To The Job At Hand...

Discussions regarding plotlines, paranoid musings, and other related ruminations

Moderator: Imarë

In what manner would you like to kill our friend?

Run blade through him
No votes
Slit throat
No votes
Poison
No votes
Cut off head
33%
Tie him to four horses
67%

Total votes : 3

To The Job At Hand...

Postby Imarë » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:25 am

Now that we have received our assignment, I think we need to get some of our basics out of the way.

First, if we use the Selata to deliver us south, we should not keep it around and should go to a place more remote than the closest port. I say these for several reasons. First, while the original ship was inconspicuous (without name etc), the dak is larger and has a name on it. If the ship stays wherever, there is a chance it will be remembered and we don't want to be remembered. The second part to this is to use a port that is not the closest. If it were me and was going to expect some kind of attack, travel by sea would be an option to keep my eye on. I don't think we want him to be waiting for us, we might not like the outcome. The prolonged use of the Selata would also cut into the merchant profit available (unless Dwilith intends to stop for the winter). Moreover, the more mouths in a local port and an available tavern (loose lips etc).

Second, I think we should go with the supplies to camp rather than use a local inn or tavern. Once again, strangers would be looked at and noticable. If we take our time in scouting before we make our play there is manifest time to be seen. I would also recomend using aliases and some kind of disguise (even if just a cloak like Stavron).

Third, we should see if we can develop any intelligence on the abbey and the environs (map, rule, residents). It would be nice to know if this is the home to part of the fighting order or just normal priests (who would also fight I know, just that there might not be as many).

Fourth, how are we planning to attempt this? Direct attack on one at a time or on both? Blade or arrow? Do we let our friend know that it is us getting revenge at the end or kill him without that climactic revenge moment?

We may also want to lay in supplies that might be used in contingencies. I suggest finding some kind of sleeping draught in case we need to drug some of the abbey's population. We might never get a chance to use it, but if we do it could make things easier. If we wish to use weapons that identify with others, we would need them (like using a mace to kill, inference of Agrik, something that might typify Morgath would be good since he seems to hate them so much). While I do not expect Quincy ME to be there performing an autopsy, I would like to keep our names and descriptions as far away from being noticed as possible. With Sir Auram's secret blessing I do not belive there will be a great search for the villians by the authorities but having two of their officials killed will probably cause the church of Larani to be a little miffed and strike back.

Does anybody have any additions or comments on my thoughts? Let's get going early, we have less time between sessions this time.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Re: To The Job At Hand...

Postby Matt » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:04 am

Imarë wrote:The prolonged use of the Selata would also cut into the merchant profit available (unless Dwilith intends to stop for the winter). Moreover, the more mouths in a local port and an available tavern (loose lips etc).

True, although some short-haul cargoes can be transported for some profit one would imagine. However, Dwilith will most likely be interested in refitting and then leaving - winter waters in the north tend to be worse, and he'll more likely want to engage in an extended voyage south.

However, Bevan and Imarë between them have more than 50% ownership and so can make the call as to where the ship goes and what it does. That decision would need to be made soon as Dwilith will not wish to pay an idle crew for long ...

BTW, for those interested, I've reconstituted the voyage of the Selata and she is a 48' single-masted dak, six years old, and very seaworthy according to Dwilith.

The profits accrue as follows:

Bevan Palliser (60 owner shares) - 12,874d
Dwilith Palliser (15 owner shares, 7.5 pilot shares) - 5,042d
Sir Arlen Selaty (15 owner shares) - 3,219d
Ardeth of Kerryn (15 owner shares) - 3,219d
Imarë Taërsi (15 owner shares) - 3,219d
Ship's Funds (22.5 non-owner shares) - 4,828d
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:22 am

With results like this, Dwilith may do as he wishes as far as Imare is concerned. I think that being dropped off without having to arrange a ride with strangers would be enough.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:34 pm

A few thoughts, for the nonce:

Let us not forget that we have two targets, not one. An ideal plan would involve the slaying of both targets in a single, coordinated action. Anything short of this carries with it the strong risk of missing the second target entirely, unless the plan specifically addresses a feasible way of killing the second after the first.

I strongly concur with the notion of disguise in this operation, although the plan itself might inform the degree to which this would be critical. Ideally, we should perhaps all consider specific means by which we can each radically alter our individual appearances for this. I think more than a ratty cloak will be called for. As we generate a plan, however, we may find that only a couple of us will require disguise, but all should at least mull the disguise option over.

