Random Thoughts on the Adventure Concluded:

Discussions regarding plotlines, paranoid musings, and other related ruminations

Moderator: Imarë

Did You Enjoy This Adventure:

5 (very well)
100%
4 (somewhat well)
No votes
3 (average)
No votes
2 (I've had better)
No votes
1 (Worst since the "Temple of Evil" finally came out)
No votes

Total votes : 2

Random Thoughts on the Adventure Concluded:

Postby Imarë » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:10 pm

Just thinking about the "Red Headed Man" hunt and had some lingering thoughts.

First, why was Sir Felkar meeting with Sir Peten and (as it turns out) Koltho in Coranan? Was Sir Peten helping Sir Felkar with his plot to take over the Barony? Could Sir Peten have been involved in the death of the other cousin (old deryni mind trick or wheatever)?

Second, how does Stavron fit into this mess? We know he was in Coranan between when Sir Ewen say Sir Peten and the murder of Palissa. Who else would have known about the look of the tower with the mascles. Is he still there? I think we now believe that he is not a follower of Sir Peten (as he did not seem to have any money to afford followers), but who is he following?

Last (currently): Why was the Baron waylaid and eventually killed? How is Rahel involved? Why leave the man naked in the middle of the square? This sounds personal.

Anybody else have any thoughts?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:38 pm

Do I get to vote? :roll:
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:57 pm

Of course you get to vote.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:40 pm

Imarë wrote:Of course you get to vote.

Just kidding - it wouldn't be appropriate. :wink:
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:06 pm

Just had a couple of thoughts after re-reading Ewen's tale. Two pieces I found fascinating. The first was an offhand comment by the then Sir Auram (page 8 ) refering to the fate of Pelisa, "murder remains unsolved, although we do have a suspect." He never mentioned a name for this suspect, it could be different and lead away from Ewen seeing Koltho (I presume) in Coranan. Maybe we should inquire about the name of this suspect when Bevan reports her mission accomplished. At worst it could be Sir Peten but maybe we could gain some vengeance for the Soursi family.

The second bit which I found interesting was in the note that Sir Felkar carried when he met his demise. The relevant portion to me was near the end when he says "you shall have £11 and the friendship and voice of a baron at court as you seek your due." This really sounds like Sir Felkar's co-conspirator was the elusive Sir Peten. Do we really think anybody else would help in the murder of a noble for only this amount of money? Why would anybody else (who is not attainted) need to have a voice in court while they seek their due?

These were just random thoughts I got when I re-read the tale. Thoughts?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:19 pm

Starting with your second point, I tend to agree. In fact, given Ewen's sighting of Sir Felkar and Sir Peten actually meeting in Coranan in Nuzyael, it would seem strained to draw any other conclusion at this point. The letter seems to be the setting into motion of the plan that Felkar, presumably, pitched to Sir Peten at that time. Absent any new evidence contradicting what we know, I should consider this part of the mystery closed.

The complication, evidently, developed back when Ewen at a distance mistook, presumably, Koltho for his brother Stavron. This led Ewen to connect the dots incorrectly when we arrived in Golotha and he saw Sir Felkar; Ewen murdered Sir Felkar as a provocation on the assumption that Stavron, being Felkar's acquaintance at least, might be in the city and respond to the murder. As best as I can tell those assumptions were plain wrong, and the killing led to a very different string of results than what was intended. At this point, I see no evidence that Stavron was ever in Golotha (although we can't absolutely rule it out either). The theory that Stavron was a colleague of Peten's seems pretty flimsy given what we know now.

Does this dovetail with other's analysis of things, or am I missing anything critical here?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:54 pm

Sir Ewen wrote:As best as I can tell those assumptions were plain wrong, and the killing led to a very different string of results than what was intended.

