And Now...

Discussions regarding plotlines, paranoid musings, and other related ruminations

Moderator: Imarë

Was the plot twist enjoyable?

Poll ended at Thu May 05, 2005 4:18 pm

Yes, I loved it
100%
Yes, but it gives me a headache
No votes
No, this really sucks
No votes
No, I did not
No votes

Total votes : 3

And Now...

Postby Imarë » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:18 pm

I would actually start a topic but I don't know what we can talk about. Perhaps Matt and Van can clarify what is OK and what is not. Are there any old topics we need to talk about? Leaving things where they are we don't even know what to do about what we have already gotten in the pillaging.

Oh... I should point out that I only used piddling and dithering because somebody was speaking fast and refused to repeat himself. I don't take shorthand.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Re: And Now...

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:46 pm

Imarë wrote:Perhaps Matt and Van can clarify what is OK and what is not. Are there any old topics we need to talk about?

My understanding is that you guys are free to discuss whatever you like. I am the only one operating under strictures.

Imarë wrote:Leaving things where they are we don't even know what to do about what we have already gotten in the pillaging.

Does this statement suggest that my share of the plunder is in some sort of ... jeopardy? How ... disquieting... 8)
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:48 pm

Can I wait until after the audience with Sir Auram to participate in the above poll? 8)
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Re: And Now...

Postby Matt » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:36 pm

Imarë wrote:I would actually start a topic but I don't know what we can talk about. Perhaps Matt and Van can clarify what is OK and what is not. Are there any old topics we need to talk about?

You can talk about anything you like. Van is the only one who has certain 'restrictions.'

Imarë wrote:Oh... I should point out that I only used piddling and dithering because somebody was speaking fast and refused to repeat himself. I don't take shorthand.

Start. 8)

Oh, and I think I should recuse myself from participation in this poll, at least until I can go find how to turn the damn things off ... :?
Matt
The GM

Postby Bevan » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:51 pm

I love the twist. I totally didn't expect it!!

Oh and Van, you areso lucky you were not sitting next to me. I think I would have given you the "Get Out!" shove. :P
Bevan
Squire
Squire

Postby Imarë » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:04 pm

Ewen, the outcome with you is not what I was referring to. Some of conversation about the house mentioned the possibility of having to pay money in order to get it. If this happened, I would think it would come out of the general treasure fund rather than splitting the money then assesing everybody. Were you Naveh himself, you have earned a 1/4 cut of whatever we clear.

On the point of what to talk about, what else is there except the plot twist. If Ewen is not free to discuss things, why bother?? Or is the GM promoting base speculation?

I may start bugging myself and hiring a transcription service if I am held accountable for accurate notes without repetition.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:13 pm

Imarë wrote:Were you Naveh himself, you have earned a 1/4 cut of whatever we clear.

I appreciate an honorable elf. Although that's not likely to be one of the upcoming revelations...

Bevan wrote:I think I would have given you the "Get Out!" shove.

I'll consider myself shoved in the virtual sense. :)
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:11 pm

Imarë wrote:On the point of what to talk about, what else is there except the plot twist. If Ewen is not free to discuss things, why bother?? Or is the GM promoting base speculation?

No, I'm not. Ewen is free within certain limits which Van is quite aware of. However, when has base speculation so much as slowed any of you down?
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:30 pm

First, Ewen please feel free to comment on the enjoyability of it. It does not matter if you were in on it or not if you thought the idea fun.

Second, to get into the speculation fields. Ewen clearly stated that he killed Sir Felkar, not I did the murders. I would take this to mean he is not claiming the murder of the Baron of Quste (what I will call the big tamale). This would indicate to me that he had a specific grudge against the knight and acted in a deliberate fashion to achieve this end. But if he were bent on some kind of revenge toward Sir Felkar, how would he know that we would head to Golotha, where Sir Felkar happened to be at the moment? To boast about it to a government official would seem to indicate he had cause for doing this, either in his grudge mode or as an assignment perhaps? Only one man knew that the party would be headed to Golotha, Sir Auram. The question now is did he do this? Who else would know that Bevan was returning to Coranan? Who else would have the ability to send her to Golotha? Many of these questions hinge on how much of the history Ewen gave us still is accurate? Was he hired to sing a song or was that a convenient way to meet the party? Since both names he has gone by since we have met him are different than the one in his history we might assume that there deception here also. Then there are the other murders. Was Pelisa done by Ewen? If so why as she was not even on the group radar. Maybe the story was receeding a little and there was some reason to keep it hot? Then there is the journeyman hideworker, if Ewen is a psychopath (sociopath?) why would this target be chosen? Then there are the other attacks, Slakka and the Morgathians. What if any connections would Ewen have with those. I do not expect any illumination on these questions but I did want to throw them out there as a basis of future discussions when the prohibition on comment is released and we get some action in the office of Sir Auram.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:13 pm

Imarë wrote:Ewen clearly stated that he killed Sir Felkar, not I did the murders. I would take this to mean he is not claiming the murder of the Baron of Quste (what I will call the big tamale).

Yes, this seems right. Ewen said he was the killer of Sir Felkar, and since you know that the Baron was nabbed by Rahel, it seems highly unlikely that Ewen could have killed him.

Imarë wrote:To boast about it to a government official would seem to indicate he had cause for doing this, either in his grudge mode or as an assignment perhaps? Only one man knew that the party would be headed to Golotha, Sir Auram.

True, but before you go there, note that the way Ewen introduced himself was as if he had never met Sir Auram before. If that's the case, then Sir Auram had no idea about either Ewen or Sir Felkar.

Imarë wrote:Then there are the other murders. Was Pelisa done by Ewen?

Possibly. Alternativelty, you should be postulating three murderers.

Imarë wrote:Then there are the other attacks, Slakka and the Morgathians. What if any connections would Ewen have with those.

Well, he would be an awfully busy boy if so ...
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:02 am

I mentioned Pelisa because she was a friend of Ewen and I found it unlikly that he were the one to kill her (and in such a manner). This line was the beginning of a thought which never got worked upon. I had already stated that I did not think Ewen were the killer of the Baron and think his own statement backs this up (at least for the purposes of this discussion). There is no purpose that I can think of for Ewen to have killed Elpar, little chance of them knowing each other. The only place we have determined that Elpar went was the Trident, where Ewen was not recognized. There is a possibility that if the killing of Sir Felkar was a grudge killing of some type and that both Sir Felkar and Elpar were from north of Golotha they are connected in place, but that would take more knowlege then we currently have. Once again, it is a thought.

The way that Ewen gave the name and who he had killed seemed to indicate that Sir Auram should at least be familiar with the names. I don't think we have any clue to the depth of Sir Aurams stock of information and I have no intention of selling him short. But I am curious why Ewen joined us. Was it the song he had been asked to sing? If so, who hired him and why? The simplest answer was that he had been given an assignment by Sir Auram also since he was the one person who not only knew the chess pieces but the movements he was going to make with them. It sounds like Ewen was gunning for Sir Felkar, who as far as we know had been the captain of the guard for the Baron for many years (indicating to me that he was not traipsing around the countryside to earn the emnity of Ewen). I guess a lot of this depends on whether Sir Felkar was the target Ewen was going after (meaning prior knowlege of movements and people) or if he were just a target of opportunity which wandered across Ewens path and was known to him. I have come to no conclusion about why the double name change but there must be some reason for it, he is for Sourci according to the name but I have no idea where that is. He must have used it because somebody might have recognized it (either the party, which is why he gave it from the beginning or he was afraid that Sir Felkar would recognize it, which would once again show foreknowlege of events). All around a pleasant conundrum to ponder.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Imarë » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:43 pm

A couple of other thoughts. First, the house. If we are able to retain it there should be an agreement for buying out those now or in the future who do not wish to participate. I know in the long term a house in Golotha is not Imare's dream abode (something in a 44 elm would be her ideal). I suggest that a buy out figure be agreed upon now, a figure less than the value of the house and payable on a schedule and not all at once. This would make it so the house need not be sold and not break those remaining. How do the rest of you feel about this idea?

My second thought has to do with the Aerth brothers. When we met Parku and Arvind at the Bridgetower there was somthing about how one of them acted. Parku can be understood as a paranoid and acted as such. Arvind is more interesting. He was embarassed. If this were at Parku, he did not try to calm him down or even excuse him. Could it be that Arvind is a Morgathian himself? He was embarassed because those of his belief were bested? Does anybody think there is value in this train of thought or anyplace to go with it?

The third thought has to do with the dead themselves. Where were they killed. We supposed that they were killed inside the city because of the closed gates. Since they Morgathians that would widen the net as they probably could have been brought through the gates (the temple hill?). They could also have been killed at the Temple of Morgath in the city, but why? We saw no human guards on the hill but they could have been inside the structure. Once again, why would someone do it? Can someone be trying to destabilize the city (as Parku rambles) or are the Agrikans beginning to make their move? Could this be the attacker of Slakka (unless this was Ewen going to take a look at the girl who looks so much like him). Does Ewen (how I will continue to think of him and describe him as until he decides that he is no longer Ewen) really know who she is and why they look alike. And yes, I know he cannot respond to the last thoughts.

Anybody has anything to add to these ideas?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:48 pm

Imarë wrote:It does not matter if you were in on it or not if you thought the idea fun.

Just noticed this. Not to put too fine a point on it, but how could Ewen have killed Sir Felkar if Van were not "in on it?"

The very reason I've asked Van to avoid certain aspects of the discussion is that he most certainly was in on it and as such knows some of the answers you would seek. I'd rather have those come out (if they're to come out) in session, rather than have somebody type the phrase, "Well, Van, spill your guts" or the like on the forum. 8)
Matt
The GM

Postby Matt » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:04 pm

Imarë wrote:A couple of other thoughts. First, the house. If we are able to retain it there should be an agreement for buying out those now or in the future who do not wish to participate.

I don't mean to upset the applecart here, but that's not how it works. If Sir Auram has the power to grant (or sell) the house, and if he decides to do so, the title would be vested in only one of you. One guess who that is ...

None of the party save one is an agent, and Sir Auram will very likely feel the rest of you more than amply compensated by the booty you've nabbed. Now, should you feel that something more is needed intra-party, you should feel free to decide that but the leverage would be rather thin.

Imarë wrote:Arvind is more interesting. He was embarassed. If this were at Parqu, he did not try to calm him down or even excuse him. Could it be that Arvind is a Morgathian himself? He was embarassed because those of his belief were bested? Does anybody think there is value in this train of thought or anyplace to go with it?

Arvind was embarrassed for his brother and for the fact that this was subject was being aired in public. No more than that.

Imarë wrote:The third thought has to do with the dead themselves. Where were they killed. We supposed that they were killed inside the city because of the closed gates. Since they Morgathians that would widen the net as they probably could have been brought through the gates (the temple hill?).

Not likely. 1) You never saw armed men on the Temple Hill and there was no indication of anyone in the structure when you explored the area. 2) They would have had to come through the gates or by one of the wharves. True, they could probably get the gates open, but recall that Boraga indicated a 'secrecy' about the delivery of the bodies. Further, Parqu told you they are furious and want to keep a lid on it. All that mitigates for the bodies being brought into the city and argues they were killed inside the walls somewhere.

Imarë wrote:They could also have been killed at the Temple of Morgath in the city, but why?

Well, that would be the question, eh? :wink:

Imarë wrote:Once again, why would someone do it? Can someone be trying to destabilize the city (as Parqu rambles) or are the Agrikans beginning to make their move?

I wouldn't be so dismissive of Parqu. He wouldn't have lasted as long as he has as a Heptarch and top member of the Mangai if he were a fool. You would do better to consider that he probably knows what he's talking about.

