Since this is the place for paranoid musings...

Discussions regarding plotlines, paranoid musings, and other related ruminations

Moderator: Imarë

Since this is the place for paranoid musings...

Postby Imarë » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:42 am

Paranoid elf checking in here. I have one question to go off of. How did the Scribe and Inquisitor know about the secret tunnel when the Bishop claims he does not? This would seem to mean one of two things: the Archbishop is really in league with the Morgathians or there are more, high level connections with the abbey. Let me rant a little more here. What if the plan was more ambitious than we think? How often do all the Bishops of Kaldor assemble in one place for a private meeting? What would it take to get such a meeting? What would be the result if all of them were turned into amorverous? We still do not know how to tell if someone is one of the “uber undead”. Have we ever seen the document which started the Inquisitor on his path? Could this have been a set up the whole time. Who better a witness to the dastardly attack on the Laranians than the First Knight of Kaldor, whoever it was. Notice how the attack seemed to end very suddenly, were we in such a strong position that they would not have won when two (presumably) of their best LOP knights entered the fray? We saw one of the LOP knights supposedly sent to notify the King and Arch-bishop in the attack, who told us they had been sent out? Why were no questions allowed except what the bishop asked to the Inquisitor? Why was the split in the tunnel not investigated? The Bishop says he did not know of the tunnel but did not send anyone out to explore the other branch. How did he know that this was the way to go? Who else knew that we had fixated on the Inquisitor as the culprit? Who sensed we would not stop until we knew what happened to him? Why were there no further attacks on the abbey when they had gone to all this trouble to arrange the situation? Please let me know if there is validity in any of these points or have I been huffing too much cigar smoke again.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:20 am

One clarification - it was the Serolan (Abbot), not the Bishop, who recalled the secret tunnel and led the way to the crypt. 8)
Matt
The GM

Re: Since this is the place for paranoid musings...

Postby Arva » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:50 pm

Imarë wrote:Paranoid elf checking in here. I have one question to go off of. How did the Scribe and Inquisitor know about the secret tunnel when the Bishop claims he does not? This would seem to mean one of two things: the Archbishop is really in league with the Morgathians or there are more, high level connections with the abbey.

one question my foot...anywho..the archivist gets my vote as to how the scribe and inquistor knew of the tunnel...she is in charge of the archives and i'm sure that tunnel had to be used at one point in the Abbey's history...

Imarë wrote: What if the plan was more ambitious than we think?

what was the plan again?

Imarë wrote: How often do all the Bishops of Kaldor assemble in one place for a private meeting?

most likely not that often, i'd guess once in a archbishop's lifetime...

Imarë wrote: What would it take to get such a meeting?

evidently an invitation and a fast horse

Imarë wrote:What would be the result if all of them were turned into amorverous?

i hear that golotha is nice this time of year
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Imarë » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:59 pm

The plan, as I think we had it, was that the Morgathians were trying to subvert an abbey (1/5 of the bishops in Kaldor). The comment about the Archivist would assume that she had been subverted before they arrived, something we cannot substantiate. But more importantly, would the Bisop be unaware of such a tunnel?

I see one of three possibilities here:

1) GM sees it and laughs at paranoid elf

2) GM sees it and says s***, he guessed already

3) GM sees it and says s***, great idea, why don't I use it
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Arva » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:04 pm

and continuing...
Imarë wrote:Have we ever seen the document which started the Inquisitor on his path?

i though someone did...and it was a genuine thing with the siggies of the archbishop and primate...maybe it was just the confirmation from the bisop we got, so i don't know...

Imarë wrote:Who better a witness to the dastardly attack on the Laranians than the First Knight of Kaldor, whoever it was.

umm...a member of the royal family or a dariune, would of actually been better, at least in my thoughts..

Imarë wrote: Notice how the attack seemed to end very suddenly, were we in such a strong position that they would not have won when two (presumably) of their best LOP knights entered the fray?

i believe the attacked ended suddenly after Ewen's hands shot out beams of light...that is a factor that the undead did not count on and frankly i think was the deciding factor for them...we were not in the best postion to win, we were handling the undead as they came at as, one at a time, and we were split around the room, but the whole light thingee was an unknown factor and i'd retreat too if a foe was capable of shooting beams of light at me that is capable of killing me in one blow (versus the several it usually takes)
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Arva » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:07 pm

Imarë wrote:The plan, as I think we had it, was that the Morgathians were trying to subvert an abbey (1/5 of the bishops in Kaldor).

ok, i had the plan that they were going to subvert the entire larani church, starting with this abbey....of course now that i look at the plan i had in my head i realize that the next step would be to call a synod and go along the lines you had already written out..
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:15 pm

Imarë wrote:I see one of three possibilities here:

1) GM sees it and laughs at paranoid elf

2) GM sees it and says s***, he guessed already

3) GM sees it and says s***, great idea, why don't I use it

Every single one of these has happened in the past. Some of them more than once. :wink:
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:20 pm

On Kaely's point about the witness, would a royal or even a Deriune come to the abbey? Would they come in a small enough entourage?[/quote]
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Imarë » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:25 pm

On the three options, it seems Imare is either prescient or paranoid. Hopefully the two will meet someday.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Arva » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:25 pm

Kaely???? i get a nickname?

and moving on...no i doubt that either one would of brought a small retinue, but since the idea was someone to witness the attack, a small retinue might not neccessarily be a good thing...
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Arva » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:27 pm

