Execution By Proxy

Discussions regarding plotlines, paranoid musings, and other related ruminations

Moderator: Imarë

Execution By Proxy

Postby Imarë » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:38 pm

Now that we have (finally) seen the end of Sir Peten we have now to determine what should be done. I believe we have decided to volunteer to spy on Kaldor for Lord Graver (hopefully giving us more chance to show our outdoor skills in the process). Bevan must now make the decision whether to divest herself of her holdings in Golotha. Sir Ewen must determine what to do with his man Arnys and the acrobatic Else (or maybe Sir Baris does...). Imare, thanks to prodings from above, only has herself to worry about (though the best way to Kaldor does lie along the route where she left a local tough bound on a bed seething about revenge). We as a party need to determine how we are entering Kaldor. Do we go as a party with a pair of Thardic knights and the daughter of a government official that every other person in the world knows or do they hide who and what they are? Could Sir Baris take refuge in his origins (from Melderyn)? Sir Ewen would have to determine what to do with his very rare and expensive horse if he goes in incognito. What should Sir Baris do with his armor, not exactly something everybody has and the something of that quality the workmanship might be traceable.

One thought I had for Bevan might be to see if her father might wish to have a residence in Golotha (as Sir Jamis does). This would keep it in the family but maybe recoup some of her money to liquidity. The associated houses can probably be disposed of without a problem. I suppose that part of the situation would be determined in the way that we want to go into Kaldor. If we go in and need to establish ourselves into society (arrange a house etc) money will become more important. Anybody else have any ideas?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Imarë » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:49 am

I had some thoughts about the Agrikans proposal for a fighting order. Imare thinks the idea has a lot of merit. Currently the King is considering starting another fighting order of Larani. Being Laranian himself he probably thinks this is a good idea. But why is he making the consideration? It is because he does not feel he can depend on the Order of the Checkered Shield, and parts that we have met are not the most loyal to the secular government. Would this change with a different set of Laranians? Maybe but I would think the same underlying problems have to do with their philosophy of life. Because of this uncertainty about the Checkered Shield he has to leave a lot of people behind besides the minimum garrisons (the remaining legions). If there were an Agrikan order, it would alleviate some of these problems by providing a counterbalance to the Laranians. There is no chance that both orders will combine to attack the government, they are too opposite. If one were to go into rebellion, the other would be there to fight it, possibly a smaller royal force, but with the aid of the other fighting order who would be more than happy to slam on the other. The King, therefore, gets a larger force to protect the homefront without having to expend more money (and perhapes take more of his forces with him to the wars). The Agrikans get official recognition, which since they are legal anyway, why not? The Laranians get taken down a peg by not being the only offical fighting order and have a counterbalance to them for when the King is absent (or even home). I really think this could be a win-win situation for the King.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:27 pm

Of course, others may have different notions in mind when considering a trek to Kaldor. But I thought I would offer a few thoughts of my own, pursuant to my suggesting at the close of last session that a move in the direction of Kaldor would perhaps be more agreeable than Sir Baris' initial suggestion of going to Orbaal.

I think the trajectory of Arrenic conquest is clearly leading toward Kaldor, and thus I propose that the greatest opportunity for the ambitious lies there. Orbaal is, to my mind, too late. Having said that, though, I would point out the enormous geographic size of the north, in the interest of speculating about a reasonable time frame here. Arren I took five years to conquer the west, and his son has spent another five years in consolidation of the new kingdom and preparation for an invasion of Orbaal. I should think a couple of more campaign seasons (minimum) will be necessary for Arren II to complete a meaningful assimilation of the north (assuming, as I guess we all do, that he will succeed in this venture). When, then, should we expect open hostilities with Kaldor to commence?

Unless I am missing a critical factor here, I should think that day is reasonably a few years off even if Arren II slam-dunks Orbaal next year, simply on the logic of the need to avoid disastrous military over-extension. Unless Kaldor pre-emptively goes after Arren as the conquest of Orbaal sweeps eastward, say. Or, unless Melderyn joins forces with Arren to crush Kaldor from both ends. Neither of these eventualities seems likely to me, for different reasons, but I mention them for argument's sake.

My point, however, is that I think we should be thinking on a fairly extended time-scale visa vis Kaldor, when considering things like what we might do when we get there, and whether we should retain divers Golotha holdings, etc. In other words, Sir Ewen is proposing a semi-permanent relocation eastward, in the interest of taking an active hand in events as they develop over a scale of years to come in Kaldor. Not that periodic returns home to Tharda might not be necessary or desireable throughout that time (opportunities for outdoor adventuring!), but Ewen feels that Tharda is not where the opportunities will be.