I also concur with the notion of using the Selata II to get us somewhat nearby Avertu, followed by an overland trek to the keep's environs itself. Perhaps Dwilith might assist in identifying some other locale on the Gulf of Ederwyn. Or perhaps a night landing near Avertu by ship's boat (does a dak have/need a ship's boat?) would be more convenient.

Finally, given the degree to which we roared through the month of Halane in the last session while awaiting the Selata, I wonder whether the GM will allow any latitude in regard to our conducting research/preparation within reason during that month, or are we basically done with it and faced with conducting said activities when the next session commences? Certainly some general information gathering about Avertu, addressing questions such as Dave's, would fall into this category, but other preparations may come to mind as well as we formulate a plan.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:05 pm

Ewen wrote:Perhaps Dwilith might assist in identifying some other locale on the Gulf of Ederwyn. Or perhaps a night landing near Avertu by ship's boat (does a dak have/need a ship's boat?) would be more convenient.

Aleath is reasonably nearby, but the Selata does have a single pinda as ship's boat.

Ewen wrote:Finally, given the degree to which we roared through the month of Halane in the last session while awaiting the Selata, I wonder whether the GM will allow any latitude in regard to our conducting research/preparation within reason during that month, or are we basically done with it and faced with conducting said activities when the next session commences?

Yes, within the confines of what's available in Golotha. Give me a wish list, and I'll address it on the forum before the session. 8)

Oh, and Dave, you might want to cast a vote in your own poll. :wink:
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:32 pm

I do agree that the best way would be to get both targets at once but we should keep in mind that both of them belong to a fighting religion and might make quite a combination. I want to leave specifics of how until we are there.

If we have made the enemy that Sir Auram (and common sense) indicates, it is feasable to think that he has people looking for five individuals with our characteristics. I did not know to what level others would agree with me so I did not advocate radical transformation though I think that would be best. We should also remember that we have a Laranian cloak we found in one of the chests. Does the Laranian in the party have any idea if this is used ceremonially or if it is just a cloak in the colors. Might prove useful.

As some of us have had , er, rather negative experiences in Aleath, it might be as well to use the boat on an empty stretch of beach. If we are unable to obtain some of the information this far away, Aleath might be the place to start, it is close and would probably have more information available.

I would be looking for things like layout (map if possible), number of individuals normally residing at the abbey (and if they are of the fighting order), and any information that is around about our two targets (rumors of what they have accomplished in the past etc.). I would also like to see about something like a sleeping draft if it can be obtained. If there is a large staff it might be possible to slip it into the food or water (thus cutting down on the number of people who might walk in). Any other items which might be of use (though not required).

I have taken the poll and chosen the remaining one that I liked the best (I had several other options which seem to have dropped off the list...). This is not a question of how we will try to kill him, just how we would like to.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:39 pm

Imarë wrote:We should also remember that we have a Laranian cloak we found in one of the chests.

You found a cloak of Emelrenian linen in one of the chests. No Laranian connection that I know of.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:31 am

Sorry, I thought the cloak was associated with the statue. My mistake.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Imarë » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:03 am

Another thought on disguise. If there is time (it was mentioned that Dwilith wanted to do some maintenence), we should go and see Arva. As a professional thespian I would imagine this would be right up her line. Any thoughts?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:33 pm

I had also thought of a trek to see Arva for that very purpose, ruling it out when the GM confined our Halane activities to Golotha, but if we have time in Savor then by all means I think we should consider this. I had also contemplated a visit her brother as well, wondering if he (or any new-found connections at the university) might prove fruitful should we entertain the notion of employing any, shall we say, substances in our (as yet unformulated) plan :twisted:
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:39 pm

Minimum of five days there and back to Coranan with no guarantees.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:54 pm

I think much of this will depend on what kind of maintenece Dwilith wishes to conduct and how long it will take. I think the possibility of arriving in the vacinity by transport under our control is important. We should also consider what our exit strategy will be, I don't really want the Laranians to come after us if they have a suspicion that it was us. Any ideas how we should do this?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:22 pm

Reprovisioning and restocking the Selata won't take more than a day or two. Crew wages accrue daily, and Dwilith will be loathe to have them unproductive longer than necessary.
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:36 pm

Matt wrote:Minimum of five days there and back to Coranan with no guarantees.
Check. And we know Arva and Ardeth were both highly preoccupied with other matters during our recent visit, so this may prove a waste of time. But let's see what kind of plan we cook up first.

