Vemion delenda est

Discussions regarding plotlines, paranoid musings, and other related ruminations

Moderator: Imarë

Re: Vemion delenda est

Postby Goreg » Wed May 01, 2013 1:25 pm

Sir Ewen wrote:In fact, how many people know of Vemion's marriage to Bresyn? We learned it, after all, from Ewen clairvoying Vemion.

I don't think it's been publicized. If there was a tourney in Thilisa's mother's name, people would ask and the fact would probably come out-in a rather awkward way for Vemion.

Sir Ewen wrote: Should Ewen brief Thilisa on the marriage, and on the source of the fire which drove her from her boudoir? Might get her behind the tournament idea. Big picture question: how much do we want to involve Thilisa in the war with Vemion?

Not very much, or she might begin to suspect she's a pawn in said fight. Tom's right; you have to give her some attention, and refresh that connection. If we can find a realistic excuse for our knowledge of her father's remarriage, it might help to tell her. In fact, the proper way to do this might be to first tell her of the remarriage and then suggest holding the tourney to her mother's honor. Could get some big brownie points.

My impression is that Thilisa is an active personality. She's going to want to feel she's a major player in her own life, and she's probably feeling somewhat frustrated in that regard while pregnant. Ewen should step carefully around her, because once the baby arrives, she's going to want to be active again quickly.
Goreg
Captain
Captain

Postby Lord Ewen » Wed May 01, 2013 2:31 pm

I agree with this suggested order: tell her about the remarriage, then suggest the tournament. Given the tragic circumstances of her mother's illness and ultimate death, it seems likely that the remarriage will chafe.

Her pregnancy is keeping her conveniently discommoded and out of Ewen's way. Once the delivery takes place, assuming she survives, attention should turn to producing a spare to follow the heir.

If Ewen and her need quality time, perhaps bonding over our mutual loathing of Dad's new wife would provide a common theme.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Goreg » Wed May 01, 2013 3:16 pm

Here's something: once the baby comes, I suspect Thilisa will want to know something of Ewen's future plans, and want to have a say in them (having just produced his heir). She seems the type.

So you might want to have an innocuous story ready.
Goreg
Captain
Captain

Postby Lord Ewen » Wed May 01, 2013 4:14 pm

I think a minor correction to this is in order. Thilisa will think of the male baby as her heir, not Ewen's. It has been clear from her earlier behavior that marrying Ewen is a way of maintaining the independence she became accustomed to during ten years of administering the Earldom of Osel while her first husband was missing. By marrying a non-peer she ensures that she is the more powerful member of the marriage, and she will see the baby as her heir, with Sir Ewen being the sperm donor. Of course, Sir Ewen sees this very differently.

While her difficult pregnancy has certainly impacted this, it should be noted that so far she seems content to produce the heir which will ensure that her children, and not her younger sister's children, will inherit the earldom. This accords with the little we know of her decade in Oselshire: we are unaware of any suggestion that she was involved in ambitious scheming or political machinations while Countess of Osel, aside from fending off Haldan's advances. Competent administration is her thing. Whether she becomes more assertive when she learns that father has remarried and intends to produce a male heir to supplant her is completely unknown, but we must expect that this development will create a crisis for her. Should we delay this crisis, or hasten it?

We know that she has been upright and virtuous in her public life. How far will she be comfortable in going to ensure her baby gains the earldom?

Sir Ewen's response to your question should be simple: "my plan is to ensure that our child inherits the Earldom of Vemion". Little else matters, given the uncertain circumstances. How she will respond to that, and how she will want that implemented, is going to be a big factor we will need to deal with.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Sir Aeomund » Wed May 01, 2013 4:48 pm

I concur on all points.
Sir Aeomund
Captain
Captain

Postby Lord Ewen » Thu May 02, 2013 8:44 am

Sir Aeomund wrote: ... if Vemion doesn't show he looks like a quibbling ass. If he does show we know where he is and can try and insert someone in his retinue to find him later.

