Varayne Tourney

Postby Sir Aeomund » Mon May 13, 2013 2:16 pm

Place holder for the tourney plan.
Sir Aeomund
Captain
Captain

Re: Varayne Tourney

Postby Matt » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:59 pm

Deleted Dave's new one, let's keep tourney planning here.
Matt
The GM

Postby Sir Baris » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:17 pm

So let's start a list of things we need to prepare, and what we need to roleplay through and what we can do on the board.

Who to invite- invitations? How is this done?

Location- In Varayne - It's Ewen's lands, but we should start preparing the location, let the local authorities know so they can do stuff on their end. No need to worry about the story leaking before we want- it's not like the Internet exists.

What goods do we need to buy, where are we going to get them?

1. Lances
2. Horse feed
3. People Food (where does it come from?!?!?)
4. Tents
5. Material for stands around the lists
6. Material for the lists
7. Cost of various servants to do necessary tasks like food prep for a gazillion people (included in cost of food?)
8. Ale- lots of ale.

Event planning- Just a joust, correct? Do we want to provide something for the peasants to do as well? It can't be that expensive to add on an archery contest.

We talked about defraying the costs by getting kickbacks in return for information about the tourney or perhaps we could sell exclusive contracts to certain providers. Is that something we can do Matt? If so, who wants to pay to be the exclusive provider of Ale for the Ewen Games?

I think we can do all of this, except for maybe negotiating the kickbacks, on the board. This is prob something Ewen would send servants to handle anyway, and they'd come to him for advice on stuff that he needed to sign off on, and when they needed money.
Vemion delenda est.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:43 am

This looks like a great start. I need to give it some thought, but it seems to me that one critical issue is publicizing the tournament and ensuring that enough knights show up to avoid a net prestige loss on our part. Sir Aeomund can perhaps canvas the LoP knights to get a good turnout. Scions of major houses should be pursued and invited, and I think the GM's Major Knights of Kaldor pdf should be plundered for invitees. And, of course, the roster from the 731 Olokand tournament.

As bailiff of Varayne, Lady Aefawynn will be heavily involved in local logistics, I should think.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Sir Baris » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:35 am

I think we definitely have to invite Sir Whatshisname, the old guy who just kept surviving that Megan was running at the last tourney.
Vemion delenda est.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:08 am

Definitely. That way there will be at least two drunk knights at the tournament!
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:43 am

Sir Baris wrote:Who to invite- invitations? How is this done?

Heralds, basically. You send heralds out to the various parts of the kingdom from which you wish to invite participants. Of course, word of mouth will play a small role. sooner rather than later on this one, depending on the date you decide upon.

Sir Baris wrote:1. Lances

Weaponcrafters.

Sir Baris wrote:2. Horse feed

Ostlers.

Sir Baris wrote:3. People Food (where does it come from?!?!?)

Innkeepers.

Sir Baris wrote:4. Tents
5. Material for stands around the lists
6. Material for the lists

Tentmakers.

Sir Baris wrote:7. Cost of various servants to do necessary tasks like food prep for a gazillion people (included in cost of food?)

Two separate questions. The innkeepers will cover food labor. Sir Ewen the rest.

Sir Baris wrote:8. Ale- lots of ale.

Also innkeepers.

Sir Baris wrote:Event planning- Just a joust, correct? Do we want to provide something for the peasants to do as well? It can't be that expensive to add on an archery contest.

Always nice to remember the little people. If you give this task to the Reeve at Varayne, it can be taken care of that way.

Sir Baris wrote:We talked about defraying the costs by getting kickbacks in return for information about the tourney or perhaps we could sell exclusive contracts to certain providers. Is that something we can do Matt? If so, who wants to pay to be the exclusive provider of Ale for the Ewen Games?

As I've mentioned, you need to be careful not to breach guild privilege. As Sir A discovered with the weaponcrafter last time, these things can be tricky. Essentially, the guildsmen have a monopoly on the purveyance of goods and services associated with their guild. All you can do is give them a license to set up shop in Varayne. What deal you make for that license is where you have some leverage. You can also steer potential customers their way, but that is more a measure of your ability to influence than an economic hold.
Matt
The GM

Postby Matt » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:16 am

Sir Ewen wrote:one critical issue is publicizing the tournament and ensuring that enough knights show up to avoid a net prestige loss on our part. Sir Aeomund can perhaps canvas the LoP knights to get a good turnout. Scions of major houses should be pursued and invited, and I think the GM's Major Knights of Kaldor pdf should be plundered for invitees. And, of course, the roster from the 731 Olokand tournament.

