A proposal....

For Public Conversation out of the Game's Afoot Area

A proposal....

Postby Ulauf Seld » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:24 am

Ulauf looks up after having been caught in deep thought for the past hour or so......

"Laenvan, tell me of the heavy horseman from your homeland, Kaldor I believe? Do they have mercenary bands and are they able to best these Thardians?" as Ulauf spits in the dirt with the very mention of the word.

"Cousin, what if we were to journey to the other realms south of us and hire mercenary heavy horse. We have none of our own and as we saw a Fjaga they turned the tide against us."

"Another thought causes me great concern my cousin, during the march I overheard our King and Bjan discussing how the southrons knew we were marching to Fjaga but the word that caught my attention was the word 'witchcraft'. Then while we are here the Lord of the Westmarch just happens to wander straight into our camp without so much as a hunting dog to find us. Do the southrons have some sort of magik that they conspire with to use against us and know our very thoughts."
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Jorst Seld » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:10 pm

Interesting idea Brother....

What say you, my Kaldorian friend?
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:18 pm

"Ah my Ivinian friends." Laenvan shakes his head in negative response. "It saddens me to tell you, most mercenary bands are light to medium armed men on foot, supported by some archers. As they are not needed to guard caravans or garrisons you very seldom find a medium armed Knight and even rarer a Knight with one of the great battlehorses as well armoured as the knight it is wearing." He stares at the tip of his feets. "Most are knights, landed or otherwise. I don't remember at the moment that such a mercenary band exists. But even if such a group existed, it would almost certainly be in service to one of the great clans. Not to mention hugely expensive ..."
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:21 pm

Ulauf nods in understanding "I see, while they might not exsist, I think the cost is not our concern for what price can you place on your realm."

"Anyway it is but an idea, and for our Princes to decide."
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Jorst Seld » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:59 pm

"Indeed."

"I suspect that if it comes to seeking assistance, then we would be best to call upon our kinsmen in Ivinia, or Harbaal... The Harbaalese surely would not wish the southerners to expand their holdings..."
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Vagnar Granier » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:13 pm

Would any of the noble houses have ties of blood or marriage in Ivinia or Harbaal? If so, they might be of use.
They say I am mad...they make a good case.
Vagnar Granier
Squire
Squire

Postby Igon Seld » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:19 pm

We would have to be careful of who we invited. More than one Ivinian great clan has designs on orbaal, which does not necessarily include us....
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:20 am

"My friends, you are missing my point, it does not matter who will call for help if these southrons know what we are doing, where our armies are, where our fleets sail. THESE SOUTHRONS KNEW WE WERE HERE!!!!"

Ulauf raises his voice as he gets up of his pack and walks off into the trees. Where he can see the castle walls from behind a tree.
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Igon Seld » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:24 am

Calm your self cousin... yes it may seem like witchery, but it also could be they have excellent scouts... we do not know. either way we must stay calm and get back as soon as posible. The princes and council will decide what to do then, and we will do our duty as required. Let us go...
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:47 pm

Ulauf looks over his shoulder towards his cousin "Very well, but I do not believe it is their scouts, I have seen no sign which either makes them very good or non-exsistant."

"I think now might be a prudent moment cousin, to ask the Grey Slayer to watch over us and see that we make it back home at all."

With that Ulauf returns to his belongings and sits down again.
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:59 pm

Laenvan mutters to himself and makes repeatedly the sign of protection against all evil. In between he gets up, moves around, strings and destrings his longbow, checks for the thousandth time his arrows and his other weapons. He has gotten really jumpy...
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Igon Seld » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:51 pm

As the group begins to gather their belongings, Igon motions them over and leads them in a brief prayer to the gray slayer.
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:41 am

After (hopefully) recieving the Valhakar and Gutta's fathers permission to wed Ulauf will find each of his travelling companions and shield brothers and say "Friend, I am about to ask Gutta to marry me, the Valhakar and her father have both given their permission and so now I am off to find her and ask her to be my wife......wish me luck!"
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Igon Seld » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:51 am

Good luck cousin!
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:28 am

"Ah, young Ulauf, I wish you good luck and Halea's boon upon both of you" says Laenvan with a big smile, but in the corner of his eyes a tear seems to glitter.
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:32 pm

I think if we are to present ourselves in a southron court we should attempt to keep the cut of our cloth as close to our own as we can. Let us not pretend to be southrons as I feel we will only look to fool if we were to dress like them in their court.

We are Selds that pay tribute directly to our King, let us not forget where we come from and who we are.

Let us get this clothier to prepare our new attire in such a fashion that it befits our status and does not demean our heritage.

If this clothier is as good as his reputationssays he is then he should have no difficulties in doing this.

Your thoughts my friends....
May Sarajin guide my arrow....
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Igon Seld » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:21 pm

I agree.. I have not wish to cloak myself in the fashion of the south just to gain status with them. We are not beggers looking for someone to save us... we ae looking for allies against a mutual foe.
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:43 pm

Concern shadows Laenvans face while he looks from one of his companion to the other. "This puts me in a bit of a problem... I don't know how to cloth myself. I was born here in Tashal but I'm not a southron, I'm clearly of Ivanian descent... as a mercenary I could choose what I like, respecting the rules of course, but I don't feel anymore to be a true mercenary. What we have gone through together... changed me."
He kneels befor Igon Seld before he continues. "My Lord, I hereby pledge my service to you and Clan Seld and ask you to make me your loyal liegman." He bows his head and waits...
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:49 pm

[GM: I'm going to assume this conversation takes place before departing the temple, and not in front of Habor of Sarlis and his apprentices! :lol: ]
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:41 pm

I think that would be a good assumption :wink:
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Ulauf Seld » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:43 pm

I am also wondering how we are going to go about getting that rock that was given to us converted in something a little more useful.

Maybe get Habor to recommend a jeweller????
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Igon Seld » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:42 pm

Laenvan Hawkeye wrote:Concern shadows Laenvans face while he looks from one of his companion to the other. "This puts me in a bit of a problem... I don't know how to cloth myself. I was born here in Tashal but I'm not a southron, I'm clearly of Ivanian descent... as a mercenary I could choose what I like, respecting the rules of course, but I don't feel anymore to be a true mercenary. What we have gone through together... changed me."
He kneels befor Igon Seld before he continues. "My Lord, I hereby pledge my service to you and Clan Seld and ask you to make me your loyal liegman." He bows his head and waits...

Igon looks a little surprised at Laenvan's statement, but after a moment smiles..."A true and loyal friend you have been to the Seld's Laenvan, and have done noble service in our name..." Turning to his clansmen...
"What say you cousins?
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:38 pm

With a smile Ulauf nods his consent....
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Jorst Seld » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:47 pm

"Tis true, you have served our clan with honour and courage for some time and indeed during our darkest hours and you have served where other 'mercenaries' might have quit, because of this service I see no reason why your request cannot be granted."

Turning to Igon, Jorst continues "You have my mind, cousin."
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Igon Seld » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:54 pm

"So be it." Turning to the kneeling Laenvan... "Laenvan, I accept your service as a liegeman of Clan Seld, and will I not forget it, nor fail to reward that which is given: fealty with love, valour with honour, oath-breaking with vengeance."

Igon offers his arm in a warrior's grasp and pulls the young man to his feet... "Rise my friend and be welcome to our clan!"
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Next

Return to Seld Warband Moot