After the Baron

Discussions regarding plotlines, paranoid musings, and other related ruminations

Moderator: Imarë

After the Baron

Postby Imarë » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:23 am

Now that we have some evidence to look at with our conjectures lets try to see if we can make something out of it. First, I believe we have decided that Sir Blors, as unpleasant as he has been to the party as a whole, is not involved in what we are looking at. Second, the one who hired the Ewen to perform the song seems closer to the story than we had anticipated, right in the middle as far as we can tell. Could the song have been used to get Bevan and Ewen together in the first place (Ewen not just being a convenient source to get Bevan interested in something). It seems to be tied in with the area which used to be Rethem, the killing of the Baron seemed much less than random. Could our man who killed Sir Felkar have been waiting for the thieves to strike knowing that he could kill the messenger afterward? Could he have a tie to the Lia Kavir or just have hired them to do this job? We had been wondering about the seemingly randomness of getting a victim for the mascle carving. It is interesting that the coin found is of one of the Chafins, could the song have been referring to the takeover of the Kingdom of Rethem rather than the later establishment of the Kingdom of Tharda? Could the man who attacked Slaka be the one with the mascles? If so, what is his interest in Boranas daughter? What is her connection to Ewen? Does this have to do with who his family really is? Were there any dynastic changes or significant events around the time Ewen was born? The killing of the Baron in the way it was done a retribution or a punishment of some kind? Could Ewen's family be from the Queste area (Shostim is close, where we were advised to check for his mother). Is the whole Temple of Halea a story to keep Ewen away from something else? Around what year did the uncle come through and set him up to be trained? How hard is it to do what he did (is there a noble connection needed to do something like this)? I am trying to tie when the uncle came through and kingdoms fell (that could be one reason why the uncle did not go the last step and have Ewen knighted, ran out of influence or money or was deposed and killed?). The killer of the Baron went to a lot of trouble to not only kill but to humiliate him. Putting him in the stock nude when it must have been difficult to do must indicate that there was a reason to do so. Sir Felkar was not so humiliated, as I recall thieves later took his posessions after the murder was done. Could that have been done here and he was stripped at the stocks by later thieves? The cast of suspects seems to be going down to the Lia Kavir and party unknown. I believe we have also distanced ourselves from the Agrikans as suspects (due to Ewen's excellent frat boy endeavours). What are the first impressions of everybody else here?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Re: After the Baron

Postby Matt » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:31 pm

Imarë wrote:Could Ewen's family be from the Quste area (Shostim is close, where we were advised to check for his mother).

You were not told to look in Shostim which is nearby in Rethem to the north, but in Shiran which is far away to the northeast of Coranan.

Imarë wrote:The killer of the Baron went to a lot of trouble to not only kill but to humiliate him. Putting him in the stock nude when it must have been difficult to do must indicate that there was a reason to do so.

If so, then once again the killer proves a master of miscommunication. No one paid him the slightest attention or recognized him before Boraga. Maybe the red-haired fellow ought to take a refresher class ... 8)
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:31 pm

Well, even if I got the place wrong (Shiran rather than Shostim) could the first part of the question still be yes? Does Ewen have the proper name or was somebody trying to hide his presence when he was a baby?

True, the only one who recocnized him was the embalmer, but what would have happened if Ewen had not befriended him? Would the body of a Baron have been imolated or would town/royal authorities be notified? At the very least would the embalmer have tried to get money for the disposal of the remains (like a shilling or two from a harper and an elf of looser morals?). Maybe the symbolism was more for his own enjoyment than for the masses to enjoy?

Can Ewen provide what dates he can for events (birth, when the uncle came etc), maybe we can do as Cheryl did and write up a time line to see if we have any major intersections with what we know and what has happened in the past.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:59 pm

Ewen was born in Larane of the year 706 TR. The uncle, Mallenfer of Ravinargh, visited Ewen and his father in the summer of 718 TR, when Ewen had just turned 12. The uncle left in the Autumn of that year.

I'm not sure the implication of the referral to Shiran had anything to do with a family home; I gather that the Halean Temple there is the big one, and holds the omnibus records. The idea of the family being from there contradicts the one, admittedly vague, thing Ewen was told, which was that the Ravinarghs hailed from somewhere west or south or Coranon. As Matt points out, Shiran is in the opposite direction, relative to Coranon.

Having said that, the presence of Slakka's rather deadly assailant in the room of the girl who looks so much like Ewen does make me take a rather more personal view of recent developments :shock:
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:25 pm

Ewen wrote:The uncle, Mallenfer of Ravinargh, visited Ewen and his father in the summer of 718 TR, when Ewen had just turned 12. The uncle left in the Autumn of that year.

Thus well over a year before the Arrenic conquest.

Ewen wrote:The idea of the family being from there contradicts the one, admittedly vague, thing Ewen was told, which was that the Ravinarghs hailed from somewhere west or south or Coranon. As Matt points out, Shiran is in the opposite direction, relative to Coranon.

But not so far away as Shostim so the answer to Dave's question re: Shostim and Quste is basically no.
Matt
The GM

Postby Matt » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:24 pm

Dave requested a bit of history from me, and I thought I'd post it for all. I'll leave the speculating to you folks. :wink:
    ca. 705 - Arren of Melderyn visits Golotha (from Parqu of Aerth)

ca. 705 - Rahel of Aerth born (party estimate of her age)

706 - Ewen of Ravinargh born in Cennbrook, a village south of Coranan

707 - Andasin IV succeeds to the throne of Kanday (common knowledge)

710 - Arren II born in Berema, Kingdom of Emelrene (common knowledge)

712 - King Chunel of Melderyn dies and is succeeded by Darebor II (common knowledge)

712 - War between Kanday and the Thardic Republic, the TR gains Kuseme from Kanday

ca. 716 - Jelesa of Promel born (party estimate of her age)

715 - King Chafin II of Rethem dies and is succeeded by Chafin III (common knowledge)

718 - Ewen's uncle visits him

719 - Arren of Melderyn gathering forces on the island of Anfla (from Teddy's pregame)

New Year's Day, 720 - Arren of Melderyn seizes the Kingdom of Rethem, King Chafin III murdered

Summer, 720 - Thardic Republic attacks Rethem

Spring, 721 - Kanday attacks Rethem

Summer, 723 - Coranan falls, Thardic Republic surrenders

Summer, 725 - King Andasin IV defeated in the field

Winter, 725 - King Arren I and King Andasin IV duel the death on the Norea Plain, Prince Arren and Prince Arabar duel for the Crown, King Arren II victor

Summer, 728 - The Rebellion of the Earl of Tormau

Summer, 730 - The Mascle Murders
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:49 pm

Let me state what I am thinking and let others comment on that. What I thought were separate threads have seemed to come together in Golotha. The song Ewen was paid to sing in Coranan has significance not only to Bevan (Pallisers) but to Ewen himself. I think this due to the Baron being killed by the three mascles killer (of note, the Chafin III coin) and someone sounding very similar going to look at Jelesa (not a definite connection, no calling card left). This means that the party who knew Bevan was supposed to come back in the near future to Coranan wanted Ewen to meet her. Together I think they are supposed to do something. Also in this vein is the murder of not only the Baron of Quste but his entire family has been wiped out. This now seems less than random and has something to do with Bevan and Ewen. I would also like to suppose that whoever it is who hired Ewen had knowlege that Bevan was due back at not too distant a point, something that even Bevan did not know (she was either being considered for a job by Sir Auram or he had already sent the message of the job). This would point to someone who is connected with the current administration. Where this would go I do not know, I am just throwing it out there. If all of these events are combined, that would mean that someone knew Bevan would be leading a party to Golotha well before even that, once again Sir Auram or someone privy to his plans. The night visit to the girl would seem to indicate to me that her being in the city was not planned, why go and just look at her? Maybe to satisfy himself that she looks like Ewen or was something else going to happen (would a deryni be able to plant thoughts into her mind? Would one want to?). Any thoughts about this would be appreciated, it seems to make little sense (why not just look at her in the streets, unless the party looking could be recognized by her or Borana).

Maybe we should look into the timing of things here in Golotha. When did the temple of Halea move from outside the city into the most protected part? Has there been any unpleasantness in the past? I am thinking that perhaps Ewen was sent away to protect him. If he were a target due to who he is, or the offspring (legitimate or not) of someone of note and needed to be hidden away for the childs protection or the parents. It could be that the existence of Ewen and the girl were to prevent someone from doing something. The timing between the uncles visit and the fall of the Kingdom of Rethem is interesting. If he were somehow involved in that government, he could be out of favor or have been killed in the fighting.

Any comments on my thought processes? Any thoughts about any other theories? Look forward to breaking the last threads numbers with this one so everybody participate a whole lot on this one!
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:57 pm

Imarë wrote:I think this due to the Baron being killed by the three mascles killer (of note, the Chafin III coin) and someone sounding very similar going to look at Jelesa (not a definite connection, no calling card left).

Nor anything else from hair color to skill with a dagger. Although if Ewen is counted, harpers with deadly blades are not unknown ...

Imarë wrote:Also in this vein is the murder of not only the Baron of Quste but his entire family has been wiped out. This now seems less than random and has something to do with Bevan and Ewen.

