After Lenesque

Discussions regarding plotlines, paranoid musings, and other related ruminations

Moderator: Imarë

Postby Matt » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:21 pm

Imarë wrote:Would they mind us sending him on a trip to see the boss?

Navites are notoriously indifferent to their so-called laity. They are more likely to interpret the action as Naveh calling in one of his own for his just reward. :twisted:
Matt
The GM

Postby Sir Baris » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:41 pm

Ewen wrote:Interestingly, Ewen claimed to Zaurial that he was responsible for Lenesque's death, taking apparent full responsibility for it (and Zaurial responded with a grave comment about how dangerous Ewen is). If Jarop lays the blame at Ewen's doorstep specifically, then we'll know where he got that information from. 8-[

If you are implying we will know he got the info. from Zauriel, I disagree. If I remember correctly, Ewen told Zauriel in a crowded room that he (Ewen) had killed Errol, so there are many witnesses. If that is not what you meant, my apoligies.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:53 pm

Sir Baris wrote:If I remember correctly, Ewen told Zauriel in a crowded room that he (Ewen) had killed Errol, so there are many witnesses. If that is not what you meant, my apoligies.

This is true, although the witnesses are basically either Zaurial's fellow Agrikans or servants. Any such leak could not be traced directly to Sir Z, but definitely to his household. 8)
Matt
The GM

Postby Sir Baris » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:27 pm

Matt wrote:
Sir Baris wrote:If I remember correctly, Ewen told Zauriel in a crowded room that he (Ewen) had killed Errol, so there are many witnesses. If that is not what you meant, my apoligies.

This is true, although the witnesses are basically either Zaurial's fellow Agrikans or servants. Any such leak could not be traced directly to Sir Z, but definitely to his household. 8)

Maybe ultimately it will, but what if one of those underlings tell someone in the bar, who tells his wife, and they are overheard by her thief lover hiding in the closet, who tells Jarop? We can't really *blame* Zauriel, or say that he "leaked" the information, which is what I was trying to get at.

It would be interesting to know if Jarop thinks it was Ewen who killed Zauriel or if it was all of us, because that could tell us something about the extent/ability of his information network. IE, he's good at hearing things but not necessarily seeing everything.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Imarë » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:56 pm

I think he will know it was Bevan's party who killed Jeremiz and Evil Erol, we set it up the one on Evil Erol and I don't think Jarop will think an accident happened having nothing to do with Erol. I do not believe we left any witnesses, but who knows what is in the shadows of these alleys. The physical evidence in front of Sir Z will cast doubts on Ewen's story. Erol got an arrow in the face and Ewen has no bow. In either event, I don't think Sir Z will look on Ewen the same way again and may be more wary or check him out more fully. Much as it is with the condition of Sir Felkar, there are a whole lot of people who it could be (in my opinion).
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Sir Baris » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:16 pm

Imarë wrote: The physical evidence in front of Sir Z will cast doubts on Ewen's story. Erol got an arrow in the face and Ewen has no bow.

Hm. I hadn't thought of that, good point.
Vemion delenda est.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Imarë » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:30 pm

Bad pun Sir Baris.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:09 pm

The above points are well taken. Please note, though, that in my two previous posts I was referring to a flow of information from Sir Zaurial's group to Jarop, not necesarily from Sir Z in specific. I think we have amply discovered that relations between the key groups and players in Golotha are never simple. Granted, Teddy's example highlights the perils of oversimplifying a conclusion based on Jarop thinking Ewen did it alone. And Dave points out the arrow wound, which I hadn't thought of, although I wonder how clearly the resultant gash from the bowshot would signify the nature of the wound (especially after the decapitated head had been tossed about quite a bit by the exuberant Agrikans).

My suggestion was simply predicated on the desire to gather another piece of (admitedly imperfect) information to add to what we already have. As the risk of Jarop thinking (for a period of time, prior to our making things right with him) that Ewen offed Jeremiz redounds primarily on Ewen's safety, I certainly am not going to insist on such a strategy if we think the resulting information would be of little value...
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:11 am

Imarë wrote:Bad pun Sir Baris.

I dunno, from what I saw, it was an awfully good point. :lol:
Matt
The GM

Postby Matt » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:15 am

Ewen wrote:I wonder how clearly the resultant gash from the bowshot would signify the nature of the wound (especially after the decapitated head had been tossed about quite a bit by the exuberant Agrikans).

Which begs the question of would Jarop have to visit Sir Z's place to even see the head. By this point, it may be Mogger's neighbor ... :shock:

However, at least one arrow went astray and you did not retrieve it, so from that alone, it would seem that a bow was involved.
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:42 am

Best not to speak of arrows going astray, perhaps, at least within earshot of Sir Baris #-o

Meanwhile, I gather that the concensus is to smooth things over with Jarop sooner rather than later. It may be worth considering that, instead of employing the information we purchased from him (and have yet to pay for), we instead took out Lenesque rather quickly and (friendly fire considerations aside) with relative ease. If Jarop sees it this way as well, this may be another quarter which will now view us as being more seriously dangerous than perhaps they previously considered.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:10 pm

I had another thought which I wanted to get some feedback on. I find it very odd that Slakka should just happen to wake up to a random sound. Could it be that the attack on Slakka had been planned? The nature of the wound, a thrust through the body, would probably kill anybody but it might make the process long, drawn out and painful. He gained access to the house with no trouble and moved to the third floor without making anybody aware of his presence. Was it a misstep or did he make the noise on purpose to bring Slakka into the hall? This would, to me, tally with the "worm" comment the attacker made. We had been told that the father of Jelesa had been killed by Borana's father but could he have had the murder commited (by either Slakka or his grandfather)? Let me know if anybody thinks this attack is suspicious (especially with the "presence" across the square, waiting for the end of Slakka, enjoying the pain?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:45 pm

Imarë wrote:I had another thought which I wanted to get some feedback on. I find it very odd that Slakka should just happen to wake up to a random sound. Could it be that the attack on Slakka had been planned? The nature of the wound, a thrust through the body, would probably kill anybody but it might make the process long, drawn out and painful.

The wound had a strong likelihood of fatality - but not the certainty. The nature of infection would be understood by very few in Medieval times, and was as often as not attributed to the dreaded 'evil humors.' Further, recall that Slakka's assailant had his back to him which strikes me as a very foolish thing to do if one was lying in wait or looking for him. After all, it's not like the mysterious intruder had looked into all the rooms and then left. He looked into one room - Jelesa's - and then was heading down the stairs. Only Slakka's attack from the rear turned him back - fatally for Slakka but that could not be a certainty at that time.

Imarë wrote:We had been told that the father of Jelesa had been killed by Borana's father but could he have had the murder commited (by either Slakka or his grandfather)? Let me know if anybody thinks this attack is suspicious (especially with the "presence" across the square, waiting for the end of Slakka, enjoying the pain?

Slakka was singing like a canary and your impression would be that if he or his grandfather had done it he would have told you. He specifically stated that Borana's father killed the journeyman which may not be true, but you have no reason to think that Slakka was lying about his own knowledge unless you think he was lying about other things.

By the same token, he made no mention of any sort of encounter with the intruder such as Ewen and Sir Baris. Remember, they were filled with fear, and had to make a conscious effort to even stay put. Slakka would probably have mentioned anything like this.
Matt
The GM

Postby Bevan » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:12 pm

Ewen wrote:it would probably behoove us to make things right with Jarop (that's Bevan's gig, I believe :) ).

All over it. I'll visit Jarop on the next day (or evening depending on what we decide will be best) with £3 rather than £2 to make up for his loss. I'll give him a simple explanation that the "Erol issue" was taken care of sooner than expected and that Jeremiz was just in the way. I'm not sure he will just tell us what he knows and where he heard it from.
Bevan
Squire
Squire

Postby Bevan » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:49 pm

Imarë wrote:I find it very odd that Slakka should just happen to wake up to a random sound.

I find it quite likely that a killer of his calibre would hear a noise. To be accomplished at his chosen profession a keen sense of observation and hearing would be in order, along with his skills with weapons.

Imarë wrote:He gained access to the house with no trouble and moved to the third floor without making anybody aware of his presence.

I also don't think we should not discount the apprentice having a hand in letting him in. Look how easily she let Ewen and Imarë in. Perhaps she is a little naive in her youth. And I think the reason Borana does not know how he got in is because, well let's face it, that just is not the sort of thing you tell your employer.

I also think Ewen should pay a visit to Borana's to make sure all is well after the cold, eerie vibe Ewen and Sir Baris felt from the guy outside her place. Maybe Ewen can even get the apprentice off to side and question her in his most charming and persuasive way 8) about the events that took place the evening of the stabbing.
Bevan
Squire
Squire

Postby Bevan » Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:16 pm

Here is a thought. We found Lenesque's home, but where did Slakka and Jeremiz live? There may be more to profit both in £ (1320d was the share from the Felkar robbery) and knowledge. Besides the £ we should really learn more about the both of them. Of the four in the "gang" we seem to have the least amount of knowledge of Jeremiz.

First thing in the morning I wouldn't mind a chat with the household staff to see what they know. This may not be the best source for information, but they are the most convenient at the moment. If anyone can offer other sources that would be great. This may also be another item for Ewen to discuss with the apprentice Farla. :wink:
Bevan
Squire
Squire

Postby Imarë » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:16 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I will not belabor the points I made. I am still looking at some kind of connection to explain the "worm" comment.

On the Jarop front, I would not reccomend saying his guy is worth £1. I would explain that in the course of taking out Erol, his friend stood up with him and we were forced to eliminate him as well. I think Jarop would respond best to the soft touch. Ask him what it would take to set things right and then negotiate if his terms seem stiff. He may be seeing how far we are willing to go.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:34 am

Sound ideas from Bevan, and Lord knows Ewen needs to practice his technique with the ladies. =P~

Oh, you meant talk to her. Very well...

Given the rather stern look Borana gave Farla when she let us in, as well as Borana's general guardedness, I think it would behoove Ewen to have this conversation with Farla outside the household, if possible. Ewen could call in the morning, find out from Farla whether she goes out to buy supplies or what-not during the day, gets a lunch-break, whatever, and entice her perhaps with further news about her cousin Parmen in Coranan. I could hope to find out more about the household as you suggest, but it might also be helpful to dig around a bit about cousin Parmen, on the theory that it might be unwise to overfocus entirely on Golotha when the opportunity presents itself to obtain data which might be helpful whenever we get back to Coranan.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:11 pm

Some small thought on housekeeping details. When it comes time to report to Sir Auram, I propose that not the whole group goes back to Coranan. Until we know one way or the other about whether or not we will be able to keep the house, we are squatters. If we leave, the door is open for somebody to come in and 'take away what we have rightfully stolen' (can anybody place the dialogue?). In addition, if we are permitted to keep the house, I would recommend that we arrange for guards from outside of Golotha. Sir Auram could be asked if he had any preference for somebody to be a guard (giving himself somebody in the city with cover it he wished). The other possibility would be someone from a Legion in Corana willing to relocate or possibly from Heroth or the environs (giving us familial ties, not just money).

One avenue we could take with Sir Auram is his spy (considered in glowing terms if we believe the PR on the other website) with a more established base in the city to keep an eye on developments for him. He might not wish this, but the option I believe should be given.

Anybody else have any ideas along these lines?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Bevan » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:59 pm

I share Dave's concern about leaving the property unattended. We could leave behind Dascomb to watch the property. He most likely wouldn't like the idea and I'm not sure Bevan would be crazy about this idea either.

I was thinking of asking Jarop for some assistance here. I know the first thought is he is the LK how can he be trusted? I think in this instance he can be. He knows who Bevan is working for and if he wants to maintain the level of freedom he has in Golotha he wouldn't want to double-cross her which would in turn be an act against the crown.

If we do get the property then we will need to hire someone to protect the property. Also, I think it would really impress Dwilith when he returns to find we have a house in Golotha. \:D/
Bevan
Squire
Squire

Postby Imarë » Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:24 pm

I think leaving an NPC would be the same as leaving nobody. If we are that concerned about the property we need to leave a real person. On the other hand, giving a report to Sir Auram is not like bearding a dragon in his hole. I believe any trouble would come from the Golotha end. Bevan must be there to report. Sir Baris, if he is to continue with the party would probably need to be looked at first hand also. Since Ewen wishes to look for information of his mother at Shiran it might make sense for him to go also but I don't know if the two trips should go together. Imare could stay with no problem. If we get the house, we have right of title and a more substancial position. If Sir Auram has the title transferred to us, the house would be ours in spite of everything done in Golotha since but if he says to look after it ourselves, we would need posession. Once we have that, there is no problem.

On the Jarop front, I do not believe we want to have the guildmaster of the Lia Kavair looking out for our rights. Keep friendly with him, pay him what he wishes for Jeremiz but I don't know how far to trust him (Evil Erol is one of his guildsman and he sold him for £2). Just because he is currently friendly does not mean he is tame (look at what happened with Sigfried and Roy in Las Vegas, to me an apt metaphor). We are in the shadows of the government, I doubt any action against us would be considered treason, especially if nobody dies (our GM is fond of Machiavelli and I think believes in real politik).

For after we get the property is why I suggested Sir Auram. He can assign men he trusts to be eyes and ears in the city or to provide back up if there is more trouble. If he has no one he would like to put there, I still suggest somebody from either Heroth or where your cousin has his manor. A family tie would be nice, not somebody from Theron (from what I am learning Bevan would not approve at all), but somebody who knows the whole family and would be loyal to a member of it. A former Legionaire like Dascomb for instance would also be appropriate. I would be suspect of a local hire where his loyalties lay.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:50 pm

Imarë wrote:Since Ewen wishes to look for information of his mother at Shiran it might make sense for him to go also but I don't know if the two trips should go together.

