Post Tourney Wrap Up

Discussions regarding plotlines, paranoid musings, and other related ruminations

Moderator: Imarë

Post Tourney Wrap Up

Postby Sir Aeomund » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:57 pm

Below is the draft outline of things that I thought of that are hanging chads that we could possibly explore before next session:
Outline of Plot Points:

Ewen:
- Managing the Noble Guests after the murder
- Speaking to Curo
Baris:
- Be noble
Aeomund
- Serli Plot point
- Raising the Hue and Cry
o Pursuit of Brandis
o Seizing the remaining Royal Guards
Sotor
- Has removed to the Manor
o A royal body
o A dagger
o A chalice
Cekiya
- Outside watching the Prince Flee
Kaelyn
- Has removed Thilisa and Sir Rollard to the Manor
Questions:
- Where is the Captain of the Low Guard?

Metagame:
We have fixed our wagon to the anti-Brandis faction. How to do capitalize on this? Just because this is Curo’s plot to some degree doesn’t mean it’s not a really good one that we should take advantage of too.
- Which direction do we start spinning the murder?
o Justifiable homicide
o reckless lack of restraint by the crown prince against his own brother
- In the chaos of the session ending were everyone's actions clearly noted and related to Van?
Sir Aeomund
Captain
Captain

Re: Post Tourney Wrap Up

Postby Matt » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:09 pm

Good summation Tom, thanks. I await the others ...
Matt
The GM

Postby Sir Aeomund » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:41 pm

Two other things to consider:
1.) We really need to get some pigeons to send messages rapidly between Tashal, ourselves, and Ternua
2.) Curo may have started orchestrated the events, but we can control the narrative. IN addition to the thoughts outlined above we could also orchestrate a long slow funeral procession to bring the Prince back to Tashal. Weeping gnashing of teeth, professional mourners....
Sir Aeomund
Captain
Captain

Postby Sir Aeomund » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:43 pm

Tashal, I believe is only about six hours away. I highly doubt that Prince Brandis is going to worry about riding his horse to death in order to make it to Tashal and the safety of the castle.

Unless of course he heads straight to Olokand to hole himself up there. I suppose that that is a very real option too. Bottom line, I dont think it is worth it or practical to set out to chase him. Our goals may actually be better advanced if he gets away and forces the King to have to do something.

I think our best bet is to construct a narrative that we want and Aeomund can seize the remainder of the royal guard and the royal baggage.
Sir Aeomund
Captain
Captain

Postby Matt » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:54 pm

Sir Aeomund wrote:Tashal, I believe is only about six hours away. I highly doubt that Prince Brandis is going to worry about riding his horse to death.

Two hours normal riding, maybe just over an hour at a hard gallop and a blown or dead horse. Usually between three and four on foot depending on mud.
Matt
The GM

Postby Sir Aeomund » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:09 am

Matthew,
One of the other things I would like to do is to put together a snap shot of the military capabilities of the Larani Order. I want to start looking at the chapter houses closer, who is in charge of each, how many knights and men at arms, faction loyalty etc. what is the overall health of the order?
Sir Aeomund
Captain
Captain

Postby Matt » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:20 pm

Ok. Some information you would know, some a bit too obscure, and some will naturally be out of date. I'll pull the first part together for you.
Matt
The GM

Postby Sir Aeomund » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:52 pm

Is this thing on?
Sir Aeomund
Captain
Captain

Postby Matt » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:06 pm

Sir Aeomund wrote:Is this thing on?

Just for thee and me.

I did send a reminder e-mail for no apparent reason ...
Matt
The GM

Postby Matt » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:20 pm

Lady of Paladins:

As before, Kerry's article from 2001 stands, though some of the current events material is obviously superceded. Also, Aeomund, and others, know nothing on pages 8-9 and those should be ignored and not read. In general, events anent the Solori Crusade should be advanced ten years. The last vote of the Soylana assembly to split the order was in 729, and another one is scheduled for next month. The expectation is that the split with Melderyn will be formalized at that time.

Some key points:

* Yaltako has gone to the crusade, and the chapter house is closed at present.
    * Vadan has been wiped out, but the Reblena, Sir Mulron of Charyn was not in command - his deputy was. He, one or two other knights, plus a handful of soldiers are all that is left.
    * Nebulan has returned and is at full strength.
    * Whyce and Jenkald are at full strength.
    * The leadership of these chapters is unchanged.

* The Shield Chapters should be at full strength so far as Aeomund knows.

* There has been talk of seeding Vadan with knights and soldiers from the 20 Manor Chapters.

Approximately 4-6 new knights (rookies) are dubbed each year. These are typically sent to the Manor Chapters. If the seniormost rookies presently at the MCs were promoted early plus the ones expected to move on were all sent, Vadan could be brought up to about 60% strength. (This would likely cause vacancies elsewhere as expected replacements don't arrive.) At normal rotation, it would take seven or eight more years to bring Vadan and Yaltako back. Aeomund does not know what the leadership plans to do about this, but he knows that schedule is unacceptable. It's possible some of the Erana (like Aeomund and Sir Teslim Doraster) could be recalled. The Shield Chapters are unlikely to be tapped.