Not sure this follows. True, a lot of people around you guys end up laid out, but your role seems closer to Jessica Fletcher's, as in, "Honey, Jessica Fletcher is coming over for dinner - have we updated the will?"

Imarë wrote:This would point to someone who is connected with the current administration.

Tut, tut! Must you sound so democratic? It ought to along the lines of the government of that most puissant and gracious sovereign majesty, King Arren II.

Imarë wrote:The night visit to the girl would seem to indicate to me that her being in the city was not planned, why go and just look at her?

To your knowledge, she has been here all her life. Nicola indicated so. Her presence should come as no surprise.

Imarë wrote:would a deryni be able to plant thoughts into her mind?

You strongly suspect yes.

Imarë wrote:Would one want to?

Well, now that depends on the person, doesn't it?

Imarë wrote:why not just look at her in the streets

Maybe he was just in town for a show ... :wink:

Imarë wrote:When did the temple of Halea move from outside the city into the most protected part?

It didn't. The Smoking Meken is an old temple that closed. The one inside the city is the older one.

Imarë wrote:Has there been any unpleasantness in the past?

There is no specific unpleasantness in the first five years of Ewen's life (after that, you would expect him to remember being moved if your theory is correct, probably even if younger), although Rethem was a generally unpleasant place in those days. Cennbrook is in Noreashire which is in Kanday. There wasn't a lot of movement across the borders in those days - Kanday and Rethem were enemies.

Imarë wrote:I am thinking that perhaps Ewen was sent away to protect him. If he were a target due to who he is, or the offspring (legitimate or not) of someone of note and needed to be hidden away for the childs protection or the parents.

Damn, the secret's out! OK, I'll come clean. Ewen is the secret son of King Chafin III and the rightful King of Rethem. Now all you have to do is get Arren II to step aside ... :twisted:
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:43 pm

Whew, that timeline sure does have Ewen rubbing elbows with some high-falutin' people. Modesty forbids my speculating on the appropriateness of all that. :wink:

Needless to say, Ewen does not recall having been relocated from Golotha at an early age. Having said that, it seems more imperative than ever to learn more about Jelesa & Borana given last session's developments. And for what it's worth, I tend toward Dave's opinion that Bevan and Ewen's fates are somehow intertwined in all of this. How, or why, seems completely unclear pending further information.

In the meantime, the timeline and our discussions from last session have prompted some thoughts and questions regarding the Agrikans and their role in the balance of power during recent history. When, specifically, did Arren I outlaw the religion? Was it after the 720 coup (prior to the conquest of Tharda), or later in his reign? Could Arren I's banning of the Agrikans have had something to do with his plans for the city of Golotha, for its consolidation under his reign? What was the power structure in Golotha like during Arren I's reign (720-725)? Were the Agrikans absent from the city, and presumably from the Heptarchial Council as well, with the Morgathians running the place, or were the Agrikans operating in secret in collusion with the Morgathians? Or were the Morgathians effectively out of power due to the absence of their Agrikan allies? Why did Arren II reinstate the Agrikans, given that he is publically a Laranian and presumably more likely to hate the Agrikans than, presumably, his father? In what way might Arren II's policy of religious tolerance re the Agrikans have undermined his father's arrangement for how Golotha was to be run?

To my mind, the Morgathian / Agrikan axis is powerful due to a complementarity of strengths, with the Agrikans furnishing a level of military muscle which the Morgathians lack. The undermining of this power axis might have been one of the reasons Arren I outlawed the religion, given that otherwise the city of Golotha might have remained a thorn in his side in Rethem while he went about the business of conquering the two neighboring countries. If so, Arren II changing all that remains quite puzzling, although it can be said at least that the present Kingdom of Tharda was safely established by then. I wonder if his ministers' concern during his absence to investigate the city may be informed, perhaps, by their being more prone to his father's methods of management. Is the Earl of Daenshire (and Sir Auram Graver) acting purely in the interest of the current king? Or is the hand of the former (once and future? :twisted: ) king lurking behind the scenes?

All of which revolves around a central question we have been asking for some time: What is the nature of the present dynamic between Arren II and his father? Our recent speculations suggest that Rahel may be Arren I's natural daughter, which leads one to think it likely she is presently acting as his agent in the city. If any of the above speculations have merit, with whom are we going to throw in our lot? And what are likely to be the consequences of that decision?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:06 pm

Ewen wrote:In the meantime, the timeline and our discussions from last session have prompted some thoughts and questions regarding the Agrikans and their role in the balance of power during recent history. When, specifically, did Arren I outlaw the religion? Was it after the 720 coup (prior to the conquest of Tharda), or later in his reign?

