Golothan Recap

Discussions regarding plotlines, paranoid musings, and other related ruminations

Moderator: Imarë

Golothan Recap

Postby Imarë » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:47 pm

Bevan and Imare had a long discussion about the happenings in Golotha before we left. Imare, at least, came to some points which she wanted to open to discussion. First, who did in the Baron of Quste? We are sure that Rahel had her men ambush and capture him (while slaughtering his retinue). Many days later his nude (and decorated) body is found after a day ripening in the Golothan pillories. Who is it we suspect Rahel is a follower of (hint: there is a tapestry of him in her hall)? Later on a shadowy man breaks into Borana’s house and stabs Slakka, causing a slow yet mortal wound (seemingly with little or no trouble). There is no evidence of how he got into or out of the house, he was just there heading toward the daughter’s (who looks like a clone of Sir Ewen) bedroom (calling him a worm while stabbing him in the gut). Later still, while walking through the square, harper Ewen and Sir Baris get an overpowering dread (supposedly a Morgathian ability) in the alley just across from the perfume shop, which is later found out has been abandoned by the occupants (at least Borana, her daughter, and the mortally wounded Slakka). Very shortly after this, there are six deaths (at least) of Morgathian guards, three decapitated, one nearly so, and two others killed by three arrows (total). Sir Ewen’s old friend Sir Zaurial is then attacked and nearly killed by a dark knight (darkened plate), only saved by some of his followers throwing themselves in front of this knight who has no trouble slaying them in short order. Who have members of the party met (at least Imare and Bevan) who wears darkened plate? Who has been seen to demonstrate such prowess in battle as to be able to kill six knights with an economy of hits? Who has had a history in the past of showing up in Golotha and causing sudden death? I of course refer to Lord Morgan. He would have a bone to pick with the Baron of Quste because he revolted against the King (just look at where his body was placed). He is the one that Rahel seems to have a fascination for. While I have no idea why he would be interested in Borana’s daughter (it would be fascinating to find out if she were a deryni), my supposition is that he has one. If the Morgathians were watching the house and captured the mother and daughter where would they have taken them? The Temple. It is interesting that shortly after the disappearance the temple is raided and the guards are killed (perhaps others that they were able to handle in house and not send to Boraga also). What was Sir Zaurial doing when he was attacked? Revolting against royal authority. Who would take a dim view of such a thing? One Lord Morgan of Darring. What did all of the fighting and problems in Golotha lead to? Increased Royal authority in the city, something that Lord Morgan would be interested in.

Any ideas that would add or detract from this?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:03 pm

Sounds like an interesting theory, to say the very least. You left out the death of "The Prophet", which triggered the Agrikan conflagration. And then there are the troublesome mascles, on the Baron & the hideworker, as well. Does your theory lay these two issues at Lord Morgan's feet also?

One troublesome link, to my mind, is the scenario of the Morgathians abducting Borana's household. The evidence to support your theory here seems circumstantial at best, and I can't help but wonder why they would take such an action. Would it have been prompted by the intruder (Lord Morgan?) stabbing Slakka? If it was indeed Lord Morgan who attacked the assassin, why would the Morgathians then intervene and take the household to their Temple? It seems to me that the slender thread linking the dead Morgathian guards and Borana in your theory is the dread we felt in the square (which I admit seems clearly Morgathian in retrospect, given what we later learned during our benighted escapades in Selvos :roll: ). A more parsimonious theory, you must admit, is what we have already considered: Borana fled to Shiran, where she often travels anyway, in the wake of a very scary incident in her own house. After all, if your theory about Lord Morgan being in Golotha is correct, there seems little need to posit a further excuse for him to kick ass on the Morgathians. If he came to Golotha to re-establish royal control of the city, then violently undermining Agrikan and Morgathian power would be on the agenda anyway. No need to posit the raid on the Temple as a rescue mission. Or am I missing something which led you and Bevan to this conclusion?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:04 am

The more interesting question would be that if it was Lord Morgan who got Slakka, why was he there in the first place? What about Borana's daughter brought him to that home? It seems the stabbing of Slakka was a spur of the moment decision. It is strange that nobody has heard of Slakka dying, nobody saw Borana leave and she has not been heard of. Remember the rumor that she had the protection of the Lia Kavair and did not seem frightened when we visited her, in fact she was looking for somebody to go after the one who had attacked Slakka (interesting to note she claims to have not recognized the attacker). Why would she suddenly and without warning just run?