Matt wrote:Reprovisioning and restocking the Selata won't take more than a day or two. Crew wages accrue daily, and Dwilith will be loathe to have them unproductive longer than necessary.
Shore leave? In Golotha? Why worry? 8)

Seems we need some basic info about Avertu before concocting a plan. Are we talking about the two Serolans holing up in a provincial temple in the shadow of the keep, or is the local Serolan installed within the keep itself? The latter seems unlikely to me, but then we need to find out who holds the keep, what their reputation and status vis the Serolan is, etc. What is the likely strength in terms of manpower of the temple? Etc.

Can we trust Sir Tovar sufficiently to plumb him for such info, or see if he can discretely acquire it for us during the month of Halane? Of course the mission does not exist, so we would have to provide a cover story, in spite of the fact that he was entrusted (understandably) by Sir Auram with knowlege of Bevan's Golotha mission. And certainly questioning Sir Tovar about Avertu will chance his putting two and two together in the wake of us successfully assassinating two Serolans, which is sure to cause a kingdom-wide sensation. (Our plan, as I think someone else has already pointed out, will need to incorporate a scapegoat faction which can be blamed for the murders, I should think.)

We can also see if Dwilith or any of his hands is familiar with Avertu, but such information can only be gleaned in Savor, while I think we shoud maximize what reasonable research we can do during Halane first.

It seems to me that slaying two well-guarded Serolans can be accomplished broadly by one of two separate means: infiltrating where they are ensconced, or drawing them out into the open. The latter idea is, perhaps, inspired by our discussions of the plight of the late Subla Uldseth. I would like to at least explore this latter option. To which end, it would be helpful to learn something of the broader state of Laranian strongholds nearby to Avertu, as well as the local Serolan's known allies. In the interest of answering the following question: to where might the Serolan flee should she feel impelled to evacuate Avertu? Such a plan would need to ensure, of course, that the answer is not Caer Avertu.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Ardeth » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:50 am

Ewen wrote:
Matt wrote:Minimum of five days there and back to Coranan with no guarantees.
Check. And we know Arva and Ardeth were both highly preoccupied with other matters during our recent visit, so this may prove a waste of time.

Well, if you bring my 3,219d with you, I'm sure I can find some time for you. 8)
Ardeth
Captain
Captain

Postby Imarë » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:17 pm

Don't forget the carrying charge (heh, heh, heh).
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:49 pm

It's good to know that the scholar does not grow so otherworldly that he negects his fiscal priorities. :)
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:40 am

This is the last dark before the dawn (so to speak). Are there any aspects of what we are trying to do which have not been discussed enough? To sum up I think we have decided to:

1) go to Avertu by boat (which will then leave on more trading)

2) check into the local inn (under assumed names) in one or two groups (please indicate a preference)

3) scout the abbey for layout and to make sure our targets are there

4) if needed "question" a local about the place

5) quickly (if possible) make a nighttime raid on the abbey (perhaps using fire as a diversion) and kill the two targets

6) remove ourselves (by land) as quickly as possible, avoiding all settlements in the area (bringing our supplies from Golotha with us)

7) avoid all pursuit and return to Golotha

Still open are:

do we use the poison we have or not (if we are caught with it we could be in trouble even before any attempt. Once we have struck, having poison would not really increase the problem)?

do we strike one at a time, risking that the other will hear the struggle and be able to escape or get help or do we attack both at once?

stand up fight or bug hunt?

steal or no?

if we can manage it, do we give our former host some of his own hospitality back?

two groups or one (if two how do we separate before we get to the town)

will at least one of us posess a good disguise? Who?

will Sir Baris play M1A1 or be content to be a sherman?

anything I have missed or mischaracterized?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:26 am

I truly hate to beat a dead horse, but forgotten between this:

2) check into the local inn (under assumed names) in one or two groups (please indicate a preference)

And this:

3) scout the abbey for layout and to make sure our targets are there

Is that Chendy Abbey is not in Avertu. It is not 'just outside' Avertu. It is another village a distance (i.e. journey) away.

Thus you need a 2a) Travel to Chendy and find a place to stay while conducting 3.

Imarë wrote:6) remove ourselves (by land) as quickly as possible, avoiding all settlements in the area (bringing our supplies from Golotha with us)

7) avoid all pursuit and return to Golotha

You might also consider the route here. Entirely overland? That basically involves traveling east towards Aleath and then north on the Corani Road. I would not advise attempting the due north route over the moors - it's a good way to die. There is also west to Hebon or Sarkum where perhaps a boat may be hired to take you to Golotha. Or you might find yourself wintering there ...

Imarë wrote:stand up fight or bug hunt?

A touch gratuitous ...

Imarë wrote:steal or no?

Huh?