It was practically Royal Decree #1. Among the first acts of Arren I after seizing the throne was to suppress the Agrikans. Of course, at that time, he had the army in Golotha to do it. :twisted:

Ewen wrote:Could Arren I's banning of the Agrikans have had something to do with his plans for the city of Golotha, for its consolidation under his reign? What was the power structure in Golotha like during Arren I's reign (720-725)? Were the Agrikans absent from the city, and presumably from the Heptarchial Council as well, with the Morgathians running the place, or were the Agrikans operating in secret in collusion with the Morgathians? Or were the Morgathians effectively out of power due to the absence of their Agrikan allies? Why did Arren II reinstate the Agrikans, given that he is publically a Laranian and presumably more likely to hate the Agrikans than, presumably, his father? In what way might Arren II's policy of religious tolerance re the Agrikans have undermined his father's arrangement for how Golotha was to be run?

These are excellent questions and may be worthy of pursuit in the proper quarters.

Ewen wrote:To my mind, the Morgathian / Agrikan axis is powerful due to a complementarity of strengths, with the Agrikans furnishing a level of military muscle which the Morgathians lack. The undermining of this power axis might have been one of the reasons Arren I outlawed the religion, given that otherwise the city of Golotha might have remained a thorn in his side in Rethem while he went about the business of conquering the two neighboring countries.

Indeed, the man's political savvy seems to have been highly developed and quite sensitive.

Ewen wrote:All of which revolves around a central question we have been asking for some time: What is the nature of the present dynamic between Arren II and his father? Our recent speculations suggest that Rahel may be Arren I's natural daughter, which leads one to think it likely she is presently acting as his agent in the city. If any of the above speculations have merit, with whom are we going to throw in our lot? And what are likely to be the consequences of that decision?

More excellent questions. Oh my ...
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:09 am

On the notes Matt left on my comments:

I think we are presuming the killer who leaves mascles is the one who was in the perfumers house. This is a coincidence, and I find too few of those to merit letting them by.

As we don't know what the plan revolving in the backround is, I am associating the killing of the Baron and his family with the song and whatever that started. We can also brain storm without this link being made. I have been thinking on how the different elements have been reducing into a single plot rather than separate ones. Anybody else feel this or is it my overactive imagination once again? It was more the Harts who caused the deaths of dinner companions, you could just meet Jessica and die. Much more focused with Johnathan and Jennifer.

By current administration I mean the dynasty that Arren Parkhurst built rather than the Kingdom of Chafin III or the Thardic Republic.

On the girl, I was indicating that her presence here was not known by those we are involved with. It could be a regular occurance that she is visited (maybe one of the household staff let him in regularly). Anybody have thoughts as to why he was there? Maybe the vistor regularly visits the house and either plants or removes thoughts from people (more than just her) perhaps? The vagueness of peoples awareness of the daughter leads me to suspect it might not just be the family. I'm sorry, the Nicola was piqued by the questions but had never thought about them? Maybe there is assiciation with the Lia Kavair and all of them have been modified.

This thought brings up another. The Lia Kavair itself. It sounds like some kind of association is there between the guildmaster (Jaorp) and the man with the mascles but that the association does not seem to follow lower level members of the group (Slakka had no knowlege of who or why and did not recognize the man in the hall, the man I am presuming has something to do the the mascles).

The presence of two temples of Halea in town is very interesting. Ewens mother could have been in the one outside the city. I presume they had different clergy and the members of one might not be on the records of the other. It also begs the question why the temple outside closed down and when. On the possibility of Ewen being moved for his (or others) safety, I am counting on his not remembering, which is why he would know nothing of it (if it is true that is). If I were going to hide somebody, I would not let the actual place of origin out. Ewen could be from somewhere besides where he thinks he is from and not know it. The uncle did, which seems to indicate some planning. Mom had to come from someplace.

As to who would send their child away, it could be a major noble, a minor noble, a rich merchant, a cleric of a temple who wanted their legitimate (or not) child out of the way from something that had either happened or was going to happen. I am sure the city of Golotha was not a nice place under Chafin and there might have been reasons to protect people before this.

In all events, I was just wondering what people think. Is it plausable that our story lines are connected? I am not proposing that Sir Auram is involved, I was thinking a functionary of his or perhaps an intelligence person of another kingdom or group? Any ideas why Bevan would need to be put with Ewen? Could the merchant uncle have been outgoing to more than just merchants on travels?

In thinking about Ewens post, could the M/S connection have something to do with this? If for some reason they were not pleased with you it would seem best to hoof it from the city as fast as possible. There is a connection between the guildmaster of the LK and the Agrikans. I am not sure that Borana has been allowed to know (or remember) what is going on. It could also be that she knows who is involved and having the party on her trail is a whole lot less scary than the man behind the dagger? I think we get the feeling that Arren I does not intend to resume the throne. He has a powerful, well connected son in the place of honor and he is able to go about without fuss and do whatever he wants to. If Arren II let other religions resurface it must be with the knowlege of his father (maybe approval from him also?). One BIG word of warning. If Rahel is either a follower of or a daughter to Arren I, I would not want to try to force he into anything whatsoever. Ardeth had a run in with one of his minions and barly came out alive. They all seem rather touchy if you press the wrong buttons but seem pleasant if you are not bothering them (or being helpful). It seems they are the ones to make that decision however. If we annoy her she could come out swinging and we might not like it. Just because Bevan is the mother of one of Arrens daughters does not mean she is safe if she pushes the wrong buttons. Remember, he let one of his sons kill another and they are blood. Keep this in mind when considering approaching her. She may also just be strictly neutral in this situation (whether she knows what is going on or not). If she is a deryni, she can kill with her mind and nobody would ever know what has happened.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:51 pm

Imarë wrote:I am associating the killing of the Baron and his family with the song and whatever that started.

Is this something in the lyrics or a 'message?' If the latter, what do you suppose the message might be?

Imarë wrote:It was more the Harts who caused the deaths of dinner companions, you could just meet Jessica and die. Much more focused with Johnathan and Jennifer.

Yeah, the only thing worse than an invitation from the Harts would be to arrive and find Jessica Fletcher already there. :shock:

Imarë wrote:By current administration I mean the dynasty that Arren Parkhurst built rather than the Kingdom of Chafin III or the Thardic Republic.

I know, I was merely taking umbrage at your 'republican' terminology. :wink:

Imarë wrote:It could be a regular occurance that she is visited (maybe one of the household staff let him in regularly).

There is no household staff, just Borana, Jelesa, and the apprentice Farla. And Slakka, for the time being ...

Imarë wrote:The presence of two temples of Halea in town is very interesting. Ewens mother could have been in the one outside the city.

It's been an inn for at least three generations. The Smoking Meken would have ceased being a temple long before Ewen's mother was born.

Imarë wrote:In thinking about Ewens post, could the M/S connection have something to do with this? If for some reason they were not pleased with you it would seem best to hoof it from the city as fast as possible.

I'm assuming M/S is actually M/A here. I believe that Cheryl has already suggested a possible link between the Morgathians/Agrikans and the Baron's flight.

Cheryl wrote:But first we have to ask what was the Baron of Quste doing in Golotha with so much ££? This stems from some other thoughts I have been having about the mission which I have been meaning to open a new thread on. (hopefully will soon ). In 728 the Baron of Quste had already sworn his loyalty to the Earl of Tormau. In the rebellion against King Arren II, Lord Tormau also had the Morgathians and the Agrikans on his side. I wonder what the M and A think of the Baron groveling to the King for his miserable little life after Tormau’s defeat? Perhaps the £20 was what he paid on some sort of schedule to them to save his life?

If Sir F killed the cousin unknown who was next in line to inherit, it would seem an easy task to see the Baron killed. How do you do this so as not to have his blood directly on your hands? Give cause for the Morgathians and Agrikans to do the job by stealing the money meant for them.

As good a reason as any to flee the city if you no longer had the money to pay the tab. Saying he could sell his weapons and armor isn't good enough - what nobleman would do that?

Imarë wrote:There is a connection between the guildmaster of the LK and the Agrikans.

Not that you know of - Jarop has a brother who is a Morgathian muckety-muck however.
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:50 pm

Imarë wrote:Could the merchant uncle have been outgoing to more than just merchants on travels?

Assuming you're referring to dear old uncle Mallenfer, who was, to the best of my knowledge, an adventurer and not a merchant.

Dave's final comments on Rahel align with my own concern at the close of the last session that we not rush into a interview with her without sufficient preparation.[/quote]
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:28 pm

On the uncle front, it could be in either family, Ewens or Bevans. She has a whole bunch of cousins already. A lonely man away from home on a long merchant trip might meet a nice girl... All I am inplying here is that we need to keep our minds open. We seem to feel there is some connection between Ewens being hired to sing the song and Bevan. This extends to their families. Can we think of any interesting comparisons between the song and the fall of the Kingdom of Rethem? Before I know I was concentrating on the new kingdom as a whole, could just a part be the answer? Lets go back and look at the song and see.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:21 pm

Imarë wrote:Before I know I was concentrating on the new kingdom as a whole, could just a part be the answer? Lets go back and look at the song and see.

The song "King Andasin's Feast" ostensibly deals with pre-conquest Kanday. If it's reference to a "new-forged realm" is accurate, the kingdom referenced is Kanday, and the king in the tune is Andasin I, the ancestor of the Andasin IV who battled Arren I on the Norea Plain. The events, therefore, took place about a hundred years ago.

But I grant that part or all of the song could be a metaphor for more recent events. The overriding theme of the thing seems to be the vicissitudes of feudalism, and of changing fortunes granted, or withheld, by a ruler. Certainly our friend the Baron suffered his ups and downs in this regard, and Cheryl's theory has addressed the possibility that recent events resulted from the fallout from his involvement in the failed rebellion and subsequent grovelling before the king to retain his barony, perhaps pissing off his former rebellion allies (the Morgathians having been named as the likely suspects here).

If Cheryl's theory is correct, one might imagine that the drama is over, as whoever was angry about the Baron betraying their cause and then not giving them the £22 has certainly taught him a lesson, and now the man is beyond further revenge. It occurs to me that they may still want their diverted money (although if this is the case, perhaps they should have refrained from slitting his throat, and should instead have tried to soak him for more!). More significantly, putting him in the stocks seems a bit ostentatious, and would seem to be sending a message, perhaps to others who owe money to this group. Could other parties be victims of this apparent extortion scheme, if that's what it is? The account of the rebellion lists a Baron of Quiso as having been pardoned by Arren II as well. Should we look into who this fellow is?

As usual, messages appear to be sent, but we're the only ones who seem to receive them. This seems particularly true of the mascles. It seems likely that nobody prior to the physician recognized the Baron in the stocks, or saw his wounds.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:26 pm

Imarë wrote:On the uncle front, it could be in either family, Ewens or Bevans. She has a whole bunch of cousins already.

I misunderstood this and assumed you meant Arvind of Aerth. If you refer to Pallisers, then I should clarify. Bevan's uncle is Sir Alric Palliser, a knight who holds the manor of Towey. She has another uncle who is a knight in a Laranian fighting order. On her mother's side is Sir Arlen's father, the lord of Selaty manor. No merchants at all.

Dwilith's father Vestam Palliser is a merchant and he would be Bevan's cousin somewhat removed.
Matt
The GM

Postby Bevan » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:01 pm

Imarë wrote:Anybody have thoughts as to why he was there? Maybe the vistor regularly visits the house and either plants or removes thoughts from people (more than just her) perhaps?

So you are thinking the mascle killer is Deryni? Not sure what evidence we have that we can speculate further on this.

Imarë wrote: The vagueness of peoples awareness of the daughter leads me to suspect it might not just be the family. I'm sorry, the Nicola was piqued by the questions but had never thought about them? Maybe there is assiciation with the Lia Kavair and all of them have been modified.

Wait this sounds familiar... oh I know. I was thinking of that movie Men In Black. :lol:

What if he was just looking for something that he thinks the robbers took because Slakka was there? I think we should determine the well-being of the other 2 people involved. There is also the potential that the 4th person who was on lookout duty saw the murder of Sir Felkar.

Ewen wrote:(although if this is the case, perhaps they should have refrained from slitting his throat, and should instead have tried to soak him for more!)

If the robbery and the murder of Sir Felkar are two separate events, then is it possible the Baron's capture and murder are actually two separate events as well. What if our 3 mascles murderer coordinated something with the abductors the way he potentially coordinated with the LK? When one is done with him the other can have him ... Perhaps they simply didn't care what happened to the Baron.

Here is a list of people who fit the criteria which is access to horses and a place to hide the Baron for a few days:

Agrikans Need to prove
Morgathians with the Agrikans Need to prove but has more potential than the Agrikans alone.
Rahel We still have no idea where she stands.
VIII Legion I think we all agree this most unlikely
Sir Blors Seems unlikely as discussed in the session.

If we can determine motives if any for the above we can narrow down who we need to look into and begin to determine how to look into who has the biggest motive.
Bevan
Squire
Squire

Postby Lord Ewen » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:41 pm

Bevan wrote:What if he was just looking for something that he thinks the robbers took because Slakka was there? I think we should determine the well-being of the other 2 people involved.