Imarë wrote:Could this be the attacker of Slakka

Different weaponry employed, but certainly the slayer of the six had to be a warrior of fearsome skill.

Imarë wrote:Does Ewen (how I will continue to think of him and describe him as until he decides that he is no longer Ewen) really know who she is and why they look alike. And yes, I know he cannot respond to the last thoughts.

Only the shadow knows ... :twisted:
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:13 pm

You had mentioned embarassment, but it could have been at something else so I brought it up. Since you clearly state what he was embarassed at I will not argue the point. Thanks for the clarification.

I think the point on being "in on it" more referred to when, which we will not know for sure until afterward. Ewen could have the medical problem of sleepwalking (which would be an interesting thing to have now that I mention it) and commiting murder while asleep. Yes, I know, it's a reach.

It is interesting, if the Morgathians are trying to keep a lid on this, were they the ones who brought the bodies to Boraga? If it was not them, who and why did they deliver to the embalmer? I had mentioned outside the city because in our discussions we had discounted it being either the Morgathians or Agrikans because they take care of their own. Since it did turn out to be one of these groups ourside the gates came back into possibility (even if not probable). I know there would be a place to keep them on the hill, so why bring them in also.

I am not dismissive of Parku's feelings, just the hystrionics. I know he must be crafty but does not seem to have a head for thinking on his feet. He flies off the handle at people who, so far as he knows, would have no reason to know who the people killed were. A whispered warning would have worked as well. As for his reaction to the death of the Baron, we did not kill him, we don't know why he was killed, we let him know of the event in private and did not hire a crier to stroll about the city announcing it. I am sure it had been a bad few days for Parku but I think somebody needs to invent Valium for him.

I had asked about the weaponry of the attacker of Slakka and the probable reason for a dagger in the attack on him was space. The killing of the Morgathians was evidently in a more spacious area. I think we made the determination that the attacker of Slakka was good by the ease of the attack and Slakkas reputation (nothing known first hand). Borana did ask if we knew anyone better than anybody in the city. Besides, I always think everybody we meet has godlike skills to smite us with. Part of my paranoia.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:08 pm

Imarë wrote:It is interesting, if the Morgathians are trying to keep a lid on this, were they the ones who brought the bodies to Boraga?

A fair question. Boraga merely suspected the source of the bodies - it was Parqu who confirmed it for you.

Imarë wrote:I am not dismissive of Parqu's feelings, just the hystrionics. I know he must be crafty but does not seem to have a head for thinking on his feet.

Perhaps, but it seems to lead you to dismiss him.

Imarë wrote:A whispered warning would have worked as well.

Remember you discussed it openly in the common room before you approached the Aerths.

Imarë wrote:As for his reaction to the death of the Baron, we did not kill him, we don't know why he was killed, we let him know of the event in private and did not hire a crier to stroll about the city announcing it.

It must have seemed to him that you did. You had already been caught discussing things in public best left unsaid, and he no doubt considered you unreliable at that point. By mentioning the Baron, you merely confirmed his worst fears. You must understand that in his eyes, you were already loose cannons, and simply could not be trusted.

Imarë wrote:I am sure it had been a bad few days for Parqu but I think somebody needs to invent Valium for him.

As I said, you dismiss the man too lightly. You had already seen how he reacted in private to Bevan, so it would seem that a bit of circumspection was in order that evening.

Imarë wrote:I had asked about the weaponry of the attacker of Slakka and the probable reason for a dagger in the attack on him was space. The killing of the Morgathians was evidently in a more spacious area. I think we made the determination that the attacker of Slakka was good by the ease of the attack and Slakka's reputation (nothing known first hand).

Whether Slakka was good or bad in his craft, it is clear that his attacker was highly skilled. Similarly, the killer(s) of the six Morgathian men at arms (there are no M fighting orders BTW) must have been exceptionally skilled as well. Does not prove that they were the same person, but neither is it ruled out. The evidence suggests one or two attackers. If one, then highly skilled with the bow and the blade. If two, one skilled with the bow (not a skill Ewen possesses BTW) and the other with the blade. And so skilled with the blade that four men at arms could be killed easily and almost all of them at the same vulnerable point. As Sir Baris noted, it suggests a veteran warrior of tremendous skill who could simply aim for the neck and have a very high probability of success each time (3 out of 4).
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:18 pm

I do respect Parku's power and ability to stay on top of things for this many years. If you will recall after our meeting in the Bridgetower I was in favor of making a run for it. There is a difference between repecting the power and abilities of the man and still having trouble with the package it comes in. I am not, and will not, discount what the man can do. In any event that would be stupid. Even if I did have little respect for Parku, that would not apply to his brother, sister or niece and would play a large part in my thoughts also. I can only respond to the situations that I have seen. From my point of view, the actiions of Parku were somewhat over the top. To ignore this would be as stupid as equating that his actions are the only indicators of not only his intelligence but also of his power. I do not believe I have treated Parku as anything but dangerous and a good chance he is correct. I have questions about how he handled it from my perspective. Since we do not have the larger picture that he had and did not know that the killings (which were only lightly alluded to) were being kept quiet how were we supposed to act. We have seen deaths of important people in Golotha go not only unnoticed but uncared about. He knew that we were looking into what was occuring in Golotha and as part of this were asking a lot of questions. In any event, I agree with his conclusions here. The Morgathians are pissed and things are simmering near a boil in Golotha. He has seen things go over the top in the past and would be a good indicator of what can possibly happen. This is, to my mind, quite differnt from respect (or lack) of his way of handling it. I hope this lays to rest your belief that I discount what Parku thinks, I do not.

I believe the Aerths were the first people we talked with. All that was said was that some people were not having a good week of business. Maybe this was indiscreet but how were we supposed to know that? It might also be said, on further reflection on his part, that it is better to know about the Baron (who we mentioned only to him and Sir Tovar) than be surprised by the news. It will not be a secret forever and Parku would be one of the logical choices to know this information and how to prepare for it. Now, had I ordered and ale and then announced in the common room that the Baron had been killed that would be loose cannonish. I think that discussing, in private at this point, two highly suspect killings (as he already knew about Sir Felkar by my notes) is both appropriate and circumspect.

I was not trying to say the attacker of Slakka was the one (or one of) the killers of the Morgathians. But the skill level shown makes it such that a possible tie needs to be looked at. What are the odds that a pack of killers with these skills randomly descended on Golotha and, unknown to each other, kill randomly? I do not believe I have accused Ewen of any of the killings and only take his word about Sir Felkar. As I noted earlier he was quite specific about his victim and I will wait until we have his story to find out what has occured (although I will not discard any possibility of his having more extracaricular activities of which we are unaware). I do look forward to the next session, it should be fun.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:26 am

Imarë wrote:I was not trying to say the attacker of Slakka was the one (or one of) the killers of the Morgathians. But the skill level shown makes it such that a possible tie needs to be looked at.

From Slakka's testimony you knew he also had a sword, but under the circumstances the dagger was probably quicker and more efficient.

Imarë wrote:What are the odds that a pack of killers with these skills randomly descended on Golotha and, unknown to each other, kill randomly?

Just another night in the city ...

Imarë wrote:I do not believe I have accused Ewen of any of the killings and only take his word about Sir Felkar.

It's not out of school to wonder what else Ewen might have been up to. I do think killing six Morgathian guards without a (seeming) scratch on him is a bit much, especially lacking a bow as he does. BTW, what were you doing that night? 8-[
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:33 pm

Now you did it. You informed everybody that Imare has been receiving instructions from the dog to go out and murder random people. I am thinking of the name "Son of Baya" to leave confusing messages for the Agrikan guards under :-$ .
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:38 pm

Imarë wrote:Imare has been receiving instructions from the dog ...

OMG, now it all makes sense. The dog is the mastermind of the party! :shock:
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Fri May 06, 2005 11:03 pm

And now some more rambling on my part. I have been thinking about who has done which murder. If the storey Ewen told about being hired by the man wearing the mascles is true, than the murder of Palisa could have been done by him, Ewen killed Sir Felkar, Rahel killed the Baron (and more than likely Elpar). If Ewen had motives which caused him to make up this patron then that would point toward him as the killer of Palisa and Sir Felkar and Rahel for the Baron and Elpar. This leaves the attacker of Slakka as an unknown and the guard in Coranan as a freeby for Ewen (if he is the killer). It would also mean that we have been wracking our brains for over 6 months looking for a meaning and a killer who does not exist (in which case Ewen should be happy in his current, remote, domicile. But why would he invent all of the story? If his goal was to kill Sir Felkar he did go about the task in a circular fashion. I really don't think this is the answer (I have a nice crow recipe ready should it be needed). I get the feeling that the murder of Sir Felkar was a target of oportunity, Ewen knows something about the history of the man which made Sir Felkar not only a target but one which he could proudly take credit for. If he did not have a good reason behind his actions I would think Ewen would have headed for the hills rather than face Sir Auram. If there were good reason (at least in his own mind) for the action and he thought there would be approval in his action only then would he go and make his announcement. According to my notes, the story about his family only came about after the murder of Sir Felkar and could have been used to draw attention away from thinking Ewen had any connection with Sir Felkar and the region around Golotha (Rethem of old). So, where does this take us? Absolutely nowhere. I just wanted to jot down my thoughts of the moment and see if anybody had any other thoughts on the subject.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Sun May 08, 2005 11:11 am

Imarë wrote:Ewen killed Sir Felkar, Rahel killed the Baron (and more than likely Elpar).

Remember, more than a week transpired between the abduction of the Baron and his murder. It is entirely possible that Rahel killed him, but equally possible that she handed him off to someone else. That she knows who killed the Baron seems sure.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Mon May 09, 2005 8:36 am

Matt reminding me (us) that Rahel might have handed the Baron off got me thinking about Rahel again. Is it possible that she is the agent of whomever the Baron was supposed to pay? This would explain why she went after him with such a vengence and was keeping an eye on him. If she works for Lord Morgan, he and/or his minions would have little or no compunction about killing a noble of the realm would they? It might also explain the fear the Baron was in when he ran so quickly, if you slighted something you owed to Lodros you would not wish to hang around. This would mean it could also transcend the Rebellion, just because the current King pardoned you would not free you from a debt of this particular nature. That either something fatal would happen or he would not utter a peep would explain why the retinue was eliminated with little pause (I do lean on the side that his fate was sealed when his guard was overrun). Anybody have thoughts here?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Mon May 09, 2005 10:49 am

Imarë wrote:Is it possible that she is the agent of whomever the Baron was supposed to pay?

Anything is possible ...

Imarë wrote:If she works for Lord Morgan, he and/or his minions would have little or no compunction about killing a noble of the realm would they?

They would indeed have compunctions, but you can rest assured that if Morgan determined that the Baron needed to die, then he would die. This neither confirms nor denies the theory of course.

Imarë wrote:It might also explain the fear the Baron was in when he ran so quickly, if you slighted something you owed to Lodros you would not wish to hang around.

Hanging around might be injurious to one's health, but would you run towards your castle? Seems a bit obvious - castles don't seem to slow Morgan down much as you yourself witnessed. Although it is true that his minions are less skilled ...
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Mon May 09, 2005 11:36 am

I did indeed mean that the killing of the Baron would require the approval of Lord Morgan. I think in situations like this it would be more hands on in approach (if, of course, this is what happened).

If Lord Morgan were after me, home would probably be safer than either a royal castle or a public inn. Additionally, he would need to pack before he took on the lamb more permanantly. He might even have been going for more in the way of cash...
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Next

Return to Plots Have I Laid ...