I had intended to follow up on this, as Sir Ewen's secretive style may not have made things clear in session. Sir Ewen has already dealt with the need to find Vemion and Bresyn and subsequently track their movements. Once they are found, Cekiya will receive updates as they change location.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Sir Aeomund » Thu May 02, 2013 10:14 pm

Oh, then the neophytes are just mucking it up.
Sir Aeomund
Captain
Captain

Postby Matt » Fri May 03, 2013 9:36 pm

Ouch! The term 'neophyte' may have been inelegantly stated.

I think the key point is that there really isn't anyone the group has who could be detailed to such a task. Sir Ewen has subcontracted it as it were.
Matt
The GM

Postby Sir Aeomund » Sun May 05, 2013 11:32 am

So we are tracking them?
Sir Aeomund
Captain
Captain

Postby Matt » Sun May 05, 2013 12:01 pm

They are being tracked, but not by the party or any party retainers.

A sign will be left for Cekiya when there is something to report on their location.
Matt
The GM

Postby Arva » Wed May 08, 2013 1:40 pm

I like the way these plans are going.
I approve of the plan to hold a tourney in honor of Thilisa's dead mother. It gives us the excuse the hold the tournament and it annoys an Earl (or two)...perhaps an olive branch could be extended to the heir Curo.

Thilisa is aware of Ewen's unique parentage, so I don't think we need to find a more plausible excuse to tell Thilisa her dad has remarried. Something along the lines of "I was worried your dad was going to do something rash, so I spied on him in my own way and this is what I saw. Later the Lord Dariune confirmed it." Perhaps this will send Thilisa out of the house to dig up some dirt of her own. She has/had the rank and the contacts. Why not use them, if we can.
I feel like a new person....
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Sir Baris » Wed May 08, 2013 2:42 pm

I hadn't noticed this thread continued, sorry I haven't been active.

I like the way the plans developed, but one thing you didn't follow up on- telling Thilisa her father sent a company of men (and possibly an assassin) to murder her husband. Are you going to do that, if so when? Before or after telling her that her father got remarried while her mother's body was still warm?

And on that note- okay, I am still confused about the assassination timing. When exactly was the assassin hired? It was before the party at Danyes's, right? But it was by Danyes's lackey? Given that Danyes left the party right before the company of unmarked men showed up, he was in on it. So, what's the deal with the assassin? It's just so very odd. Maybe I have my facts mixed up.
Vemion delenda est.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Lord Ewen » Wed May 08, 2013 6:57 pm

Per Cekiya, the assassin was hired twenty-four hours before the party at Sir Danyes Bernan's place. The party was the evening of Larane 3, so Longhals was hired on Larane 2.

The arrangement the Earl made to borrow Bastune's men took place, according to Bastune, "after" he and Sir Ewen met. They met on the evening of Larane 2, so Bastune must have been summoned before Vemion on Larane 3rd, as the ambush at Bernan's was the evening of the 3rd.

So, best as I can tell, the timeline is:

Larane 2, day. Longhals hired
Larane 2, evening. Vemion becomes aware of Bastune's perfidy
Larane 3, day. Vemion tells Bastune he will borrow his men
Larane 3, afternoon. Invitation arrives from Sir Danyes
Larane 3, night. Ambush at Bernan's house

Danyes Bernan brokered the Longhals hire, according to Halime. This preceded the hastily arranged dinner and ambush by no more than one day. My thinking is that Vemion contracted for the assassination, and then decided he needed a fall guy to take the blame if somehow the assassination was botched. Bastune's perfidy, observed by a clairvoying Bresyn, gave him the ideal fall guy in the disloyal Bastune. If Bastune's men got lucky and killed Ewen, great. If not, then a subsequent assassination attempt, if botched, would look like a second attempt by Bastune to kill Ewen, deflecting suspicion from Vemion.

Danyes, of course, is the ideal middle man for this because he is so easy to blackmail, as his illicit use of his constable position would result in his likely ouster, or worse, if disclosed to Balim.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Sir Baris » Thu May 09, 2013 9:19 am

Thanks Van, that was really helpful.
Vemion delenda est.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Previous

Return to Plots Have I Laid ...