Baris' Bane

Discussions regarding plotlines, paranoid musings, and other related ruminations

Moderator: Imarë

Baris' Bane

Postby Imarë » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:56 pm

I thought since there is little to talk about concerning the upcoming events (Thilisa will or won't want Sir Ewen, the ball is in her court), I would go back to the Khuzan complex. My thoughts concerning how it became abandoned will now come forward (with some of the promptings after session last time meeting).

Lets go back to when we think that the complex was in operation. This was before the establishment of Kaldor. One of the significant events was the movement of Lothrim, known as the Foulspawner (for those of you who do not know, he is the "inventor" of the gargun, hence the foulspawn). He attacked the Khuzan looking for something called the Penultimate Tome (some kind of book he was convinced that they had). Many Khuzan settlements far away from the strongholds of Azadmere and Kustan were being drawn back in (Lothrim and his merry its were active in what became Kaldor). I think the Khuzan decided to close down the mine and draw back to one of the larger settlements. The evacuation started in an orderly fashion. The main doors were sealed with care (the plug in the hillside was not a rush job). The secondary entrance was left open for their retreat. The next step would have been to collapse the mine shaft (if we can't have it, nobody can. Typical Khuzan attitude and I believe a common practice when shutting down a mine). They were not fully ready to leave yet (all the personal effects and furniture were left in place and not removed, which would have been standard practice). I think that somehow the collapse of the mine caused some seismic activity larger than they expected (causing the damage to the brewery above). I presume they were all able to evacuate through the back door (as shown by the lack of bodies, if the vlasta moved in, the bodies would already have been bones and thus inedible). I think that the collapse happened at night. If it were dark outside, they would have needed torches, which all happen to be gone from their places in the complex. Something happened to them while outside, preventing them from getting their possessions from within or correctly sealing the other entrance. My guess would be that the gargun (mentioned above) attacked the now defenseless dwarves on their doorstep as it were and either wiped them out or somehow prevented the Khuzan authorities from finishing the job. In Azadmere there are probably records of this complex and that it went quiet (or was wiped out) but no expedition ever returned to find out for sure. They were probably taken up by the Carnage at Kiraz, a Khuzan city wiped out, and the subsequent chase of Lothrim and his final end to care about one little complex. The doors had been lightly covered and thus were able to confuse the gargun into not finding the complex (not relly Rhodes scholars at the best of times). Does anybody have any comments or additions to this?
"Hello Sir Baris. Come and play with us. Come and play with us, Sir Baris. Forever... and ever... and ever."
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Imarë » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:14 pm

I'm seeing real interest here...not.
"Hello Sir Baris. Come and play with us. Come and play with us, Sir Baris. Forever... and ever... and ever."
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:22 pm

Sorry, I have been intending to post a response, honest...

Before commenting on the Khuzan / gargun theory, however, I would venture to take issue with your prefatory remark. I by no means believe Thilisa's decision is foregone, and I imagine some of what we do in the days leading up to the wedding may have an impact on Thilisa's selection. Certainly, poor behavior on Ewen's part (such as sleeping with the innkeeper's bevy of chambermaids) will impact Thilisa's choice, and I can't help but think some creative intriguing on our part prior to Camissa's wedding might nudge things in our direction as well. Any ideas along these directions could be posted here...

As for the Foulspawn Hypothesis for the dwarven abandonment of the mine, I have no objection to your account, which seems fairly sound overall. A nice analysis. Of course, we don't know if the damage to the brewery occurred as an immediate consequence of collapsing the mine tunnel or whether it took place some time afterward, but I guess the issue is fairly academic at this remove. That the Khuzan were in a bit of a hurry is agreed; dwarves are not known for their indifference to chests of coin and ingots of precious metals. On the other hand, I don't know that one requires two causes for haste in a parsimonious theory: seismic event and gargun threat. One should do. Perhaps at the time of the collapse Khuzan experts declared the mine temporarily unsafe to re-enter, and they thus abandoned their remaining treasure. I therefore remain agnostic as to whether the former denizens of this mine ever made it to Azadmere alive. Perhaps they did, but then gargun overrun of the region prevented their subsequent return?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:06 am

Sir Ewen wrote:Before commenting on the Khuzan / gargun theory, however, I would venture to take issue with your prefatory remark. I by no means believe Thilisa's decision is foregone, and I imagine some of what we do in the days leading up to the wedding may have an impact on Thilisa's selection. Certainly, poor behavior on Ewen's part (such as sleeping with the innkeeper's bevy of chambermaids) will impact Thilisa's choice, and I can't help but think some creative intriguing on our part prior to Camissa's wedding might nudge things in our direction as well. Any ideas along these directions could be posted here...

From my perspective this is the key passage and I do believe discussion here would yield value. It is more than a few days until the wedding, there are other suitors in town, Thilisa is likely yo be weighing her options, and may yet be influenced. The ball may be in her court, but that doesn't mean no one can snatch it away. :wink:

Not that the analysis of the mine isn't of interest - it is - but it is also as Van says, academic at this point.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:22 pm

Sir Ewen's comments remind me of the politicians creed: Don't be caught in bed with a dead woman or a live boy. There is always the option of having Cekeya pay nighttime visits to the other potential candidates...

As to the two events on the Khuzan. There seem to be two phases to the evacuation. One is ordered and everything done correctly (the sealing of the doors). The other seems to be one of haste, leaving everything and not finishing the job of sealing the mine. If the Khuzan in Azadmere know about this mine, they probably think the gargun looted it or the dwarves were wiped out after leaving with all their goods and chattels, which the gargun would have. In either event, what we found (monetarily) would not justify an expedition to be sent to find out.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:22 pm

Having all the other suitors die might cast a pall over the wedding festivities, but I am not opposed to contriving less obvious pitfalls into which they might plunge. Perhaps Imarë might volunteer to be caught in flagrante delicto with one of them? :twisted:

Unfortunately for the purpose of planning here, we are as yet unable to name a single one of these competitors for the lady's favor, and ascertaining the same should be our first priority next session. But that doesn't mean we can't think up a few caltrops to cast in their path, once we know who they are.

In the meantime, we do know one or two of the non-contender attendees, such as the Baron of Kolorn, and Sir Prehil Firith. Kolorn is a cardboard figure to us thus far, basically a lecher whose estranged and promiscuous wife has known Sir Baris in the carnal sense of the word. He doesn't like that we got the better suite at the inn. The Earl of Vemion is his liege. Sir Prehil, however, is a complex guy, and we have already learned that he can be a disastrously loose cannon when in his cups, but a friendship of sorts exists with Sir Ewen, and his father is an important Baron in the south.

Was Sir Rohn mentioned last session? I can't recall whether he is expected or no. Strange if he was to miss this one, I should think.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:11 pm

I think that Sir Ewen is in a good position vis a vis Thilisa. Your housing is better than that of a Baron (an important one at that). Since he expected these particular rooms if not in the castle itself, that seems to point to their being the best available in town. Sir Ewen (other than the possible matrimonial option) is just not that important. He holds four manors (3 of which used to be hers) but I think that she looks favorably upon him. His telling her his actual lineage (rather than the pubic bio image) and that any children would have the blood of the Parkhursts running through its veins (illegitimate or not) is not to be scoffed at. While daddy may be reviled, it is the blood of kings (both of Tharda and Melderyn). To be on the crude side, Thilisa is looking for good breeding stock. Sir Ewen fits the bill. He is not important enough (in public at least) to have a great impact on her designs and does not have entanglements with other houses which might want to try to control her (and thus the Earldom). Avoiding social gaffs is very important. I think the gift is enough for one of Sir Ewens standing (basing his gifts on what he has gotten in Kaldor officially rather than what he has garnered in other fashions. If there is something that Sir Ewen needs to keep up his image, there is the common fund to be drawn upon and Imare would be more than happy to add to this if needed (at least a couple of thousand pence). Would it be proper for Sir Ewen to hold a social gathering in the inn? Invite those of note to attend a small party. Try to be socially active in town (Filen could be a good guide in the social niceties here).

It would also not surprise me to learn that Thilisa has some idea that Sir Ewen put the whammy on the king. She knows he has mental powers (the demonstration) and the kings reactions do not seem to fit the occasion (the new Earl of Osel seems to have really been trying to put a monkey wrench into the works). The concept of a deryni child would, I think, also be of interest to her. Having the little adder skulking about might be a backup plan (if she decides on someone else, an accident can be arranged before the wedding or shortly thereafter, placing her in the same position as before).

with Sir Ewens record, I would not advise standing under her window and singing to her...
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:51 pm

I am pleased that you feel sanguine about my chances, and indeed I agree with your general analysis. The Deryni blood is a wild card, given its strangeness, but she has had plenty of time to reflect upon that angle, and I agree that the blood of kings is not a thing to be dismissed lightly.

I suppose we will know more once we acertain the identifies of my competition. At that point, a priority must be to weigh their likely chances against Sir Ewen. If we think (as you suspect) that Sir Ewen is in the lead, so to speak, then perhaps it would be foolish to attempt to gild the lily by interfering with them, as Thilisa might look askance if she suspects. Especially, as you point out, if she already suspects Sir Ewen influenced the king. Based upon what we know of her, she does not seem the type to embrace skullduggery in her swains. She was apparently true to her first husband, surviving his extended absence with her reputation intact, virtuously fended off the king's advances, and seemed to be a bit, shall we say, traditional in her style of courtship toward Sir Ewen, wanting a song, a rose, and a defender. My hunch, therefore, is that thuggery (even if untraceable to Sir Ewen) might make her uneasy even if it arouses just a touch of suspicion.

On the other hand, if Sir Ewen is the odds-on favorite at this point, the competition might seek to frame or embarrass him, so we need to be alert for this possibility. A ham-handed attempt to unsaddle Sir Ewen might backfire on an opponent, but if it succeeded Sir Ewen's chances might be ruined.

And remember, advantage or disadvantage might impact Thilisa's opinion, but there is also the Earl her father and other family members to consider. An event which presents Sir Ewen poorly to the Earl would be disaster as well.

And Minarsis is Thilisa'a girlhood home, and her sister is getting married, which makes one wonder who else might be floating around Minarsis this week: childhood friends, daughters of other noble families, former castle attendants, confidants from her privy chamber, etc? We need to at least make a strategic decision: do we attempt to poke our noses into these possibilities, with the attendant risk of Thilisa detecting and feeling manipulated, or should Sir Ewen attempt to stay above it all and play defense?

Finally, one random question: does Cekiya know if the Lia Kavair operates in Minarsis, or whether her church is active?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:25 pm

Does a bear scat in the woods? I think the guild operates everywhere there is potential profit. As to the other, I think people disappearing with no trace or having bodies found would be counter productive. A large city (Tashal for instance) could handle it but not this area I think.

As to looking into Thilisa's past, what would be the use? I doubt she has confidants that would be willing to talk so little or nothing would be gained and, as you pointed out, might be looked on wrongly by her or her father. I would keep a good number of alibi witnesses around as much as possible (other than the party members) just to be sure.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:56 pm

Indeed.

I was only asking about Lia Kavair and such as an unusual source of Minarsis info & scuttlebutt for Cekiya to probe, not to contract a killing. I mean, good heavens, I used to take care of that sort of thing myself, in the dark days of my youth :twisted:
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:17 pm

Sir Ewen wrote:Finally, one random question: does Cekiya know if the Lia Kavair operates in Minarsis, or whether her church is active?

As to the former she would have no idea, on the latter question, the answer is no.
Matt
The GM

Return to Plots Have I Laid ...