Bring Me the Head of Sedris Meleken!

Discussions regarding plotlines, paranoid musings, and other related ruminations

Moderator: Imarë

Bring Me the Head of Sedris Meleken!

Postby Matt » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:00 pm

Figured I might as well kick this off ...
Matt
The GM

Re: Bring Me the Head of Sedris Meleken!

Postby Arva » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:44 am

Interesting choice of thread title...does this mean that Sedris is already dead and we have to go grave robbing?
I feel like a new person....
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:42 pm

Sedris has been dead for some time - recall you gave the head to Harabor some time ago.

I was thinking the revelation that he had lost it might engender some speculation.
Matt
The GM

Postby Arva » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:32 am

Darn it...I got the old Earl of Osel confused with the current Earl of Vemion.

That'll teach me to go on the forum without coffee...
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Sir Aeomund » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:01 pm

Baris' whoring saved us a lot of time and wasted effort. Who knows. Who would have ended up in the dungeon had we had to ask many more questions.

I think we tell the king this place has uppity peasants and isnt being utilized to its full tax or strategic potential. Clearly only a Kaldoric order of the Lady of Paladins with a seat at Turnau can remedy this.

We saw more action in Tashal, surley somewhere our blades are needed.
Sir Aeomund
Captain
Captain

Postby Sir Baris » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:28 pm

Sir Aeomund wrote:Baris' whoring saved us a lot of time and wasted effort. Who knows. Who would have ended up in the dungeon had we had to ask many more questions.

Glad to be of service.

IIRC, the revelation about the head is something we can bring to the king, yes? We have accomplished our mission, found what he wanted us to find. What more do we want to do here? In other words, can we turn this further to our advantage?
Vemion delenda est.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Arva » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:26 am

I think we need proof. The word of the local good time girl and a Peoni priest may not exactly suffice in accusing an Earl of once possessing the head of his predecessor. A trip to Erone Abbey may be in order to obtain the head.

Ewen, grab your checkbook. If I remember correctly, that Abbess is a really good fundraiser. :lol:
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Sir Baris » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:31 am

I wonder what the King is going to do to Harabor once he is "shocked, shocked!" about Harabor having Sedris's head at one time.

How long would it take to get Baris to marry the daughter of whoever the king is most likely to replace Harabor with? Assuming that is where this is going; I could be completely off base. :lol:
Vemion delenda est.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:52 pm

Kaelyn wrote:I think we need proof. The word of the local good time girl and a Peoni priest may not exactly suffice in accusing an Earl of once possessing the head of his predecessor. A trip to Erone Abbey may be in order to obtain the head.

What she said ... :lol:
Matt
The GM

Postby Sir Aeomund » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:24 pm

Bring you the head!? It's on your freaking desk!.....Your Grace.
Sir Aeomund
Captain
Captain

Postby Arva » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:38 am

Ok, so the head is on the King's desk...or being used as a bookend. Whatever.
The Earl of Osel thinks we're bluffing...silly boy.
What is our next step?
Can we do anything to prove to Osel that the King has the head?
Do we need to get Osel to back down?
Can the King just smile mysteriously and tell the council that giving Osel the barony would be a headache and he changed his mind?
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:43 pm

It seems to me there's one aspect you're overlooking. The barony is probably a foregone conclusion, but the Earldom of Osel ought to be in play as well.
Matt
The GM

Postby Sir Baris » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:00 pm

Baris wants to "overlook" the earldom.

I mean, who better to rule Osel's lands?

Just think, Baris could open up a string of Elf & Dwarf taverns...
Vemion delenda est.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Arva » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:13 am

I think in Ewen's grand scheme of things, there is no one better to run the Earldom of Osel than Baris. :twisted:
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Sir Aeomund » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:13 am

Osel for Baris, Turnau for the Lady!
Sir Aeomund
Captain
Captain

Postby Sir Aeomund » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:14 am

I can hear it now, "tora, where do Earls come from?"
Sir Aeomund
Captain
Captain

Postby Sir Baris » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:01 am

Earls come from the blood of previous Earls
Last edited by Sir Baris on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vemion delenda est.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:50 pm

Yes, and the blood must flow pretty freely ...

There may be a few people in line ahead of Baris. The other thing is - what might Harabor do if there is an attempt to displace him?
Matt
The GM

Postby Sir Aeomund » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:41 am

UNLEASH THE GIANTS!!
Sir Aeomund
Captain
Captain

Postby Lord Ewen » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:30 pm

Matt wrote:The other thing is - what might Harabor do if there is an attempt to displace him?

Um, do his best to throw us under the bus?

My present take on this is that the king has indirectly retained us to rid him of a troublesome earl. When the Peonian archbishop suggests whacking a guy as a solution to a problem, there is a green light being sent by somebody, that's for sure.

My initial theory was that the king wanted us to uncover Osel's crime and bring it to light, so he could then play the role of the sovereign reluctantly taking steps to deal with the unpleasant situation. Very dicey for a king to dispose of a baron and an earl at the same time, and having a shill in the crowd exposing the earl's malfeasance and "forcing" the king to do something would help. I wrote a few paragraphs explaining my full reasoning to see what you guys think, but ended up talking myself out of that entire line of argument. It boils down to the fact that he already had the Peonians doing the same thing, so why not just use them, instead of directing us to make the same discovery the Peonians already had?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Arva » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:26 am

Sir Ewen wrote:
Matt wrote:....It boils down to the fact that he already had the Peonians doing the same thing, so why not just use them, instead of directing us to make the same discovery the Peonians already had?

Because the Peonians need to appear neutral. They cater to the lower class and a number of wives of the ruling class. The peonians are supposed to be politic free.
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:48 pm

Megan is on the right track here. It's true the Peonians are supposed to avoid politics (for a host of reasons, some theological), but it's equally true they do not have the standing in the noble community. They garner respect, but not necessarily an audience.
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

I get that, but it does little to explain the Archbishop's eye-for-an-eye remark. If I understand Peonian doctrine, she should be the last person on the island condoning such a thing, no? Are we to conclude this invitation to homicide originates entirely in her (evidently tortured) soul?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:40 pm

It may be that she finds herself in the grip of forces entirely under the control of others. Or, she may be playing a theologically unsound game.

It might be helpful to consider the pieces (people) on the board, and their relative positions. I'm not sure that has been updated recently.
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:31 am

Ok then, I'll endeavor to get us started. Not exhaustive by any means.

King Haldan III. Appears to have sent us to Ternua to uncover an atrocity which, if traced sufficiently, leads back to himself, with the evidence sitting in his private collection. What does he want us to do?

Peonian Sulaplyn. Leader of a peaceful band of religious do-gooders who happens to be up to her eyeballs in intrigue, arranging for spies to be placed in our household and endorsing the murder of a peer of the realm.

Lesser Peonians. Sulaplyn's underlings are no longer critical in our analysis, because they just kicked the head up the chain of command, right?

Maldan Harabor, Earl of Osel. Apparently in line to receive vacant barony of Ternua, but King does not wish to do what he doesn't, in actuality, need to do. Unclear how Maldan got to be lead candidate in first place, aside from rationale that Osel is not a strong earldom given recent losses. Why can't the king just confront him about the head himself?

Sir Meden Curo. Doesn't want Harabor to get Ternua, but dismissive of all proposed options. Unclear what result he's fishing for.

Prehil. More open to alternatives than Curo.

Sir Rohn Sarlis. Implemented Sulaplyn's plan to plant spy in Raven Hall, but appears to have withdrawn him / not replaced him when opportunity presented.

Sir Baran Meleken. We suggested him as alternate Baron of Ternua, and had agreed to visit him and attempt to corrupt him with the morsel.

Lady Derwen Verdreth. Former King's Master of the Esoteric. Had her brains removed before she could quit the kingdom. Sort of a "head" theme gathering steam in the campaign.

Aethel Atan, Shek P'var bigwigs. Did some unknown thing to thwart Deryni troublemakers in Kaldor.

Feel free to add persons of note who I missed. Suffice it to say that wondering what folks want us to do is not synonymous with wondering what we should do. My baseline assumption is that Haldan, Curo etc wish us no good.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Next

Return to Plots Have I Laid ...