The leadership probably made some decision in this matter last month (Larane) which is typically when new knights are dubbed.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Matt
The GM

Postby Sir Aeomund » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:10 pm

Prince Brandis is hosed. One of the reoccurring themes that we have discussed in this campaign is the rightness of an action or a cause as a result of its acceptance by the majority of the landed nobles to reconcile events into acceptable forms. Any reign he would ever have would always be plagued by this event and question his legitimacy to rule. This bedrock is the perfect corner stone to build up in the minds of the people and the nobility a campaign of slander against his person Par Excellence.

Brandis the Ungoverned, the Besieged, the Faithless, Abuser of Royal Station in Tournaments, the Lustful, the Kin Slayer.

By discrediting the Prince we discredit the King. We also weaken the prestige of the monarchy or at least the baronial opinion that it can govern the realm. One of the important aspects of the King is as the font of law and justice. The King will be hard pressed to get through this if we continually agitate and get things spun up in a direction that we want it to. Curo may have orchestrated this whole event, but with a plan we can twist it to our advantage.

1.) Sotor conducts a scientific investigation and comes to any result we need.

a. It’s probably better if we can show that he wasn’t drugged or drunk.

2.) Operation Slander

a. We spread around the camp the foul events of the murder painting Brandis as poorly as possible. The common people will excel at this if we give it the grains of truth.

b. We embellish the pimping of Curos sister as part of the act and get some mud tossed on his brow. Putting pressure on the Inn keeper should work to get sufficient factual information on this or well-placed bribes.

c. We spread the virtues of the slaughtered prince. Hire some professional mourners who spread the tale of his murder and orchestrate a long slow funeral procession back to Tashal.

d. We have Sotor or the Herald dude look into every know case of noble fratricide they can find in Kaldor to crucify Brandis on precedent.

3.) The location of the Prince:

a. He flees to Tashal and throws himself at his father’s feet

i. Father Pardons him makes him look weak.

ii. Father condemns him he has no heir and ruins his chances of the Peers of the realm following Brandis in the future or supporting his own rule.

b. He flees to Olokand and holes up there. (This would be perfect because we could sneak in and assassinate him there through the secret ways the party know)

c. He quits the kingdom and flees. (needs money and friends)

Ultimately it probably doesn’t matter what he does because his reputation will be garbage wherever he goes.

We have several things on our side here. Using European Feudal society as a model fratricide is a huge no-no and the King is going to lose face if he just outright pardons him. The only way this will work is if there is some kind of trial by ordeal or Oath of Innocence supported by peers of the realm. Of those of sufficient rank present at the murder very few would support the prince in an Oath. In fact most would benefit by him not getting out of this with his reputation intact. Curo orchestrated this whole thing, Scinia’s son would be next in line for the crown, Harabor would love to see the succession in doubt. Bottom line the most influential in the realm that could be called upon as witnesses would be more inclined not to support his innocence than to support it.
Sir Aeomund
Captain
Captain

Postby Lord Ewen » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:22 pm

Great analysis, Tom, providing much food for thought.

Some things I am wondering about...

Is the king even in a position to adjudicate this, given his possible physical decline since we last saw him? If gravely ill, who will act as his proxy behind the scenes in determining Prince Brandis's fate? Balim, and other Elendsa supporters, perhaps, claiming to act in the king's name?

It seems inconceivable to me that the King (or Balim and Co. In the above scenario) would throw Brandis under the bus. Braand is is now the only heir. Balim is somewhat hitched to the fortune of Haldan and his progeny, no? Balim would expect to be diminished in his own stature under an alternate succession, whether it be Firith, or Hosath/Harabor.

Was Prehil in on Curo's plot?

Curo's behavior is curious to me, but not uncharacteristic of him, I think. He has acted as if he no longer needs Ewen (or maybe Prehil either?) as a co-conspirator, omitting any heads up on the plan. Any thoughts on what he'll do next? The typical progression in these kind of plots is to use your co-conspirators until they are no longer necessary, and then kill them before they become a liability. I guess my question is: has he already reached that point?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Sir Aeomund » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:05 pm

Curo's sin is pride, nothing more, nothing less. He probably doesn't even realize how smug he has looked.
que Grima.....
As for the King, no matter how sick or ill he is this matter can only be judged by him. This is a murder of royal blood and a fratricide, other than treason it doenst get much higher on the list of medieval civil crimes.

Either way though we win. If the council judges the King looks weak and enfeebled.
If the King judges he looks even worse.
- His Advisor of Esoterica was in a gibbet.
- He confiscated the Castle of Turnua under hazy crimes
- the realm has been invaded by Vikings
- the silver caravan destroyed.
- A pardoned son would never be followed.
- A dead son and there is no heir.

This branch of the Elendessa Tree is withered and sour. By spreading the right rumors and stirring the pot the right way both the Barons and the Commons will be against the King and Brandis.
Sir Aeomund
Captain
Captain

Postby Lord Ewen » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:52 am

I think we should have multiple witnesses claim Torasa's hands were up when he was stabbed.

Works for Democrat douchebags. Might work for us
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Return to Plots Have I Laid ...