Isn't it amazing how things get out of hand? 8)
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:57 am

I base that Stavron may have had some connection to Sir Peten based on looks. I cannot get over the fact that Stavron and Koltho were, with the exception of eye color, twins. Add this to the fact that Sir Ewen has a doppleganger in Golotha also seems significant to Imare. Borana and her daughter's dissapearance make me think that they have been put out of the way for some reason very soon after Sir Ewen found out she existed and started asking questions. One replicant would be a curiosity, two from one small and fairly obscure family (sorry Sir Ewen) strains Imare's credulity.

I agree that there is no evidence of Stavron being in Golotha unless he was the one who did the other mascles (other than Sir Felkar and the Baron), but he was in Coranan (Pelisa) and that is where Sir Peten and Sir Felkar met. We also don't know that the individual was Koltho and not Stavron, Sir Ewen could not tell. Until we can be sure there is no connection, I will go under the supposition that there is some connection and look for ways to prove or disprove it.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:27 pm

Imarë wrote:One replicant would be a curiosity, two from one small and fairly obscure family (sorry Sir Ewen) strains Imare's credulity.

I object only to the term "replicant" being associated with putative family members :shock:
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:22 am

Please forgive me Sir Ewen, I was running out of synonyms. There are only so many ways you can say look alikes.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:44 am

I'm not sure why there should an objection to the term "replicant" - most of them were stunning specimens ... :wink:
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:45 am

Very true. I always thought doppleganger had a worse reputation myself.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Imarë » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:22 am

Just thinking about the implications of Koltho perhaps being related to Sir Ewen. If what we have learned is true, Sir Ewen is either related to Sir Peten or Derine. Since I believe Sir Peten was from Melderyn and came with Prince Arren on his early visits, this would tend toward Derine. Also using supposition, this could indicate some tie between Derine and Borana. How this would tie in with the Soursi family I have no idea, but there must have been somebody who struck out on their own (or somebody was abusing their wedding vows). I don't think this moves us any closer to Stavron, but who knows.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:20 pm

I may have missed this detail in the whirlwind windup of last session, or have forgotten it since, but our first chance at anything like a close examination of Sir Peten's hair color came upon presentation of his severed head by Sir Klyrdes B. Did he appear to be an aged red-head?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:02 pm

His hair was largely gray, but could have been a reddish-brown in his prime.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:53 am

Sir Ewen, if it was Sir Peten roving about your family tree, it would make sense that there would be a number of deryni in the mix, which you have not mentioned. I re-read the handout about Sir Peten and, while it said where he came from, I did not recognize any of the names (kingdom never mentioned). I took the inference it was Melderyn because it said he was an early follower of Prince Arren. The alternative might not seem the best history for an up and coming knight, but I would rather that than have someone who killed his family and commited treason there. Not being Sir Peten would also allow Koltho and Borana's daughter not to be brother and sister, they could have different fathers. Can we determine if we think Derine and Borana look anything alike? Did Koltho resemble his father or his mother? Where is Quincy when you need him, he could do DNA testing by now.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:38 am

Imarë wrote:Can we determine if we think Derine and Borana look anything alike?

They do not.

Imarë wrote:Did Koltho resemble his father or his mother?

Hard to say. He seemed to be something of a mix with features of both of them.

Imarë wrote:Where is Quincy when you need him, he could do DNA testing by now.

Recovering from throat cancer, last I heard.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:31 pm

Damn, in his mid-eighties and still around ... He would probably be more concerned about stopping slavery in Golotha than doing our tests anyway.

As I see it, there are several things which we have left undone. Some of them we can work on quickly.

1) Search for Baya. Chances may be slim, but she has always been a faithful companion and leaving her goes against Imare's grain.

2) Sword of prior Earl of Techen. Mythical and maybe magical, perhaps the new Biradian Steed.

3) What ever became of Slakka (and by inference Borana and daughter)

4) Paying Sir Ewen's respects to his brother Stavron. Hopefully his brother has not been knighted by anyone otherwise killing knights might become a habit (2 so far) :twisted:

5) What exactly is it with Golotha and Sourci's? One maybe, two is wierd

6) Who knifed Slakka so expertly as to give a slow and painful suffering death. Was this the same figure as the attacker of Sir Zaurial? Whatever became of the trophies of Imare's paramour Mogger?

7) Is there some kind of connection between Derine and Else's former madam from down under. Else knew very little of anything overhead yet had heard of Derine.

8 ) Must go to report to Lord Graver. Do we have the prop for the Hamlet scene or will he have to live through memories? Could Lady Bevan and her father take yet another meeting so soon?

9) Anyone else have any ends not quite tied up?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:37 pm

Is the plan to rapid-play through the remainder of winter this coming session, and then begin the following session on Nuzyael 1 731 by departing for Kaldor? If so, then a number of the items on your excellent list are likely to remain loose ends by virtue of taking too long to bring to conclusion. There's no telling how much time we could expend looking for the Sword of Lenesque, for instance, although Sir Ewen would certainly love to try to track it down, being partial to swords himself.

Which isn't to say we can't generate a few areas to look into during the span covered by this session, in hopes of perhaps closing the books on a few of the above items. And the visit to Lord Graver is, I suppose, mandatory. 8)
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:17 pm

Imarë wrote:...but I would rather that than have someone who killed his family ...

But Ewen already has a family member guilty of that very crime: his brother Stavron. Which suggests to me a curious line of association. Stavron and Koltho closely resemble each other, and Koltho Valgari resembled Sir Peten Valgari, and Stavron and Sir Peten both killed innocent family members in what might be called a moment of insane rage. This seems too odd to dismiss, and suggests some close tie between these three redheads.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:37 pm

Sir Ewen wrote:Is the plan to rapid-play through the remainder of winter this coming session, and then begin the following session on Nuzyael 1 731 by departing for Kaldor?

Yes, but more likely Peonu. I'll spill the beans a say that Lord Graver will suggest traveling with the Salt Route Caravan. This will also likely be managed quickly as the danger of traveling with such a large group is small.

Sir Ewen wrote:And the visit to Lord Graver is, I suppose, mandatory.

Yes, first order of business.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:39 am

Plus, if we are bringing "trophies" it will keep the smell down to go quickly.

Looking at the Sir Peten information and the map included in Harn Player information, he is from Melderyn (near Karveth). I think this points to any connection being on the female side.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:00 am

Perhaps we should consider salting the head :wink:

OK, the Peonu departure time is informative, as it may give us the wiggle room to tackle some of the items on Dave's list. As I suspect we'll wile away many a session in Kaldor, we should keep in mind that neglecting any given item now might mean consigning it to an indeterminate oblivion. So, any personal preferences on priorities?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:50 am

Sir Ewen wrote:Perhaps we should consider salting the head :wink:

Well, you won't have it long ...

Sir Ewen wrote:OK, the Peonu departure time is informative, as it may give us the wiggle room to tackle some of the items on Dave's list.

I'll just weigh in on one of them which is Baya. Like it or not, months have gone by, it's now winter, and come spring it will be nearly half a year. Baya is gone, there is no Baya ...
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:12 am

An interesting thought. From melding of Ablerons tale and information from Harn Player I have an idea. The Soursi family seems to have been, in the past, much more prominent than it is now. It is located in what was Kanday, with the capital of Aleath. Could one of the Sourci ancestors have been in the Aleathian Odyssey? This would mean that they ended up in eastern Harn, the mainland part of Melderyn in fact. Someone who was socially prominent could have married into the local aristocracy, the Valgari family for instance. They have progeny who eventually descends down to one Sir Peten, who goes back west and has children. This would allow for the looks of Stavron and Ableron to come through yet still have allow for deryni powers. This would also account for Sir Koltho looking like Sir Peten also. Any thoughts?

On the pooch front, does Ogle know any local pet stores?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Next

Return to Plots Have I Laid ...