Our Plans for Golotha

Discussions regarding plotlines, paranoid musings, and other related ruminations

Moderator: Imarë

Our Plans for Golotha

Postby Imarë » Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:58 pm

Since we have been given this new forum to speak in, I thought we should speak. Matt wished us to try and come to some form of concensus about what our plans will be now that we have arrived in the fair? city of Golotha. Do we wish to try to pass ourseleves off as workers and try to take the pulse of the city? Ewen could go from place to place playing music and bring Arva with him (perhaps both to learn the trade and to listen to what is being said in the audience). Ardeth could try to mingle with the apothecaries of the city or continue to try to get into the only Shek Pvar we know of in the city. There is also the daughter of the innkeeper to be used. What Bevan and I (Imarae) will do I have no idea, who needs a hunter in the city? Does anybody have any other ideas about what we should do while we are here? We should also discuss if we think anything is behind this mission. Is there nobody who would know the city better that Sir Auram could have used or is there a reason he chose Bevan and Arva. Why was is so important to get Sir Arlen our ot the way (I am reading into things here, as I know that Sir Arlen had had to be domestic, but to give command of a Legion to someone virtually unknown?). Could this mean that Sir Auram is in contact with someone we worked for in the north? Sir Arlen did carry out the tasks given him to the best of his ability. He knows that Sir Arlen is devoted to his monarch. Just an idea, any others. I hope that everybody will get involved with this so we can give Matt some idea what we shall be doing.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:57 pm

Thanks for kicking things off, Dave. And kudos to the forum designer (Cheryl?) for a great-looking venue for our feverish ravings...

According to the session notes from #16, Sir Auram indicated that Sir Tovar would answer questions we had; I wonder if we need to plumb the depths of that particular well before we get too deeply into things. Does the guy perhaps have his own theories of what lies at the heart of Golotha's problems? Can he enlighten us as to why Sir Blors is so evidently disgruntled with Sir Auram's approach to the problem? Perhaps therein lie some clues.

As for our experiences last session, they suggest some avenues for further exploration.

Agrikans: Sir A did specify that they enjoy far too much power in the city, and that this was perhaps one of the hindrances to the king's writ being treated with insufficient gravitas. Upon arrival we find these thugs actually manning at least one of the city gates, directing scurrilous insults at a prospective visitor to the Temple of Halea. Now while ironically these are the very guys reinstated by Arren II's religious freedom act back in the day of his accession, they appear to be interferring with the religious freedoms of other. I would thus opine that we have already discovered one of the king's writs which aren't worth a hill of beans in this city. One must assume, until we find otherwise, that Agrikans enjoy this unseemly power at the pleasure of the city Council, which I recall was abolished after the rebellion of 728 but evidently reinstated itself immediately upon the departure of the king. I would assume that Sir A would be pleased with any action on our part which leads to Agrikan power in the city being compromised.

Clan Lenesque: Here, at least, we have a clear charge from Sir A. Get rid of this guy (is he on the Council, perhaps?). As I suggested last session, it strikes me that a fallback plan could be to concentrate initially on this charge while inevitably learning more about what makes the city tick as we do so.

Lia Kavair: Mogger the Midget is a bigwig of some sort. What is the status of the Lia Kavair in Golotha? I assume that it is an underground (illegal?) organization in other Thardic cities, but perhaps functions more blatantly in Golotha and thus represents another of the royal writs dissed by the populace.

Merchant/Smuggler Guy: Was this guy's financial difficulties related to non-royal fees levied by the city elders? Is there something about the economic activity in the city which is cutting the king out of his fair share? Perhaps cultivating this fellow further might prove educational.

But what, as Dave asks, should we actually do? The notion of using the entertainment angle suits a couple of us in the party, and one possibility would be to achieve some degree of notice in the city as a playing troupe of some sort, with the goal of getting gigs in venues touching on those who wield power in the city. The rich and powerful do like to throw parties, and a number of Ewen's more interesting contacts in Coranan came from playing at private fetes, weddings, funerals, etc. Trying to get noticed and retained may take some time (especially if Ewen keeps making indifferent performance rolls :oops: ), but I don't see that such an approach would preclude carrying out other plans as well.

I wonder whether the Laranians are as stifled as the Haleans in the city. While we are without our redoubtable Laranian knight at this point, I believe the party has other adherents who might attempt to make some useful contacts in the city (Bevan?). If we can contact some oppressed Laranians, we may get an earfull. On the other hand, inveigling ourselves into some involvement with the Lia Kaviar seems a hazardous but possibly informative option, and Mogger does appear to consider himself to be some form of a ladies' man. Any volunteers to become Mogger's latest girlfriend? :shock:
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:55 pm

Ewen wrote:Lia Kavair: Mogger the Midget is a bigwig of some sort. What is the status of the Lia Kavair in Golotha? I assume that it is an underground (illegal?) organization in other Thardic cities, but perhaps functions more blatantly in Golotha and thus represents another of the royal writs dissed by the populace.

Such an organization has seen monarchs come, and monarchs go ...

Ewen wrote:I wonder whether the Laranians are as stifled as the Haleans in the city.

You noted no Laranian temples in your peregrination about the city.

Ewen wrote:On the other hand, inveigling ourselves into some involvement with the Lia Kaviar seems a hazardous but possibly informative option, and Mogger does appear to consider himself to be some form of a ladies' man. Any volunteers to become Mogger's latest girlfriend? :shock:

Perhaps the hiring of an expendable operative ...
Matt
The GM

Postby Matt » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:58 pm

Another thing I might point out - this city was involved in a rebellion against the Crown less than two years ago. Surely somebody in Golotha knows about it, indeed, many must have a view, opinion, and even factoids to add.
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:37 pm

In fact, the mission itself should probably be construed as stemming from the crown's dissatisfaction with the aftermath, two years hence, of the rebellion. We clearly need to understand in greater detail the specific groups and persons at fault for the situation, how the revolt went down, and what has happened since.

To my mind, we need to be clear on what sources of information we need to target centrally in our inquiry. Painting with broad strokes here, are we going to attempt to fraternize with the bad guys as a way of learning what's up, or try to seek out loyal subjects still living within the city while avoiding collusion with Mogger, Agrikans, and other types. When making our inquiries, do we present ourselves as coming to Golotha in order to get away from the inconveniences of Coranan, implying dissatisfaction with royal writ in hopes of gaining info, or to we stick with a more earnest approach? Or do we try to split the difference and act apolitical about such things? I doubt the bad guys are going to divulge much unless we pull off the first approach, although I suppose they may show their hand in unpleasant ways if they identify us as perfect, gullable victims. On the other hand, the more loyal subjects have already shown an understandable circumspection in talking much about the state of things. It occurs to me that the best approach might have been to enter the city in two distinct groups taking two different approaches, but we are probably past the point of being able to convincingly adopt that strategem, having been seen together on numerous occasions (although I think there may be ways of trying to pursue that line in spite of this if we decide to).

I do think we need a cover story of some sort, as just acting like itinerant nosybodies seems likely to be the least fruitful avenue of attack.

In the long-shot category, anyone for the theory that the young foppish fellow spotted with Mogger in Techen is our target Lenesque?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:19 pm

I'll post a version of the Rebellion that would be the sort that Ewen and Ardeth might know. Such an event no doubt would produce a 'broadsheet' version.

I'll put it in the Chronicles section. Perhaps there's a song in it? 8)
Matt
The GM

Postby Matt » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:28 pm

OK, the tale of the rebellion is up in the Chronicles. Though long, I trust it will be interesting.

It should also be noted that Sir Arlen is among those who fought on the side of the King at the Battle of Retu though he was but a squire at the time.
Matt
The GM

Postby Bevan » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:34 pm

Hello all. I echo Van's words, kudos to Dave for the kick off. I wish I could take the credit for the design, but this forum style is fairly standard with only a few details added.

A few things I think we need to tackle:
(1) Lodging - I don't think we will be able to split up with out notice. There are too many who have seen us together not to mention the merchant, who had the deal with Arva, knows our original cover story that we have interest in a ship and we are to meet him here at some point.

(2) What information to ascertain - I think Van is correct. Any information we get on the Agrikans and the Morgathians would be most appreciated by Sir A . This cooporative relationship they have, what is it each group gets from their power? How do we get this information? I would like to locate Sir Tovar to ask a few more questions. This might mean trying to get past the guards to get access to the castle. (I think I'll go without Ewen, nothing personal) Do the 2 groups have disdain for each other and is this something we can use to get information of the other?

We also need to locate Lenesque. We haven't killed anyone yet and I'm sure the group is getting edgy...or was that just dear cousin Arlen's influence? I had thought the same as Van. The fop could be our guy. How do we get this information? If he is the guy than getting information from Mogger may be the route to take. I am not going to volunteer to be his girl. We may be able to pay a girl enough money to get close to him to disclose information.

We do need to get ourselves involved in the town, make some friends, socialize. I think Sir Tovar can point us in a few directions. The fabulous Arva/Ewen duo can certainly get into places. It think Ardeth can travel with them being the brother. He can sit in the crowd and chat it up or simply listen. He can also work on meeting the old wizard. If he can gain his trust he might be able to offer information on the background of Morgathians and the Agrikans and how they have taken over.
Bevan
Squire
Squire

Postby Lord Ewen » Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:40 pm

I concur re the Lodging issue, the plan for Bevan to seek out Sir Tovar sans Ewen, and it sounds like the notion of Arva and Ewen taking the Golothan arts scene by storm is generally approved pending the Kerryn siblings weighing in. Ardeth's arcane connection may also prove fruitful, as I would rather doubt that the Shek Pvar is fully in bed with these guys.

Reviewing the account of the Rebellion of the Earl of Tormau suggests that the Morgathians have long been the power to contend with in Golotha. This is not a new development, the king simply neglected to clean house. As well, the Agrikans appear to have aided the rebellion but conveniently switched sides when things went south.

Our notes from Session 16 indicate that Lenesque has connection to the Earldom of Techen, and yet the fate of the Earl is not specified in the account of the rebellion. It appears that he fought doggedly for the King but fell ill secondary to falling into the pool. He did not lead his troops after this. We need to know what happened to the Earldom, as this may illuminate the Lenesque matter. One notes that Techen was not mentioned in the Aftermath section where other nobles were rewarded for their service. The session notes also suggest that the Earldom of Techen is no more. Does anyone recall more details on this which I might have missed from my post here in NC? (I confess that I originally assumed Lenesque's connection was with Tormau, but the official notes as well as my own brief jottings from that session contradict that.)
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:33 pm

Allow me to clarify the various holders of the Earldom of Techen.

Revi Lenesque was the Earl of Techen in the Kingdom of Rethem. He was the only one of the three original Rethemi earls not to survive the change of dynasty in 720. A follower of Arren of Melderyn, one Osric Jothysan, laid siege to Techen castle after the coup in Golotha in 720, and took the castle by treachery some months later. He had Revi Lenesque taken to the town square and beheaded before the populace. When the locals at the inn were referring to the 'old' earl as a sadist, it was Lenesque they meant.

In gratitude for this deed, Arren of Melderyn granted to Earldom of Techen to Jothysan. It was this earl who fell into the Golotha pool, and also happens to be the same peer the party saw at the Temple of Larani in Coranan. You may also recall he had married Arren II's older half-sister who died around 728 in childbirth. (He's on the family tree I circulated some time back.)

Sorry for the confusion.
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:28 pm

Well that does help quite a bit. So our present-day Lenesque's claim is based on a counterfactual ("what would have happened if the first King Arren hadn't beheaded Earl Revi?"), and is unlikely to amount to squat save in the unlikely event of the overthrow of the House of Parkhurst, or a successful rebellion in which Techen somehow becomes independent of the Kingdom of Tharda. Which begs the question of what our young Lenesque was up to two years ago during the Tormauri rebellion; he isn't mentioned in the details of the revolt as we know it. Perhaps he only came of age recently? Is he his own man, or the pawn of some other group or faction? All of which seems prime information to quiz Sir Tovar about, when Bevan figures out how to get an interview...
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:06 pm

I think the best way to question Sir Tovar is by post. If we go upriver and either send a note to the keep or wait until a royal conveyance stops and ask for a note to go to Sir Tovar. I would not recomend trying to go there in person, whoever it is would be subject to Agrikan questioning and we do not want to bring ourselves to their attention too quickly (if at all). I think the performance troop is a good idea (as I said before). I do not think separating the party would have been a good idea. Remember we would have had to get together to trade invormation and Matt would have kept that in mind if there were going to be a response to our presence or questions. I think Mugger would be at least an introduction to the Lia Kvir, but I do not see any of the party females going in for close questioning. If Tullus is not a con man, he does not have great connections not to be able to get two shillings together to get something out of bond. I was thinking that Bevan and Imare could check the outdoor settings to see if there is anything going on there. Although Imare has a great voice, she is nearly deaf as a post and I don't know if she could carry a tune in a bucket.
That no one remembers a nephew of the local big wig is odd. If he is a nephew of the last Earl before Arren took over I would think that he would be known. We need to find out siblings of this last earl and try to find out if they have children and if so what happened to them. It could be that he was put into one of the three power groups of the city, Morgathians, Agrikans or Lia Kvir to strenthen the position of the earl with these groups. We should do everything in our power to remain as inconspicuous as possible to the power structure, I don't want to have to swim away from the city personally. We also need to consider that our answers may lie below wharf level (insert theme song to CHUD or Jaws here). I am sure that the troops involved could have taken any known target so we are looking for one that nobody in the upstairs world knows about.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:47 pm

Ewen wrote:So our present-day Lenesque's claim is based on a counterfactual ("what would have happened if the first King Arren hadn't beheaded Earl Revi?"), and is unlikely to amount to squat save in the unlikely event of the overthrow of the House of Parkhurst, or a successful rebellion in which Techen somehow becomes independent of the Kingdom of Tharda.

That is exactly correct.

Ewen wrote:Which begs the question of what our young Lenesque was up to two years ago during the Tormauri rebellion; he isn't mentioned in the details of the revolt as we know it. Perhaps he only came of age recently? Is he his own man, or the pawn of some other group or faction?

Therein the question is indeed begged.
Matt
The GM

Postby Ardeth » Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:10 pm

It is defiantly a good plan to have Ewen and Arva go play the club scene around Golgotha. It will give us a feel for the city at the very least. We might also meet some useful people, and pick up some good information.

We do have a difficult time ahead of us, however. There are three groups that control the city: The Lia Kavar, the Morgathians, and the Agrikians. We have next to no hope once so ever of infiltrating either of the later, we haven't even figured out much about those two groups yet.

So, our best bet is the Thieves Guild. I think we need to keep our eyes and ears on the smarmy midget...

Unless, anyone wants to see what horrors lurk in the depths of the necropolis, that could always be fun :twisted:
Ardeth
Captain
Captain

Postby Ardeth » Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:12 pm

BTW I checked back in the Session Notes, and the Lenisque at Gelemo is not the Lenisque we are looking for.
Ardeth
Captain
Captain

Postby Matt » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:13 pm

Ardeth wrote:Unless, anyone wants to see what horrors lurk in the depths of the necropolis, that could always be fun :twisted:

Heh. As the gibbering, sheeted dead arise to drag the intrepid explorers down into the crypt, Arva is heard to mutter, "whose bloody idea was this anyway?" :twisted:
Matt
The GM

Postby Bevan » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:06 pm

Imare wrote:
I think the best way to question Sir Tovar is by post. If we go upriver and either send a note to the keep or wait until a royal conveyance stops and ask for a note to go to Sir Tovar. I would not recomend trying to go there in person, whoever it is would be subject to Agrikan questioning and we do not want to bring ourselves to their attention too quickly (if at all).

Ewen was denied entry because of where he said he was going. Haleans are not exactly respected in by the Agrikans.... I'm working on some reasonable explanations on why we need to go past the gates without mentioning the castle. I'm open to suggestions. Maybe the bar maid knows something..Ardeth?

It does make me wonder if Agrikans are also guarding the gate that leads to the castle. If so, the crown has a lot less control than Sir A thought. There is a second course of action I noticed while looking at the map. There is a dock next to the castle that is presumably guarded by the legionnaires? If so, there shouldn't be an issue stating I have business with Sir Tovar.

Please let me know if there is anything anyone in the party would like me to ask Sir Tovar. So far I have:

(1)From Ewen's post:
Which begs the question of what our young Lenesque was up to two years ago during the Tormauri rebellion; he isn't mentioned in the details of the revolt as we know it. Perhaps he only came of age recently? Is he his own man, or the pawn of some other group or faction? All of which seems prime information to quiz Sir Tovar about, when Bevan figures out how to get an interview...

(2) more information on the Morgathians and the Agrikans.

(3)Any introductions he may be able to make on behalf of the dynamic singing duo (not sure if he has that kind of influence).

(4) I am curious about the small piece of land named Apiseda Island?

(5) Who is on the Heptarchial Council? So far we know Haleans, Agrikans and Morgathians hold a seat. Who exactly are they and who else has a seat, etc.

Please let me know your thoughts and any other suggestions.

RE: Tellus
What do all of you think about finding information on the bossman Jarop?
There is still 2 days before meeting him
I agree with Ardeth that the thieves guild is something to keep an eye on for more immediate infomation. So. Book boy :wink: What are your ideas on getting on the inside?
Bevan
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:12 pm

I might add to Bevan's queries: how many seats are there on the Heptarchial council and who holds them? is it one vote per group or one per seat? Do they vote?

Lots of questions about that. 8)
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:30 pm

I just wanted to comment on direct contact with Sir Tovar. It seems to me that if we were to either make or try to make direct contact it would be observed. The locals do not like the Imperial presence in their midst. If I were them I would be keeping a close watch on them. They know that the King will probably do something eventually and will be watching the actions of the troops in the castle and who comes and goes, both from the gate and from the dock. Bevan might find a very plausible way to enter the island just off the castle, but I think any attempt to contact the castle itself will be watched (who mans the towers on the other side of the, for want of a better term, moat for instance). The same would be true of the dock attached to the castle it they would even permit some unknown person to just row up to the dock. This is an outpost in hostile territory, both sides are going to be jumpy here. Once we are identified as those wanting contact with the central government I think our covers will be pretty much blown because no matter if only one makes the attempt, we are all in one group and will be tied together. I think that this is one of the reasons that Sir Auram offered a post to Sir Arlen, he is a knight of Tharda and is damn proud of it. If he came into the city chances are that this would become evident and thereby blow our cover again. I think any contact should be covert and outside of the city where maybe people are not watching.
I believe that Mogger was wearing a Decajus medallion, which would put him, at least, as a follower of Naveh. I don't think either he or his big friend are totally as they appear so we would be careful. If the stories are true about Mogger being connected with the thieves guild are correct this could mean cooperation between the two at some level (at least in his case). With the rumors about Lord Morgan (an important follower of Naveh by reputation) I would think that it could bring the church of Naveh in on the royal side. Arren I conquered this city and since he is an adherent I would presume he was big in the worship scene here. While I do not believe that if Arren II name came up on the list Morgan would have a problem, the dynasty and kingdom that he created are something entirely different. As with the royal government, I think that the church heirarchy knows that he is still around and be swayed by what he wants. I do not know what this would mean to the Lia Kvir as the connection is rather tenuous but I wanted to put it out there.
I had suggested earlier that Imare and Bevan could check out the environs of the city. This would include the necropolis referred to by Ardeth. Other than the Golotha Duo/Trio idea, just the usual bar hopping comes to mind.
Comments??
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:09 pm

Imarë wrote:I believe that Mogger was wearing a Decajus medallion, which would put him, at least, as a follower of Naveh.

No, the fop wore the medal.
Matt
The GM

Postby Matt » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:15 pm

Imarë wrote:With the rumors about Lord Morgan (an important follower of Naveh by reputation) I would think that it could bring the church of Naveh in on the royal side. Arren I conquered this city and since he is an adherent I would presume he was big in the worship scene here.

Well, no one has actually mentioned the Navites yet beyond the fop's medal, and I might point out they do have a reputation for ignoring politics.

Imarë wrote:While I do not believe that if Arren II name came up on the list Morgan would have a problem, the dynasty and kingdom that he created are something entirely different.

Could you clarify what you mean here?

Imarë wrote:As with the royal government, I think that the church heirarchy knows that he is still around and be swayed by what he wants. I do not know what this would mean to the Lia Kvir as the connection is rather tenuous but I wanted to put it out there.

Well, the only evidence you have for anyone knowing about Morgan is your own conjecture and King Darebor's machinations. A thin reed indeed to posit anything in Golotha.
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:23 pm

I incline toward Dave's point of view regarding direct appraoch to the castle; his legendary paranoia may serve us well here :wink:

If we contemplate hiring an intermediary to seduce a midget, should we not at least entertain the possibility of sending a message to Sir Tovar through some middle man who would not implicate our group? Do the Legionnaires ever leave the castle, and if so what locales do they frequent (taverns, weaponcrafters, etc)? A message to Sir Tovar might simply ask him to arrange some reliable means of contacting him during our time in the city. Would the VIII Legion not have some dependable agents / spies in the city who might facilitate this?

If we fail in our attempts to establish contact and become sufficiently desperate, then by all means a bolder appraoch may be called for. But it seems that, while one can always eschew the undercover approach and risk blowing our cover, it is much more problematic to undo an association between ourselves and the castle should that be, as Dave suggests, perceived. Seems like playing the "I have business in the castle" card is premature, and would certainly sour any attempt to cozy up to the Lia Kavair, which has been discussed.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:06 pm

Clarification:
I was implying that while Morgan, as a devout Navite, would sanction the killing of a person (aka his son), he would not be a party to the killing of his dynasty. I believe that he probably still has followers in positions of power all around the kingdom and with the reputation Golotha has I am sure they are here also. I don't believe these followers would sanction an attack on the royal government because they do not need to, they have access to power. The Lia Kavair would have cause to want confusion to reign but if my tenuous hypothosis holds water they would be held in check somewhat by the church.
Ewen: Thank-you (I think) for the vote of support. In this case I am just going on what I think our mission is. If I were one of the people who wanted the royal presence gone or contained so I could continue what I am doing a watch on the castle would be one of the first things I did. The second step would be to watch new people in the city. If I were them I would anticipate some kind of attack so this would seem a sensible precaution (especially if you are de facto and de jure in charge of the city). I am not against trying to contact Sir Tovar but I want to keep the mission as secret as possible which is why I suggested trying something from outside the city.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Return to Plots Have I Laid ...