Halane 7, 730 - Bjan Drogo Visits the Clanhouse

The Public Area for the PBF

Halane 7, 730 - Bjan Drogo Visits the Clanhouse

Postby Matt » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:39 pm

After a couple of days, in the early in the evening of the 7th, Bjan Drogo arrives at the clanhouse. He brings with him a small cask of mead, and suggests drinking it over conversation.

Once the cask has been tapped, and all present sampled its excellent quality in several toasts to the Gray Slayer, King Alegar, and the defeat of the Southrons, Bjan draws a rolled parchment from his tunic and places it on the table.

"That, Selds," he begins, "is your commission - should you accept it. Your father-in-law, Igon Seld, put an idea to the princes that an embassy be made to the King of Kaldor. Prince Meraag thought it worth the attempt, though Prince Raabaas is reluctant to ask help of any Southrons. However, he sees no harm in the looking. So, there is your commission from Prince Meraag to King Haldan, seeking troops, mercenaries, whatever you think will benefit Orbaal - even if just a diversionary attack on Thardan lands." Bjan takes a small, leather bag from his belt, and empties the contents on the table. Twelvescore silver pennies gleam, and amidst them lies one large blood-red cabuchon. Bjan picks it up between thumb and forefinger. "A garnet of around 4 carats - it can be sold or used as collateral to raise funds for mercenaries, "gifts," and the like. It should fetch at least £25 if sold, worth perhaps more as collateral. The House of Taareskeld does not keep anyone in Kaldor regularly, but there is a temple to Sarajin in the city of Tashal. The high priest is of the clan Horveal, and he will aid and shelter you. The King of Kaldor usually spends his winters in Tashal. What say you? Do you accept the commission?"
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:58 pm

Ulauf drains the contents of his drinking horn and after placing the horn on the table looks around the group and sees that they are thinking on the idea.

Wiping his mouth on his sleeve Ulauf stands up and says "I will be honoured to accept this task."

Ulauf sits back down with a smile on his face remembering how he had thought about this idea already......

Ulauf then waves to one of the maids to refill his drinking horn.
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Igon Seld » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:54 pm

"As will I" says Igon
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:18 pm

"I had no doubt of the valor of the Selds," says Bjan. "Yet you must have questions. Ask, and I shall answer to the best of my ability."
Matt
The GM

Postby Jorst Seld » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:49 am

Jorst ponders for some time, then asks:

"Kings-man Bjan, what token of our King might we bear with us to bring to the King of Kaldor, to show the truth of our mission?:
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Ulauf Seld » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:01 am

Ulauf watching the maid pour his mead looks to Bjan and says "What of the roads south have any of our scouts been able to determine if the roads are held by Jarin rebels or do we still control them."

"I have heard rumours in some of the taverns that Ivinians are not welcome by the man Noron, this might make our travels through there perilous and what if the other roads south are not friendly to us the way might be more dangerous still."

"Do not confuse my questions as doubt Bjan for as the Grey Slayer provides me with breath I will see the bearer of the Princes message through to Tashal!"

Ulauf picks up his drinking horn and draws a deep mouthful.
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Matt » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:16 am

Jorst Seld wrote:"Kings-man Bjan, what token of our King might we bear with us to bring to the King of Kaldor, to show the truth of our mission?:

"The Southrons like their bits of paper - so that commission is written in their language and bears the signature and seal of Prince Meraag. That has been sufficient for embassies in the past."
Last edited by Matt on Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
The GM

Postby Matt » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:22 am

Ulauf Seld wrote:"What of the roads south have any of our scouts been able to determine if the roads are held by Jarin rebels or do we still control them."

The Fur Road remains open as far as we know. We hold Leriel, although we know not of Pethwys. The Fur Road will not take you by the lands of Noron, but straight to Olokand. Still, vigilance on the trail is always wise."
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:59 am

"Speaking of this journey it will be into lands that I am unfamiliar with, might we be provisioned with maps and perhaps someone who has travelled the road frequently might be able to give us good advice once we leave."
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:41 pm

Having had his share of mead Laenvan stands up to put his word to the discussion. "Halea's praise, my lord and brothers-in-arms, finally I will be able to help." He staggers lightly. "Having travelled the fur road for some years I am quite familiar with it and your concern, dear Ulauf..." he twinkles impishly in his direction. "... when we travel as a mercenary band and even hire on as a caravan guard then we should have no problem to go to Tashal." Exaggeretadly he swivels to face Igon Seld. "If you allow, my lord, I will write on the spot a letter to my connection in Tashal..." He holds up both hand in a gesture to appease any criticism and nearly spills the rest of mead in his drinkhorn. "... don't worry, dear lord, I will write not a word of our mission but only announce my arrival... with som friends." With a satisfied grin he sits down again and nearly topples over.
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:15 pm

Bjan laughs at Laenvan's enthusiasm. "Perhaps you had best plan to hand deliver such a letter yourself - you will surely be departing sooner and travelling faster than any caravan."
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:04 pm

Ulauf leaning back in his chair looks around at his companions and says "When would you have us leave?"
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Matt » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:12 pm

"The journey should take at least half a month," Bjan replies to Ulauf. "I would expect you'd want to leave right away before the snows of winter set in. Indeed, you should plan on spending the winter in Kaldor and returning in the spring. Unless you gain not troops but an attack on Thardan lands. Then you should send us word by a reliable courier and accompany the soldiers of Kaldor."
Matt
The GM

Postby Matt » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:22 pm

Drogo rises. "It sounds like you have some planning to do. Make out your list of provisions and send it to the castle - it shall be filled. Good night Selds."

With that, Bjan Drogo departs the clanhouse.
Matt
The GM

Postby Dragoran Shengaad » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:20 am

Dragoran notices a man leave the Seld clanhouse just as he approaches. He does a quick up and down inspection of the man before knocking on the clanhouse door and popping his head inside.

A quick glance show their to be several men sitting around drinking and talking in relatively hushed tones, except for one man who looks positively drunk.

Clearing his throat, Dragoran steps into the clanhouse properly.

"My name is Dragoran Shengaad. My father has sent me from Sherwyn to see if I can help in the current crisis. I heard of your current quest and thought I may be of some help"
Dragoran Shengaad
Squire
Squire

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:57 pm

The one who is drunk rises before any of the other has a chance to say something.

"Welcome, young Dragoran. I am Laenvan called Hawkeye in full right as I am a master longbower, in the service of Clan Seld and curently at the disposal of Lord Igon." He bows to Igon before he sits down and demands more to drink.
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:43 pm

A man is his mid twenties stands his blonde hair, blue eyes and 5' 1" lithe frame motions Dragoran to the table.

"You are welcome in our clanhouse." Uluaf points to his companions and introduces each in turn "I am Ulauf Seld son of Torsten Seld, this is Igon my cousin and son of Eldred Seld our clan Valhakar, this Jorst my brother and Huscarl to our clan, Laenvan you have met, Vagnar here is a physician from the lands to the south, Sven is another of our clan and last but by no means least this is Erdrick a cartographer and explorer. What have you been told of our situation?"

Ulauf calls for a maid to come and fill the newcomers drinking horn. "Forgive my abruptness, Dragoran, but we have not much time to banter before we depart for Tashal and if your help is to be used we need to know what you can do. What skills do you bring our group?"

Ulauf waits for Dragoran's drinking horn to be filled and looking towards Erdrick says "I wonder if you will be making this trip with us as it appears you have family business to attend to here at the moment."

Ulauf stands and holding his drinking horn high says "Olaf and your father sit at the Grey Slayers table now. May they battle, eat, drink and be merry the rest of their days. Let us honour their sacrifice!!"

Ulauf sits again

"If there is no more that we can think of to add to our supply list for Bjan I suggest we get the list to him soon that it can be completed."

"So Dragoran tell us of yourself?"
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Dragoran Shengaad » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:34 am

"As I stated, my name is Dragoran, and I am a scholar. I have spent the last 15 or so years studying various cultures, and peoples."

Dragoran moved himself closer to the small band and picked up the drinking horn. He studied the liquid, sniffed the contents, then had a healthy swig from the horn.

"Much better. I haven't had myself a decent drink for a good while. As I was saying, I travelled extensively through the land of Tharda, during King Arren's conquest. Although I do not know all that much indepth information, I am aware of his "disappearance", and the rise of his son Arren II. Unfortunately I know even less of him. I have heard tales from many of our people that the King maybe a mage of some sort, and I also hear that you have witnessed this first hand. I can tell you that Arren I was a mage of a kind. Of his son I am not too sure, but I have my suspicions"

Looking amongst the travellers, Dragoran continued on.

"So in short, I offer my services as a scholar. I can offer information on many different matters, but I believe my information on Tharda and its current ruler would help you best."

Dragoran sits back and sips at his drink, waiting to see if this band would take him up on his offer.
Dragoran Shengaad
Squire
Squire

Postby Ulauf Seld » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:37 am

"I see no purpose in having a 'scholar' amongst us as we are on our way to battle, but if the Grey Slayer has seen a purpose and sent you to us who I am to doubt."

Ulauf stands and holds out his hand in greeting "Welcome to our group!"

Ulauf then picks up several parchments that have the list of supplies needed for our journey, stands and says "I will take these to Bjan tonight so that efforts may be made to fill it as soon as possible."

Ulauf takes one last mouthful of mead from his drinking horn and makes for the door disappearing into the darkness.......
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:18 am

"Ah scholar you say, so so...." Laenvan musters Dragoran with a drunken glaze form head to toe... then as if enlighted by something a broad smile creeps on his face before he topples over and his snoring is the last thing you hear from him... at least for tonight.
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:16 am

Before very long, Ulauf returns, the list having been delivered to the castle. The evening wiles away in drink ...
Matt
The GM

Return to The Game's Afoot