Yes, you should consider the great nobles and the major knights your first stop. Do not forget that the great houses have younger scions. The RCTC 731 is a good source, but there are other knights you have met who were not there. You might also consider if you wish to invite a Thardic champion through Stimos and a Melderyni through Arren Lydel.

There are two ways to go with the tourney itself. A process of elimination rounds like the RCTC or a take on all comers approach. If the former, you should probably aim for 64, which gives 32 knights a side. The 'prestige circle' would be the final 8 or 4 as you prefer. This version is logistically easier from a gaming perspective.

An all comers approach would be handled a little differently. You would set a certain number of days for the tourney and knights would hang their shields on a challenge wall where other knights would come and challenge them as they pleased. In this manner, some knights could receive many challenges, while others few or none. Knights could participate until they were no longer capable either physically or materially. This version is much freer, and challenges tend to be somewhat less formal. Knights may challenge each other at any time, or say they will take on all comers. the rules are essentially as you define them within some basic parameters. The final day would be set aside for the best knights - as determined by the judges - to enter the lists and joust in elimination until only one is left. This version is harder to manage game-wise.

In any case, Sir Ewen cannot participate in person. He might have a champion, or he might simply be the host. There is prestige in both aspects. Great nobles do not generally participate in their own tourneys, but Ewen is not a great noble and he is the FKK. Keep in mind, that if Ewen has a champion, all glory and winnings of that champion redound to Ewen. The champion gets only that compensation Ewen decides to give him. For this reason, it would be unsatisfying for either Baris or Aeomund to play that role if you choose to use a champion. It's actually hard to imagine who would be satisfying in that role.

There should also be a Master of the Tourney, who can be a knight but doesn't have to be, who also will not participate in the lists. This official is technically responsible for organizing the tourney and selecting the judges.

Sir Ewen wrote:As bailiff of Varayne, Lady Aefawynn will be heavily involved in local logistics, I should think.

Yes indeedy. Possibly the MotT, but maybe just assisting behind the scenes if she is to participate.
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:22 pm

I like the idea of inviting Stimos and Lydel to send a champion, in part because I believe we should take every opportunity to fiddle with the knobs of Kaldoric politics, turning them this way and that, learning a bit of something each time while always ready to exploit a resultant opportunity. It also adds to the prestige of the tournament, adds a bit of extra drama, and helps ensure an extra two knights in attendance.

Similarly, I incline toward the elimination model with which we are familiar. It seems to afford an opportunity to lock in attendees, assuming we accurately guess what the size of the starting field should be, by requiring every knight to have a "slot" if he is to participate. Also, the last tournament was fun (although perhaps I am biased on that score), so why opt for an unfamiliar formula? Finally, by opting for a similar style as the Olokand tournament, we are associating our tournament in peoples mind's with the King's tournament, which can't hurt...
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:03 am

A preliminary (and by no means exhaustive) list:

Great nobles
Major knights
Stimos
Arren Lydel
Baris Tyrestal
Aeomund Legith
Afaewynn Barthy
Rollard D'audrieu ?
Sedris Savellce
Catham Savellce
Harapa Indama
Hedare Thaelbis
Tenden Ryselith
Prehil Firith
Meden Curo
Toren Curo
Gorbar Elorieth
Scina Dariune
Karison Dariune
Eadril Dariune
Karsin Ubael
Feren Ubael
Celed Ubael
A Valador
A Labarn
A Delwarne
A Larquste
Houla Artona et seq.
Matt
The GM

Postby Arva » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:21 am

Sir Baris wrote:I think we definitely have to invite Sir Whatshisname, the old guy who just kept surviving that Megan was running at the last tourney.

YES!!!

I forget his name...I don't think it was the guy I renamed pair of trousers (which is the only name I really remember).
I feel like a new person....
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Sir Aeomund » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:53 pm

Complete.
Sir Aeomund
Captain
Captain

Return to I Dare Do all that May Become ...