And while I'm certainly happy to accomodate Lord Graver in any little jobs he may have for Bevan & Co. while we're there, and I'm sure Graver will want to take full advantage of our intended relocation, this is not exactly Ewen's foremost motivation in wanting to go to Kaldor :wink:
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:00 am

Imare certainly agrees that the visit to Kaldor will be a long one (multiple years maybe). She, however, does not wish to wait until near the expected invasion to beat a hasty retreat however. I think things will get very hot when Arren II intentions on the kingdom become clear and where there was welcome before will become something else. If Lord Graver runs his normal pattern, he will give broad instructions as to what he wishes done (i.e. go and scout Orbaal). Once this is in hand, we can make all the needed decisions about where to go and who to bring. Arnys can be an asset, but he will be at a disadvantage in a new city in a new country. Else would, in my estimation, be better with us and out of the life she is currently living (voluntary as it may be), but that is a personal feeling. If we are going as a group openly to live for a period of time, a retenue is not out of place, perhaps even more servants (if we are doing things contrary to the good of Kaldor, letting citizens of this place into our midst might not be the best idea). If the house is to be sold outside of the circle of the party (my suggestion of Sir Theron), we might see if any of those would be willing to come along to a new establishment. If this is to be a semi permanent relocation, we might wish to pack heavy (as it were). By this I mean not just our usual things on our backs. While I know there is not Global Van Lines on Harn, perhaps a couple of wagons full of items would help establish that we are meaning to stay awhile (and I don't think attracting attention in this regard would be bad).
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:12 pm

I don't see Sir Ewen leaving Arnys behind - he settled into Golotha fast enough. On that matter - perhaps he should move into Palliser House now that his task is done and winter will prevent much in the way of loitering anyway.

Oh, and an FYI - Bevan does not seem inclined to sell any property. The house can be leased for a tidy sum, and the income periodically collected/forwarded.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:24 pm

I was not suggesting that Arnys be left behind, just explore whether or not the beggar role is the best one for him.

I am glad that Bevan has made a choice about the property, it was not my place to influence. She should be sure to get first, last and security however. References a must.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:41 pm

Imarë wrote:I was not suggesting that Arnys be left behind, just explore whether or not the beggar role is the best one for him.

Actually, I'm not sure it is, but it will have to depend on your objectives.
Matt
The GM

Postby Bevan » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:55 pm

The GM is correct. I have been thinking about the property and looking at the income I receive from them and would like to keep receiving. It is about time Bevan started supporting her kid financially, not that daddy is hard up. I also want to thank the elf for her judicious knowledge in matters of property and appreciate the advice :D

Arnys does appear to be very capable in his profession (if you will) and don't see how this would change in another city/country. Of course like Matt says his scopeof work will depend on the mission.
Bevan
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:26 pm

There is also the matter of the Selata shares. Dave - did you wish to add that to the mix?
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:35 pm

Regarding Arnys, I think we are basically of one mind here. Should our activities call for an agent operating in a city or small town setting at the very lowest social level, Arnys has already proven himself adept at gathering information and keeping alive in two of the most nasty communities we have yet encountered, Golotha and (perversely) Selvos. I think he's fit for any future call of duty in such a venue. On the other hand, though, I am convinced that his depths have yet to be plumbed; if nothing else, he is possessed of a cleverness and strength of character which would be underutilized if we employ him simply as a beggar/agent. And I strongly suspect he can handle himself admirably if things get nasty, in spite of his handicap.

To which end, I suggest that Ewen pull him into Palliser House (if the lady permits) for the remainder of the winter and take steps to equip him properly for accompanying us east. I wonder, for instance, whether size-wise he might find Ewen's old set of leather armor workable, and Ewen can work with him as well on best equipping him in terms of weaponry (given the obvious limitations of his missing bow-fingers), and gaining some rudimentary riding skill prior to our departure. Perhaps he might be able to take on the office of squire to Ewen, with a little work, or at least travel under such an identity.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:47 pm

After re-reading the early notes, Imares thought is that we will not be the first to start to take down Kaldor from the inside. From my understanding of the notes (and what I remember from the sessions), it starts with Ardeth. He was attacked in Trobridge by Rhonna. She later was met in Tashal with Escalus, who wished Sir Arlen to help blackmail a minor chancery clerk. From our meetings later in the north with Sir Morgan, it looks like Rhonna works for him, which would mean that Escalus works for him and is therefore interested in corrupting (at least at this point) junior staff. My guess here would be that Lord Morgan was active in Orbaal long before we met him there and the actions that followed. It makes a lot of sense, Lord Morgan visited Golotha years before he took action there also. There is, in my mind, a good chance that we will run into either the man himself or his followers beginning early preparation for action. I don't know what we will be asked to do in Kaldor, but is should be interesting. Sir Arlen, while a valient knight, was a little on the fussy side when it comes to niceties, not the best atribute for the actions we are beginning here. Sir Baris does not seem to follow the exacting Laranian program which dominated Sir Arlen. I think we all know what Sir Ewen is capable of, and this is not a slight. A lot still depends on what we are going to be doing as to exactly where we go. If this were less medieval, a country retreat where we could entertain and co-opt people would be great. I don't know what the policy is for clerks etc as to leaving the cities on vacation (kind of like our stay at the counry home of Lord Graver). If we are going to be doing more direct action, a country home would certainly be preferable (perhaps along with a visit to the Fens). Perhaps a couple of real (or staged?) gargun raids...
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:47 pm

I suspect your conclusions about the activities earlier this year in Kaldor are spot on, although they rather beg the question: to what degree do Lord Graver's operations and Lord Morgan's operations intersect? In other words, to what degree will Lord Graver's druthers regarding our activities in Kaldor be informed by some knowledge of, or ignorance of, what Lord Morgan's been up to there? Graver seemed to be behind the curve in regard to Orbaal, ostensibly sending you guys up there to scout out what was going on. Was this a ploy, or a meaningful indicator of how far in the dark he was? (I suspect the answer lies somewhere in the middle...)

