Azura 29, 730 - Hoeg Village

The Public Area for the PBF

Azura 29, 730 - Hoeg Village

Postby Matt » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:26 pm

The Seld warband set out from the sheltered beach where the warboat Nass had been hauled partway out of the water. Jorst and the two Gundar light foot - Sven and Olaf - led the way with Igon and the archers next, and Haefnir Raldar bringing up the rear. They knew from Edrick’s map to follow the coast, and it did not take them long to traverse the two or so miles to the outskirts of Hoeg. Only once was their march disturbed, by some nocturnal creature no doubt more surprised to see a large band of armed men than they were to see it. It quickly disappeared into the undergrowth.

As the band neared the village, the tangled roots and plants of the forest gave way to a path, not especially well-trodden, but easier to manage than the forest floor. The band slowed, and before long, they could smell the hearths of Hoeg.

It was too dark to make out much of the village itself, but there was enough light to discern perhaps a dozen cottages and they could also see the thran nearer to them. The latter consisted of two longhouses and a couple of outbuildings surrounded by a low earthen wall. The cottages were arranged on either side of a dirt track which ran south from the thran. Several of the cottages were closer to the water - fishermen, no doubt. The fields and pastures must lay further south, but it was too dark to be sure. Ulauf and Erdrick made ready to scout the village.

[GM: The scouting will continue in the E & U forum, but feel free to make last minute comments and suggestions in this thread.]
Last edited by Matt on Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
The GM

Postby Igon Seld » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:03 pm

Igon suggests that the rest of the party take up defensive positions to be able to cover the scouts with bow fire if needed.
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:04 pm

Ulauf and Erdrick return to the group. Ulauf suggests that they retire into the woods a little.

Uluaf drops into a squat and looks back over his shoulder towards Hoag and says "Friends, it appears that they do not suspect our attack I saw no guards posted" Looking back at his companions Ulauf continues "The thran is situated on a small hillock, not much, but enough to give the defenders a slight advantage. There are twelve cottages in the village, seven running down the western side of the road, and five the eastern. Save for one, the nearest cottage to the thran is about 100 feet away. Just north of the village, a small stream drains into the bay, but is easily forded at any point as it's not more than a foot deep anywhere you can see."

As he describes the village he is drawing a plan in the dirt at his feet.

"With little more than 1/2 a watch left before first light I suggest that we set a watch and await Lord Anaka's arrival, I will watch as I seem to have rested well onboard the Ness"

Ulauf shifting his weight from one leg to the other continues "I would suggest brother that you take the huscarls and Lord Anaka's men and take the thran, Erdrick, Laenvan, Olaf, Sven and I will cover you with our bows and cousin I would recommend that you lead the assault on the thran with the permission of Lord Anaka."

Looking at each member of the group Ulauf contines "Once the thran is taken then the Jarin remnants should provide no resistance to us and we can set fire to the village and then Lord Anaka's men can retire to the Ness"
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Igon Seld » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:09 pm

Igon smiles as his cousin lays out his plan. "A fine idea Ulauf and you know me well."
An hard edge comes over Igons expression. "These traitors are about to learn a hard lesson, maybe a few of them will live long enough to remember it."
"Come, lets find a place to wait for Lord Anaka and his raiders."
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:33 am

Listening carefully Laenvan has nothing to add and even if he likes to talk normally he is silent on this warpath. Before settling down to take a little nap, he changes his bows as it is his custom to do every hour as not to overstrain them. Laenvan doesn't expect to sleep more than an hour anyway. Then he checks again every arrow, his shortsword and buckler, checks if he can easily draw them and if the edge of his triangular bladed shortsword is still sharp enough.
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Jorst Seld » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:59 am

Jorst merely nods at his brother's suggestion. They would await Lord Anaka's arrival in silence.
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:58 am

Shortly before dawn, Lord Anaka, all his huscarls save his son Lars, and five of his light foot, came along the path, eleven in total. “Hail, Ulauf Seld,” said Anaka, “All is well here I see.”

Ulauf replied in kind, and related the scouting of the village as the other members of the warband awoke. Lord Anaka deferred to Igon, indicating that as the Selds proposed this viking, they should have the leadership of it. With polite thanks, the band prepared themselves and moved into the village.

There was clear activity in the village as the sun rose. They could see that the fields to the south had all been harvested, though it did not look like the stubble had been gleaned yet. The fields were empty. In the village, children were at play, and women could be seen in the gardens and about their chores. Some women with buckets were walking towards the stream, but turned and dropping the buckets, fled as they saw the approaching warriors. Quickening their pace, the huscarls and spearmen moved to the thran, the archers covering them. Yet there was no resistance. The women had fled into cottages, and others had gathered young children and hidden indoors. The thran appeared undefended.
Matt
The GM

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:31 pm

One arrow nocked but the string not pulled back and an other arrow ready in his bowhand Laenvan searches carefully the thran but also the village as his sourroundings for an enemy as a target.
His mouth has nearly gone dry by now because of the mounting tension. But yearlong experience has made him hold back spittle to moisten his mouth.
Something seems to be very, very strange around here - which only makes him more alert...
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:16 pm

Scanning the thran and the village, Laenvan sees no potential targets. Some village animals (chickens, goats, etc.) wander about, but do not appear threatening. Through the gaps in the earthworks of the thran, little can be seen, but there is no evidence anyone is outside.

Next steps?
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:34 pm

Ulauf will move behind the advancing warband, with arrow nocked but not drawn as they advance on the thran......waiting for targets!
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Matt » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:11 pm

No targets as yet for the archers. What do the huscarls do?
Matt
The GM

Postby Jorst Seld » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:56 pm

Matt wrote:No targets as yet for the archers. What do the huscarls do?

The Huscarls move forward cautiously, towards the thran, spreading out to surround it...
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:39 pm

With only nine huscarls (including Igon), surrounding the thran is not possible, but covering the entrances poses no problem.

As Igon, Jorst, and Haefnir approach one of the breaks in the earthworks, an elderly woman emerges from one of the longhouses. Another old woman accompanies her, and she comes forward to the band. A matron indeed, her long silver hair tied in a bun and wearing fine clothes which proclaim her station, she comes up to you with no fear.

"I am Ilya Hoeg," she says. "What mean you in my village?"
Matt
The GM

Postby Igon Seld » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:30 pm

Matt wrote:"I am Ilya Hoeg," she says. "What mean you in my village?"

Igon moves toward her. "Where are your traitorous men old woman? Where are the dogs that would lick the boots of the southron bastards?"
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:00 am

Ilya bristles. "So," she says, "I can see what sort of 'men' we breed these days. How dare you speak to me that way you young pup!"

"My sons have given their lives in the attempt to retake Tandir. My lord died in the defense of his thran. Where were you when the Southrons took the Jarin men yesterday? Where were you when they took the young women of my household? Craven fools! That's what you are! You who come with great arrogance to overawe women and children and then dare insult me! You should crawl on your bellies - for you are not men in my eyes!"
Matt
The GM

Postby Erdrick » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:26 am

Erdrick stays back a bit, arrow nocked and ready. Scanning outside the village for signs of activity.
Erdrick
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Jorst Seld » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:03 am

Matt wrote:Ilya bristles. "So," she says, "I can see what sort of 'men' we breed these days. How dare you speak to me that way you young pup!"

"My sons have given their lives in the attempt to retake Tandir. My lord died in the defense of his thran. Where were you when the Southrons took the Jarin men yesterday? Where were you when they took the young women of my household? Craven fools! That's what you are! You who come with great arrogance to overawe women and children and then dare insult me! You should crawl on your bellies - for you are not men in my eyes!"

Jorst steps forward.

"If it is as you say, Matron Ilya, then we will sing your menfolk's praises in the halls of our forefathers. We have come to scout this area, and learn the truth of what has happend here. Tales have been told that this thran gave over to the Southrons. If that is not so, then valiant still are the people of Hoeg!"
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:59 am

Ilya Hoeg threw back her head. "We have given up to no one. Not the Southrons and not that fool Alegar." Though old, they could see the striking woman she must have been, and the fierce nature that still burned within. "When Alegar Taareskeld sought to punish Leriel, our Lord Bjan Verakaar sought to punish him. The Hoeg huscarls answered the call, but no sooner had they raided in Geldesfjord than word came that Tandir had been taken! All my sons died trying to retake the fortress for Lord Verakaar, who also fell in the attempt. Now they all feast in Talagaad."

"Yesterday, just after dawn the Southrons came - just like you did today. Only yesterday, the Jarin men were still here and so was Lord Hoeg. Old fool," she muttered. "Too old to wield a blade, but not too old to fight for his land." She looked back towards the thran. "He lies there now. The Southrons did not wish to kill him - their master sought to spare him, but Hoeg would have none of that. He kept attacking and so they killed him. They took all the young daughters and wives of my house and the Jarin men. Then they marched towards Quiam."
Matt
The GM

Postby Igon Seld » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:00 pm

Igon shakes his head mockingly at old Ilya. "Your men took up arms against the King, the fact of southrons gutting them does not change the fact that you're traitors to your King."

Igon turns to Jorst. "Cousin, take some men and search the village."
Turning to Lord Anaka... "My lord... shall we search the hall before we burn this nest of treasonous vipers to the ground?"
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:21 pm

Lord Anaka glances at Ilya Hoeg, who stands her ground defiantly. "I like not the idea of burning a village of defenseless women and children. By all means, let us search. If we find any men or even boys with a sprout on their chins, let us mete out their just desserts. But as for burning the village, I and mine will have no part of that, but neither shall we hinder you."

Hearing these words, Ilya spits in the dirt before Igon and Anaka, and starts back to the thran.
Matt
The GM

Postby Jorst Seld » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:14 pm

Jorst put his hand on his cousin's should, and whispers in his ear.

He then turns and smiles at Ilya. For some reason those nearby do not get a sense that this is a pleasant smile.

"Towards Quiam, you say....

"How many Southrons were there? and how many did they take?"

"Perhaps, if you are helpful, I can persuade my kinsmen that their efforts might be better directed elsewhere..."
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Igon Seld » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:34 pm

Matt wrote:Lord Anaka glances at Ilya Hoeg, who stands her ground defiantly. "I like not the idea of burning a village of defenseless women and children. By all means, let us search. If we find any men or even boys with a sprout on their chins, let us mete out their just desserts. But as for burning the village, I and mine will have no part of that, but neither shall we hinder you."

Hearing these words, Ilya spits in the dirt before Igon and Anaka, and starts back to the thran.

Igon turns so Ilya will not see the wink that he gives Anaka. "If her story be true and not laced with falsehood then I bow to your wisdom and mercy... I will not harm them and will even offer the prayers of Sarajin upon them. If she lies... " Igon leaves that last sentance hanging but with a hint of deadly threat.

"Come... lets see if we can discern any useful information here. I wonder what they are doing with the Jarin?"
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:07 pm

Ilya stops. "I do not lie, young puppy. You have need of manners. But I shall answer the question of your huscarl. The Southrons came in force. More than forty there were. Half of them were archers, and they stood off from the village. The others were men at arms, and they rounded up the Jarin men. There were some mounted - perhaps four or five. They called their master 'Sir Denyl.' Of the Jarin they took, there were twenty-five or so - men and boys old enough to act as men."

[GM: So, who searches the village? Who searches the thran? What next?]
Matt
The GM

Postby Jorst Seld » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:15 pm

Matt wrote:
[GM: So, who searches the village? Who searches the thran? What next?]

[Jorst and the Anaka huscarls search the thran, the others the village]
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Ulauf Seld » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:27 pm

Ulauf grabs Sven and Olaf and leads them into the village.....with a look back over his shoulder he says to the rest of the warband "You heard my brother, we are burning daylight lets have a look around"

With a wave of his hand Ulauf tells groups of men to search out different areas of the village so that each man has at least one companion at all times.
Last edited by Ulauf Seld on Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Next

Return to The Game's Afoot