Beyond the Tournament

Discussions regarding plotlines, paranoid musings, and other related ruminations

Moderator: Imarë

Beyond the Tournament

Postby Imarë » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:02 pm

We now seem to have a clear idea of what we are doing up until Sir Ewen and Sir Baris participate in the tournament. Once we have reached that goal (and hopefully they will do very well), what shall we then do? I know I have suggested more social climbing, but to what end? We know (with the possible exception of Sir Baris) what the end strategy in Kaldor is. What, if anything, can we do to help this along? Having seen the handiwork of Lord Morgan, I doubt he has left very much (if anything) to chance. I believe we need to do something besides just network with the upper crust of Kaldoran society but don't know what to do about it. Suggestions?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Imarë » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:21 am

One of the things Imare suggests would be to do something to add funds to our purses. Tashal is a nice place to live but it does cost quite a bit to do so in style. It has been noted that the largess of Lord Graver seems to have hit it's current dry spell when Sir Ewen evidently bearded him in his own den.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:43 pm

I'm not sure I would agree with that - the property in Golotha came after that. That was no mean compensation. Of course, he also knew about the last Lenesque treasure, and that might have colored his view of the party's resources. :wink:

However, some income would be nice, and perhaps the tournament will solve some of that should the knights be successful. 8)
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:08 pm

The GM also chooses to forget that the compensation of the house went to one individual (an it did cost her money).
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:50 pm

No he doesn't - Lord Graver's compensation always goes to one individual. She has shared, it's true, but he only pays her except under extraordinary circumstances. :wink:

As to it costing her money, that's true. She paid some £50 for an asset worth at least £120 (leaving aside the other houses which were an even greater bargain). Lord Graver knew that too. 8)
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:50 am

Very true. I guess we have gotten most of what we have from "freelancing". Imare just does not want to be caught short in her considerable old age without baubles.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:24 am

Well, it's not like she'll actually grow old or anything ... :wink:
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:57 pm

While Imarë continues to delight and confound us all with her frank avarice, deftly undercutting all of those hoary, tired stereotypes about her mysterious people, Sir Ewen must concur to some degree with her concern here.

On a purely individual note, Ewen would be pleased to bring some cash in at some point, as the alternative of leaching too long off his sharp-tongued girlfriend carries with it a certain uneasy frisson of danger which is not entirely pleasant to his mind. While he's not running out of cash of his own yet, we are operating in the upper echelons here, and all of that Golothan wealth could easily evanesce...

Depending on the tournament to raise cash seems rather ... dicey ... as well. In fact, the whole prospect of Sir Baris and me at the tournament seems dicey. To wit, the success or failure of that component of our plan might be entirely dependent on dice. Sir Baris sits his horse, lowers his visor, levels his lance, spurs his horse forward, and rolls the dice. Nothing wrong with it, but take it from somebody whose musical career involved a die roll at every event - it can turn ugly fast. And while Sir Baris and Sir Ewen have taken each other's measure and seem roughly in a similar class skill-wise, we certainly have no clue what the flower of Kaldoric chivalry boasts in the ML department. I guess we'll find out in due time, but we are more used to stacking the odds in our favor in the game through things like clever planning, outmanuvering people, doing the unexpected, etc. While I don't suggest anything out of bounds at the tournament (too risky, with the potential damage of being detected out of proportion to the benefit), if anyone has any idea on how to plausibly improve our chances, speak up now...
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:04 pm

Had Imare been your typical elf, would she have ever left the Shava Forest? Can she help it if she likes baubles?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Return to Plots Have I Laid ...