The well-being of one is not in dispute, given that various parts of him are nailed to the ironmongery outside of Sir Zaurial's stronghold. :-& A conservative guess as to the identity of the third robber would be Jeremiz, the small greasy fellow who was hanging with Slakka and Lenesque at the Silk Hat. We can certainly look him up and see if he has experienced any nocturnal visitors, but I confess to being disinclined to think that the intruder who stabbed Slakka was interested in searching the house for stolen goods. If he was, why not seize the moment upon incapacitating Slakka, disable or kill Borena and Jelesa, and then turn the place upside down? Unless he had already located his wanted item in Jelesa's room. But if something from the robbery was in there, why would Slakka not have mentioned it, given that he seemed genuinely willing to talk when we interviewed him? Not that these ideas rule out your theory here, but to my mind they make it less likely.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Bevan » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:45 pm

Ewen wrote:The well-being of one is not in dispute, given that various parts of him are nailed to the ironmongery outside of Sir Zaurial's stronghold.

No, that particular deviant's well-being was not in question :!:
Bevan
Squire
Squire

Postby Imarë » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:44 am

Well, I like that. They are practically throwing Imare at Mogger and then, after he is killed (due to the group slipping frat boys 50 GALLONS of brew may I add), they call him a deviant ](*,) . Now we resume the program already in progress...

I doubt the intruder was there to rob her, nothing was taken and as Slakka said, she is protected. Why would someone go into the house then. Matt has already hinted that she is a known quantity in town and so why would someone go in for a look. We have already had our minds modified (to some extent) when we went to deliver Lord Morgans message in Cherafir (remember Bevan not being able to talk to the priest?). Due to all of these plus Imare's natural paranoia make her jump to the intruder being a deryni. It would also make the break in easier, remember Lord Morgan opening up a barred gate when we took the last castle in Orbaal?

On this note, further speculation about Rahel. Someone commented that it could be that Rahel is the daughter of Arren I. This would make her a deryni also, something else to keep in mind when planning to go to tea.

The list of those who could have enough men to ambush the Baron is not complete. The Aerths (without Rahel) seem to have men at arms also. I believe there are a large number of merchants who keep a large guard. Even the temple of Halea has a large number of armed men and could have fielded a large enough body of men. You must also add whoever has the territory north of the river (Sir Blors authority does not go above the river as I remember, another sheriff must hold sway on the other side of Golotha). I am sure that there are manors with knights or even other nobles who hold land near to the city. What I am getting at here is that this a good sized number of groups had the ability to seize the Baron and I don't think that it is fruitful to get at who it was from this end.

I would really recommend bringing Sir Tovar at least into the secret about the Baron. Ewen mentioned the other Baron who came back into the fold after the rebellion. If whatever happened is due to the events then, I believe it would be our duty to warn a noble in good standing (if not reputation) of possible danger. If something happens and we have not done what we can (and it gets out), our reputation may suffer.

As it is now quarter to one (am) and I need to get up just past 6 to be at work, I will sign off now.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:57 am

Imarë wrote:The list of those who could have enough men to ambush the Baron is not complete. The Aerths (without Rahel) seem to have men at arms also. I believe there are a large number of merchants who keep a large guard. Even the temple of Halea has a large number of armed men and could have fielded a large enough body of men. You must also add whoever has the territory north of the river (Sir Blors authority does not go above the river as I remember, another sheriff must hold sway on the other side of Golotha). I am sure that there are manors with knights or even other nobles who hold land near to the city.

This is all true, but recall that both Imarë and Bevan determined that a large number of horses were involved in the 'adbuction' of the Baron. Any suspects must be able to do more than field a force of infantry - they must be able to field cavalry. This eliminates almost all merchants in the city from suspicion in the abduction.

The Sheriff north of the city is based in Shostim. You haven't run across him yet, but Sir Baris will note from his time in Shostim that he seems content there. 8)
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:26 am

I was trying to point out the the ambushers went to the site of the attack by horseback but did not fight that way. To my mind that would bring many back into the suspect catagory as they could have been regular horses (which I would guess would be available to anybody). As for the northern Sheriff, I was not implying he had done anything, it was just in his territory and he would have access to horses. Others are also less likely to do this attack. The VIII Legion for instance. Why would they do an ambush in secret (or an ambush at all) and then have it found. We should just keep in mind, to my thinking, that we have not even met every possible suspect (although I do believe we have done so whoever it might be).
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:59 am

Imarë wrote:I was trying to point out the the ambushers went to the site of the attack by horseback but did not fight that way. To my mind that would bring many back into the suspect catagory as they could have been regular horses (which I would guess would be available to anybody).

True, but not typically in great numbers even for the wealthiest merchant. Horses are expensive to buy, expensive to keep, and require enormous amounts of attention. A very wealthy merchant might keep one or two as a draft animal but would not likely have even a riding palfrey himself. And most horses will be kept at the ostler's common outside the city - there would be no way to prevent him from noticing that a large number of horses were taken out at once. Lastly, the nature of the attack suggests either ambush or 'hot pursuit' which means laying one's hands on horses quickly. Remember, they have to be saddled - one does not keep horses in harness when the beasts are not working - so they would need to be close by for the latter possibility.

