Party Plans

Discussions regarding plotlines, paranoid musings, and other related ruminations

Moderator: Imarë

Party Plans

Postby Arva » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:34 pm

So the dear Earl of Balim is having a party...we know what we are wearing (thank goodness).
Now, what to talk about. I mean, the last few parties Ewen has attended he's announced his marriage, his wife's pregnancy, and killed a few people.

What is there left to do?
I feel like a new person....
Arva
Knight
Knight

Re: Party Plans

Postby Matt » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:17 pm

Well, his sister recently bore him a son - that could be a real jaw-dropper.
Matt
The GM

Postby Arva » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:51 am

Well there is that...but considering that Thilisa might actually want to go to this party, that might not be the best news to share.
Actually, Ewen, since Thilisa is feeling not sick and perhaps up to a party, you may just need to hold her drink while she plots and plans...
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Sir Aeomund » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:17 pm

If Scina's head explodes I will not be sad.
Sir Aeomund
Captain
Captain

Postby Matt » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:49 pm

A present, Sir Scina is of some use to Sir Ewen, so he's probably safe. In any event, anyone's head exploding at such a soiree would no doubt bring the whole thing to a crashing halt followed by a truly staggering amount of paperwork.
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:13 pm

The last party we attended at Balim's place (on Kelen 15 - session 88) featured an awkward interlude with my father-in-law when Balim loudly toasted Thilisa's pregnancy. It was then, a mere two months ago, that Vemion vowed to remarry. If Rahel is correct and the attempts on Ewen's life indicate Vemion is back in town and presented himself at court, might not Balim feel compelled to invite his fellow peer and the new wife to the binge?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:50 pm

Compelled to invite yes, but it is by no means clear that Vemion would feel compelled to attend. He will no doubt recall you were there ...
Matt
The GM

Postby Sir Aeomund » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:20 pm

Well "some use" does not mean indispensable. Setting aside Sir Aeomund for a moment....

- We have a lead on the Assassin thing. We need to close the loop on that as the immediately pressing issue since that has an hour glass associated with it.

- Directly or Indirectly address the Baron of Kobing goon squad attack with the Baron. At a minimum I think we need to know what he knew about it.

- Determine if Vemion is in Tashal.

- Decide on a short or long range plan to kill Vemion and his new bride. I recommend sickness.

- The party: what do we want to gain from this event, set in motion, or bend to our purpose?

I think its an opportunity to strengthen the bonds that were initially formed in war. This presents an opportunity to present to the kingdom the martial and "friendship" relationship between Ewen, Firith, and Balim. This would be a strong political block in the kindgom and this may be an opportunity to demonstrate that the relationship between these players exists outside of the field of war. Perhaps use this public venue to plan a hunting trip or to innocently suggest that a meeting take place to discuss the Viking issue. Word would quickly leak out at the party that the Captains of War were going to hold a council or were drawing close bonds of relationships. The scions of great houses and titles meeting is never something that goes unnoticed.
Sir Aeomund
Captain
Captain

Postby Arva » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:50 am

Sir Aeomund wrote:...- We have a lead on the Assassin thing. We need to close the loop on that as the immediately pressing issue since that has an hour glass associated with it.

Fine...keep us on track. :roll:

So our lead, if I remember correctly, is Kerl. He is to go to the Coin and Broom nightly just in case the assassin needs to contact him, right? So do we stake out Kerl or the Coin and Broom? Or both?
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Sir Aeomund » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:08 pm

staking out both means that we have twice the chance of being detected. The Coin and Broom is where the ambush needs to go down. Its the one spot we know he has a chance of actually being at. We just cant tip our hand early.

So after the assassin and afte the Ball what are we bound for next?
Sir Aeomund
Captain
Captain

Postby Sir Aeomund » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:09 am

So we are getting close to d-day here. What's the plan?
Sir Aeomund
Captain
Captain

Postby Lord Ewen » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:38 pm

I agree that the ambush at the Coin and Broom should not be preceded by any activity that would tip the hand. Should our ambush fail, we will be requiring a fallback plan, however.

I believe a simple meeting with Bastune where Ewen relates the ambush at Sir Danys' place and guages Bastune's reaction would suffice for following up on that attempt, as others have suggested. We can certainly plan to do this Saturday.

A Young Captains of War handshake, as it were, has already taken place beween Ewen, Scina and Prehil. Following up on this makes sense. Perhaps being seen with our heads together at Balim's party would suffice? Hunting would be fine, but I'm not getting anywhere near Sir Baris...

As far as I am concerned, the next task after surviving Longhals (assuming Ewen does) is killing Vemion and Bresyn. Illness sounds like a good idea, but sickness of any kind is remarkable absent in this campaign. STDs, for instance, do not apparently exist. Perhaps the GM might comment, prior to our debating this angle any further?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Sir Baris » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:48 am

As far as the ambush goes, why exactly are we doing that instead of letting Cekiya handle this? Will our interfering change the rules of the game in any way?

Van- remember, as far as anyone of import knows, Baris is an awesome hunter, even though you technically got the kill that one time.

I heard or read somewhere that STDs were rare in real life medieval Europe. Alternatively, maybe cure disease (the spell) is a thing offered by the Haleans, and that's something we just never bother with. Why Baris hasn't gone there for his gout is anybody's guess. Although it hasn't acted up in quite awhile.
Vemion delenda est.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:04 pm

Yeah, attending the sessions does wonders for the gout.

Given the number of witnesses who positively saw you shoot Sir Ewen in the thigh that time, it's a wonder your reputation isn't thoroughly sullied, but whatever you say. :roll:

As for illness, I believe I was recalling a discussion from years back about disease. I might be wrong in the details. We certainly have first-hand experience with festering wounds, and morning sickness as well. I just don't think Harn gets afflicted with the sweating sickness, or its ilk...

As for the ambush, I can see us assisting Cekiya from a prudent distance, blocking exits or otherwise obstructing him. But Cekiya is probably the only one capable of dealing with him at close quarters. Given what we know of Cekiya's skills, Navehans fight incredibly well at very, very close quarters, and are experts at getting inside of a fending weapon.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Sir Aeomund » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:59 pm

So the first order of business is the Laranian services, then the ambush, followed by the party. Does that sound about right?

Illness would work but the shadow of poisoning would still be out there I think depending on who else got sick. We don't want to accidentally start a plague, or do we?
Sir Aeomund
Captain
Captain

Postby Arva » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:30 am

Sir Ewen wrote:Given the number of witnesses who positively saw you shoot Sir Ewen in the thigh that time, it's a wonder your reputation isn't thoroughly sullied, but whatever you say. :roll:

Umm...What witnesses? It was you, Baris, Imare, Sir Alfred, and his huntsman. Sir Alfred is dead and I have no idea what became of his huntsman Poul; perhaps Sir Prehil hired him. You also really can't count the men how came to collect you in a litter, as they are your own men and mainly reside at Varayne.
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:10 am

True, but you omit Sir Prehil, who is certainly not the most tight-lipped of witnesses. If Sir Baris' reputation as an outstanding hunting companion depends upon Sir Prehil remaining chastely, soberly silent about that hilarious scene in the woods, then I would venture that you misjudge the man ...
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:56 pm

Sir Ewen wrote:sickness of any kind is remarkable absent in this campaign.

Ouch! Didn't see that coming, but fear not - I have comprehensive rules on disease, and shall dust them off forthwith! :twisted:

Sir Ewen wrote:STDs, for instance, do not apparently exist. Perhaps the GM might comment, prior to our debating this angle any further?

This is a different issue. I have always let this notion lie fallow. While there is a canon instance of an STD, studies have indicated that the vast majority were introduced to Europe after contact with the New World. However, there is a minority view which holds that there were strains of gonorrhea and possibly a disease similar to syphilis. I feel Harn is gritty enough without them, so now that the subject has come up, I will rule that there is nothing more pernicious than lice. And I don't plan to make a royal case out of the little buggers.
Matt
The GM

Postby Matt » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:32 pm

Sir Aeomund wrote:So the first order of business is the Laranian services, then the ambush, followed by the party. Does that sound about right?

I believe there was mention of a meeting with Kolorn, probably before Balim's fete.

Sir Aeomund wrote:Illness would work but the shadow of poisoning would still be out there I think depending on who else got sick. We don't want to accidentally start a plague, or do we?

There are some poisons, but none that will start a plague. You may rest easy on that score.
Matt
The GM

Postby Sir Aeomund » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:11 am

So any last minute thoughts before we all get together tomorrow and stare at each other?
Sir Aeomund
Captain
Captain

Return to Plots Have I Laid ...