Azura 27, 730 - In the Hall of Caer Geldeheim

The Public Area for the PBF

Azura 27, 730 - In the Hall of Caer Geldeheim

Postby Matt » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:04 pm

Come the evening, the lords and huscarls gathered in the great hall of Caer Geldeheim to feast at the table of the Taareskelds. As befitting their service, the Seld Warband had a place of honor in the hall. Though not as raucous as some feasts - with the King in captivity it was not fitting - the warriors of Orbaal still consumed many roasts of meat, downed horns of mead, sang songs of lore, and engaged in feats of strength. They beat the tables with their fists when the princes entered, and hailed their comrades in arms.

In time, Bjan Drogo joined the Selds, and smiled in satisfaction. “I am proud of you all - especially those of you I trained. You - Jorst Seld, and you - Haefnir Raldar. Though you are not a Seld, your courage is surely the equal of any man in the kingdom. You will do great deeds alongside these your peers I am sure. Tell me, what can I do to aid your task? I know of a man - one Erdrick - who is a fine scout and a skilled mapper. He is here in the hall, and may be of use to you. And then there is Tandir - a strong fortress it is. Ask - I shall do what I can to help.”
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:03 pm

Ulauf downing the last of his mead.... turns to Bjan and says

"I think that if we are to succeed in this plan, we would need at least 2 warboats fully crewed, perchance a map of Tandir and the surrounds and provisions to last at least a ten day while on shore"

Turning to his companions...."Is there any thing that I may have missed...?"
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Matt » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:14 am

Ulauf Seld wrote:"I think that if we are to succeed in this plan, we would need at least 2 warboats fully crewed, perchance a map of Tandir and the surrounds and provisions to last at least a ten day while on shore"

Bjan replies, "I have no doubt of the provisions you ask, and we shall do our best to get you a map. As to the second warboat - that is not possible. But one can be spared as the others will be needed for other expeditions."

"Still, I have been to Tandir - shall I tell you of its defenses, or do you intend merely to raid the lower town?"
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:19 am

Ulauf's eye widen like an idea is forming.....he leans towards Bjan and says..."Other expeditions you say, good sir, what if we could launch several viking against more than 1 village along the coast this would surely worry the invaders and with the Grey Slayer watching over us, thin out the garrison of Tandir a little more. With each viking we might muster giving our attack against Tandir more chance of success...."

"Forgive me Bjan I wander from your point tell me of Tandir and let us see what we can achieve...."

"One warboat will suffice, if that is all that can be spared.....we shall make them pay for their over confidence none the less"

Ulauf breaks into a smirk "if this viking should succeed imagine the looks on their faces when they find out it was done by 7 men.." Ulauf breaks into a slight laugh.

"Of this man Ederick, tell me more of him and is he good with bow, for I fear that we will need men of skill with bow and sword for the time for talking is over, Bjan if you give your word on this man than that is confidence enough for me."

But deep down Ulauf wonders if this plan can truley succeed.
Last edited by Ulauf Seld on Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Jorst Seld » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:18 am

Jorst, who had been listening to his older brother, turned to Bjan.

"I would hear more of the disposition of Tandir Castle. Is there any 'best' way to approach it?"

Always a man of few words, Jorst sat back, waiting for the old war master to respond.
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:25 am

Bjan refilled his horn from a passing servant, and waiting for her to be out of earshot, savored the sweet honeyed drink. His piercing gray eyes lingered for but a moment more, and he turned back to the table.

"Your daring is admirable young Seld. I tell you in confidence the other two warboats go to gather strength and retake Lorkin before the winter! It is but lightly held by Jarin scum, and they shall melt before us as they have in the past. These Southrons, though, are another matter. They are not so easily cowed, and it will take both boldness and cunning to defeat them."

He looked about the hall once again. "I do not see Erdrick at the moment, although I'm sure he was here. Well, if he appears I shall call him over - and to answer your question, Ulauf, I know he is as skilled with the bow as any of our militia. Meanwhile, let us discuss Tandir."

