Halane 1, 730 - Departing Tandir

The Public Area for the PBF

Halane 1, 730 - Departing Tandir

Postby Matt » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:18 pm

During the night, a light rain began to fall. With the rising of the sun, the Seld warband moved of towards the south and waited for Vagnar. He arrived, shortly after sunrise, and pointedly handed a small wrapped package to Laenvan - ham.

The villagers were also beginning to stir at this hour, and move to the plots, fields, and pastures. The Selds took one last look at Caer Tandir, and each man wondered what trouble the fortress held for the future. Time to go?
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Ulauf Seld » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:06 pm

With our usual march order the group will head towards the south initially. Using Erdrick's maps, Ulauf will lead.
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Igon Seld » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:53 pm

I would suggest a quick pace until we gain some distance from yon caer cousin...
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Matt » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:15 am

By what route do you go? Do you try to keep to the woods, or the road? (The woods will give way to fields and small copses much like you saw on the trip from Hoeg.) Do you skirt Quiam or heading towards it? The main road from Tandir does not go to Quiam, but heads through a couple of villages and then the pass to Fjaga.
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Igon Seld » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:34 am

I would say keep to the woods, skirt Quiam and keep east of the road towards Fjaga. Once past Quiam we can stay in the woods and hills until Fjaga... after we reach there we will just have to see....
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Vagnar Granier » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:27 pm

I am new to this land, but t'would seem that avoiding the main roads would be the best plan.
They say I am mad...they make a good case.
User avatar
Vagnar Granier
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:37 pm
Location: New Jersey

Postby Matt » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:05 pm

The day remains overcast with a light rain. The woods provide some cover, but they soon give way to open fields and meadows less than a mile outside of Tandir. You follow the tree line to the west of the road as far as you can, and then are forced out into the open. It took a couple of hours to get this far, but once you left the environs of Tandir you saw no one.

After about a mile or so across the meadows you spy a patrol of some sort consisting of what appears to be mixed Thardan troops and Jarin militia - about ten of each - to the southeast traveling north. They see you at about the same time as you see them at a range of about 200 yards.

The terrain is gently rolling and uneven with a few coniferous trees here and there. The patrol is on the road, and much of ground is wet with patches of mud. There is no nearby cover, and due to the rain, bows are unstrung.

What do you do?

[GM: Gents, if you engage them this will be our first combat. I expect a few teething pains as we work through the best way to adjudicate, so suggestions on that, OOC of course, are encouraged.]
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Vagnar Granier » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:04 am

20 of them and how many of us? Have we the option of retreat?
They say I am mad...they make a good case.
User avatar
Vagnar Granier
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:37 pm
Location: New Jersey

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:06 am

We are at least 1:2 against them. And we can't use our bows. So even if it pleases me not at all I propose we outrun them. It is more important that our message and information reaches the princes than to stand and fight.
User avatar
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:29 pm
Location: Bern, Switzerland

Postby Matt » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:10 am

Vagnar Granier wrote:20 of them and how many of us? Have we the option of retreat?

A quick recap of the warband:

Igon Seld (Priest of Sarajin)
Jorst Seld (Huscarl)
Ulauf Seld (Tracker/Hunter)
Laenvan Hawkeye (Archer)
Erdrick the Red (Cartographer/Spearman)
Sven Gundar (Spearman)
Olaf Gundar (Spearman)
Vagnar of Granier (Physician)

If you try to outrun them, direction is important. To run towards the south or east would allow them to intercept. Towards the north sends you back to Tandir, and the west takes you away from Geldeheim. On the subject of bows, they can be used, but at a higher risk of breaking the bowstring.
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:06 am

"As I told you. I, yes I, can count. We are in sub-number. Why will nobody listen to me..." In his frustration Laenvan quickly snatches a crap from the fine ham Vagnar has brought him back.
With a better humour he addresses Vagnar. "Thanks for having brought back the ham. Would you also like a mouthful?"
User avatar
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:29 pm
Location: Bern, Switzerland

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:08 am

With delight Laenvan relishs the ham. "Hmmm it's soooo delicious..., by Halea a real delight."
User avatar
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:29 pm
Location: Bern, Switzerland

Postby Ulauf Seld » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:35 pm

Ulauf drops to one knee and reaches into his beltpouch and produces a bowstring and begins to string his bow.

"If we are to run I would suggest to the west and try to veer south as much as possible. I doubt we will be able to outrun them but if we can get into a stand of trees we might have a chance."

"With Laenvan, Erdrick and myself with bows and them trying to cross a muddy field we might well be able to drop several of the southrons before they reach us if our bowstrings hold true, there are some of you that have spears that might yet drop more......to fight will be hard to run harder, there is no cover and we do not know where we are running to and I do not fancy running back towards Tandir."

"Cousin, I think a quick prayer to the Grey Slayer now might be a good idea I would like to know that he watches over us and that he will protect us while we are in battle with the invaders."

"Well cousin, do we stand and fight or do we run, it only takes one of us to carry the message home now is the time to show the Gery Slayer that courage and honour still flows through the veins of Clan Seld still. We have been defeated at Fjaga, we have run from Tandir without striking as initial plan was meant to do, let us not run from this fight too!"

Ulauf stands after stringing his bow looking at his cousin as he draws an arrow from his quiver and nocks it to the bow.......
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Igon Seld » Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:52 pm

"I like your plan about the tree line. If we can get there we may loose them, or at least give us an edge in distance. If not we will hold them there while one or two run for it. The princes must have this information."