This basically eliminates anyone as a suspect in the Baron's kidnapping who does not have ready access to at least 6 horses in their own bailiwick.

Imarë wrote:We should just keep in mind, to my thinking, that we have not even met every possible suspect (although I do believe we have done so whoever it might be).

This is almost certainly true, although Cheryl's list seems fairly complete:

Cheryl wrote:
    Agrikans
    Morgathians with the Agrikans
    Rahel
    VIII Legion
    Sir Blors

However, it's unclear whether the Morgathians have the military muscle on their own to pull this off so if involved, they'd almost certainly be teamed with one of the others, most likely the Agrikans.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

On the basis of the horses I would say that the hot pursuit idea is not one which I go for. As Matt said, the horses are not kept saddled etc. For Sir Blors to make it, he would not only have to find out, saddle the requsite force, then go through the city to follow. Same with the VIII Legion (by the way, did Bevan notice if they keep a large number of horses in the castle when she went through?). I think it more likely that somebody was expecting the Baron to bolt for whatever reason (either the death of Sir Felkar or the money). The Agrikans have shown that they are not averse to causing mayhem in the city and the ploy to lure the Baron out of the city seems a little circumspect for the breed which we have met. The Morgathians seem more likely. They like intimidation (everybody is afraid to even be seen during the monthly progression to the hill because they are intimidated), they seem to like to act from behind the scenes, in Golotha they have the Agrikans as the face of local authority. Also the fear factor used in the attacks seems wrong for either Sir Blors or the VIII Legion. As Matt has pointed out, the King knew of the treason of the Baron and had forgiven him. Money, in and of itself, is not evidence of anything so why would the Baron flee? From what I infer, any official problems would be between the King and the Baron and perhaps the Lord Chancellor if the King were not in the city. Would the Lord Chancellor reverse what the King had done in pardoning the Baron? I think it unlikely. When Ewen went to visit Rahel, were there horses kept in the compound? If not, it would put Rahel lower on my list. We also are thinking she is a follower of Lord Morgan, I think this kind of action is too subtle for him. Besides, if as we suppose, Arren II knows his father is alive and helping him, why would he do something like this? A further charge of treason, someone hired to slip poison into his cup, a nightime visit like what happened to Chafin III would be more likely.

I am liking the religous aspect more in this, we should try to see if mascles have anything to do with any of them. Bevan should probably search her memory as to whether or not she has had any dealings with either of these churches in the past or know of stories from her family of dealings. Ewen should also try to remember anything which has a connection to what might be either of these churches. A clue for somebody must be included in the song somewhere, we just need to find it.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:13 pm

Imarë wrote:On the basis of the horses I would say that the hot pursuit idea is not one which I go for.

Consider that if it is hot pursuit or an ambush that might change your view on who. More on this below.

Imarë wrote:did Bevan notice if they keep a large number of horses in the castle when she went through?).

Wouldn't be much of a castle without horses. You may assume there are more there than anyplace but the ostler.

Imarë wrote:The Morgathians seem more likely. They like intimidation (everybody is afraid to even be seen during the monthly progression to the hill because they are intimidated), they seem to like to act from behind the scenes, in Golotha they have the Agrikans as the face of local authority.

Remember, so far as you know the Morgathians have no military muscle whatsoever. They rely on the Agrikans for that. It is highly unlikely that the Morgathians kidnapped the Baron themselves.

Imarë wrote:From what I infer, any official problems would be between the King and the Baron and perhaps the Lord Chancellor if the King were not in the city. Would the Lord Chancellor reverse what the King had done in pardoning the Baron? I think it unlikely.

It's not unlikely - it's not possible. Any subject who so presumed upon the Royal Prerogative would soon be futilely begging for mercy himself.

Imarë wrote:When Ewen went to visit Rahel, were there horses kept in the compound?

He didn't notice any specifically, but there was a large barn. It seems unlikely that she keeps a lot of cows ...

Imarë wrote:We also are thinking she is a follower of Lord Morgan, I think this kind of action is too subtle for him.

This is an astonishing statement. :shock:

Arren of Melderyn is among the most subtle men of the age. True, he sometimes wields a blunt instrument. But then he is capable of using any tool, any approach to further his goals. Do you suppose that his coup d'etat took place on a whim after a night of drinking? He must have laid the groundwork for years before that night with so far as you know not the slightest suspicion on the part of Chafin III. To say something is too subtle for him is to say that you don't actually understand the man. :?
Matt
The GM

Next

Return to Plots Have I Laid ...