Halane 3, 730 - Fjaga Keep

The Public Area for the PBF

Halane 3, 730 - Fjaga Keep

Postby Matt » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:57 am

Erdrick chimes in that you're now perhaps two leagues from Fjaga, and there is only one Ivinian village and one Jarin village along the road. Since it will only take about two hours to travel to Fjaga itself, such a plan might result in the main group reaching the keep well ahead of the lagging scouts. He adds the Jarin village is first along the road.
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:01 am

"It might be a better idea then looking at these maps if we stay together and Vagnar and I might try to get a little closer to each village while you remain under cover and when we have finished scouting out each village we will join up with you and then we can continue home."

Ulauf says finishing off the rest of his morning meal....
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Igon Seld » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:38 am

That would work... while you take a peek, the rest of us will watch your backs.
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:13 am

"Sounds to be a good plan" Laenvan says whilest putting his tableware away, after having cleaned it with some leaves and grass. Stretching his frame he picks up quiver and longbow. "But before, there is a little training at hand. 10 arrows, Ulauf." With a grin he looks out for a practise target...
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:32 am

"As you say master bowman." Ulauf says with a smile while preparing his bow.
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Jorst Seld » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:44 pm

Jorst looked at Igon...

"Well it seems my brother has everything worked out.... the rest of just stand about while he scouts around? Hmm..."

"I will stand watch while these two shoot targets"

He smiles at his brother.
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Ulauf Seld » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:42 pm

"Ah brother, knowing that you are watching my back is reassuring to me and to Vagnar too I suspect". Ulauf says smiling at his brother.
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Matt » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:55 pm

Eventually, the warband breaks camp and heads out along the road to Fjaga. Passing out of the foothills into the flatlands, the group cautiously makes its way along the road, prepared for trouble. After about an hour, the warband reaches the outer edge of a cleared field, and a small village can be seen in the distance. No people or animals are visible.

Actions?
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:12 pm

Ulauf turns to his companions "Better find some cover nearby while Vagnar and I go for a look."

While his companions find suitable cover for themselves (if any is available) Ulauf prepares his longbow and motions Vagnar to do the same. When the bows have been strung, Ulauf nocks an arrow and with a wave of his head towards Vagnar begins to move closer to the village.

We will proceed until we sight someone or get within 100 yards which ever comes first.

Attempting to find cover as we move forward. Always with a retreat plan back to the main group in his mind.
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Igon Seld » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:22 pm

Igon finds a good spot to hide the remaining and watch over the scouts...
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:38 pm

The warband takes position in a small copse of trees, and Ulauf and Vagnar move forward. Encountering no one, they continue forward. No life is seen, and as they approach the village a large barrow, newly covered, can be seen to one side of the cottages. It also becomes clear that many of the cottages have been burned. Upon the barrow sit three crows.
Matt
The GM

Postby Igon Seld » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:58 am

I guess we now know what happened here... we best be moving on.
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:20 am

As the group breaks from cover and continues on, Ulauf will move into the village to see who or what has caused this village to be attacked.

We have seen no other village suffer this fate as yet on our journey.
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:35 am

Having radied his longbow before taking cover, Laenvan positions himself so as to protect Lord Igon the best he can while still keeping a watchfull eye on the progress Ulauf makes while he approaches the burned down village.
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:05 am

Ulauf moves through the center of the small village while the remainder of the warband skirts the outer edge. Despite evidence of a struggle, it's impossible to determine what precisely happened or who was involved. By the nature of the cottages, the village appears Jarin, and there are no longhouses or other evidence of Ivinian habitation.

The warband continues along the road, and before long, another, much smaller village is sighted. This one has, or had, five longhouses and some assorted outer buildings. However, like the other village, there are no people or animals, and the longhouses have all been burned. At least, there are no living people - as the group draws nearer, they see corpses hanging from the trees nearby. Vagnar can tell from their state of decomposition that they've been dead for at least several weeks, and crows and other carrion eaters are feasting even now. With dismay, the warband realizes that all the corpses - more than twenty can be seen - are Ivinian based on dress and features. There are women and children amongst the hanged ...
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:48 pm

"We cannot leave them to hang like that...."

Ulauf will move towards the hanging bodies and start to cut them down, after conducting a quick search of the area to make sure it is safe.

"I think we should bury these people, I know I would not like to be left hanging so that these carrion can pick my bones raw."
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Igon Seld » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:11 pm

Igon, looking grim turns to his cousin

"Digging graves will take time my friend. Let us build a pyre for them and I will ask for Sarajin's blessings as we send them home..."
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:53 pm

"As you wish, cousin. It would serve our purpose better. I could not just let them hang and with you to provide them guidance in the afterlife they will be well served."
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Vagnar Granier » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:53 pm

"Truly, the grimmest sight I have seen since Arren II stormed Golotha a few years back. But we should search carefully, as there might be some clue as to the specific villains, and perhaps someone even managed to conceal themself."
They say I am mad...they make a good case.
Vagnar Granier
Squire
Squire

Postby Igon Seld » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:00 pm

You may be right Vagnar... lets look around . Mayhapes we may find out who did this butchery... but I think the Thardic scum had a hand in it.
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:25 am

The warband cuts down all of the victims - twenty-three in all, and of that there were eight men, ten women, and five children. Stacking them for a pyre, Igon speaks words of prayer over them, and they are set alight.

Clues as to who did this are maddenly absent.

Meanwhile, the warband o'erlooks the pyre, and each man speaks within his own heart. After an appropriate time has passed, the warband resumes its travels.

It is not a long journey to reach Fjaga itself. Much to the group's dismay, as they approach the outskirts of Fjaga, they are greeted with the sight of more Ivinians adorning the trees to the southwest of the town. In this case, there are other signs of life, but the gibbets present a grim greeting - more Ivinians dead, hanged and rotting.

Map here.

Next steps?
Matt
The GM

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:22 am

Since the first village with the hanged children Laenvans expression has become dark and moody. "By the Gods, it seems that the Thardic have decleared a war without mercy on the Ivinians. I have seen my share of death, even of innocent ones, but something like this... no... something like this I have never seen before. We have to stop them at all cost..."
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Igon Seld » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:39 am

Igon with his eyes black with hatred turns to Laenvan.... "They will reap what they sow my friend. We will send them to the slayer to adorn the walls of his fortress!"
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:54 am

How do you approach the town? Ulauf's suggestions in the moot may not work as the high ground is either the keep or on the far side of the town. You're approaching on the road from the south, just off map. The lone house on the left hand side of the Dergen Road is in view as is the southern portion of the village and the towers of the keep. The fields are not visible from this vantage. However, there are definitely signs of people and animals up ahead.

The door to the house stands open, and no one appears to be about.
Matt
The GM

Postby Igon Seld » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:08 pm

If we are coming from the south, we could use the treeline to the west (left side of map) of the road....
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Next

Return to The Game's Afoot