Problems of Suburbia

Discussions regarding plotlines, paranoid musings, and other related ruminations

Moderator: Imarë

Problems of Suburbia

Postby Imarë » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:18 am

Now that we have gone to Selvos, we need to determine what, if anything, we need to do. First off, I believe Sir Aurams information about the Morgathians being active as far south as Selvos. Whether this was a clue or just a comment remains to be seen. From what I have seen, Morgathians are not in your face people (except for their bi-monthly stroll in Golotha). Anything they do will be undercover since they are not in the governmental structure (the Duke of Golotha I believe is nominally the owner). While the castle seems strong in and of itself, what would someone want this town for? My guess currently is location. As noted during the session, the wharf is huge compared to the town. It is also only a day away from the city by land. If something were to happen within the city and the wharves were closed to troops and vessels, nearby ports would be important (especially with the King so far away with a large army). Take the castle and you can deny the use of the facilities. If this is true, there are ports north of the city which would also be in danger of attack to deny use of those. While I try to get away from the paranoia about attacks on Royal authority, I see nothing here so far to take my mind off of it. If anybody else has any pet theories, please float them.

As a plan of action, Imare wants to go a little way outside of town and do some tracking along the roads into town. A small town like this will have, more than likely, farm carts and people walking. If I can see unusual tracks that would help us on our way. Perhaps a couple of days amongst the woods spying would be in order? Maybe some visits to the Safe Harbor would be in order as I hardly think the atmosphere where we are staying is condusive to the Morgathians. Can anyone come up with more places to be checked?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Re: Problems of Suburbia

Postby Matt » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:25 pm

Imarë wrote:Anything they do will be undercover since they are not in the governmental structure (the Duke of Golotha I believe is nominally the owner).

Laying aside the anachronism of 'owner,' Selvos is held of the Crown by the Duke of Golotha. As said peer is but six years old, he is a ward of the Crown and thus the King. The Constable of the castle will govern the town in the Duke's name, but he was almost certainly appointed by the King and serves at his pleasure.

Imarë wrote:It is also only a day away from the city by land.

On horseback. By foot it would be more like 2-3 days.

Imarë wrote:If this is true, there are ports north of the city which would also be in danger of attack to deny use of those.

Shostim is the primary port north of Golotha, and word was that the bulk of the Royal Fleet departed from there for Orbaal. (That was where Sir Baris had gone.)
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:04 pm

OK, holder rather than owner. In any event, the Duke (or his representative) is hardly likely to be in league with Morgathians.

I am only trying to think of why somebody would stir up trouble in Selvos. There are no great number of conscripts to bring into an army (alive or dead). It is no great crossroad of activity or importance in and of itself. All I can think of (currently) is that it is a strong castle close to the city of Golotha. This is why I want to look further afield to see if anything else jumps out at us for a reason (I am beginning to feel like Chicken Little).
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Imarë » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:17 pm

Another possibility has come to my mind. The Morgathians are into fear in all its varried forms. Could they be planning either a raid or to animate some dead in order to strike fear into the hearts of not only the locals but into the central government also. If this were to happen, there would be more need for local garrisons and patrol etc. I cannot think of any strong motivation for this, but I am not a Morgathian either. As we check the area we should keep a lookout for evidence of this or other plots. As long as the King (nominally through his brother, the Duke of Golotha) holds the castle and surrounding area the Morgathians cannot dream to control this area. The rebels could not hold the entire city of Golotha (with all its defenses) against a determined host. I cannot think that they could hold this castle against even a portion of a Legion. As I come up with more hairbrained ideas I will post them. Please feel free to do the same.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:50 pm

Who knows, tracking about the countryside near Selvos may prove useful, and the common, country folk might have insights about things which are afoot which might not overlap much with the sources of information available to guys like Lord Palgren. So why not? On the other hand, I think Ewen would be more useful closer to town, and perhaps should get busy investigating the disappearance of the scrawny sailor bloke whom the Aramia refered to. So far, it seems to be the only bit of nefarious business we've turned up in Selvos, aside from the tawdry marital drama involving Maeba and her hideworker husband, which perhaps Bevan will learn more about. Hanging out at the Safe Harbor might prove helpful in the sailor's disappearance, though, so perhaps a bit of hard drinking and brawling might be on tap for our harper.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:10 am

That sounds good Ewen. This will allow us to cover more territory in a shorter amount of time. I would take care that you are not Shangheid and find yourself a galley slave on some ship rowing to the mainland. I don't know how much of red herrings these leads are (for anybody), but we need to check. Is there anything else that Bevan feels the need to check or will she be joining Imare in her walk in the woods?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:23 am

Ewen wrote:Hanging out at the Safe Harbor might prove helpful in the sailor's disappearance, though, so perhaps a bit of hard drinking and brawling might be on tap for our harper.

Between the cushy life at the White Gold and you worshipping at every Halean (temple) in sight, I should think the change would do you good. Wouldn't want to get soft ... :lol:
Matt
The GM

Postby Matt » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:25 am

Imarë wrote:I would take care that you are not Shanghaied and find yourself a galley slave on some ship rowing to the mainland.

Have you been peeking at the adventure again? :evil:
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:58 am

Maybe he would be lucky and wind up at the Club Hedonism on Anfla (or the Club Dead on the hill outside of Golotha).
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Imarë » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:11 pm

Ewen might also want to check up on where the sailor may have come from and perhaps seen?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:24 pm

Absolutely. This may be unrelated to the Morgathian issue, but of interest nonetheless.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:27 pm

We may also want to take the long way home. Remember, Sir Auram said that there was Morgathian activity as far south ... but we just kind of jumped over a lot of territory here.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:30 pm

That would be okay too, depending on what we learn (or don't learn) in Selvos. But forcing the GM to make too many encounter rolls could yield a nasty result...
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:53 pm

Ewen wrote:But forcing the GM to make too many encounter rolls could yield a nasty result...

Oh, don't worry about me - I'll manage. :wink:
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:48 am

It's not the random rolls that worry me. It's the planned encounters...

Looking back on our Golothan endeavors, I am reminded of my thought that somebody is trying to take influence away from the Morgathians and Agrikans and how the whole thing may have been plotted. When I read Ewen's notes I was reminded. It is interesting that Parqu never told us that another vote on the council was controled by his family also (as I recall, 4 for Morgathians, 1 for each of Agrikans, Haleans, and general). If for some reason the Morgathians were to be reduced in influence, the clan Aerth would be the strongest political force (after the Crown) in the city. It becomes even more interesting that Rahel could be involved (if one part of my theory is correct). That the Morgathians would loose would be a win win situation for the Crown and the Aerths (not an unfriendly conclusion). We still don't know who else they are connected to (Frylas had a child with somebody and I cannot imagine it being a stable boy). There could still be ties to that person or family and they might be the Dark Knight mentioned (or control him). Why don't others tell me what they see in this development.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:16 am

Imarë wrote:It is interesting that Parqu never told us that another vote on the council was controled by his family also (as I recall, 4 for Morgathians, 1 for each of Agrikans, Haleans, and general).

Not to invalidate your theory, but just to clarify. At the moment, there is no Halean on the council. True, the Haleans have one of the seven seats, but it's been vacant for some time. In effect, at the moment, the council consists of four Morgathians, Sir Klyrdes Bisidril, and Parqu of Aerth. I don't recall if it was Parqu or Sir Zaurial who mentioned the Halean vacancy, but I'm pretty sure one of them did. 8)
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:32 am

You are right, it was mentioned. But the seat has not been given to anybody else and could be taken up by the Haleans at any time. Why put yourself in the line of fire prematurely (I probably should not mention line of fire should I?). Currently the Morgathians run the council the way they want, why rock the boat when it won't make any difference.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Imarë » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:37 pm

I am not jumping on this bandwagon here. I am merely noting that this could be a motive. There really is not enough proof to go after any theory, just that we have to look for more information in order to decide.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Lord Ewen » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:29 pm

Nonetheless, Dave, an excellent point regarding the breadth of influence the Aerths enjoy in the city. And we have that other family as well, the Zarainsens, whose scope is at least as great. I seem to recall a third, who aspire to rival the Zarainsens, but can't bring the name to mind. I think increasing our understanding of how these important families exist in a state of balance (and how precarious or solid that balance might be) in Golotha would be a worthy goal for us to pursue in the long run.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Imarë » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:29 pm

Does anybody recall which family Jarop belongs to? I think it was not the Aerths but it could have been the Zarainsens.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:01 pm

Imarë wrote:Does anybody recall which family Jarop belongs to? I think it was not the Aerths but it could have been the Zarainsens.

Jarop is a Zarainsen.
Matt
The GM

Postby Bevan » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:13 pm

In reading the history the GM has sent out about Selvos, it has been made somewhat clear as to the reason there is such a large wharf. Between being a main sea trade route that has thrived through the centuries it also needed to support the Naval Station.

Selvos seems to have an incredibly tumultuous past for what appears a peaceful small community. There does appear to be one trait that has existed through out. Religious intolerance. No matter who is the majority ruler a strong distaste for other religions continues. The current intolerance being for the Morgathians and the Agrikans. Even though King Arren II has lifted the oppression of the Agrikans and has no law to suppress any religion, this town remains strong in the maintain the current tolerance.
Bevan
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:17 pm

One additional point on the wharf which should have been in the article but wasn't.

After the Laranian victory, and the Sir Grolis took over as Earl of Selvos, the Agrikan temple was razed to the last stone. The ground was exorcised and reconcecrated to Larani and the present temple built on the same site. The Agrikan rubble was then dumped into the harbor and used to further extend the wharf.
Last edited by Matt on Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
The GM

Postby Bevan » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:21 pm

Ah ha! Yet another reason for the large wharf :!:
Bevan
Squire
Squire

Postby Imarë » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:32 pm

I am interested in the mention of subterrainian Morgathian temples. Could there have been more than one? The religion seemed very entrenched in the area, I cannot see everything being found and eliminated.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Next

Return to Plots Have I Laid ...