Who dares do more...

Plans, operations, and intentions

Moderator: Imarë

Who dares do more...

Postby Lord Ewen » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:11 pm

Having recently observed to the GM the tendency for our threads on the forum to lean heavily toward plot-level concerns, while generally going light on concrete planning, I suppose I had better follow through with a post to get the ball rolling now that he has kindly furnished a spot dedicated to the very purpose. By batting around a plan of action or two, we may be able to save some time on game day.

One group about whom we remain largely in the dark is the Morgathians, and I wonder whether it would behoove us to rectify this. I'm wondering whether anyone has any suggestions on how we might do this. They seem the most secretive bunch by far, and I can't help but wonder how many of Golotha's denizens whom we have already met are likely to don creepy masks and march up the hillside every now and then. How does one gain entry to this select group, identify themselves to one another, etc.? Not that I am suggesting anything as hazardous as infiltration, but it may pay to know more generally how they recruit or acquire new members (the live type, that is). We know where the temple is in the city, but I wonder how often it is frequented by the bretheren, what kind of traffic goes through. Would some discrete monitoring of traffic in the vicinity be worthwhile, an attempt to identify or track any likely members? And when is the next procession due (it's been almost a month since the last one)? Do we have any current contacts who might be worth questioning about what they know or have heard about the church's members or activities?

Not that we have to take this tack, but it occurs to me that this would be one way of shaping our plans going into next session, rather than simply killing a few days trying to recover from the house party and spend more of our evanescing riches.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:11 pm

Although I have weighed in many times on the "Plots Have I Laid" section, I feel that this one is more for you guys.

Therefore, I will refrain.

Still, I think it grand, and encourage you all to use this new subject area to plan out your activities for the session. 8)
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:48 am

I suppose if we need to find out more about the Morgathians (I thought the information gathering portion of this was over) the best way would be infiltration. Imare, as a Sindar, would probably be ill equiped to do this (I don't think there are many Morgathians amongst my people). Ewen and Sir Baris have both participated in local Halean rituals and, if the temple is watched, could be known. Even Bevan has had dealings with Halea. Masks might help but does anybody know how to find them and do we know enough of the rituals to be able to pull something like that off.

Does Ewen have any reason to believe that his brother or Valgari might be among the followers of Morgath? They do seem to enjoy killing things for no apparant reason but I think, to those of us not so inclined, any of the death religions would fit that bill. It must also be considered that there are other, mystic, ways that the rituals of the church are protected (the dead did not seem to come out to greet the Morgathian procession for instance).

My impression of what we are to do is to get Valgari and Stavron. I will assume that to get one will lead to the other (Stavron first I would think). From what I have observed of deryni actions, they are not known for modesty, chastity, and poverty. I think Valgari will be living well and in someplace which does not require the immediate services of an exterminator. This being said, there are a lot of places in the city for somebody like this to hide comfortably (private and public). We have visited all the public inns and have not seen the man (but, since we have no idea what he looks like, that might not be true). This leaves Stavron as out link, and he seems to know that we are about. Can anyone think of a way to lure him out into the open to deal with? Ewen tried with the mutilation of Sir Felkar but alone was not able to do anything with it. Maybe now that we know what and why we are looking for him there is a way to exploit this. I am still drawn to Pelisa and the key in her throat. There is nothing about a key in all of Ewens tale and to have done it might be important. To me the murder was a taunt to Ewen, catch me if you can as it were and I cannot believe that it was done in a totally random fashion. Are there any places we know of that have a key in their symbols (an inn, locksmiths etc)? Perhaps it might be worthwhile to find out if Boraga has had any customers with a key in their mouth without the mascles on them. Also puzzling is the change in pattern that Stavron used. For the family servants he did not place one of the mascles on the groin but did on Palisa. We should also try to be more observant of who is around us, perhaps watching our actions as Stavron seemed to know a lot about Ewen.

This is all I can think of in terms of actions to be taken.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:36 pm

Imarë wrote:I suppose ... the best way would be infiltration.

Agreed, and one of the main points I took away from Sir Buell was that the lack of a mole in the Morgathian organization is a notable liability at this point. But this would also be the most hazardous option as well, perhaps by several orders of magnitude. To make it work, we would need to do considerable research into the Morgathian religion. Perhaps the library we inherited from Lenesque might be helpful, in spite of his apparent preference for Naveh. But book knowledge alone would likely be insufficient. And you are right in pointing out the degree to which we have all become rather public entities in the city, and not just in our association with the Haleans.

