I think the thing to do is start spreading whatever rumor then going on a known journey. He would then think it safe to go out and resume his normal activities. The rumors hit him and wouldn't he be more likely to say something with his nemesis absent? When Sir Ewen returns, he would then have to follow through or face further ridicule by his peers. Any thoughts on this?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Imarë » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:23 pm

Just another thought, about being in Tashal if invasion news is received. The King might send a delaying force of troops available. I think the FKK would be included in this sacrificial group. He does not seem overly fond of you to start with and a "brave" death on the field would not trouble him. You might find it best to be currently "unavailable".
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Next

Return to I Dare Do all that May Become ...