Imarë wrote:will Sir Baris play M1A1 or be content to be a sherman?

We'll find out tomorrow I imagine. 8)
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:40 am

Yes, I knew it was a separate community not too near each other and yes I should have added this step. I was going on the thought that we had decided to stay in Avertu and travel to Chendy for scouting etc. and did not need to state it again. Sorry if it caused confusion.

Entirely correct about route. I do not have a map (detailed or otherwise) which can look at (I have not looked at any of my Harn books since beginning to play again) so I could not discuss specifics yet. Heading west sounds like a plan (I still have an aversion to Aleath)

To expound on the next point, do we try to get them while they are asleep and try to cut their throats or do we just go after them when we know they are awake.

Steal or no - do we spend time after we kill them (if we manage it) to toss the place for money. Hate to seem too mercinary but we should decide ahead of time.

Trying to draw Sir Baris into conversation.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:32 pm

Imarë wrote:I was going on the thought that we had decided to stay in Avertu and travel to Chendy for scouting etc. and did not need to state it again.

My repeated reminders on this, despite both you and Van acknowledging receipt of the message do not seem to be conveying the message that this will be impractical at best.

Imarë wrote:I do not have a map (detailed or otherwise) which can look at (I have not looked at any of my Harn books since beginning to play again) so I could not discuss specifics yet.

A poetic map of the area is here. Note Avertu in the south. Villages are too small to appear.

Imarë wrote:(I still have an aversion to Aleath)

You're probably just being paranoid. Far worse happened in Selvos yet you were willing to go there if need be.

Imarë wrote:Trying to draw Sir Baris into conversation.

I doubt 1st semester law school leaves much time for this.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:36 pm

Sorry, the only reference to distance has been in the other thread:

Just a clarification as there seems to be some confusion. Chendy Abbey is not in Avertu, but some distance away. Chendy is essentially a manor unto itself. Avertu is merely the nearest settlement of any size.

Therefore I had no idea that this would be impractical. I vote for camping again.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:18 pm

Indeed, the recently released session notes indicate that Chendy is likely one to two days away from Avertu, which perhaps explains Matt's repetitions here.

Local places we have recently spent time in (Heroth, Hyen, Selvos, Menekod, etc) are all likely to be way bigger than Chendy, if my understanding is correct, as each of these boasts a keep whereas Chendy likely is dominated only by an unwalled abbey. Unless Chendy sits athwart some crossroads conveniently located between larger settlements, I would tend to doubt even an inn would waste its time in such a place, unless the abbey draws enough of the faithful in from the surrounding countryside to make such an establishment solvent. Thus, I wouldn't bet my chips on an inn, and must therefore allow that Dave's suggestion of camping out seems a likely recourse for us. Alternatives might include commandeering a small, more secluded domicile in the broad vicinity of Chendy to use as a base of operations, disposing of the denizens as the group sees fit. Camping, to my mind, raises the risk of being sighted and queried by routine patrols, either Laranian or secular. Stealing a shack works, probably, only if it's fairly detached from curious neighbors.

I am agnostic on the poison issue: I'm not opposed to bringing it along, although my sense is that we are planning more of a raid than a double assassination by poison. Firing an outbuilding and trying for a quick kill on the Serolans seems to me to make poison fairly moot. On the other hand, I'd hate to regret bringing it. To my mind, it all depends upon what we can find out: if we learn the location of the sleeping quarters of the two Serolans and think we can infiltrate, I would opt for killing them in their beds over the firebomb option, and in that case poison may be gilding the lilly. The fire is a distraction tactic, but it alerts everybody in a general sense, including our targets.

I vote for two simultaneous strikes, if obtained intelligence allows, for obvious reasons. No stealing, no torture. If my comments above about the size of Chendy hold true, then I'm not sure splitting up will matter: we'll need one or two persons to scout Chendy and report back to the group, then we'll plan and act.

For the most part, though, I've got a very bad feeling about this 8-[ . I believe a company of soldiers was mentioned at one point in the debate about the makeup of the abbey, and we surrendered to such without a fight in Selvos. My strong feeling is, if we are going to camp out on a freakin' heath in winter, where most of the vegetation is waist-high at the best of times (correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess we'll find out when we get there), then we should, as a group, be sufficiently disguised to withstand the curious scrutiny of any inquisitive patrol. But that's just me :wink:
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:19 pm

Ay, what's up with my emoticon? :roll:
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:29 pm

Some of the emoticons appear to have disappeared - probably during the upgrade when all the avatars went poof. I'll look into that after the session.
Matt
The GM

Return to Plots Have I Laid ...