With that Igon starts heading west by south west at the run looking for a treeline... while muttering a prayer to the Slayer to let them suceed in their mission... and to let him see his little girl once more.
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Matt » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:26 pm

There's no tree line in sight. The warband begins to head west and the patrol pursues. As a group it looks like you could outpace them, although Olaf and Sven are the slowest. While the patrol is not overtaking, neither does the warband outdistance them.

Next steps?
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Jorst Seld » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:05 pm

Jorst keeps a keen eye on the patrol behind them.. and urges the other onwards...
User avatar
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:30 pm
Location: Wellington, NZ (Sydney, AU)

Postby Ulauf Seld » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:19 pm

Ulauf hangs back with Jorst. "In trouble again, I would have no else by my side brother."

Ulauf yells to Erdrick "Check your maps if you can, try to lead us towards the nearest woods."

Ulauf turns to those pursuing and looses an arrow at the leading figure.

Then after checking the hit or not turns and catches up with the rest of the group.
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Matt » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:58 pm

Ulauf looses an arrow which hits one of the pursuers - a Jarin. The arrow strikes home in the man's chest and he goes down.

At the same time, five of the southrons loose arrows and while four of them go astray, one of them hits Olaf in the neck, piercing him though and killing the spearman instantly. As he goes down, blood gurgling from his throat, the warband continues to the west.

Next?
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Ulauf Seld » Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:11 am

After catching up with the group Ulauf turns again and with a quick prayer to the Grey Slayer to make his aim true Ulauf looses a second arrow aimed at one of the southron archers.

Again waiting for the arrow to strike home and then turning and running to catch up with the group.
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:00 am

Admiring Ulaufs courage Laenvan says his prayers to Halea and the moment Ulauf stops for his next shoot, Laenvan runs 5 steps further, drawing a new string from one of his many pouches, stops and with the expierence of his years makes his bow ready in record time. The moment Ulauf catches up with him, he is ready to run along with him. During this run, he draws two arrows which he knocks, ready to draw the bow at the next stop.
With a sly grin he says to Ulauf: "Time to show them some magic of mine."

The next time Ulauf stops to loose his third arrow, Laenvan stops also, aiming in the middle of their pursuers, he rips from each feathring a bit away, so that the arrows will get another spinning than normal.... then he lets fly the two arrows at the same time... with the mighty speed that only a longbow can muster they fly trough the air... which wavers befor their tips like the water befor the keel of a running Ivinian Warboat...

[OOC: bullett time... :lol: ]
User avatar
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:29 pm
Location: Bern, Switzerland

Postby Matt » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:21 am

Ulauf's arrow streaks towards the patrol, but lands short of the line. As Laenvan comes up to shoot, the five disciplined Thardan foot duck behind their shields, and the archers behind them. The Jarin attempt to emulate this, but are slower, and their movements lack precision.

Laenvan's two arrows fly spinning through the air but miss. The five Thardan archers - also with longbows it's now clear - stand and shoot. Three of the arrows miss, and one would have struck Ulauf had he not twisted out of the way at the last second. The fifth arrow strikes Laenvan, grazing his upper right arm. [GM: I believe you're wearing ring, but I see we didn't note this under your equipment - this should be rectified. Effective Impact: 7 - 4 (Ring) = 3, 4 Injury Points (IPs), minor stab.] Meanwhile, Igon, Erdrick, Vagnar, and Sven hurry away. The patrol has stopped.

Do you hold you ground and exchange vollies or do you retreat?

[GM: As a point of order, there are no HM rules of which I'm aware which discuss the shooting of two arrows at once. After a little research, it seems that the primary issue with this technique involves range, and thus in game terms will bump the effective range into the next band. So if the archer is at Long range (as Laenvan is here), then the two arrows will be considered as if shot from Extreme range. Note that this means if one is already at Extreme range - as Ulauf is - then the arrows will simply fall short. Of course, it is possible they may still hit something, but not the intended target.]
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:58 pm

"Five Longbow Archers! Run, Ulauf, run..." With this Laenvan runs as fast as he is possible and praying to Halea that no arrow will hit him in the back...
User avatar
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:29 pm
Location: Bern, Switzerland

Postby Igon Seld » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:00 pm

Igon drops back to Ulauf and tries to invoke the prayer "Jarak's Lope" on his cousin. When he's finished he says to Ulauf... "Race ahead some distance cousin, and see what you can see... if there's cover to be found you can provide us some cover with your bow as we catch up..."
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Ulauf Seld » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:04 pm

"Very well cousin, as you wish, I did not like the idea of exchanging vollies with them anyway." Ulauf says with a smile.

With that Ulauf heads out ahead of the group looking for a stand of trees that would serve as a place of cover. Keeping an eye over his shoulder to make sure he does not get to far ahead of the group and that he can see if the patrol has continued to pursue or hold it's ground.
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Matt » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:30 pm

Ulauf comes up to Igon, and the priest places his hand on his forehead. Igon chants lightly, and Ulauf, smiling sprints off, faster than even his normal rapid pace.

The warband follows, somewhat slower, and the patrol pursues as far as Olaf's body, and there they stop. One of the Thardans stands apart, looking after the warband as it retreats while the Jarin lift Olaf. The patrol moves off to the south, carrying Olaf.

Meanwhile, Ulauf has reached a small copse of trees, out of longbow range, and the warband joins him soon after.

Next?
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Next

Return to The Game's Afoot

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron