Azura 29, 730 - Arriving at Tandir

The Public Area for the PBF

Azura 29, 730 - Arriving at Tandir

Postby Matt » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:26 pm

As the warband approaches Tandir, the sun is low in the western sky, and it’s nearing sunset. The group can see many Jarin peasants about their business, returning from the stubbled fields, herding goats, sheep, and pigs, working in their plots, and all the myriad of tasks which consume the life of the peasantry. None of the peasants seem to notice the warband just behind the treeline. Ahead looms the castle, perched at the summit of a hill which slopes gently on its southern face, but forms precipitous inclines on the others. They note that the outer bailey of the castle is actually built on the slope itself, and the western wall of the outer bailey slopes with the contours of the hill. The keep, built on the very apex of the outcropping, stands at least four stories tall with several taller towers. They had thought Geldeheim and impressive fortification, but Tandir was an order above.

Further up, near the bay, there seemed to be less activity, and where they had expected to see ships, there were none save some smaller fishing craft and coasters. They could, however, see the burnt skeleton of what must have once been a mighty dragonship - King Alegar’s no doubt. Another burnt-out hulk could once have been a longship. While they could see movement in the castle itself, and the gates stood open, there seemed to be no soldiers in the town itself.

[GM: Here is the layout of Tandir:

Next steps?]
Matt
The GM

Postby Igon Seld » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:32 pm

Well I would suggest finding a good spot to observe what's happening for a few days without getting caught or noticed.
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:48 pm

Ulauf nodding in agreement says "Sounds good to me.....I would suggest the woods to the west of the town. We can watch the changing of the watch and the general comings and goings of the castle. We must find out who is garrisoning this fortification and in what numbers."

Looking at Igon Ulauf continues "I would suggest that we stay here until nightfall then move into position then. If the situation warrants I might try to sneak into the town and have a look up close.....but we will see!"

"We only need a place to lay up tonight and get some rest, on the morrow, I will go and scout a better position from where we can watch the town."
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Igon Seld » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:50 pm

"tis a sound plan. Lets get some rest."
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:08 pm

As night falls, you make your way along the treeline to the south and then to a point in the woods due west of the '40' notation in the contour line. With the setting of the sun, the castle gates close, and torches can be seen in the castle indicating the watch.

Feel free to talk amongst yourselves as we await the dawn.
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:03 pm

As darkness falls and the warband settle in Ulauf says "We should set a watch this night. Once it is dark I will make my way into the town near the coastline the walled enclosure could be the clanhouses. I would like to see what is happening in there if anything."

Looking at the assembled warband Ulauf continues "I will wait till nearly midnight before venturing out. So if there are no objections I shall take the first watch with Olaf and Sven, then Laenvan and Erdrick so that when I go forth I shall have the protection of their bows should I need it, as the it is nearly a full moon looking at the sky. Igon and Jorst should take the last watch as this way you can hopefully get a restful sleep."

"With the dawn we can move our encampment to a better vantage point if one can be found."

Ulauf looking at his companions says "How does this plan sound to you, is there fault or omissions on my part?"
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Matt » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:04 am

Ulauf Seld wrote:... as the it is nearly a full moon looking at the sky.

[GM: As it's Azura 29, there is just the barest sliver of a moon. Tomorrow is Yaelmor. Further, the longhouses are on the other side of the hill. As a result, the archers won't be able to cover you. :wink:]

Judging the hour about midnight, Ulauf slips off just as Erdrick and Laenvan relieve the spearmen. Despite his best intentions, Ulauf had taken an inviluntary nap or two during the first watch, and as he set off, realized he was grateful for the little sleep. The awake members of the band watch as he makes his way along the treeline, and disappears into the inky blackness of the night.

[GM: We'll pick this narrative up in Ulauf's Private Area. Others may still post here as needed.]
Matt
The GM

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:09 pm

During his watch Laenvan has some ideas about Tandir Castle...

[OOC: GM see the entry 'Tandir - During his watch' in Laenvans private area]
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:54 am

At this point, Ulauf has been gone about an hour, and all is quiet in the town and the castle.
Matt
The GM

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:49 am

Having finished his watch duty, Laenvan checks if Igon is still or anew awake...
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Igon Seld » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:36 pm

Igon takes his turn @ watch when his time comes.
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:25 pm

When Igons turn comes to take his share of the nightwatch, he is astonished to find Laenvan half a sleep, sitting near him. Laenvan startles from his dozing the moment Igon takes up his arms. He shakes his head to clear his thoughts from the sweet webs of his dreams...

"Ahhh... Lord Igon..." He rises with him. "During my watch something of a plan has come to my mind, but if it was a gift from Larani or a lure from Agrik... only the future will tell. I prefer to speak with you alone about it, before we present it to the band, if at all." He stretches his body and circulates his limbs then he follows Igon to a secluded place where they still can have a good eye over the whole scenery but are away enough not to have to whisper for conversation.
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Return to The Game's Afoot