"Tandir is one of the strongest fortifications in Orbaal. I'm shocked that the Southrons could take it, and can only surmise that it was lightly defended when the Verakaars raided Geldeheim. There may also have been treachery involved," he mused, lightly stroking his well-kept beard. "The town is at the bottom of a sheltered bay, a very safe harbor even in the fiercest storms. Like all places in Orbaal, it has too many Jarin - more than a hundred households. Now, as you know, the Valhakar of the Verakaars - named Bjan like me - is a fiery, ill-tempered bear of a man. He and King Alegar have hated each other for years, and it's never pleasant when the two of them are in the same hall. If rumors are true, Bjan Verakaar is dead, and most of his men perished with him when they returned to Tandir and found the castle held against them."

"The caer itself is imposing. It sits on a rocky outcrop nearly two hundred feet above the town. Sheer cliffs protect it from the seaward side, and a long winding trail open to archers from the castle protect the landward side. The outer walls are not especially strong, but even should an attacker gain the outer bailey, the inner still remains and the approach to the keep - on the highest point of the crag - is a bridge across a narrow gorge protected by two gatehouses in the shadow of a stout tower. With the Southrons installed there, they have a firm foothold indeed. If King Alegar is there, you can be sure he's being held in the keep."
Matt
The GM

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:26 pm

Having listened with half closed eyes for better hearing Laenvan finishes his last bite then clears his throat with a gulp of fine mead. "War master" he addresses Bjan Dogo "allow me to ask you of what material Caer Tandir is built? Is it made completely of wood? Half wood and half stone or completely of stone, which Halea may prevent? And what of the roofs? Are they all thatched or tiled?"

In his thoughts Laenvan is already checking the possibilities to harass Caer Tandir with fire arrows. Under the right circumstances he should be able to hit a roof at a range from more ore less 250 yards - even if it has to be from the planks of an ivanian warboat... Only Agrik will prevent that none of the 10 arrows he is able to shoot per minute will hit nothing inflammable...
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:54 pm

"The castle is entirely of stone, with tiled roofs. It is said that it was enhanced and expanded some thirty years ago by a mason from the continent. However, I'm sure there are some wooden outbuildings."
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:13 pm

Ulauf turns to Bjan "very well Bjan if Erdrick has your recommendation then that is recommendation enough."

"How long will it take to organise and provision the warboat and men?"

Looking between Igon and Bjan, Ulauf says "from where will the men be selected do we call for volunteers or do you pick the men yourselves. For the attack on Hoag I would suggest only a few skirmishers with the main body being our famed Huscarls. In fact Laenvan, Erdrick, our as yet unselected kinsman and myself my serve as the archers you require. That would free up more space for Huscarls."
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Matt » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:41 pm

Bjan laughed, and clapped Ulauf on the shoulder. "Ah, youth! Where resources are infinite and all must be done at once. I remember such things. Alas, it is not fated to last. Ulauf - brave lad - the warboat you may have as early as tomorrow. As to many huscarls - no. I believe we can add 15-20 volunteers to your raid, and perhaps as many as four will be huscarls. As I understand your plan, they shall raid Hoeg and return. Indeed it is meet they do - we cannot squander our strength at this time."

Bjan looked to say more, but at that moment Suri Sweyrn, High Priest of Sarajin, came by the table and said, "Hail son Igon! You and your kin make me proud to be your second father! But tell me, son Igon, when shall I have a grandson to match my fine granddaughter?"
Matt
The GM

Postby Igon Seld » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:00 pm

Matt wrote:Bjan looked to say more, but at that moment Suri Sweyrn, High Priest of Sarajin, came by the table and said, "Hail son Igon! You and your kin make me proud to be your second father! But tell me, son Igon, when shall I have a grandson to match my fine granddaughter?"

Igon looks up at his father in law and smiles. "Father I can asure you it not for lack of trying." Igons face takes on a slighty grim look as a flash of memory of the battle and his foes pushes to the front of his thoughts... " But it may be sometime until I can spend time with my loving wife trying for a son... but then the slayer has his own plans and we but march on and do what we can with the time aloted."
Smiling, Igon stands and claps his father in law on the shoulders.. "I'm sure you will have many grandsons to make you proud! My sons will not have to live with the threat the southrons ever if we succeed. They will be to afraid to ever come north again!"
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:24 pm

Smiling, Suri nodded. "Indeed, Igon, you speak what we all feel in our hearts." He turned to Drogo. "So, Drogo. Do you give your advice here? The same advice you gave the King to seize Leriel?"

Bjan Drogo stood, his face grim. "I have no quarrel with you Suri Sweyrn. Do not make one with me. I was at Fjaga - you were not."

"No, I was not at Fjaga. But if I had been, I would not have returned to feast in the hall of the King who did not return from the battle."

Bjan Drogo's eyes flashed and all could see murderous rage in them. "When this is all over, this matter will still lie between us Suri Sweyrn."

"Let it be so," said Sweyrn and he turned and walked off.

"Igon," said Bjan. "I shall do what I can to aid your expedition. You have but to ask." And he too turned and left.
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:16 pm

Ulauf turns to his companions...."I sense some bad blood there, I wise man would do well not to be in the middle..."

"If there is nothing else pressing this night, with our King captured and army defeated I am in no mood for feasting this night, I will retire for there will be enough work for us all on the morrow!"

"Good night all"

With that Ulauf stands, drains the remains of his mead and leaves the table retiring to bed.
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Igon Seld » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:09 pm

Ulauf Seld wrote:Ulauf turns to his companions...."I sense some bad blood there, I wise man would do well not to be in the middle..."

"If there is nothing else pressing this night, with our King captured and army defeated I am in no mood for feasting this night, I will retire for there will be enough work for us all on the morrow!"

"Good night all"

With that Ulauf stands, drains the remains of his mead and leaves the table retiring to bed.

"A sound plan. till tomorrow then." Igon rises and takes his leave bidding goodnight to those he knows on the way out.
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:24 pm

I'll assume that unless I hear otherwise, Jorst, Laenvan, and Haefnir will also retire soon enough and all will return to the Seld clanhouse. If someone would like to do something different, please reply here or in your private area.
Matt
The GM

Postby Erdrick » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:09 am

Erdrick strolls into the hall, a bundle of scrolls under his arm. He looks around the hall seeing the feast seems to be coming to a close. Undecided if he should leave or stay, his stomach makes the decision for him.

Sitting down at a nearby table, he sets down the scrolls and grabs what little food and wine that may be left. Sipping the wine, he unrolls a particularly large scroll, and begins to study it.

((Doh, guess I'm just a little too late...))
Erdrick
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:02 am

Laenvan has gulped down his last mead the moment Erdrick enters. Seeing that he sits alone at a table and eating to satisfy his hunger, he decides to stay for one word or two and strolls over to him.

"Hail to you, good man. After the descripton I got you have to be Erdrick. But let introduce me first. Laenvan Hawkeye, master with the longbow from Tashal, in service of Clan Seld at the moment and survivor of Fjaga." He finishes his introduction with a sad smile and stretches out his hand...

[What will be your reaction, Erdrick?]
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:32 am

[GM: This is fine - go with it. Erdrick would also have been at Fjaga.]
Matt
The GM

Postby Erdrick » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:43 am

"Ah, yes, I would be Erdrick, and good to meet you", he sets down his wine and shakes your hand, "I too was at Fjaga, and a dark day it was. I certainly hope that such shall not happen again."

"In the coming battles, we must be prepared. To prepare, we must determine which terrain is best suited for our strikes. We cannot afford to march on open ground again. Knowing our enemies strengths and weaknesses will certainly assist us in choosing where to strike."
Erdrick
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:11 pm

"Very wise words and this from such a fierce ivanian warrior like you" Laenvan teases with smirking eyes. He takes place with Erdrick at the table and is very interested in the large scroll that Edrick has unfolded on the table. "You seem really to be an extraordinary exemplary, Erdrick. Fine work." He studies the plan for a time and takes a sip from his drinkhorn. "As you know by now I'm not from Orbaal, so I would really apreciate if you could explain me the details on this scroll and give me a short lecture now and perhaps more during our trip on the boat about the geography of Orbaal. What do you say brave man, not to tired?"
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:35 pm

With this, we conclude the festivities in the hall. Laenvan and Erdrick are free to continue their discussion in their own area. Further discussion of plans with the group (encouraged) should take place in the Seld Moot. I shall shortly open a new thread here for events in the morning.
Matt
The GM

Return to The Game's Afoot