Any infiltration plan would need to be rather involved, I should think, and even careful planning might not mitigate the risk, although it might increase the chances of getting in. I don't think we stand a chance of faking a card-carrying Morgathian, so we would need to capture their attention to get in, by posing as an outsider. Let's say one of us radically changes our appearance (shaven head, rags, filthy) and takes up post as a beggar on a street corner, spouting a melange of gibberish and odd Morgathian theology. A sort of Poor Tom of Golotha, whose madness might seem harmless or entertaining to the average passerby, but portentious in a manner calculated to intrigue the Morgathians in their present plight. Chances are the Morgathians would intervene, and either kill the individual or take them to their bosums. But what's life without a little risk?

Imarë wrote:Does Ewen have any reason to believe that his brother or Valgari might be among the followers of Morgath?

Nothing beyond what you guys already know. Stavron's method of murdering Pelisa seems messy and Morgathian in retrospect, and Valgari's insane rage in which he murdered his family certainly does not suggest a disciplined Navehan approach to things, but who knows? I do not believe I have any recollection of Stavron displaying a fondness for exhuming corpses or anything when we were boys. There was no mention of any particular religion in my pregame until I took up Haleanism upon arrival in Coranan.

Imarë wrote:We have visited all the public inns and have not seen (Valgari) (but, since we have no idea what he looks like, that might not be true).

Recall that I did catch a glimpse of Valgari during the Duke's visit, although I saw him from afar and didn't know his identity at the time. I assume that, while I might not be guaranteed of recognizing him, I would probably have some kind of % chance of spotting him if we come across him. (I identified Sir Felkar right away.) BTW, to me this also rules out the chance, discussed on the other thread, that he was at the Aerth party which Bevan and I attended, as I would hope I would have recognized him at such short range.

Imarë wrote:This leaves Stavron as out link, and he seems to know that we are about. Can anyone think of a way to lure him out into the open to deal with? Ewen tried with the mutilation of Sir Felkar but alone was not able to do anything with it.

Please note that I have been trying, in various ways, to lure him out since the murder of Pelisa. I've certainly taken no steps to conceal myself in public, performing in taverns and such, practically inviting him to take a shot at me. I'm not sure he's lure-able, but am open to ideas. I'm also puzzled by why he doesn't attempt to kill me. Perhaps the answer to that question would explain why he refuses to be lured.

Imarë wrote:Also puzzling is the change in pattern that Stavron used. For the family servants he did not place one of the mascles on the groin but did on Palisa.

Yes, but he didn't rape the servants either. My theory is that he violated Pelisa because he thought we had a relationship (a few of the harpers incorrectly seemed to think so), and his variation on the mascles was part of the taunt (which I definitely agree it was).
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:48 am

My thought on Valgari was that he probably uses a disguise on many occasions. He is wanted by and known to Royal authorities. Ewens sighting of his brother on the daty of the visit by the Kings grandfather would probably indicate more security and by the best people. If I were a wanted man, I would not look like myself. He could either use a different disguise in Golotha or no disguise. It seems that Ewen was noticed by his brother (leading to the attack on his friend) and, knowing he had been seen could have changed his general disguise.

I think true infiltration by a member of the party might be beyond our skills. We know no one in the church, don't know their rituals, and (in my case) are afraid of them ('...death cults, why'd it have to be death cults...'). To me it would be like a worshiper of Ra coming to Ireland and trying to fit in with a medieval Catholic Mass. If we could find somebody to apply to, a disguise might work to get at least a shot at initiation. Gibbering about Morgath on the street corner would, to me, be on par with holding a noon time rally for supporters of Naveh in the main square.

On the brother front, I do agree that killing the family and the servants does tend to think of one of the death cults. The randomness of it does move away from Naveh (and there seemed to be no skill and grace about it, makes the rat catchers death seem like ballet moves) and toward one of the other two (I think Agrikans would have used weapons...). The question is one to think of. Could a fondness for Morgath have been the downfall of Valgari with Arren I (who had distanced himself from him)?

I had noted that it must have been difficult for Ewen to do everything to try to lure Stavron out and still keep the party in the dark. Now that he no longer needs to do this (and has multiple more sets of eyes), luring might be easier than it was before. Could Stavron be viewing this all as a game to be played and is toying with Ewen?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:19 am

Imarë wrote:We know no one in the church, don't know their rituals, and (in my case) are afraid of them ('...death cults, why'd it have to be death cults...').

There might be something in Erol's library ...
Last edited by Matt on Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:31 am

The library is a good place to start. I thought it had been mentioned before but it must have been in the other section.

Observation of the temple would be made more difficult because of where it is, the Legionaires are not letting people just wander onto that island and providing explanations or credentials is kind of counterproductive. I do believe that watching the temple on the hill is not the smartest thing to do although it does tend to get the heart pounding...

We do have to decide:
1) is Stavron associated with Valgari or somebody else
2) are they affiliated with the Morgathians
3) if not, do we want to be involved with this death cult?
4) is Valgari associated with the unrest in the city
5) if so, what are his goals
6) how do we kill them (kill zem, kill zem both)
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:15 pm

Imarë wrote:(kill zem, kill zem both)

Imarë wrote:('...death cults, why'd it have to be death cults...').

You didn't watch Raiders recently by any chance?
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:33 pm

No, they just seemed to fit for some reason. I was wondering if anyone would get them...
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:00 pm

OK, we can scratch the notion of infiltration, as well as any plan to reconnoiter the environs of the city temple. We'll start with our new library, but I somehow doubt we'll find something specific to the denizens of Golotha (unless one of the tomes bears an inscription "To Erol, from your favorite Morgathian, Sir Tovar", or something of the sort).

I suppose Ewen might cultivate Sir Buell, although the knight may well be leary of his cover being blown by frequent visits (although, it must be said, Ewen was already becoming a bit of a regular at the Agrikan stronghold.) Any other plans for action on Saturday? I suppose there's always shopping, and hoping the GM lobs something our way...
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Bevan » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:34 pm

I believe a hunting trip with Sir Blors the bore is planned for Bevan and Sir Baris. Let me know if there is something specific anyone would like us to learn while we cultivate a meaningful relationship shooting arrows and what not. Unless more of you would like to join the hunt or at least the post-hunt celebration.

As for the Morgathians we certainly need to learn more. The last march we witnessed was on the 13th of Larane and they occcur about twice a month. We seem to have missed the last march for what ever reason. I would think the next march will be 13th of Agrazhar. I don't think we will learn much more watching from a window. I am a little leary of joining the march in disguise, but on the other hand I don't have any other ideas on how to learn about them. I wonder how much Rahel knows. I think Ewen would be the best to pursue that avenue.
Bevan
Squire
Squire

Postby Lord Ewen » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:51 pm

Bevan wrote:I believe a hunting trip with Sir Blors the bore

or is that "boor"? We shall see. In truth, I believe he was almost affable with Sir Baris. We can be so lamentably negative about people. Like the insistance in this forum on calling Boraga's assistants "minions". It's just uncalled-for :)

Bevan wrote:Let me know if there is something specific anyone would like us to learn while we cultivate a meaningful relationship shooting arrows and what not.

Even though we downgraded Sir Blors on our list of potential bad guys some time back, I think he remains a person of significant interest. Seems like it would be helpful to learn more about his opinions of the various other personages we have run across, who he counts as allies or trustworthy, who he does not, etc. Sir Baris learned a bit about Blors' opinion of Sir Tovar when they dined together, and more in that vein would be welcome. Is the man religious? Is he a confirmed bachelor? Where do his people come from? Does he have any present ambitions? How far did he and Sir Felkar go back?

Bevan wrote:Unless more of you would like to join the hunt or at least the post-hunt celebration.

Ewen can acquit himself well enough in the saddle, and certainly Imarë would be handy on a hunt (I somehow doubt she rides side-saddle :wink: ), but I wonder whether it would be better for both of us to de-emphasize those talents. What do you think? On the other hand, Ewen would be more than delighted to join any post-hunt partying, if Bevan or Sir Baris can swing him an invitation.

Bevan wrote:As for the Morgathians we certainly need to learn more.

The Halean temple is directly across the street from the Morgathian temple in the city, which is where, I believe, the procession begins and ends. Might they be worth cultivating further, either as a source of information about individuals seen going into the M temple from time to time, or as a vantage from which we can spy upon the next procession? Perhaps cultivating a priestess, or one of the male sentries, might be worth a shot.

Bevan wrote:I wonder how much Rahel knows. I think Ewen would be the best to pursue that avenue

Certainly happy to try 8)

It also occurs to me, particularly if we plan to remain in the city for a time (with Bevan owning real estate, and all), that Ewen should begin advertising his availability, through Nicola, to play at private events and dinners in Golotha. He spent much of his pregame doing this in Coranan, and he netted a number of contacts and persons of influence from the process. You know, playing at weddings and bar mitzvahs. He could develop some contacts with stewards in households, etc. I think at times performers at a dinner, like household servants, are overlooked as "background" by attendees, and might thereby overhear interesting things or observe much while carrying out their duties. Any interest in my pursuing this angle?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:02 am

Ewen Wrote:

Like the insistance in this forum on calling Boraga's assistants "minions". It's just uncalled-for

You would prefer maybe toady? :twisted:

On Sir Blors, he is one of the most powerful Royal officials in the area. Even having his good opinion would be nice to have. To antagonize him would be a mistake in my opinion. He is bluff and blunt and can be unpleasant but he seems loyal to the government we are currently serving. As I said earlier, I think some of his change in opinion might be due to Bevans change in circumstances (his treatment of Sir Baris might be a clue to this, he is a knight and therefore due courtesey. Bevan is now entering this class).

With the hunting, Imare is content to let her "betters" hobnob together. I think it will be more jovial if it is seen as a purely social event. If Bevan brings "the help" it might put a damper on the event and remind him that Bevan has a mission that he is not in agreement with.

Ewens idea about the temple of Halea sounds like a winner. I am sure that the guards of the temple keep the Morgathians under their watch just from a precautionary standpoint. What does Ewen suggest as a plan for this? Ewen would be able to get closer to a priestess but would stand a much lower chance of getting close to a guard in the same manner. Imare would be willing to help in this. What would a good way of going about this?

I think that Ewen's idea about going on the party circuit is a good one also. People at a private party talk, mingle and, more importantly, drink. Just be careful that you are not on the receiving end of a party like Sir Z threw for the new servants. Let Imare know if there is anything that she can do to help in this.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:17 am

Imarë wrote:Bevan is now entering this class

Just to clarify here, Bevan has always been of the gentlefolk, and so was always of Blors' class. Blors, as a sheriff, is kind of an ersatz noble, but he's really just a knight.

Imarë wrote:Ewen would be able to get closer to a priestess but would stand a much lower chance of getting close to a guard in the same manner. Imare would be willing to help in this.

Better keep your strength up - I hear the fleet'll be in any day ... :lol:
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:44 am

With Bevan I had been more indicating the increase in her fathers position, both in the government as now knighted. He is now an important member of the same group Sir Blors is and I think that this is an influence on him (as Orwell said, some pigs are more equal than others). I could just be whistling dixie here also. I just find it suspect that Bevan seems more acceptable now and this is the only change I have seen. Maybe he also perceives, as seemingly does Parqu, that she was influential in causing the Agrikan rebellion and then loss of power and influence.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:52 pm

Imarë wrote:On Sir Blors, he is one of the most powerful Royal officials in the area. Even having his good opinion would be nice to have. To antagonize him would be a mistake in my opinion

Agreed, and thus the upcoming hunt will be a good thing. Feel free to add to the questions of interest I posted above, as it will help to keep in mind as we schmooze him.
Imare wrote:Ewens idea about the temple of Halea sounds like a winner.

Thanks. Seems like we need a cover story to explain our curiosity, and I'll give it some thought. Perhaps we can tie something in with the story about my fictional Halean mother, which we have already asked them about. I imagine the Haleans' main concern in this will be to not draw the attention of their unpleasant neighbors, although if reassured on this point they may prove helpful. The male guards may not be too bright, having been chosen for other attributes which might not correlate strongly with intelligence, but perhaps I'm wrong. But it's likely the guards are the ones who would be more likely to actually see people going into the Morgathian temple. There seems to be two ways to go. Cultivate a contact who may be able to tell us of anyone identifiable who frequents the M temple, or actually find a way to use the grounds of the Halean temple to observe the Ms ourselves. The latter would require a priestess contact, I would think. Of course, the ultimate in gameplay fun would be Sir Baris or Ewen getting a temporary gig as an honorary Halean temple guard (think of the fashion coup involved in that) :shock: (That's me, always trying to think outside the box)

Imare wrote:I think that Ewen's idea about going on the party circuit is a good one also... Let Imare know if there is anything that she can do to help in this

How's your singing voice, babe? (If the answer is "ethereal", you're hired.) There would be an advantage to having a second set of eyes and ears (you're sure you're an elf?) present in this sort of operation, and it would make for more entertaining gameplay if I wasn't doing it solo all the time. Perhaps Imarë could pose as Ewen's road manager, making sure he has a bottle of Perrier and a decent intermission, that sort of thing. Perhaps she's good for backing vocals, or just to look smashing on stage. Let's talk. 8)
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Bevan » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:17 pm

I reviewed my notes and Sir Aurum mentioned the activity of the M's in Selvos. According to the GM it is about a day or two ride, about the same by ship. I would like to make plans to visit to town and see what the vibe is there. I also think it will be an interesting tidbit I add to my report to Air Aurum.

Timing wise it will have to happen after the hunt and whatever may come up in between.
Bevan
Squire
Squire

Postby Lord Ewen » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:29 pm

Cool - a trip into the country to take the airs should be a welcome break from the noisome streets of Golotha.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:10 am

Ewen: Yes, I am a sindar. I just cannot hear or taste very well (how these two got together I have no clue). As another pair of eyes, on the other hand, I am very good. If I can lean something to help back you up (triangle maybe??) I would be glad to accompany you places.

I have no idea how the temple of Halea choose their guards. In this city they might just choose for intelligence and fighting ability over looks, it just is not a safe neighborhood. If you can get a gig there, that would be great. I do not know how they do their celebrations but if it is like a party gathering you might be able to make friends then. Another thing to look at is where the guards spend their off time, a casual meeting at a tavern would be good.

Imare is always up for a trip into the country. Is there something at Selvos you want to learn in specific or just general information gathering?

Has anybody read the information on Morgath provided by the GM. It is laced with information which might be applied. That most of the followers come from a revenge oriented backround and blame others for what happens to them sounds a little like Stavron. Ewen said they were both raised by their grandfather to want to revenge themselves on Pallisers, that it was not his families fault anything happend. It also mentions younger sons (I belive Ewen is older and would have come into whatever position the family had). When I have time I will post more on what I got out of the information (tough here at work).

We also need to work on the books and papers we took from Jeremiz house. I think there might be something there of a non-visible type. One wonders what a thief would keep track of. His other potential interests are of more curiosity. Any thoughts on how to do this (magical or just mechanical).

Off topic for GM, Imare would like to add some small, blue sapphires or other blue stones to her collection. Heads up!
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:26 pm

OK, we'll figure some way to include Imarë in Ewen's gigs. I'll contact Nicola to have her begin talking me up. As for the Temple of Halea, I wonder if a direct approach would work (I know it's not our style). In other words, meet with a priestess and say, Look, things in the city are at a tipping point, the Agrikans have been driven out and something will happen with the Morgathians next. We need information, will take care not to jeopardize your temple, and the outcome promises to be good for the city in general and the Temple of H in specific, compared with the old regime. How do you think such an approach would play out?

As for sapphires, does the elf's lust for baubles know no limits?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:47 pm

You forgot bangles and beads. The answer in general is no, it knows no bounds. I mentioned the gems as a heads up to Matt so that I can include them on the necklace I am planning for myself and has special meaning to Imare.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:47 pm

Ewen wrote:As for the Temple of Halea, I wonder if a direct approach would work (I know it's not our style).

I don't see where this would be a problem as you've already 'worshipped' there a couple of times, and you made a large donation of material recently. Now, get that 1st penny of every 7 tithe going, and I'm sure you'll get an audience of some sort ... :wink:

Ewen wrote:As for sapphires, does the elf's lust for baubles know no limits?

It is shocking, I know, but strangely, I fully understand the request.
Matt
The GM

Postby Bevan » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:57 pm

Imarë wrote:Imare is always up for a trip into the country. Is there something at Selvos you want to learn in specific or just general information gathering?
Sir Aurum mentioned that he heard there has been Morgathian unrest as far south as Selvos so I would like to learn what the Morgathians are doing there, is there a similar Morgathian/Agrikan relationship, and I am sure I will come up with more things I would like to learm there.

Actually I just thought of something else. No one in the party has ever travelled to Selvos so we are not likely to be recognized. Would it be a good idea to learn about the Morgathians there first? At least to try and learn some basic Morgathian if possible? I would also like to make this trip prior to Dwilith's return. Can someone remind me again when that is suppose to be? It seems to me that is with a month.

Ewen wrote:As for the Temple of Halea, I wonder if a direct approach would work (I know it's not our style).
I say why not!
Bevan
Squire
Squire

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:41 pm

I have no problem with making the Selvos trip sooner rather than later. It may be worthwhile considering how we can best exploit our anonymity in Selvos. I seem to recall our quickly regretting that we allowed ourselves to become rapidly recognized as a foursome in Golotha, as it precluded certain options. Selvos isn't going to be near as big a place, so perhaps we should plan this on the front end.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Return to I Dare Do all that May Become ...