Best laid plans of mice and men....

For Public Conversation out of the Game's Afoot Area

Best laid plans of mice and men....

Postby Ulauf Seld » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:24 pm

My kin and family, we have some time now while we are aboard to discuss what actions are going to be taken for certain circumstances.

Questions that I feel need to be answered

What happens if anyone becomes seperated?

What actions do we take on meeting an enemy?

Will we need oil and the like to start our fire arrows if they are needed?

What will be our order of march?

How will we attack the village of Hoag?

Where do we land to commence the viking?

It is now while we sail that all these things must be worked out.
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:15 am

Good initative Ulauf, you would really make a fine second. Concerning the marching orders I like to know how many longbows and how many normal bows we have at our disposal and what is the range you archers are most familiar with.

Even if wie are only a handfull of man we sure need a scout, because the bulk of us is simple to noisy.

As for a marching order I propose to post the archers in the middle and also our main leader. Huscarls if avalaible one in the front and one on the rear. Witch this we should be able to react to nearly any attack fro wherever it may come.

When we are getting under fire the shieldbearers should protect as soon as possible the archers so that they may be able to fire back.

Any other formations in mind?
User avatar
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:29 pm
Location: Bern, Switzerland

Postby Matt » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:44 am

Laenvan - Longbow
Ulauf - Shortbow
Erdrick - Shortbow

Of Anaka's men, two have shortbows. He's obviously planning on raiding Hoeg from what he said.
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2521
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Re: Best laid plans of mice and men....

Postby Ulauf Seld » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:06 pm

Ulauf Seld wrote:My kin and family, we have some time now while we are aboard to discuss what actions are going to be taken for certain circumstances.

Questions that I feel need to be answered

What happens if anyone becomes seperated?


I would suggest that if anyone becomes seperated, as soon as the learn that they are seperated from the group, they should remain where they are and Ercrick and I will come and look for you. If Erdrick or I become seperated if it is safe to do so the group remain where you are and I will find the group.

What actions do we take on meeting an enemy?


I would think that if the enemy is but 1 or 2 we should attack but if there be more than that we should either halt and let them pass or detour around until after the viking against Hoag has been completed. Then I think whoever stands in our way is fair game.

Will we need oil and the like to start our fire arrows if they are needed?


I will ask the Captain of this vessel if he has any oil that he can spare for our viking against Tandir.

What will be our order of march?


As for our order of march I would suggest Erdrick and I will lead, following behind us keeping about 100' spacing should be Haefnir and Jorst they can protect Igon who should follow next and near him should be Laenvan.

Behind Laenvan should be Olaf and Sven, with the remainder of the warboat crew following with 2 huscarls trailing the group. They should be no more than 20' behind the main body.

How will we attack the village of Hoag?


I would suggest that as we close with the village, Erdrick and I will move ahead and scout out positions from which we can attack with maximum surprise. In this we may need to take hostages if villagers are working in the fields we may need to move against them quickly to ensure that none escape and warn the rest of the village.

I would suggest the archers with us remain in cover to protect those attacking the village. If we have taken hostages then 2 men from the warboat crew can guard them. I would think 6 men with torches should fire the village while our huscarls and remaining warriors defend those with the torches.

After the viking we should make our way back to the warboat with the best possible speed. About 1/2 league from the warboat our group should split from the main group and head into the woods for a short distance and if the main body is pursued we should attack the pursuers and give time for the main group to get away.

If there is no pursuit then we should make best time for what will remain of the day to put some distance between us and Hoag on our way to Tandir.

Where do we land to commence the viking?


We will need the element of surprise if we are to succeed in this raid, I would suggest asking the Captain of the vessel if he can make shore about 1 league north of Hoag. As we will be arriving late in the evening and we are not familiar with this area I would suggest we lay up for the night and move off just after first light. This way we reduce our risk of getting lost and stumbling into the village or it's inhabitants blindly.

It is now while we sail that all these things must be worked out.


We must discuss our plans so that each of us will know our part of the plan when misfortune strikes, because it will and if we are not prepared then no help from the Grey Slayer will save us on this venture.

How say you on these matters my friends.....
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Best laid plans of mice and men....

Postby Matt » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:49 pm

Ulauf Seld wrote:I will ask the Captain of this vessel if he has any oil that he can spare for our viking against Tandir.

No, oil is an atypical store for a warboat. However, there is some tar which is flammable enough and can be spared. You will need to prepare the arrows in advance with a bit of tarred rag wrapped around the shaft near the head. Including all you have, there are 180 arrows aboard. There is tar enough for all, but the addition of the rag will reduce the range of the arrow slightly, and decrease accuracy. How many arrows will be converted?
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2521
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Re: Best laid plans of mice and men....

Postby Ulauf Seld » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:56 pm

Matt wrote:How many arrows will be converted?


Erdrick and Laenvan how many arrows do you think we need to convert for fire, I think at best we might manage 3 minutes to fire arrows but I think this will be the best time allowed.

If we can manage 6 arrows each minute then 18 arrows each therefore 36 arrows, could we prepare an even 40.

Laenvan would you be able to carry this extra load?

Erdrick and I will be scouting ahead and would not like to be encumbered anymore than we need to be.
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:07 pm

"Hmmm...." he scratches his beardless chin. "40 arrows sounds fine with me. And for the additional load no problem, I will carry it. But to lit the arrows at a moments notice it would be fine if we could take a jar with glimming coals with us. Is there anything on board we could use?" He murmurs to himself "I shoud have thought on this before... but this were two damn fine lasses and Halea smiled upon me..."
User avatar
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:29 pm
Location: Bern, Switzerland

Postby Matt » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:19 pm

Such a jar would be difficult to carry, to say the least. An additional tar-soaked rag and flint and tinder should answer the problem.
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2521
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Ulauf Seld » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:13 am

If Erdrick is confident that he can guide us to Hoag during the night then this delay might yet be useful to us.

It would allow us to strike Hoag just before daybreak while they are still in their beds.

Which means that we shoud try and get some rest now for if we are to push on during the night we will need all the rest we can get!
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Ulauf Seld » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:50 pm

Ulauf moves among the warband whispering to each in turn "Let us gather together to hear my cousin grant us the Grey Slayers blessing on our endeavours this day"

With that he guides each in turn to a small area near where Igon is standing.

Ulauf looks up towards his cousin and says "Cousin, I have done as you requested the warband is gathered to hear your blessing"
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Igon Seld » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:14 am

Igon leads the group in prayer and calls on Sarajin for a blessing in the up coming battle.
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Jorst Seld » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:41 pm

Moving towards Dragoran, Jorst whispers to him "If we continue to get the cold shoulder here we might yet use your 'persuasive' talents to get this journeyman to assist us with our requests."
User avatar
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:30 pm
Location: Wellington, NZ (Sydney, AU)


Return to Seld Warband Moot

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron