Squire

Postby Jorst Seld » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:17 am

What are you waiting for?

Jorst heads on up....
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:43 am

Laenvan waits that the warband forms his marching order and will take the rear...
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:36 am

The warband follows as Minna ascends the trail and makes for the ledge nearly one hundred feet above. The narrow rocky trail means climbing in spots, but in most it’s just a steep incline. Each man carefully picks his way, using the rockface for handholds and grateful when the trail moves inward a bit and there are large boulders between the warband and the slope below. Minna moves with the assurance of many trips up and down the trail.

Soon they reach the ledge, and the warband marvels at the natural defenses of the place. From below, it can scarcely be seen, but a few men in its rocky ramparts could hold off many times their number. Above the mountain rises in a sheer cliff, impossible to climb. Here and there are bits of scrub and other vegetation, eking out a precarious existence in the thin layer of soil. The ledge itself is deep, and folds into an open fissure in the rock - and the darkness of a cave. In the center of the ledge is a firepit. Minna points to the cave and says, “The Holy Hermit dwells within.”

Minna enters the cave, the warband following, and traces her way a few yards down the darkened passage. Presently, a glow appears and soon the group can see a fire. The cavern is a bit smoky, although not dangerously so - whatever natural ventilation the caves possesses is clearly inadequate. The cavern is sparsely furnished with only a palette for a bed, shelves carved into the rock and stuffed with pottery and bundles, and a small cord of wood stacked to one side. Another passage leads further into the mountain.

Before the fire sits the oldest man anyone has ever seen. A wizened, wrinkled, ancient with wisps of white hair still seated here and there on his bald pate, and a beard which is long but spare. His flesh is papery thin, and clings to his bones as if there were nothing between them. Beside him on the ground is a gnarled staff and a small bag, and around his neck on a leather thong is a single claw, black with age. He looks up, his brown eyes clear and bright, and watches serenely as the warband enters the cavern. He does not speak.
Matt
The GM

Postby Igon Seld » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:40 am

Igon steps into the fire light and gives a short nod of his head in respect to this man's obvious age.

"Ancient One, I am Igon Seld and these are my clansmen. We come in peace with no ill intent. We seek news and insight to the Thardic forces that sit upon this land. Can you tell us of news or sighting of them? Have you noticed any forces passing below in the pass?"

Igon kneels down one one knee and waits, staring at the old man. He tries to remember if the claw worn around the oldster's neck has any special meanings to the Jarin ...
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:26 pm

The hermit regards Igon for a moment, and takes in each of the warband in turn. Returning his gaze to Igon, he slowly shakes his head. “More warlords,” he mutters. “I take no note of the those who traverse the pass - they are not of importance to me. From time to time, they take notice of me. Your name is as unknown to me as the other’s was, and warring fools of one side or another do not concern the Brooder. I see much bloodshed in this activity, and little gain.”
Matt
The GM

Postby Igon Seld » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:20 pm

"I understand, but what of this other warlord? Was he Orbaalese or Thardic? Can you give me his name?"
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:38 pm

"Thardic? Orbaalese? These names mean little to me. He called himself a King, girt for war, and asked my pardon for disturbing my solitude." He gestures towards the wood. "His warriors stacked that firewood there and left food as well. He asked nothing else of me." He pauses for a moment. "Yes, he called himself King - King Arren."
Matt
The GM

Postby Igon Seld » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:27 pm

"One more question then we will leave you to your solitude... how many days ago did this King Arren come to you?"
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:46 pm

"I cannot be sure - the days, they blend. But it must be at least twenty."
Matt
The GM

Postby Matt » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:54 pm

So ... next?
Matt
The GM

Postby Igon Seld » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:23 pm

Igon nods to the old man and steps back a few paces and turns to his friends.

"Well? What do you think? It seems Arren paid a visit here before or just after the battle. What do you think a King such as he would want with a hermit?"
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:31 am

Helplessly and a bit lost Laenvan looks at his comrades. "Sorry, fellows, here I'm of no help." Then he turns away to keep an attentive eye on their sourroundings.
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:05 am

Ulauf looks at his cousin and with a shrug of his shoulders says "In the dealings of this madman and the gods I have little to add that may be of service to you."
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Igon Seld » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:05 am

"If there is nothing else, we should move on." Igon looks at group one at a time, seeing if they wish to ask anything before moving on. If nothing is asked, Igon will toss a few pennies to the girl and instruct her to buy some supplies for her self and the old man. He then will turn to leave bidding the hermit good day.
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:08 am

The warband descends from the cave and resumes its trek south. As they make there way along the pass, the road conditions improve, the muddy track drying out as the day goes on. By nightfall, the group has emerged on the far end of the Fjaga Pass and and into the foothills of the mountain. Moving off the road the warband makes camp near a small river.

Next steps?
Matt
The GM

Postby Igon Seld » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:47 am

Usual camp activities. Same watch I would guess.
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:29 am

Very good. Dinner is primarily field rations today - no time to hunt.

It might be worthwhile to discuss your next move. To look in on Fjaga keep as planned earlier or not. I might also note that Seldholm is on the road to Geldeheim once you traverse the Hjaen pass ...
Matt
The GM

Postby Jorst Seld » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:36 pm

We should visit Fjaga keep and scout out the situation...
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Igon Seld » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:56 pm

I agree... then a quick stop at Seldholm. Should check on the wife and daughter before heading to Geldeheim.
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:27 pm

"I follow you whereever you go, Lord Igon." Says Laenvan before he turns to Ulauf. "So, young Ulauf, lets use the last light of today for some practice with the longbow..."

Whenever possible Laenvan trains Ulauf at every greater stop they are making.
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:04 pm

Ulauf joins Laenvan in the practice.....
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Vagnar Granier » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:52 pm

As he watches the practice, it occurs to Vagnar that he should acquire a missle weapon. If not a light bow, even a sling might help fill the pot and serve as a diversion.
They say I am mad...they make a good case.
Vagnar Granier
Squire
Squire

Postby Ulauf Seld » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:49 pm

Ulauf hearing Vagnar comment on his lack of missile weapons, hands him his shortbow "Take care of this it means a great deal to me." He hands him a quiver containing 35 arrows. "I will get these back off you in Seldholm, and see that you can get one for yourself."
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Matt » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:22 pm

As Vagnar attempts to use the shortbow by the light of the fire, it becomes clear that any further practice must wait for daylight.

After the meal, the group beds down for the night, setting watches consistent with prior practice. The night passes quietly, and uneventfully, the burbling of the river providing a soothing presence.

Come morning, the warband breaks its fast, and prepares for the day ahead. It will only take a few hours to reach Fjaga, and a plan is required for approaching it, and the villages which stand between the warband and the keep.
Matt
The GM

PreviousNext

Return to The Game's Afoot