On to Tashal....

For Public Conversation out of the Game's Afoot Area

On to Tashal....

Postby Ulauf Seld » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:45 pm

How are we going to plan for this trip......

I have not been more than a three days ride or so from Seldholm. What are we going to need?

We have to get Igon, Jorst, Sven, Erdrick, Vagnar, Laenvan and myself through uninhabitited areas thick with Gargun, wolves and who knows what other fell beasts.

I will defer to the judgement of those that have travelled the island to start the debate on what we need.....
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:31 am

Having found his drinkhorn and refilled it while flirting with one of the maids Laenvan finally returns to the hard thinking round.

"Ah... still planning... I see." He sits down and takes a long gulp before he continues. "It seems that Igon, Erick and I are the ones with most travel experience... so I will make a proposal and hope you will correct or adjust me." After an other gulp of fine meat. "Hmm... as I said before we have to take what we can with us, besides food that has to be nourishing but not too burdening we will need equipment... a tent would be nice but with the help of spears or staffs and blankets this can also be managed... then cooking utensils... yes this will get for every one of us a fairly heavy package... spare clothing if possible packed away waterproof... ropes... staffs or spears at least one for each of us... lantern can also become handy... waterproof cloaks are not to forget in this weather... and some burned waters like whiskey or the like... then we need enough material in the case we will have wounds and herbs against cold and fever attacks... hmmm... That should do it... yes." After a further gulp of meat Laenvan closes "To travel in wintertime is a an perilous expedition my friends, so we have to plan carefully... Ah yes, does anyone of you know how to build sleds?" At the astonishing looks this question gets him, Laenvan explains. "After snowfall we could haul along our equipment really more comfortable on sleds than on our backs... and even ride on them if the oppurtunity arises. Sounds like we will have some fun on this trip too next too all the hardship that awaits us."
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:39 pm

Laenvan Hawkeye wrote:yes this will get for every one of us a fairly heavy package...

There's always the mule option.

Laenvan Hawkeye wrote:and some burned waters like whiskey or the like...

The only distilled spirit on Harn apart from brandy is a whiskey-like drink called Aquavit which some Jarin make. They are not in the habit of sharing with Ivinians. (I.e. They hide it.)

Laenvan Hawkeye wrote:Ah yes, does anyone of you know how to build sleds?"

No.

Laenvan Hawkeye wrote: "After snowfall we could haul along our equipment really more comfortable on sleds than on our backs... and even ride on them if the oppurtunity arises.

In any event, you're more likely to beat the snow if you leave sooner rather than later - it is early Halane, after all.

BTW, who'll be pulling these sleds?
Matt
The GM

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:31 pm

BTW, who'll be pulling these sleds?

We of course or have you never read about the polar expeditions or the plain indians before they got horses? This are not immense sleds only replacement for mules if there would be snow that is... so there will be also mules then, what about a mule train ;0)...
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:18 pm

Vikings, muletiers, sled dogs - you guys sure are versatile. :lol:
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:23 pm

OK so how much equipment are we going to bring with us and how many mules are going to be needed to move all this equipment?
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Matt » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:49 pm

A mule can carry 250 lbs. and requires 15 lbs. of fodder and 64 lbs. (8 gallons) of water daily. The water, and perhaps grazing, can be had along the way.
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:13 am

Our plans had best be finalised this day so that Bjan can have our list of supplies this evening and we can spend tommorrow making the necessary arrangement for a departure the following day......

What would be the longest part of the journey between villages. This will determine how many mules we will need. Looking at 10 days between villages, would give 2 mules carrying 10 days fodder (150lbs) still around 100lbs of cargo space available each.

So trying to work out what we will be carrying:

rations for the group for 10 days - 2lbs total 140lbs
cooking utensils
tentage for 7 members
lanterns x 3 and oil
12 torches
2 lengths of 50' of rope
As I am now carrying a longbow I will pack a Shortbow and spare arrows on the mules.

What have I left out??????

Will we need a 3rd mule?

Is Sven capable of handling 2 or 3 mules?

Each man has a role in this group I for one see my responsibility as ensuring that we can survive the trip through the wilds, Vagnar has skills with healing, Igon will see that the Grey Slayer watches over us, Jorst, Sven and Laenvan have the difficult responsibility of protecting Igon, Erdrick will see that maps are made of our journey and use those maps he has to ensure that we are on the correct route. Each man should be charged with the responsibility of carrying the equipment he needs to ensure that his task can be carried out as required to the best of his ability.

(Matt would you like me to edit my equipment section to update the longbow edition???)

Each man can carry his spare clothing and weapons and perhaps a day or two of food. I think each of us has the necessary equipment to see himself safe for several days in the wilds but getting from here to Tashal will be different. Each man should pack a set of clothes suitable to conduct business with some of Tashals gentleman. Let us not be seen as lacking in wealth and stature before them. Of do we purchase this new clothing on arrival in Tashal?

We will require letters of introduction for each town and village that we will be entering, perhaps promissary notes so that we can restock our supplies at each village.

(Is it safe to assume as you have indicated that suitable water will be available for the mules that this same water will suffice for us to fill our waterskins and the like as we move?)
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Matt » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:29 pm

Ulauf Seld wrote:Is Sven capable of handling 2 or 3 mules?

If by this do you mean can Sven hold a lead with mules on it and walk a trail, the answer is yes. However, he has no idea how to care for mules or what to do with the beasts should they become recalcitrant. That's Jarin work. Of course, you could also ask for a muletier on your list, though said person would most likely be Jarin.

Ulauf Seld wrote:(Matt would you like me to edit my equipment section to update the longbow edition???)

I'm assuming this is Laenvan's spare longbow. So he's debit one to your credit (unless there's an objection).

Ulauf Seld wrote:Each man can carry his spare clothing and weapons and perhaps a day or two of food.

Yes. Keep in mind that 2lbs. a day is light rations for a warrior. I'm assuming you plan to supplement the other .5 lb. by hunting meat. Right?

Ulauf Seld wrote:Each man should pack a set of clothes suitable to conduct business with some of Tashals gentleman. Let us not be seen as lacking in wealth and stature before them. Of do we purchase this new clothing on arrival in Tashal?

An excellent point. Personally, I would purchase new ...

Ulauf Seld wrote:We will require letters of introduction for each town and village that we will be entering, perhaps promissary notes so that we can restock our supplies at each village.

Not counting the smaller villages, your route is basically Pethwys - Leriel - Great Big Empty - Olokand. Usuror's notes are not in much circulation in villages and will not be of any use until Kaldor. Regardless, you don't have any. You do have the 240d and can expect full re-provisioning based on your commission at Leriel (in Ivinian hands).

Ulauf Seld wrote:(Is it safe to assume as you have indicated that suitable water will be available for the mules that this same water will suffice for us to fill our waterskins and the like as we move?)

Yes.
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:43 pm

Just one question left unanswered......how long to cross the 'Big Empty' before Olokand?
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Matt » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:57 pm

Ulauf Seld wrote:how long to cross the 'Big Empty' before Olokand?

Assuming good weather and no major hindrances, about ten days on foot.
Matt
The GM

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:03 am

Ulauf may use Laenvan's 'spare longbow' till we are able to order one (better two) for him in Tashal (there we should be able to find a bowcrafter which enough skills - perhaps even a contact of Laenvan).

Concerning funds each one has also his own gains to fix the ends, if need be.

For crossing the 'Big Empty' I would like to calculate rations for 15 days if ever possible. Delays happen quick enough and I don't like the idea to starve out in the wilderness...

For new clothing I also recommend to buy them when we are in Tashal. Here too Laenvan should know where...

I prefere to take a muletier along, even if he is Jarin. Fortunately Laenvan is more open minded than the Ivinians. I think we could find a thrustworthy person of Jarin stock who knows how to handle the mules. Perhaps the brother of one of the bedmaids of Laenvan?
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:35 am

Ok here we go with some more definite calculations...

Equipment required.

2 lanterns (1 hooded, 1 bullseye) 3lbs
Lamp Oil gallon with cask 10lbs
2 Tinderboxes 0.2lbs
2 Cooking Pot 12lbs
2 Buckets 2lbs
2 6 man tents 30lbs
40ft light hemp rope for the tents 6lbs
2 doz metal pitons for the tents 4lbs
2 hammers for the tents 4lbs
40ft fishing line and 1 doz hooks .5lbs
Shortbow and 2 doz arrows 3.2lbs
12 torches 12lbs
2 x 50ft heavy hemp rope 36lbs
total weight 125lbs approx

This covers our tentage, cooking, lighting and hunting needs with a few odds and ends for 'just in case'.

Each mule requires 15lbs fodder per day so for a tenday period they need 150lbs of fodder. If each mule carries it's own fodder it will have 100lbs left over to carry our equipment.

Our food requirements will be around 2lbs per day. Figure 7 men in the group 14lbs per day so round out to 15lbs per day. For a tenday period would make 150lbs of food for us.

So we have a total weight to be carried of 125 + 150lbs = 275lbs.

We will require 3 mules. This will give us an extra 25lbs for extra food if we need it.

As for our new clothes to be purchased in Tashal, I am working on each of us at least being moderately dressed. So to purchase russet shirt, leggings, tunic, cowl and linen surcoat will cost each of us 516d approx.

So our plan will be to travel to Pethwys then restock our supplies (are we going to carry coin, ursers note or depend on the good will of the Lord to ensure that he resupplies us, then from Pethwys to Leriel and agains restock with the same options. From Leriel through the 'Big Empty' to Olokand and restock again either with coin or ursers note and then from Olokand to Tashal. Remember we may have to make a return journey too depending on the outcome in Tashal.

How are we to conduct our resupplies???
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Matt » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:18 pm

Ulauf Seld wrote:So our plan will be to travel to Pethwys then restock our supplies (are we going to carry coin, ursers note or depend on the good will of the Lord to ensure that he resupplies us, then from Pethwys to Leriel and agains restock with the same options.

Pethwys is an unknown. You should plan to carry enough supplies to get you to at least Leriel. Better still, ccarry a full load of supplies and 'top off' and Leriel.

Ulauf Seld wrote:Remember we may have to make a return journey too depending on the outcome in Tashal.

How are we to conduct our resupplies???

I don't think Bjan expected you to be keeping that garnet. :wink:
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:45 pm

Ok so how long will it take us to reach Pethwys, then to Leriel and from Olokand to Tashal?
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Ulauf Seld » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:30 pm

Ok so far we have got the mules and provisions list sorted out so we can give that Bjan.

We will need the letters of introduction, ursers notes for Leriel, Olokand and Tashal probably for 150d each might be appropriate.

The garnet will be used to buy Kaldorian help and if necessary provisions for our return trip.

Each man should carry 3 days food on their person, travelling clothes, spare clothes, a leather cloak, whatever weapons they are proficient with but each man should be carrying a spear, their personal affects (brushes, combs, razors and the like) and whatever extra equipment that will ensure they can use the skills they are proficient in.

Vagnar should have a fully equipment first aid bag, Erdrick should have a writing kit, etc. I will try to add to our rations by foraging and hunting along the way but what with winter coming and it being a popular route I don't think there will be much to be had......but at least we are prepared!

We will be spending the better part of this month travelling and this I know it does not take much to make this trip uncomfortable.

If each man can look at our list of equipment and check his own gear so that we may purchase or get given what each of us will need!
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Matt » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:08 pm

Ulauf Seld wrote:Ok so how long will it take us to reach Pethwys, then to Leriel and from Olokand to Tashal?

Roughly three to four days from Geldeheim to Pethwys, five or so more days to Leriel. From Olokand to Tashal is perhaps two days.
Matt
The GM

Postby Matt » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:10 pm

Ulauf Seld wrote:usurers notes for Leriel, Olokand and Tashal probably for 150d each might be appropriate.

Usurers notes are not in common use on Orbaal, and even if they were, would be so completely discounted in Kaldor as to be near worthless. This is why Bjan gave you the silver and the garnet.
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:40 pm

Matt wrote:
Ulauf Seld wrote:usurers notes for Leriel, Olokand and Tashal probably for 150d each might be appropriate.

Usurers notes are not in common use on Orbaal, and even if they were, would be so completely discounted in Kaldor as to be near worthless. This is why Bjan gave you the silver and the garnet.

Ok deep 6 the notes....

We will rely on coin until Tashal....
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Return to Seld Warband Moot