Halane 4, 730 - Seldholm

The Public Area for the PBF

Halane 4, 730 - Seldholm

Postby Matt » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:13 am

In the morning, the warband is treated to a hearty breakfast, prepared and served by the women of clan Turen. There is porridge and rashers of bacon, fresh goat's milk and piping hot seed cakes, boiled eggs and thick brown bread. No one leaves the table hungry. Afterwards, the group gathers their things, and with thanks for Lord Turen's hospitality set off to the south.

Though still on guard, the warband feels safer after the visit to Turenborg, as if they had passed the boundary of the lands the Ivinians still controlled without challenge. This sense abated somewhat as they reached the ill-fated battlefield which they called Fjaga. "It's not that close," someone remarked sardonically. They could see the blackened ground where the pyres had been built. The field was still littered with the detritus of battle - broken weapons, arrows, and other equipment. There was a smell about the place, and they would have known death hung over the field even if they had not been here to witness firsthand. With one last look at the spur of high ground to the west whence the Thardic knights had charged, the warband entered the Hjaen pass to the south.

Little had changed in this area since their retreats the month before, and they made rapid progress through the flat area in the shadow of the mountains to the west. By Early afternoon, the warband had reached Seldholm.
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Igon Seld » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:25 pm

Knowing that time here will be short, Igon heads to his father's hall and reports. After giving his father news of all that has transpired, he will then pass on the request of his cousin Ulauf concerning Gutta Gundren.

After that Igon tries to see his wife and daughter before leaving for Geldeheim...
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:43 pm

While everyone seems to have families to greet and to attend to Laenvan goes to his place in the great hall and tends to his equipment. When the opportunity arises he asks the Valhakar for a favour - to order some ash wood so that he will be able to craft two longbows for Ulauf, his apprentice sort of. Laenvan doesn't dare to speak his innermost desire, to train a whole company of longbow archers... but at the moment there is not the time for such high plans.

Perhaps he will also find the two nice girls which whom he has already spent good times...

... and there is still a letter to be written...
User avatar
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:29 pm
Location: Bern, Switzerland

Postby Ulauf Seld » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:13 pm

As the warband return home Ulauf appraoches Vagnar and says "My friend I must ask the return of the shortbow, the bow is my personal hunting bow and it and I share a common spirit but I will ensure that you are equipped with another before our departure."

Uluaf on returning to Seldholm will pay his respects to his father and mother in the family longhouse.

He will then visit with the Valhakar.

He will they pay a visit to Gutta and her family.

Then before returning home Ulauf will obtain a good quality shortbow for Vagnar and then Ulauf will meet with Igon and see how he has gone with his request.

Ulauf will then return to his longhouse and take what ever time is left relaxing by the hearth. Keeping an ear out for the call to leave.
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Matt » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:21 am

Igon

Igon reports to the Valhakar, who receives the news with much disappointment. Eldred tells Igon that he himself attempted to dissuade Gutta Gundren from laying down her arms, but that she would not hear of it. She has asked him to find her a suitable husband. Shaking his head ruefully, Eldred says he has not acted on her request in hopes she will change her mind, but he does not think it will be so.

Afterwards, Igon happily reunites with his wife and daughter.

Laenvan

The valhakar has no idea from where to 'import' such staves, and suggests that Laenvan cut some this winter. As such staves would need to season for at least a year, this might not be the quickest way.

In his eagerness, Laenvan, thinking with the second sword, forgets the two working girls were from Geldeheim, and just might have to content himself with a lone bedmate. Let's just hope her husband doesn't find out ...

Ulauf

Another shortbow is easily procured along with a suitable number of arrows.

Gutta is a different person - quiet, meek, and unmovable. She feels she has dishonored herself, her clan, and her King, and must now take a husband. Ulauf entreats her until she storms off in frustrated fury. Ulauf retires to the warmth of the hearth and his thoughts.

Others? Do you stay the night or leave soon? Geldeheim could not be reached before dark, but is close enough that the journey is possible this day.
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Igon Seld » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:19 pm

Igon will meet with everyone after seeing his family and sugest that they leave at first light.

When Igon catches up with Ulauf... "Cousin. I have spoken with my father and it seems he is of the same mind as you when it comes to Gutta, but she still insists that she has failed and must take a husband. If you wish I will speak to her... but she is of strong will, and may not listen."
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Ulauf Seld » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:51 pm

"Cousin, I would appreciate it if you could talk with her. If and only if she is unwilling to become a shieldmaiden again I think that she might make a good wife, do you not agree?"
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Matt » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:26 pm

Consanguinity is actually not an issue here - she would make a suitable wife for any of the Selds.
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Vagnar Granier » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:36 pm

Vagnar looks around the home of his new-found friends. Does he see anything/anyone of interest?
They say I am mad...they make a good case.
User avatar
Vagnar Granier
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:37 pm
Location: New Jersey

Postby Ulauf Seld » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:35 am

Ulauf sensing that Gutta will not be swayed in her decision approaches the Valhakar and asks his permission to seek Gutta as a bride. Should the Valhakar agree Ulauf will then approach Gutta's father and ask his permission.

Should they both agree Ulauf will then ask Gutta if she will marry him.....
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Matt » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:55 am

Vagnar Granier wrote:Vagnar looks around the home of his new-found friends. Does he see anything/anyone of interest?

Seldholm, unlike Turenborg, still has Jarin serfs working the fields and crofts, and war does not seem to have touched the village at all. Amongst the Ivinians, the women seem to outnumber the men, but that may merely be the presence of the Valhakar's three wives and numerous daughters.
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Matt » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:59 am

Ulauf Seld wrote:Ulauf sensing that Gutta will not be swayed in her decision approaches the Valhakar and asks his permission to seek Gutta as a bride.

"Nephew," replies Eldred. "If she is not to change her mind she will make a fine first wife for you - men who marry shieldmaidens are a fortunate few. However, before I give my permission, let some more time pass. When you next return to Seldholm, if she has not changed her mind, you shall have my permission to ask her."

Next steps for the group?
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Igon Seld » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:23 pm

Getting ours butts to Geldeheim and reporting to the Princes. I'm sure most (including myself) would want to dally for a few days, but time is against us. I would travel at first light.
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Matt » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:36 pm

So let it be written, so let it be done. :wink:

In the morning I shall move on to Geldeheim. I'll leave this thread unlocked until then should anyone wish to add last actions in Seldholm. The evening awaits savage vikings ...
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:48 am

... and horny Haleans :lol:
User avatar
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:29 pm
Location: Bern, Switzerland

Postby Ulauf Seld » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:39 am

Matt wrote:Nephew," replies Eldred. "If she is not to change her mind she will make a fine first wife for you - men who marry shieldmaidens are a fortunate few. However, before I give my permission, let some more time pass. When you next return to Seldholm, if she has not changed her mind, you shall have my permission to ask her."


Ulauf dips his head "As you wish, Valhakar."

Ulauf continues "Valhakar, I am sure that your son has told you of the situation at Caer Fjaga. Our warband will be travelling to the inform our Princes of our travels. So that I can be of assistance should the Princes decide to retake Fjaga off those Jarin filth, how many warriors can our clan put to the field? I am sure that clan Seld will not shirk their duties should the Princes decide that Fjaga needs to be retaken."

Ulauf will return to his family longhouse and as per Igon's instructions prepares his gear to leave as soon as Igon calls. Spending his last few moments with his family.

While at home he will tell his father of the events over the last several days.
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Matt » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:19 am

Ulauf Seld wrote:how many warriors can our clan put to the field? I am sure that clan Seld will not shirk their duties should the Princes decide that Fjaga needs to be retaken."

Eldred looks with some puzzlement and replies, "You, Ulauf and the warband Igon leads are all we have. It is left to old men like me and your father to defend Seldholm itself."
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA


Return to The Game's Afoot

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron