Azura 30, 730 - The Visitor

The Public Area for the PBF

Azura 30, 730 - The Visitor

Postby Matt » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:48 pm

Vagnar stood to take his leave of the warband, his face eerily uplit by the small, sheltered fire. As he turned to depart, he let out a small gasp of surprise.

“Not leaving on my account I trust?” Instantly every member of the warband was on his feet, weapons drawn. Like an apparition, a man emerged from the darkness and moved into the small circle of light. He was clad in fine leather and velvet, his high-collared black doublet adorned with a rampant gold lion. Around his waist was a heavy belt, made from links of gold, and from it hung a sword on the left, its ornate hilt adorned with gold wire and a large blood-red cabuchon in the pommel. A similar dagger hung from the belt on the right side. Around his neck there was a silver chain with a large rose pendant. His blonde hair swept back from his face and they looked upon a man in his prime, handsome and bearded, his face hard from veteran service. His eyes, gray and piercing, bore into them, and each man felt a small, quivering frisson of fear. He stopped near the edge, his left hand resting lightly on the haft of the sword. He held out his right hand, and on his third finger they saw a ring of gold set with a fiery topaz.

“No, not leaving at all,” he repeated as he looked at each of them in turn. “I am Cedric Arlen, Earl of Westmarch. Welcome to Tandir.”
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Igon Seld » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:02 pm

Igon glances quickly about looking for the archers... "You are brave man Cedric Arlen to come into our camp, even with the protection of your troops about us... "
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Matt » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:51 pm

Lord Westmarch smiles. "I have come to you alone. None of my soldiers are any closer than the walls of the castle."
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Igon Seld » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:36 pm

Not trusting the southron, Igon keeps a wary eye open as he responds politely but firmly.

"Alone? Brave indeed. What then do we owe to this honour Lord Westmarch? Why do you bother with a simple band of travellers?"
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Matt » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:00 pm

"A simple band of travelers? How modest. Simple? No, I recognize a viking warband when I see one. The only question of course, is which band? There are so many rumors these days. When I learned of your arrival, I was understandably curious to meet you. And, perhaps to better understand your intentions." His Ivinian is quite good, although with a slight accent.
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Ulauf Seld » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:17 pm

"We could bring the war to end right now." Ulauf says with an arrow nocked in his bow and aimed at the southron's heart.

"What have you done with our King, Lord of the Westmarch?"
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Matt » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:02 pm

"Done with your King? Only what my Sovereign Lord has commanded. And you think you might end this war through my death?" Westmarch shakes his head ruefully. " You have no idea what you're dealing with. True, I am the Lord Marshal of Tharda, but do not be deceived by my office. I am but the servant of my King who is now master of this fjord. Your king? To Tharda, Ivinian warriors, where he will learn Southron hospitality." Westmarch grins again, but not at all mirthfully.

"Yet you think my death will end this war? Fools! You mistake my importance. True, I learned my craft from the master Arren of Melderyn whose untimely death left me the tutor. Yet make no mistake, the pupil has long surpassed his teacher. I serve Arren II who alone rules. You have heard the legend? No King named Arren has ever lost a battle? You would do well to heed it.

So, Seld warband, will you join him? Will you bow to the inevitable and prosper? If you doubt me, loose that arrow. Strike me down, but aim for the Rose, the symbol of my office. What say you Selds - do you join the winning side or not?
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:39 am

*Sorcery* a shocked Laenvan thinks. *How could he slip past our notice otherwise.* Having nocked an arrow he hasn't neither risen the bow nor draw back the string. He turns his back to the unexpected and intimidating visitor, trying to recognize any mouvemnt in the dark outside. He starts sweating, heart racing...
User avatar
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:29 pm
Location: Bern, Switzerland

Postby Igon Seld » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:17 am

"You name us Seld... Interesting. How did you come to such inteligence? Spies no doubt. And as for your offer... surely you must jest? You must know that I'm incapable of betraying my King as you are yours? Besides... traitors never make trust worrthy allies, you never know when they will betray you in turn, and I think you know this... so I will decline your offer to betray everything I and my clan have fought for over the generations."

Igon levels Ice Hammer at the southron and smiles... "I like your style and courage Lord Marshal... in another world I may have called you friend, but that is not the case here and now. You and your kind are invaders of my home and I will defend it to my last breath. I offer YOU the chance to surrender.... you may think yourself uninportant, but your King may not. he may be inclined to trade hostages."

Igon knows his words sound cocky and as he finishes he looks around once more waiting for the marshals "ace card" to be revealed.
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Matt » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:41 am

Westmarch fixes his eyes on Igon, and says levelly, "What king? You have no king. The man you once hailed as king is not going to be ransomed for me or anyone else. He will be immured within Caer Coranan for the rest of his life. This is Jara, Orbaal no longer exists."

"Admittedly, there are a few loose ends to tie up, but that's a matter of time. You would not be betraying anyone; your family would keep their lands, and you here might even earn new ones. Larger ones. Expanding what your clan has fought for over the generations."

"As to would you betray us? I doubt it, but then, even if you did - we would know." He gestures back towards Tandir. "Do you like this castle? A generation ago a mason from Lythia helped the Verakaars to expand the stronghold in ways they never imagined. It enabled their clan to defy and feud with the man you call king. And when the moment was right, we took it away."

"Think about my offer young Selds. It is a better one than you'll get in Geldeheim. Now, I must be going. Ponder well, and if you decide correctly, present yourselves at the castle in the morning. If you decide incorrectly, then tell them in Geldeheim what I have said."
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Igon Seld » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:33 am

Still suspecting a hidden danger, Igon turns to his kinsmen... "Let him go... we gain nothing if we act rashly now."

Turning to the Lord Marshal... "I can not speak for my clan, so I must decline to enter yon caer willingly, but will return to Geldeheim and report to my clan head."
Last edited by Igon Seld on Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Matt » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:13 am

The Earl of Westmarch grins again, shakes his head in amusement, and slowly fades away. Shortly before he disappears entirely, he speaks once more.

"Consider my words, young Selds."
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:05 pm

Let's hasten our pace and be away as soon as possible.

Vagnar, I consider that you make out a new appointement with Ulauf, where we can meet you. Will it be enough time for you, that we can meet at noon.

The sooner we leave, the better I will feel. By Hale, this was sorcery!
User avatar
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:29 pm
Location: Bern, Switzerland

Postby Vagnar Granier » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:28 pm

I shall do so at once, all I need are the basic supplies and a moment to spread the tale. Indeed, the tale would seem more likely if I were to depart earlier.
They say I am mad...they make a good case.
User avatar
Vagnar Granier
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:37 pm
Location: New Jersey

Postby Ulauf Seld » Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:09 am

Ulauf looking at Vagnar says "We will meet you amongst the treeline south of the west common. We will be there at daybreak I would suggest you get there as soon as possible if you are not there by midday, you will find us gone, we dare not tarry here."
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Vagnar Granier » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:55 pm

I agree and shall move as rapidly as I may.

Before I depart, is there anything the rest of you would find to be of use?
They say I am mad...they make a good case.
User avatar
Vagnar Granier
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:37 pm
Location: New Jersey

Postby Matt » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:40 am

Apparently not, but don't forget the ham. :wink:

Without further ado, Vagnar shall head off to the inn, which action we shall take up Vagnar in your private area.
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA


Return to The Game's Afoot

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron