Ewen's Revelation

Discussions regarding plotlines, paranoid musings, and other related ruminations

Moderator: Imarë

Ewen's Revelation

Postby Lord Ewen » Thu May 11, 2006 5:53 pm

The walk back home to Gray House, clear across Tashal from the Temple of Peoni, is brisk and silent. Sir Ewen of Ravinargh measures long strides across the cobbled streets of the bustling city while Bevan Palliser matches his determined pace, an expression of mock incredulity playing at times upon her face. Sir Baris Tyrestal and Imarë Taërsi follow close behind, exchanging glances but biding their silence until the threshold of Gray House is finally crossed. The four companions sweep into the great hall as the household servants appear, lingering on the periphery.

“I believe we’ll be requiring some refreshment,” Bevan calls drolly to the major domo, one eyebrow raised as she considers Sir Ewen, who has silently claimed the seat at the head of the large table.

Sir Ewen smiles at Bevan, steepling his fingers beneath his chin, as Imarë glides to her own chair with quiet composure and Sir Baris throws himself into another. “Yes, by all means, my dear Bevan, some refreshment. A little brandy, a little wine.” Ewen’s smile fades. “And perhaps something even more satisfying…”

After drinks are poured and the servants have withdrawn, Sir Ewen breaks the silence, addressing the other three in soft, measured tones.

“As you have no doubt concluded, the time has come for us to speak frankly about events which transpired in Golotha last year, and about my particular role in those things.” He surveys them calmly. “Now that we are embarked upon our work here in Kaldor, it has become essential that you understand a number of things which have heretofore gone unexplained. No doubt you will have many questions."

Ewen rises, considering the amber liquid swirling in his glass thoughtfully, and then meets the gaze of each member of the party in turn.

“I propose the following. That I summarize for you, as best I can, how and why events in Golotha took their course, and how they bear upon what you have just witnessed. After we have discussed these things sufficiently, I propose that Para Harkthorn join us at her earliest convenience for a second meeting, wherein we discuss our present strategy in Kaldor and our plans for the future. I think, as well, that you may find the lady able to confirm or expand upon any number of the things which I am about to say. That may prove of interest to you.” Sir Ewen pauses. “I presume we are then agreed?”
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Fri May 12, 2006 8:42 am

Imare agrees.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Bevan » Fri May 12, 2006 10:29 am

AGREE
Bevan
Squire
Squire

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri May 12, 2006 6:43 pm

Ewen frowns, as if embarking upon a distasteful task, and begins slowly. “As you have perhaps already concluded, I only became aware of my Deryni heritage after our arrival in Golotha last year. Before then, throughout my life, only the occasional odd intuition - some uncanny presentiment perhaps - hinted from time to time of my latent … talents.” He glances around the table. “One of those moments of intuition occurred that evening in the common room of the Bridgetower Inn, when I witnessed Sir Felkar Uldseth stealing down the stairs and out the public door laden with the good Baron’s appeasement money. I was seized then with the fleeting conviction that Sir Felkar posed some threat, was a danger of some sort, and it was with this eerie conviction lingering in my mind that I followed him up Nemiran Street, witnessed the work of Mogger’s men, and made the rather precipitous choice to finish the job then and there. It became, in retrospect, a momentous decision.

“I thought for a brief time to use the letters I found upon Sir Felkar’s person to put the person he was expecting to meet in Nemiran Square to some calculated … inconvenience. Yes, Bevan, the letters were indeed addressed to an identifiable person, although I elected to withhold that portion of the information from you in Sir Auram’s chamber. At, I might add, Sir Auram’s suggestion - mainly to prevent our becoming sidetracked, I think. Sir Auram seemed little concerned at the time with the role of Sir Blors Manfrungtane in Sir Felkar’s little affair. Of course, Sir Auram most likely knew quite a bit more than I did about the good sheriff, and I was certainly content at that point to leave things be.” Ewen smiles unpleasantly.

“At any rate, events after Sir Felkar’s death proceeded at a very rapid pace indeed. Rahel, whose men were monitoring the activities of the Baron – an inconstant supporter of the crown if ever there was one – seized the opportunity of his flight from the city to seize his person and … detain him. At the same time, she was surprised to encounter at dinner an intriguing young man,” Ewen pauses ironically, “with rather strong … shields, as it turns out.” Ewen glances at Bevan. “You have heard your daughter speak of shields, I believe. For even those like myself, whose talents have remained latent since birth, the shields are always there, protecting the mind from intrusion. And so, Rahel probed at dinner, found her results inconclusive, and then invited me back for a more direct test of my blood. The aquavit, tainted with the substance your friend Ardeth researched at Gelimo, confirmed at least one of her suspicions. And that, as well as the question of her prisoner the Baron of Quste, prompted her to contact the man whom she serves, by much the same manner as she has arranged things for me here in Tashal of late. And that is how Lord Morgan of Darring came to Golotha.”

Ewen will pause before continuing.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Lord Ewen » Sun May 14, 2006 7:06 am

“Lord Morgan was, of course, the intruder who stabbed Slakka in Borana’s house; Jelesa is his daughter. And the Baron was dispatched, and adorned with the convenient mascles, before Lord Morgan or Rahel knew who had been the author of Sir Felkar’s demise. But Rahel had divulged to her lord her suspicions regarding myself and, on the night of the 19th of Larane, his mind sought my own, and found me where I lay abed in Palliser House. I awoke in the small hours of Larane 20 from an intense, frightening dream – a dream unlike any other I have ever experienced. In the dream I walked in strange lands I have never visited, and saw people and spoke in tongues I have never known. But there were familiar people in the dream, too. Rahel. Jelesa.” Ewen’s blue eyes, wide and graceless, fall upon Bevan. “Trilime.” He looks away, and begins to pace at the head of the table.

“On the morning of the 21st, after a day in which I had begun to comprehend some of the implications of the dream, I left word at Rahel’s gate that I would call upon her that evening, if it be her pleasure. That night, actually in the small hours of the 22nd , I left Palliser House surreptitiously – a practice I was to perfect in the ensuing months – and was pleased to be let in by Rahel’s men. Rahel was up, adorned in leathers but as lovely as ever, awaiting me before a well-appointed table. I came to my point quickly, relating the details of my dream to her. I had begun to tell her some of the conclusions I had drawn when sounds of activity reached our ears from the front entrance, and Rahel stood and called me sharply to her side, eyes wide. And then a dark knight, armored head to toe in plate, strode into the small hall as the very atmosphere of the room changed palpably. The smell of the crypt still hung about him, for he had just extracted Jelesa and Borana from the Temple of Morgath. He removed his helm.” Ewens voice drops to a hush. “And falling to my knee, I beheld the countenance of Arren of Melderyn.”

Ewen is silent for a moment, as if lost in thought, and then he continues in a more natural tone. “Lord Morgan was attended that night by Merin Sheld,” he glances at Imarë, “while Sir Harth of Hurlis performed the office of squire as he divested himself of the plate. When I mentioned the dream, Lord Morgan indicated we should wait until the others save Rahel had withdrawn, at which point he suggested that I consent to being read. Which, of course, I did. And so I knelt before him, and when the reading was done he turned to Rahel, and for a few seconds of silence they communicated in the fashion of Deryni who are well familiar with each other. And then Rahel turned to me in some shock and surprise, saying “You killed Felkar!” She had not guessed that, you see, which I confess pleased me not a little.”
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Sun May 14, 2006 3:02 pm

[GM: BTW, I'm going to consider this conversation 'official,' and as such will append it to the notes for the last session (when I get them). To that end, I'll edit out any extraneous bits (like this post), but I do encourage the rest of you to comment or incorporate your character's reactions into the narrative. I'll take responsibility for making it flow in the notes themselves.]
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Mon May 15, 2006 8:42 am

Imare leans over to Bevan and mutters "it sounds like we should sew a bell to Sir Ewen." Then, in a louder tone "Pray, do continue Sir Ewen, this answers a slew of guesses we have been making. I am sure that Ardeth would be fascinated."
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Imarë » Mon May 15, 2006 12:35 pm

To keep the chronology correct, you first met with Lord Morgan on the evening of Larane 21 (the night after Evil Erol was dispached). It was several days later (the 26th to be precise) that the meeting with Sir Auram took place. After this was the foray to Selvos and the unpleasantness there (which would probably account for Rahel coming to look for you after being gone for so long).
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Mon May 15, 2006 2:13 pm

Well, we haven't gotten so far yet, patience, patience ...
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon May 15, 2006 5:56 pm

Ewen gives a short laugh. "No doubt, my dear Imarë, no doubt.” Ceasing his pacing, he studies the amber liquid in his glass for a moment before continuing his tale in quiet, measured cadences. “Lord Morgan observed rather sardonically to Rahel that here, indeed, was a dangerous fellow, and wondered aloud what should be done with me. He turned upon me then and observed that I had not asked of him his name. That gave me some pause, as you might imagine, and I answered with some boldness that his name was his privilege to vouchsafe as he saw fit, but that he should know that this topic had been under discussion much of late among my traveling companions. Lord Morgan considered this not a trifling concern, cautioning me of its gravity, but went on to admit that while he is currently known as Lord Morgan of Darring, he had been known throughout most of his life as Arren of Melderyn. I nodded at this, agreeing that ‘Lord Morgan’ it was, and added, quite simply: ‘You are my father.’ To which he agreed, acknowledging me as a natural son of whom he had been previously unaware. The name Ravinargh meant nothing to him, after all, but he did recall my mother, Pela, with some evident fondness, and was sorry to hear of her passing. He troubled to emphasize that his habit had not been to neglect any children of his, and before the night was ended instructed Rahel to begin my belated training forthwith.

“We also spoke of affairs in Golotha; my murder of Sir Felkar had provided him the perfect cover for eliminating the Baron, and he admitted responsibility for the death of the hideworker as well. He said that he had adopted my ‘most mystifying’ use of the mascles on Felkar as a convenient form of misdirection, and indicated that if I had not turned out to be his son I would have ended my days at the end of a rope, a convenient scapegoat to cover his own activities in Golotha. In speaking of the Baron and the hidewoker, Lord Morgan said that he was considering adding an Agrikan to the list, alluding to the Prophet, and asked me what I thought of the idea. I told him I thought it a splendid notion. When I suggested that the Agrikans had been a problem of longstanding, but that he was famed for knowing how to handle them, he chastised me for implying that the king had been somehow remiss in his duties. The king, Lord Morgan sternly explained, had found the Agrikans more manageable out in the open than he had their previous troublemaking as an underground religion, thus explaining the policy of tolerance. He went on to caution me never to forget: that the right one of his children sits upon his throne. He then spoke of his plans to provoke the Agrikans into open riot, stating that their days as an active power in the city were to come to an end, and went on to discuss a plan which, as you all now well know, played out just as he had explained it to me that night. He stated that he saw great irony in all of this, as it had been my murder of Sir Felkar which set the wheels in motion and made it all possible. He said that Sir Felkar, after all was done and unknowingly, had given his life for his kingdom.

"Lord Morgan, finally, asked me if I would have some boon from him, and said that, if what I asked were within his power, he would grant it. I thanked him but said that I would not ask anything of him at that time - that the practice of careful consideration had long been a habit of mine. He laughed at this, and said I was indeed his son.

"With that he departed, instructing Rahel to begin my training by placing certain ... blocks ... within my mind to prevent another Deryni from learning of my parentage." Ewen's smile reappears, distinctly unpleasant this time. "You would do well to consider that as I tell these things to you; consider well Lord Morgan's wishes in this matter, and the trouble he has taken to cover his tracks. As well, it was Lord Morgan's own injunction that I tell no one of his presence in Golotha at the time. Most especially, he said," Ewen's eyes come to rest across the table, "not Bevan Palliser."
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Mon May 15, 2006 6:11 pm

Imare says "now that you have told us this secret, it might be well to see if our minds can have a block placed on them as well. I recall that Lord Morgan did something similar himself when he sent us to deliver the message in Melderyn"
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon May 15, 2006 6:55 pm

Ewen nods. “That may well be prudent, Imarë, as these matters touch not just upon myself but upon my father’s concerns as well. But such a thing is not within the scope of my own abilities at this time. The lady Para Harkthorn, however, may be willing to oblige, should it be deemed prudent. I propose that we raise the issue during the course of the meeting I suggested earlier.”
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue May 16, 2006 4:58 am

Ewen takes a sip from his brandy and resumes his seat, surveying each of his companions critically for a long moment. He seems somehow more relaxed now, as if the most trying portion of his story is behind him. He offers a wry smile, leaning back in his chair.

"A few minor mysteries, next, briefly expounded and explained. Sir Buell, the knight who occupied the Agrikan stronghold after Sir Zaurial's injury, was an agent of Lord Morgan's, a sleeper operative of longstanding within the Warriors of Mameka whom Lord Morgan told me about that evening. As you recall, Sir Buell recognized me for who I was when I revisited the vacant house. You all naturally took his cryptic remarks as indicating some connection to Lord Graver at the time, but his direct allegiance is to Lord Morgan alone, and I of course took his concern about Morgathian activity as reflecting the thoughts of his lord.

"As for my debut in the Palace of Red Domes, I must say that my particular method of revealing my new-found identity to Lord Graver did not, I'm afraid, endear me to the man. I correctly calculated that the wishes of Lord Morgan, available to Lord Graver if I should drop my shields when he read me, would trump any desire on his part to, among other things, keep one of his "favorite agents" informed, and so I fear I garnered a small bit of his enmity for a time. He felt that I had bearded the lion, as it were, in his own den. Rahel's response, when I told her of Lord Graver's assignment to kill Sir Peten Valgari, was instructive: 'Sir Auram purposes your death.' And so I needed to go about the task, with you, of eliminating Valgari with the additional challenge of avoiding any chance of mental combat with an experienced Deryni whom Rahel, with an accurate degree of foreknowledge and concern, I think, expected to be quite capable of killing me outright."

"And so, of course, when the group wisdom decreed that we attempt to capture Koltho Valgari alive and interrogate him, I could not risk the likelihood that he had inherited Deryni talents from his father, and would quickly discern my own shields and reveal that aspect of my nature. So I am afraid that I very deliberately killed him, right under your watchful eyes. The fact that this precipitated his father's flight into the tender mercies of Sir Klyrdes Bisidril proved, I must admit, delightfully symmetrical to the murder of Sir Felkar which started the whole amazing process in motion.

"Our misadventure in Selvos, as my friend Imarë has already deduced, concluded as it did due to a great deal of effort on my part to cast my mind in Rahel's direction during our imprisonment. Only the fact that she, having sensed that something was wrong, was casting for me at the exact same time led to the unlikely success of that effort. Still, I had no idea that the tactic had worked until I opened my eyes in Caer Selvos. Of course, the fact that Rahel and I were already by that time joined in an, ah, intimate manner, explains the special circumstances of my convalescence in the keep. Rahel herself nursed me back to health. The intimacy of our relationship dated, in fact, from the evening of the very first dinner party at Palliser House; Bevan's machinations to get us conjoined during the second dinner party simply gave us the opportunity, at long last, to make the affair public. And so, Bevan, I can safely say you need not trouble your conscience on that score.

"As for my knighthood, while I believe that ample proof of my utility to the crown in the matter of the Serolan Iblis Milaka played some part, so I think did her scathing treatment of me when Bevan and I interviewed her, refusing to credit my right to even speak due to my supposed lack of bloodline. I think Lord Graver was suitably horrified that someone with Parkhurst blood flowing in his veins should be mishandled so. Thus, in all candor, the knighthood. And, I might add, the colors of my achievement... Whether I believed Lord Graver's claim that he prevaricated when asked by his grace the king about my shields following the ceremony, I leave for you to conclude."

Ewen leans back in his chair, and then raises an eyebrow. “Oh, and one other item. Arnys.” He says the name slowly, lowering the pitch of his voice even further. “You will recall a curious comment he made upon our first encounter, to the effect that I reminded him of something or someone. Given what you now know, you will apprehend that I gave some considerable thought to the matter. What he didn’t say intrigued me even more than his cryptic comment did, and so I decided to recruit him to my service as a way of dealing with the situation. I explained this to Rahel while recovering in Caer Selvos, which explains the touching scene in the market square. I should state, however, that I have never troubled Arnys for an explanation of his comment, and do not, I think, intend to do so. I expect each of you to show him the same circumspection. Our friend Arnys, I think, has yet a role to play in all of this, and I would not see it interfered with.”
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Tue May 16, 2006 10:35 am

Very interesting. From what you are saying, Lord Graver, knowing your lineage, decided to send you on a mission he thought would kill you. Would this make Lord Morgan unhappy? I would not, for one, like to be in this man's displeasure. Does the King know of your connection to him? If you were to die, Bevan would also be in grave jeopardy of going the same way, which I do not believe would make Sir Theron happy. This does answer the question of whether or not Lord Graver knows of the existence of Lord Morgan though.

Now comes the 64,000d question, does this information change our position any? We came here working for Lord Graver to further the desires of Arren II. We now seem to be in the sphere of Lord Morgan, who is working for the desires of Arren II albeit in a different manner. Can we serve both? If we cannot, who's sphere should we continue in? I know where my choice would lie, but what do others think? Sir Ewen? Bevan? Sir Baris?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue May 16, 2006 7:57 pm

Ewen suggests that the apparent conflict of interests here is largely illusory, although drawing that conclusion requires one to make assumptions about the motives of both Lord Morgan and Lord Graver, which is always an exercise fraught with hazard. Having said that, he explains that he believes Lord Graver saw the assignment to kill Sir Peten Valgari more as a win-win situation given Ewen's monumental presumption in his chambers, with the potential of Ewen's death being a risk that Ewen brought upon himself in playing such a high-stakes game with the Inquisitor General. Ewen also suggests that, should Valgari have slain the harper, Lord Morgan might well have viewed the outcome in a similar manner, although Ewen admits that this is pure supposition. Ewen reminds Imarë that Arren II's throne was won at the cost of a brother's life, and frankly suggests that both Lord Morgan and Lord Graver place the needs of the crown of Tharda far above any single life, even the life of one with Parkhurst blood in his veins. Ewen is well aware of this, and this is consistent with Para asking Ewen whether he would be willing to kill Lady Cheselyne - the implication clearly being that Ewen may be asked to lose his life for Tharda.

Ewen does add one detail he neglected to mention, however. When Lord Graver read Ewen at the Palace of Red Domes, he made one point painfully clear in his fulminations: should any of Ewen's machinations result in harm coming to Bevan Palliser, Sir Auram stated that he would kill Ewen himself, regardless of his parentage. Remember, Ewen had been plotting up to that point to avenge himself upon the Pallisers, prior to his audience with Arren of Melderyn. And Lord Morgan himself basically instructed Ewen to desist with those plans during their interview, although the impetus for Ewen's plot had already evaporated in the wake of his learning about his actual bloodline. So, in actuality, I think Lord Morgan and Lord Graver are very much on the same page, and any question of choosing loyalty is really unnecessary, and can be safely put aside.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Wed May 17, 2006 7:11 am

I was not suggesting sending Lord Graver a nasty note or ceasing communication with him at all. My belief is that we cannot serve two masters and the time may come, in the future, where one must take priority over the other. I think we should make the decision ahead of time which of the two is our primary motivator. I myself have been more than impressed with Lord Morgan since our first meeting in Orbaal. The main reason that I believe we left his influence at the time was the belief of Sir Arlen that he could not serve Lord Morgan knowing what he did. It may just come down to the kingdom (which is Lord Graver's primary concern) and the dynasty (which is Lord Morgan's).
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Wed May 17, 2006 8:06 am

Imarë wrote:It may just come down to the kingdom (which is Lord Graver's primary concern) and the dynasty (which is Lord Morgan's).

A subtly-drawn distinction, Dave, though one cannot see Morgan, at least, wishing to separate the two.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Wed May 17, 2006 8:53 am

No, you are right. I do not believe that Lord Morgan would wish something like that. But if the event ever came up, he would do it. Only you (as GM) know what history will unfold. One question to ask is: Was Arren II in on the decision by Lord Morgan to kill the Baron? If the answer is no, Morgan is willing to do things outside of the monarchy to promote the monarchy. Would Lord Graver do the same and act against royal wish? I don't think that Para or Marin's activities revolve around tea parties trying to convince others to see their point of view. I think this is going to be dirtier and might not be according to Marquis of Larani rules. Much as Sir Ewen was asked if he would be willing to kill our hostess, other tests or obligations could come our way. Sir Arlen was unwilling to soil what he considered his honor. He held this higher than his duty to the Parkhursts and has not hurt him in the long run because he is loyal to Arren II. There is a distinction here, Lord Morgan is behind the Parkhursts whoever it might be and whatever it might cost (Prince Arabar for instance). I think Lord Graver is loyal and devoted to Arren II as King of Tharda. The chances of the two courses diverging, very low but I get the feeling that normal rules of devotion do not apply to Lord Morgan.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Return to Plots Have I Laid ...