While it will surely prove instructive to examine the specific instructions Lord G opts to give Bevan when he learns that we are inclined eastward, I suspect Lord Morgan's people may have the whole corruption-of-royal-officials angle well in hand and may not welcome latecomer interference. And why would we wish to duplicate this effort, when we might more fruitfully freelance in other arenas of activity? 8)
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:33 am

I think that Lord Graver and Lord Morgan have the same finish line, the expansion of Tharda to include all of Harn. Lord Graver must know about Lord Morgan and who he is, he has read Bevan regularly and unless there is some way that knowlege can be covered up, he knows everything (and does not seem surprised). In reference to Orbaal, he probably knew somthing was going on but was not sure what it was. If it were not for the way in which the party insinuated itself with Lord Morgan, I doubt that we would have learned anything of note. I believe it would be very dangerous to push that much again. Whatever Lord Morgan and Escalus (et. al.) have in store for Kaldor, I am sure the plans are already in place. If we do something which might upset the situation I believe there will be sufficent warning to desist. Now that Sir Arlen is gone from the party perhaps Escalus will make another overature. For the party I think this would be the best option, that way we would know what did or did not please this patron. As for having the whole corruption angle in hand, you can never have too many corrupt official in your pocket if you plan to destroy a government. Perhaps a foray into the knightly class would be in order (jousting and/or hunting parties anyone). Perhaps moving into the guilded class (as I believe happened in Golotha before the fall. Arren I seemed to insinuate himself in all strata of society to ease his road. I am sure that Arren II and Lord Morgan have taken notes on this (especially Lord Morgan).
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Imarë » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:26 pm

It would be interesting to theorize here about the reverse of the relationship. How much does Lord Morgan know about what Lord Graver is doing? Was the intercession of Escalus' an attempt to divert Bevans mission north until after the period when they might stumble upon the events we witnessed? If he has a conduit into the chamber of Lord Graver, Morgan would know what mission was being planned. If this was not the case, why did Escalus try to get Sir Arlen involved? There are other Thardans living in Kaldor (Sir Ilken for one), and perhaps a flashy young knight would not be the best choice of helper in something of this nature (especially one untested). If it was an attempt to delay the mission, somebody did not fill Escalus in very well because he did not even try to convince Sir Arlen to change his mind, nor did he (at least to our observation) put roadblocks in our way (unless one goes under the thought that he had Sir Arlens name put before the spider Earl...). Bevan seems to know many of the Morganettes, would she have gone north if one of them had appeared and suggested it was a bad idea?

My thought is that each party knows, to a degree what the other is doing but not specifics (plausable deniability). Both Lord Morgan and Lord Graver desire an expanded, unified Tharda under a king who is descended from Arren I. I think Lord Graver is circumspect enough to not see through the veils that have been weaved.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:02 pm

Imarë wrote:the Morganettes

Heh. A new, more PC term, makes its debut. 8)
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:05 am

Another new thought hit me. Why was Lord Graver so concerned about Sir Peten? We have seen no evidence that he was doing anything except minor frauds and hiding from everybody. I can see the wisdom in killing our friend the Serolon (other than a petty personal dislike which I freely admit), he had flouted the law and will of the Kings government and showed absolutely no regret at doing so. It punished the transgression itself and became an object lesson. The other Serolon can also be seen as a potential threat until she declaired herself openly in support of the new regime (being associated with the prior royal family). Would vengence at backing the other horse, as it were, be enough to earn Lord Gravers emnity? If so, why had a more concerted effort not been made before? I am just puzzled and wonder if anybody else is.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Imarë » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:37 pm

GM "There is also the matter of the Selata shares. Dave - did you wish to add that to the mix?"

Imare is looking to divest her holdings in the Selata. Not elven enough. She is currently looking into this 8)
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:43 pm

Great. A born-again elf. :roll:
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Bevan » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:33 pm

Imarë wrote:GM "There is also the matter of the Selata shares. Dave - did you wish to add that to the mix?"

Imare is looking to divest her holdings in the Selata. Not elven enough. She is currently looking into this 8)

Well Bevan would be happy to accomodate your wishes. She will remit to you 6,438d.
Bevan
Squire
Squire

Postby Imarë » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:29 pm

The offer is accepted at once. Expect to see some new baubles come the next session! :D
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Return to Plots Have I Laid ...