Halane 3, 730 - To Turenborg

The Public Area for the PBF

Halane 3, 730 - To Turenborg

Postby Matt » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:02 pm

As the warband withdraws, the horn blows again - three shorts, a pause, and three more shorts. There is no pursuit.

Heading south, the group passess through two more depopulated Jarin villages. In each case, there are no signs of life, and most of the buildings have been burned. Towards late afternoon, the group reaches the larger village of Turenborg.

[GM: Those of you with Harn Manor should have this village. Feel free to check the map.]

The warband approaches from the north, and as they approach the small stream, they note there appear to be only a handful of Jarin and none in the fields. There are two Ivinian spearmen on guard on the other side of the ford.
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Igon Seld » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:52 pm

Igon leaves his weapon sheathed and moves towards the ford. He stops on the parties side of the ford and hails them.

"Hail and well met warriors of Turen."
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Matt » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:37 pm

"Stand!" cries one of the guards. "Who are you and what is your purpose here?"
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Igon Seld » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:06 pm

Igon stands tall and in his "command" voice says. "I am Igon Seld, son of Valkahar Eldred Seld, and these are my friends and kinsmen. We are travelling home. Who are you and where is your lord?"
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Matt » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:20 pm

The spearman deflates ever so slightly, but holds his ground. "If you are a lord of the Seld," he says, "why comst you from the north and not from the south where Seldholm lies?"
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Igon Seld » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:36 pm

Still with his no nonsense tone... "We have been on an errand for your betters warrior. Someone had to find out what the bastards were up to. What of you and your Clan? Do you realize that the jarin have taken Fjaga for themselves? Come, take us to your lord, he will know me. and then after a quick meal we must continue our journey home."

With that Igon marches across the ford...
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Matt » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:42 pm

The spearman looks at Igon, obviously unimpressed. "Yes, Lord Seld," he says, "we know what happened at Fjaga. I will let my lord discuss it with you. Follow us."

With that, the spearmen lead the group down the road towards the thran. With concern, the warband notes the lack of peasants in the fields and plots. As they approach the thran, another spearman guards the entrance, and he exchanges words with the ones who've escorted the group. Entering the palisade, the warband sees six longhouses arranged in a circle, one with the carved pole of a valhakar. The guard from the ford bids them to wait, while he enters that longhouse. Before long, two men emerge with him, armed but but not armored. Both men strongly resemble each other, and they come and stand before the band.

"I am Jornal Turen," says one. "I am the Valhakar of Turenborg. You claim to be Selds, kin of my father's third wife. Speak, and I shall hear."
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Igon Seld » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:44 pm

Igon nods his head in respect to the Valhakar.. "Lord Turen, pardon our intrusion. I am Igon Seld, son of Valkahar Eldred Seld." Turning towards the band , he gestures... "and these are my kinsmen and loyal retainers of Clan Seld... Jorst & his brother Ulauf Seld, Laenvan Hawkeye, Haefnir Ralder, Erdrick the Red, Vagnar Granier & Sven Gundar... there was an 8th but Olaf Gundar fell to archers when we encountered a Thardic patrol."

Turning back to the Valhakar... "We were sent to Tandir by the Princes and council to find out the disposition of our enemies and to find out what happened to the King. We journeyed there by war boat and now are returning to Geldeheim."
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Matt » Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:13 am

Jornal nods. "I doubt you found things to your liking, kinsman. This is my brother Sweyn - we are all the sons left to my father, dead now with our brother not even a month. Come, enter my hall and refresh yourselves, and then we'll talk."

Jornal's hall is a large longhouse, comfortably appointed with good rugs and wall hangings. There is an elaborately carved chair at the head of the central table, and Jornal hesitates before he sits in it. His brother takes a seat near him and gestures for the warband to seat themselves. Women bring roasted meat, bread, and mead, and then withdraw to their tasks about the longhouse. One older woman nods to Igon - this is Eilyn Turen, though born a Seld.

"Tell me of your journey, Igon," says Jornal. "Do the Jarin still hold Fjaga? And what of the Southron invaders?"

[GM: Recall Haefnir took the wounded man back to his village, so he's not present.]
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Igon Seld » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:01 pm

"Yes Lord Turen, the Jarin seem to be organizing themselves in basic tactics. What their true numbers are I can not tell, but it seemed to me at least 2 companies. All the villages have been deserted. I would guess that they have moved to Fjaga."

"As for the Southrons... they are firmly in control of Tandir and the Jarin seem to be helping them. Their King has left for Tharda taking a large force and our King with them. They seem to be settling in and consolidating their position. What their next action might be I cannot guess, but I don't think they would have enough troops to mount a major attack with what Arren left them. But they do have a competent leader in command in Cedric Arlen, Earl of Westmarch."

"My guess is that they are trying to make alliances with the damn Jarin. Why spill the blood of your own people when you can get others to do it for you?
I do think we can retake Fjaga if we strike soon. But we must gather our forces and make haste before the Jarin figure out what to do."
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Matt » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:47 pm

"I have spoken with some of the women who escaped from Fjaga, and they tell me that the Jarin seized the abandoned castle right after the battle. Lord Staeld and all his men perished against the Southrons, along with my father and brother. The Jarin are mostly from a rebel group that's eluded us for years in the mountains. Who knows how they've augmented that force? We are all but stripped bare here, our own Jarin peasants having fled north. We are left with only our thralls."

"I can still muster ten or so stout warriors, and should it be the will of Geldeheim that Fjaga be retaken, I offer them to that end. You say the Southrons only left a token force at Tandir? How many are there?"
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Igon Seld » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:03 pm

"I would not say a "token" force... but I believe the bulk of his legion set sail with him." Igon turns to his friends... "what do you say to this... I think he has a least a couple of companies, maybe more. " Turning back to Turen..." I would not think that the Thardans would be that foolish to leave such an important caer lightly gaurded... I would expect the keep to be full., especially if the jarin are supplying troops."
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Matt » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:16 pm

Lord Turen nods knowingly. "Yes, all I have heard leads me to believe the Southrons returned from the battle straight to Tandir - they did not visit Fjaga keep before or afterwards. What force they have would be concentrated on the Akag peninsula."

"But surely they would no more rely on Jarin troops for real war than we would?"
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Ulauf Seld » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:58 pm

"The truth be told, I can not say for certain the number of southrons in garrison at Tandir. My efforts to gain this information were defeated at every turn."

Ulauf turns to Vagnar and says "This man, has been inside the Caer and would have more information than I. I saw but 10-15 men during our 'visit', but Vagnar was their physician at least for a short time."

"I am sure that your 10 warriors are stout of heart and strong of will and will serve your clan proudly, as do you."
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Igon Seld » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:01 am

I believe they would use the Jarin hatred of us to serve them. What matters how many die? If enough of them are throw against our lines, even as a distraction, they would be of use to the Thardans. Cheap, expendable fighters that hate us. I think the southrons wuld throw them at us and not be concern at all on ow many we kill."
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:03 am

Silently Laenvan observes the conversation and takes in as much as possible.
User avatar
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:29 pm
Location: Bern, Switzerland

Postby Matt » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:13 pm

"Surely the Southrons do not expect to defeat us with Jarin. There were none at the Battle of Fjaga anyway."

"Still, I cannot imagine that there are so few holding Tandir. How could they hope to keep it? Tell me, Vagnar the Physician, if you were inside this castle, how many men did you see?"

Lord Turen signals for one of the women to refill the cups and horns of mead and gives her a playful slap on the buttocks as she goes by.
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Vagnar Granier » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:02 pm

Vagnar drinks again from his horn of mead and nods appreciatively.

"Lord Turen, my estimate would be 50 men in Caer Tandir, not taking into account any Jarin militia. I am advised by my companions that any such militia would be relatively new and untrained. However, the 50 Thardics would well equipped with mail and shield, sword and spear and 10 also wield longbows. More importantly, an additional 3 score left by ship before I met Ulauf and may return at some point, so I fear a choice must be made with speed."
They say I am mad...they make a good case.
User avatar
Vagnar Granier
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:37 pm
Location: New Jersey

Postby Ulauf Seld » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:17 pm

"Lord Turen" Ulauf says "There may be a more important point as to why Caer Tandir has no great garrison." Ulauf looks at the ground then looking back up again continues "I feel my cousin may chastise me for saying so, but I think the Earl of Westmarch may have witchcraft to aid him."

Holding up his hand in deference to his cousin and then making a sign of protection he continues "The Earl knew we were scouting out the Caer and while he may have seen us, I do not think that this was so and while we were there he approached our camp at night fall without an escort. It was if he could see our every move before it was made."

"He dared us to fire arrows at him, but I fear that the amulet that hung around his neck protected him from such injuries."

"I see an attack on Fjaga as possible an assault on Tandir impossible, many of our Ivinian brothers have spilled their blood trying to retake the Caer. We met one such warrior just out from Tandir, a companion of ours Haefnir Raelder returned him to his village although I think he now sits at the table with the Grey Slayer but I hope that this is not so."

Draining what is left in his horn, Ulauf says "Lord Turen, I thank you for the hospitality of your table."
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Matt » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:38 pm

"Witchery? Yes, it is said some of the Southrons know such arts. I do not fear them, but I do respect such. Nor do I know if such has anything to do with a garrison as I don't believe that any sorceror is proof against stout warriors."

"But an amulet that protects one from arrows would be a valuable talisman indeed. Why do you think he possessed such?"
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Igon Seld » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:53 pm

Igon gestures to Laenvan... "During the battle of Fjaga... Laenvan here had a clear shot of the Thardic King, no more than a hundred yards by his account and in clear view. Arren managed to block the arrow but with a wave of his hand. Is that not so Laenvan?"
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Ulauf Seld » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:22 am

Matt wrote:"Witchery? Yes, it is said some of the Southrons know such arts. I do not fear them, but I do respect such. Nor do I know if such has anything to do with a garrison as I don't believe that any sorceror is proof against stout warriors."


"I agree with you Lord Turen. But it makes our job that much more difficult if we can not make preperations against them, nor urprise them or march against them without their knowledge. But forgive me for saying there are many of our kinsman, stout warriors and brave at heart that fell at the battle at Fjaga that might not agree."
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:58 am

Laenvan goes pale at the mention of his shot at the Thardic King. He grasps his drinkhorn with such force that it grits. Gulping down hard he stands up and finaly finds some words.

"Ay, my Lord. By my word and as I stand here before you... I had a clear shot and I'am expierenced enough with the longbow that under this circomstances it was impossible to miss my target. Alas..."

He lets trail his last word, looks at the floor and sits down again. Obviously still shaken.
User avatar
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:29 pm
Location: Bern, Switzerland

Postby Matt » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:47 am

"Sorcery is a thing to be wary of, to be sure, but seems it to me confined to only a handful of them. I am more concerned with the soldiers who cut down my father, brother, and Lord Staeld. It seems we do not really know how many of them are at Tandir or elsewhere."

"For now, I offer you the hospitality of my hall to rest and fortify for the journey ahead. You will no doubt make for Geldeheim in the morning?"
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Igon Seld » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:03 pm

"Aye My Lord, that is the plan. I hope though you will soon see us again as we head back to fjaga with a host of warriors with us."
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Next

Return to The Game's Afoot

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron