Attack on Tandir...

For Public Conversation out of the Game's Afoot Area

Attack on Tandir...

Postby Ulauf Seld » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:37 pm

"Well my friends, if we are to attack the castle in an attempt to fire it, I think we need to come up with a plan."

"If Laenvan, myself and Jorst approach the castle to within bowshot, Laenvan can attempt to fire the buildings, I will keep any guards or archers on the wall busy and Jorst can provide any close in protection if needed even to shield us from any missile weapons if necessary."

"Meanwhile Igon, Erdrick, Olaf, Sven and Vagnar remain in the treeline to the south. You will be the base upon which we will fall back to. Erdrick can cover us as we withdraw with his bow while Igon, Olaf and Sven can help assist with anyone attempting to pursue us."

"I think we will have time to fire around 20 arrows if Laenvan is as good as his word." Ulauf gives Laenvan a wink as he says this.

"I will move forward just after dark and try to remove any of the guards from the walls before Laenvan and Jorst move forward, I will try to start the fire as Laenvan and Jorst are moving so that the fire will be ready when Laenvan arrives."

"I say after 20 or so arrows we retire into the treeline and with the Grey Slayers guidance we will see the castle burn before we leave for home."

"What say you on this plan?"
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Matt » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:04 pm

Just a reminder that there will be no moon tonight and hence zero natural visibility.
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2521
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Igon Seld » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:37 pm

A bold plan, but getting back to cover in a moonless night will be dangerous and then trying to evade pursuers...

What is the make of the roof of the fortress? If it's stone then all we can hope to do is set fire to the structures in the courtyard.... and the town.
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Matt » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:15 pm

It's pretty clear all the rooves of the castle are slate.
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2521
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Ulauf Seld » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:42 am

Even with no moonlight this will not effect us as much being on the ground as anything on the castle wall will be silouhetted(?) against the lighter night sky. Even with no moon the night sky is still lighter than the surronding ground.

It will affect our depth perception. As we have specific point of reference to aim at anyway, we are simply lobbing flaming arrows inside the castle walls in the hope of hitting something flammable it will not effect us that greatly. Trying to shot guards on the walls will be easier for us than us shooting at them as they will be silouhetted. That does not mean it will be easy but it will be easier for us than them.

If we need to shoot at buildings in the village then hopefully some will be silouhetted against the water and others will have lights in windows to provide a reference point to aim at.

That is why going with no moon is better for us. I agree it will make our going through the woods that much more difficult, but they will have no light to track us by either.
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Matt » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:43 am

I agree that the outline of the castle will be visible, however, aimed shots at something as small as a man is another thing entirely. Much will depend on how close you plan to get, and which side you intend to approach. The likelihood of making out the silhouette of a man on the ramparts at any sort of distance is small, and the natural night myopia of the eye tends to make it difficult to focus on objects at a distance (I shall, of course, take EYE into consideration).

And the moment you start loosing fiery arrows your position will be obvious to anyone paying attention.
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2521
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Vagnar Granier » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:22 pm

You might abandon an attack on the keep and instead target the buildings of prominent collaborators in the town.

It might also be useful if I were to return to the town in daylight, gather my belonging and some supplies, then head off 'to gather herbs'. I might then vanish convincingly, perhaps reappearing with a tale of desperate escape at some useful moment later.

I might even purchase some oil or somewhat, to be left and noticed, then we could set up a camp site visibly overrun by attackers in the night, to explain how it was 'acquired'.
They say I am mad...they make a good case.
User avatar
Vagnar Granier
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:37 pm
Location: New Jersey

Postby Ulauf Seld » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:32 pm

Uluaf looks at Vagnar nodding his head "This plan has merit, very well Vagnar if this plan is going to work we will need you to make some inquiries in the town and find out who the local supporters are and where they live."
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Matt » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:50 pm

At the moment it's about halfway through the fifth watch, or roughly 6pm.
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2521
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Ulauf Seld » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:12 am

"Very well, from what we have seen I think then that we attack the town. Let us approach the town during nightfall tommorrow, Vagnar you will have the hours of daylight to determine who are the main supporters of the southrons in the town."

"Once this information has been delivered, we wait for the garrison to frequent the inn, give them several hours to drink up. Move into the town set fire to the inn and ambush the invaders as they flee then set fire to as many buildings as possible then leave in the Hum road direction across country"

"We will need to strike soon we need the darkness to help conceal our intent in the town and to assist us to evade any pursuit. Remember we cannot stay here long before some villager wanders into the wood for dropwood or to feed his pigs and finds us lurking here, then we lose our surprise"

"I know patientence is needed but I long for vengence for Fjaga and my King. Remember the Grey Slayer will guide us, have faith my friends"
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Matt » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:22 am

Ulauf Seld wrote:"Once this information has been delivered, we wait for the garrison to frequent the inn, give them several hours to drink up.

Just on this point allow me to clarify - you have seen none of the garrison frequenting the inn in either of the two nights you've been here (yesterday and today). The troop movements I've described are fully inclusive - there are no others.
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2521
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Jorst Seld » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:37 pm

Jorst had been listening to his brother, and growing increasingly concerned.

At last he broke his silence.

"Kinsmen... What was our purpose in coming here? To discover the lie of the land, or strike a wild and feckless blow?"

"I say what mattters most is any knowledge of the status of our enemy, and our report back to our lords in Geldenheim. We spend our time here to learn more of the movement and disposition of the enemy's troops, then return with this knowledge."

"I see little point in striking at 'collaborators' if this means we cannot achieve our first purpose".
User avatar
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:30 pm
Location: Wellington, NZ (Sydney, AU)

Postby Ulauf Seld » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:06 pm

"Back at home we made plans to gather what information we could, set the castle alaze and rescue our King if the opportunity presented itself. Cleary the rescue of our King cannot be acheived here and now, nor it seems can setting the castle on fire, but I believe it has always been our intention to strike a blow if we were given the chance."

Ulauf lowers his head and continues "But if it's to gather information for our Princes that you require then let us consider that done and return home, we have a lay of the land, we know that the Jarin are being trained by the southrons, the southron 1st legion is garrisoned in Tandir and in what numbers and equipment. If you consider it done then we should leave at first light, I do not like sitting around waiting to be caught."
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Vagnar Granier » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:53 pm

I shall return to town in the morning and make my purchases, and let it be known that I am journeying to seek certain choice medicinal herbs.

While there I shall see if I may learn any useful bits of knowledge.

Then we can fake my 'disappearance'.
They say I am mad...they make a good case.
User avatar
Vagnar Granier
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:37 pm
Location: New Jersey

Postby Jorst Seld » Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:43 am

"I say we are done. Since we cannot rescue the King, we would do best to return with the knowledge we have gained."
User avatar
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:30 pm
Location: Wellington, NZ (Sydney, AU)

Postby Matt » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:56 pm

I'd like to hear what Igon, Erdrick, and Laenvan have to say before I advance the storyline.
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2521
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:05 pm

"Let's make a short roll call, we have Igon, Ulauf, Vagnar, Erdrick, Jorst, Sven, Olaf and myself. No, I haven't forgot anybody. Allright the idea to impose as soldiers falls short, we are not enough men. Would have been a daring thing anyway with uncertain success. The castlebuilder has been a very clever one.

As the situation presents itself to me after Vagnars information we have no possibility to set Tandir castle ablaze. As we don't know where the true alliance of the inhabitants of Tandir village lay, I'm against harming them. This would be too much like Agrik loves it. And I hate him and his followers outright. They are neither men nor women of any honour at all."

Laenvan gets so angry that he spits on the floor. Having calmed a bit he continues: "So we have no other choices than to sneak back and gather as much information as we can."
User avatar
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:29 pm
Location: Bern, Switzerland

Postby Matt » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:05 am

Action has resumed in the Game's Afoot. 8)
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2521
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Ulauf Seld » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:59 am

"Well Vagnar it seems you have joined a group of doomed men." Ulauf says as he takes a bite from an apple he has taken from his backpack.

"If this man is truely charmed then we may all well be damned."

"I think my friends, that we have as much information as we can possibly get. Our King has been sent to Tharda, the castle of Tandir is now being garrisoned by the the 1st legion, the King of Tharda is planning on occupying the whole of Orbaal, the Lord of Westmarch is charmed, the Jarin population have taken up arms and are being trained by the southrons. I do not think that we bring much news of joy home with us!"

Looking at Vagnar, Ulauf continues "Well Vagnar we will see at first light."

Once Vagnar leaves Ulauf then says "Do you think it prudent to set a watch this night, the southrons know where we are and have not yet attacked us. I think it wise myself and should probably set the same watch as last night."

The rest of the group may hear Ulauf whisper under his breath "If this could be any worse I fail to see how....." Ulauf takes out some jerky from his pack and starts to chew with a look of dread on his face.

Uluaf looks up at his cousin and says "Igon, I am no warrior nor do I have the wisdom of a sage. I am not sure I fully understand our situation it seems to me I am missing some important part of the puzzle. Why did he approach us, surely he must have known we would not desert our King."
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Igon Seld » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:38 am

I'm not sure cousin. He strikes me as a man in full confidence of his abilities and position.... maybe to confident, but that may be wishful thinking on my part.

This Thardic king has a goal of unifying and controling all of Harn, that much is clear... mayhapes they wish to do so with the least amount of resistance? What better way to pacify Orbaal then to bring the various clans under your banner without having to conquer them. You would save in resources, lives and time...

This marshal would understand his masters goals to some point and work towards them. I think he tries to get another clan under their banner without a fight... at little cost to them but a few moments time. If we agree, the southrons gain more troops and vassels, if we decline his situation changes little. We are of little threat to him... merely a "interesting" diversion.

I believe our position is far more dangerous than we thought... we must return and report to the princes at once!
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada


Return to Seld Warband Moot

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron