What will our futures portend?

For Public Conversation out of the Game's Afoot Area

What will our futures portend?

Postby Lord Naarin » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:00 am

Naarin is kind of in a unique place. He has something which he wishes to fight for which is now his, the Jarldom of Lorkin. While he wants to save all of the kingdom, he is a nephew of King Alegar after all, this may not be possible. Saving Lorkin from the Jarin might still be feasable. Would anyone be interested in something like this? If we succeed, there is a territory in which most of the Ivinians have been eliminated. This would give all some interesting prospects for personal advancement. Sound off and let me know how all feel about this or if anyone has any ideas which they wish to be brought forward.
Lord Naarin
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Jorst Seld » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:54 pm

I think we should wait and see what the abassador says first.

But I agree, if the Thardans simply wanted to take Alegar as retribution for sending off warriors then it may be as 'simple' as returning home to put down the uprising.

I think we would be better served by freeing up those areas in the Akag peninsular first thus freeing up any potential allies and perhaps dealing out punishment for any that showed loyalty to the Jarin during this uprising.

Then pehaps we return to Lorkin.....

I don't fancy our warband returning there alone to be all that successful.
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Lord Naarin » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:09 am

Certainly talking to the Baron is number one. We would also need to at least inform those who sent the party of the results of the mission, which would require a trip to Geldeheim. From there we can decide out course. From an individual (player) prospective, something in more the adventure vein would be preferable over a military campaign. I do not know how easy it would be to get the Thardans out of Orbaal. Because they went to the trouble of getting local Ivinians on their side, I doubt they were just there to teach us a lesson. I think, no matter what the ulitmate outcome as to rule, they are going to break Ivinian dominance of the area. They seem to be reaching out to some so there is a possibility of coming out of the period at least somewhat intact. The fact that none of the princes came up to the plate when King Alegar was removed as the single leader leads me to believe that they do not have great hopes themselves (otherwise one of them would make a move for at least a regency of some kind). At least as free agents we could accumulate some of the trappings to which to date seem to have eluded the party. What do you others (players, not characters) feel about what we do in the future?
Lord Naarin
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:50 am

I'll just point out that the road is not completely closed in Kaldor. There have been other options mentioned beyond just the King. While true, it's unlikely that his great lords would defy him, and rounding up enough knight bachelors yourselves will take somewhat more time that Arren II is likely to need to conquer Orbaal. There's also the mercenary route. Of course, you'd have to find them first ...
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Naarin » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:17 pm

Naarin should also add his kudo's to Jorst. It was a difficult time and place. I don't think even Ron Poppeel (sells a lot through infomercials etc.) could have sold what was on the table (for reasons I stated earlier). The idea to meet with the Baron was inspired and we might at least get some information out of it. I think the warning to be nice went to both sides. If we go into the Barons residence I think we will have no trouble getting out. He seemed cozy with the king and comfortable being there and does not wish to endanger it by offing our group (dark alleys are so much more convenient for that).

On the avenues available to us, we have the winter to go (does anyone really want to head north at the onset of winter?) and both the freelance knight and mercenary routes can be tried. The problem we face for hiring anyone is paying for it. In the numbers we need, the expense would be very high I think and if the size of the gift for Haldan were any example, we don't have enough. The knight route might be possible but I think some of the King's attitude will be found in society (prefering the Jarin). It would sweeten the pot if we could offer something for service but we can discuss what that would be. The mysterious lady who popped up in a locked bathroom is also an interesting lead to follow. If her offer is genuine, it could be helpful.

When do we wish the encounter with the Baron to happen?
Lord Naarin
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Ulauf Seld » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:37 am

I think we need to meet with the Baron as soon as practicable, we need to keep things moving.....

I am not sure about us being all that safe meeting with the Baron at his residence. He can organise anything to happen to us either before or after our meeting and blame some street urchin looking for a quick penny.

The Baron has the Kings ear and I think he could talk his way out of anything should something happen to us. As he long as he can not be directly implicated he will be safe from the King's reprisals.

The down side is of course none of us know Tashal well enough to pick 'neutral' ground, unless we organise to meet him here at the temple.
May Sarajin guide my arrow....
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Lord Naarin » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:55 am

If the desire was to kill us, it would be very simple to arrange it anyplace. It could be traveling back or forth to the "neutral ground". The temple is not a fort either, I presume anyone professing the faith of Sarajin would be welcomed as we have. I also do not see why he would wish to kill us, he has effectively blocked what was dangerous to his master. The potential emnity of the King of Kaldor would weigh more heavily than the deaths of a few warriors who have not been able to effect the course of events. Looking at the numbers of our people killed both in the battle and at Lorkin, I think we are talking well in excess of a hundred or two huscarls (over a hundred in the Lorkin area alone). There were many more foot soldier deaths. The odds of finding enough volunteers to make up this deficit are rather small in my mind so I don't think he is worried about us at all. Going into the den of the lion would show that we are committed and perhaps we might be able to gain something from it (who knows?).
Lord Naarin
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Jorst Seld » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:25 pm

Has he foiled our plans....

We are still able to muster troops here in Kaldor and march them home, that we have little in the way of wealth with us now does not mean that by the end of winter we will not have expenses to play with. Messages to our Princes might yet gain us the coin we need for such a venture.

But I am thinking of keeping Orbaal to Orbaal. What of the other areas in Orbaal, Sherwyn, Theon, Pled and Marby to name but a few. Is there turmoil there, if not we might yet be able to raise the number needed to quell any Jarin uprising provided that no more Thardans are about....
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Lord Naarin » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:54 pm

Hitting up other settlements seems a good idea. I am sure the princes would have thought of it by this point. The problem will be transport. The Thardans seem to be taking particular aim at shipping. Lorkin's war boats and war ship were all destroyed I know. We should also take into account that they will need to leave sufficient forces to protect their settlements from Jarin depridations such as happened at Lorkin. They were exterminated at full strength and if the other lords have heard of this they will be loth to leave themselves open to a similar fate.

It is also an interesting idea to hit up the princes for currency. The problem, as I see it, would be getting it to Tashal in one piece. Remember what happened to the Fur Caravan. I think to be able to get funds we would have to go ourselves to get them. The problem then, once again in my mind, would be the availability of so many. I would think hundreds of trained warriors would be needed. To go so far and into such danger would require a lot of money per person. We might also be able to gain the services of some knights who wish adventure but I really cannot see more than a few dozen at most finding helping Ivinians palatable. We do have a poor reputation around the island for a reason.

Unless the Thardans decide that Orbaal is not really worth the effort, I think that they will be victorious. No kingdom has stood against them for long and the showing our forces have made do not make it look good for breaking their string of victories. The best I think we can hope for is to slow them down sufficently that they might lose interest. While all of the kingdom might not be able to be saved, at least something might be. We should all begin looking forward to our own futures. Death in battle does not scare Naarin. Poverty and exile are not his strong suit. Evidently some of our bretheren looked at the situation and came to a similar conclusion and have thrown in with the enemy. We might just have a Humpty Dumpty situation here. Sorry for all the defeatist thought but there really don't seem that many rays of sunshine to step into.
Lord Naarin
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Jorst Seld » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:23 am

As for currency we might be able to arrange for a promissary note of some kind we do not necessarily need hard currency sent to us.

It appears that only the fleets along the Akag peninsular suffered from the Thardans. We might yet find longboats ready for sea elsewhere. Looking at the situation Alegar sent our warriors and they would have travelled by longboat. Therefore he has taken our King the man who sent the warriors and destroyed our longboats the means of sending the warriors.

Perhaps it was the Thardans idea to merely capture our King destroy our longboats and then to keep us tied up in Orbaal (so as not to retaliate any further) and organise the Jarin uprising. Now the uprising has started the Thardans have withdrawn their troops but continue to support them with arms and logistics.

This logistical support might yet be coming from Melderyn also, after all Arren is related to the Melderyn King.
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Lord Naarin » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:30 am

At this point I am not sure that we would get anyone to give us money on a note from the monarch of Orbaal. Wars tend to devalue these things and I think by this point everyone knows that Tharda is kicking Orbaal's collective butt. It is worth a shot, maybe we could talk to some merchants and see if they would be willing to even accept them (saving us the trouble of sending for one if they will not).

That Lorkin was hit and the war ship and boats were taken out seems to me to be more than just a whim. I think that we may find an interdiction of vessels by the Thardans but this is really not our problem at this point. We can talk to the Baron and see if there is a chance of getting Uncle Alegar back from them. Without a single, strong leader control will be a problem. It is hard to govern by concensus as the princes are attempting. One of them may have to step up to the plate and have himself declaired king. Spring will tell us if the Thardans are going to rest on their laurels or continue with their campaign.
Lord Naarin
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:41 am

For the moment, it seems that the intentions of the Thardans will have to wait until you can have a conversation with the Baron.

As to money, the garnet is worth £20 or so and that's not a small sum if one is talking mercenaries. OTOH, a usuror's note from Orbaal right now would be heavily discounted - but I'm not sure that's Jorst was saying. If I read that right, you're looking for a loan from mercantylers here in Tashal/Kaldor. It's possible someone might be willing to take a risk there, although I imagine the collateral would have to something much greater than a garnet. :wink:
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Naarin » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:29 pm

I heartily concur with meeting the Baron. We can duke out the next move after that.
Lord Naarin
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:43 pm

There are no dukes in Kaldor ... :wink:
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Naarin » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:29 pm

5. dukes, Slang. fists; hands: Put up your dukes.
–verb (used with object) 6. Slang. to hit or thrash with the fists (sometimes fol. by out): He duked me because he said I had insulted him. The bully said he was going to duke out anyone who disagreed.
—Idiom7. duke it out, to fight, esp. with the fists; do battle: The adversaries were prepared to duke it out in the alley.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Lord Naarin
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:39 pm

Really, I had no idea ... 8)
Matt
The GM

Return to Seld Warband Moot