This would involve additional delay as a trip to Shiran after Coranan takes place. It's not clear either that this is a matter of pressing urgency. In any event, it would be up to Ewen.

Imarë wrote:Keep friendly with him, pay him what he wishes for Jeremiz but I don't know how far to trust him (Evil Erol is one of his guildsman and he sold him for £2).

Evil Erol was specifically not one of Jarop's people. Indeed, he was rather clear that he protects his people. Of course, this could be the 'official' position, but at the very least, it's unlikely that he would sell out one of his own for a mere £2. Word would get out and that would be bad for his life expectancy in the LK. Conversely, selling EE for such a paltry amount encourages outsiders to play ball with Jarop.

Imarë wrote:For after we get the property is why I suggested Sir Auram. He can assign men he trusts to be eyes and ears in the city or to provide back up if there is more trouble.

It may be you're misinterpreting Sir Auram's role here - he doesn't command troops and would have no reason to grant you the house and then maintain someone else in it.

Imarë wrote:I still suggest somebody from either Heroth or where your cousin has his manor. A family tie would be nice, not somebody from Theron (from what I am learning Bevan would not approve at all), but somebody who knows the whole family and would be loyal to a member of it.

I'm not sure Bevan would object to someone connected to her father per se, but in any event, it's not like he has men at arms lying around. Indeed, as Bevan will attest, he has never had even a guard. He has servants and an apprentice from time to time, but never military muscle. Further, he never seems to have had the slightest trouble ...
Matt
The GM

Postby Bevan » Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:29 pm

Imarë wrote: If we get the house, we have right of title and a more substancial position. If Sir Auram has the title transferred to us, the house would be ours in spite of everything done in Golotha since but if he says to look after it ourselves, we would need posession. Once we have that, there is no problem.

I was more concerned about the property being ransacked rather than the property being taken from us and I think the above statement proves this. If Sir Auram does not allow us to purchase the property and someone tries to take possession of it then the Crown will send the legionaires in to boot them out. If Sir Auram does let us purchase it then we have rightful ownership and like you said, once we have that, there is no problem.
Bevan
Squire
Squire

Postby Imarë » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:18 pm

I think I am being misunderstood on two things. Men from Sir Auram would not be troops under his control but people who might work for him keeping an eye on things in Golotha. What better a cover, everybody here seems to have guards and I think few people look closely at them. As for people being from Heroth I was not suggesting troops of Theron, I was thinking that those who were familiar with the family know who and what he is and might be loyal due to their being raised in the area where the family has influence. With Golotha the way it is, I am trying to think of people who would be loyal to the party and not have another, local, agenda.

The possibility of ransaking is the thing I worry about also. If there are not party members there I think the odds of something happening go up. NPC's, even ones who are loyal to a fault, do not bear the same initantive as players and this is why I suggest that not all go to report to Sir Auram. I do not share the belief that the Crown would send troops into the town to route out somebody from the house, that seems to violate the rules that have been set down to control the city. I think defense is something to worry about here in any event. As I said when I brought this up, this is a minor housekeeping detail but one that should be considered when the time comes.

I had given what I thought was the rationale for each person to go to Coranan for the report and who might be left in Golotha. I felt (and feel) that if anybody is to stay behind, Imare is one of the prime candidates. I cannot speak for Ewen but was giving the only reason which I could see why he would be anxious to go. The visit to Shiran could, of course, be done after all of the things here in Golotha happen and would be an excellent choice to stay also. This would have a fighter and huntress going to Coranan to report and a fighter and huntress remaining to take care of what we have taken. It also makes sense in that Ewen has a relationship with Boraga and Borana seems interested in him to say the least. How do others asess the potential risks? I think those who stay would be in greater danger (though the Baron might disagree were he still alive).
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Bevan » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:54 pm

Imarë wrote:Men from Sir Auram would not be troops under his control but people who might work for him keeping an eye on things in Golotha. What better a cover,...

Not sure being a guard for Bevan Palliser is a good cover. All the key people know Bevan works for the Crown. If Sir Auram wants people to keep an eye on the town then he would do as he did with Bevan. I wouldn't be so presumptuous to suggest this to Sir Auram either.

I think we agree we want someone who will be loyal and coming from a trusted source would be the best way to do this.

I don't agree that spliting up the party is a good idea.
Bevan
Squire
Squire

PreviousNext

Return to Plots Have I Laid ...