Imarë wrote:On the three options, it seems Imare is either prescient or paranoid. Hopefully the two will meet someday.

they did....remember your comment about the hidden passage and about gris...
the question is....what's your accuracy rate...
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:27 pm

Royals do not travel with small retinues - neither do earls. Thirty to forty would be about right for an earl, half again as many for a royal.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:39 pm

Sorry Kaelyn, I did not forsee that...
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Imarë » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:54 pm

Can someone please refresh my memory on something. While the Serolan was guiding us through the tunnel there was a branch. As I recall, the description was that it was from the south. If you go along with my paranoid rantings, could this connect to the bishops hall? It makes sense that an escape tunnel would connect to more than just the abbey.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:43 pm

Yes, the Bishop's hall would have been south of that point. The Serolan didn't explore it because he clearly knew where he was going. 8)
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:28 pm

My musing was that if the tunnel did go to the bishops hall and we know the Morgathians were using said tunnel, there is a possibility that they got to the bishop without anybody knowing anything. But I'm still stuck with who told them about the tunnel. Perhaps the Serolon...
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Imarë » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:50 am

Might as well add barking at the moon to Imare's talents so here goes. We know that certain individuals are able to see that she is an elf at a glance. It also seems that only certain people, one's with advanced talents such as Theron Palliser, Arren II, I believe Lord Morgan, and of course Astarok (I believe his exact words were "my god, you are an elf". What if this power is not just a "find elf" ability and is able to see kind of an essence of a person. We don't know how to identify the living impared but what if people such as the one's I mentioned are able to see them also. My hypothesis is that perhaps Astarok's sudden death was not caused by natural causes. If either of the scenarios (the whole abbey or the decapitation of all the bishops of Kaldor) is true someone who could see them at a glance would be a real danger. Astarok is the only individual we have met in Kaldor who seems to have this power (although I am not totally sure of Lady C with her last statements to Imare). This does not mean that he is the only one who can and perhaps we should investigate as to whether or not others have suffered the same fate. Anyone else interested in a midnight howl??
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Arva » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:47 am

Imarë wrote:Might as well add barking at the moon to Imare's talents so here goes.

Did what's-his-face bite you and you are now a weredog? :P

Imarë wrote: We don't know how to identify the living impared but what if people such as the one's I mentioned are able to see them also.

I believe that Cekiya mentioned that they (gulmovrus) go to the people with the highest aura, and since i assume that elves have higher aura's than others, perhaps its not so much as "find the elf" but that "the elf is going to be targeted no matter what"
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Arva » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:49 am

Matt wrote:Yes, the Bishop's hall would have been south of that point. The Serolan didn't explore it because he clearly knew where he was going. 8)

i don't like the implications of that...nope, not one bit... :cry:
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Imarë » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:51 am

I was more wondering if the undead could be identified in the same way as Imare is identified as an elf. This is my primary concern here. It is not really important as to what they see, although it does trouble Imare since she does indeed have a rather high aura (established in the session). Consider her as a magnet for said living impared.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Arva » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:00 am

Imarë wrote:I was more wondering if the undead could be identified in the same way as Imare is identified as an elf.

oh ok..i get it now...
hmm...is there such a thing as an aura detection talent...and do the undead have an aura...or is it just like the shadow the inquisitor had.
(and i think i'm just rehashing what you asked, but it helps to get it straight in my head)

and about the whole elf identifiction thing...what did ewen see/believe when he first met Imarë? perhaps he could spread some light on this subject....
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:14 am

Kaelyn wrote:hmm...is there such a thing as an aura detection talent...

Yes, various spells would do so, elves can sense the strength of an aura as can the Deryni.

Kaelyn wrote:and do the undead have an aura...or is it just like the shadow the inquisitor had.

You have no idea.

Kaelyn wrote:and about the whole elf identifiction thing...what did ewen see/believe when he first met Imarë?.

He did not know she was an elf when he first met her.

The common thread among those who were able to tell Imarë was an elf without being told is that they were either Deryni or Shek-Pvar. Whether that's magic or experience, you don't know. Recall Arren II spoke to Imarë in perfect Sindarin.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:00 pm

I was not going into how certain people are able to see something like being an elf, although it is important to us. Perhaps Kaelyn could do some research and see if this is a phenomenon which is written about (there was the place where Astarok sent her to get the tome she desired). It is more of the question: Was Astarok offed?

The insinuation about the possibility of the tunnel going to the bishops hall at the abbey was to provide a way for the Morgathians to be able to convert the bishop. I don't know if people regularly are taken by the shadow, but the residents of the abbey seem to have really bad luck in that area. I recall both Sir Ewen and Sir Baris fought the shadow and won but have no idea what the difficulty of such resistance is (although I was informed that the process of living impairment was calculated for the elder people before the last encounters).

Lets see if we can get some more input on the various theories that I have put forward. At the very least it gives the GM a laugh.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:54 pm

Imarë wrote:Was Astarok offed?

:shock:

One would need to be pretty damn good to off a viran.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:06 pm

It is, after all, a death religion. One does not know if a viran is resistant to poison. You have to suppose that there are experienced people to do these kind of things anyway, even if a contract were needed. It just occured to me that Imare is not fond of coincidence, and Astarok dying suddenly that way (even at his age), does arouse some suspicion.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Next

Return to Plots Have I Laid ...