As to the mascles, I really don't know. We know you are the one who carved Sir Felkar that way. Maybe whoever killed the Baron wanted the two tied together. Maybe the third attack was to just cover for the second attack. Remember all this confused us (including you, who had done one of them) and could be guaranteed to do the same for others (remember, Rahel could be tied to the attack although nobody had put the clues together yet). I also do not remember the order of things, had you had your session with Rahel and the aquavit before of after any of the other two issues? Remember, the Baron took an oath to King Arren I personally and then went back on it. Lord Morgan was taking care of that treachery no matter what Arren II had done. Look at how little fanfare accompanied the death of a member of a very small group. What would happen if something similar were to happen to the new Baron of Quste? I hardly think there would be no fanfare.

The attack on all of the Agrikans seem to have led to a stronger royal presence in the city, something that Lord Morgan would be interested in. The attack on the Prophet would be sure to enrage them and they, following their normal patterns, went wild. For some reason Sir Zaurial seems to have been singled out and not his uncle. Maybe it was just to take down a powerful Agrikan. You must admit that going through these men would not be a simple task for an individual. Who have we heard of that would have the inclination and the ability to do something like this? The control the Mogathians have in the city is political. The physical power in the city was wielded by the Agrikans and they have now been removed (with little bloodshed considering) and there is nothing to tie Lord Morgan or the government to any of it. I will also point to the wealth of the person who did this. Sir Baris paid over 4000d for his suit of plate. This one seems to have been fancier (I am sure that having darkened plate would add to the cost). The armor is also rare, very few people would possess something like that (the armorer said the last he had done was for an Earl). He also managed to appear in the middle of a city in revolt and we all know Lord Morgan's ability to show up where least expected and to do, to us, inexplicable things.

To answer you question, there is little to hang the theories on, but this at least ties them together. If there is another theory to put forward to account for everything please put it out there. At this point this is all theory and of little value except talk around the fireplace in Tashal.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:26 am

Imarë wrote:Look at how little fanfare accompanied the death of a member of a very small group. What would happen if something similar were to happen to the new Baron of Quste? I hardly think there would be no fanfare.

There may have been a lot of fanfare in Coranan which you guys did not see. Or it may have been shrugged off - no way to be sure with the available information.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:44 pm

The biggest reaction I saw in Coranan was Sir Auram working on getting the position for himself. If what we suspect about Lord Morgan being known by some government officials is true (and we know that Lord Graver knows about Lord Morgan from Bevans reports), the whole thing could have been arranged. Do we know of anyone who has the fortitude (or testicles) to stand up to this man (apart from those who inhabit his dead body filled past)?

In Golotha there was some consternation but no great outrage about the news a Baron had been slaughtered and left in the stock on the public square (I also realize that Golotha is a little jaded but really). Much of this antipathy could be because of his lifestyle (his niece for example).

Between my choices (as I see them) that there was no hue and cry because a) nobody liked him or b) everybody of importance knew something like this was going to happen c) those of importance knew who did it I will go with c (Lord Graver did not seem to know it had occured). This is just how I see it however.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:08 pm

Imarë wrote:I also do not remember the order of things, had you had your session with Rahel and the aquavit before of after any of the other two issues?

Consulting the session notes yields the following: Larane 11, the Baron flees the city upon learning of Sir Felkar's death. Larane 12, Bevan and Ewen meet Rahel at the Aerth dinner party. Larane 13, Ewen visits Rahel at her home, and drinks the aquavit. Interestingly enough, we have to conclude that she already had the Baron in custody when we first met her. Recall that the Baron was missing for a number of days prior to his body showing up in the pillory, e-mascle-ated.

My objections to the Borana part of the scenario were not meant to critique your main theme, which identifies the black knight as Lord Morgan.

And while we certainly strive to operate in exhalted circles, I doubt that we have sufficient access to these to know what the Baron's peers made of his demise. And, to be honest, I have no clue what the public at large actually knows of the man's fate, aside from the obvious fact that there's a new baron. Lord Graver was able to maneuver himself into position by virtue of the fact that virtually nobody of consequence knew about the death before he. Those who did learn of it within our orbit, like Sir Tovar, seemed suitably appalled at his fate, whatever his private opinion of the man might have been. I would hesitantly conclude that Sir Tovar's reaction was fairly representative. I doubt too many people were taking to the streets and rending their garments in grief over the news, however.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:08 pm

Sir Ewen wrote:Recall that the Baron was missing for a number of days prior to his body showing up in the pillory, e-mascle-ated.

OMG! :shock:
Matt
The GM

Return to Plots Have I Laid ...